News:

• April 24, 2024, 11:20:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: youtube beginner control line tutorials?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
youtube beginner control line tutorials?
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:22:26 AM »
A question was asked over at Cox engine forum. 
http://www.coxengineforum.com/t6689-control-line-hints-and-tips-for-beginners

And I did a short youtube search with failed results.  I just turn up a bunch of videos with parents flying with kids, not like full blown this will get you from nothing to flying like all RC flying types.

Maybe it needs done. 

Phil

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: youtube beginner control line tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:27:22 AM »
Sounds like you just volunteered.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
This is the best idea I've heard in a long time.  It finds the kids where they are.  Absolutely!  I hope somebody with the tech savy AND C/L knowledge will go for it.  Getting our sport exposed to the crowd is the right answer.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »
This is a handy beginners tutorial. There are videos on his site.......http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Starting.html
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
Shug, good link -- but having something on YouTube means it'll pop up in searches.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Shug, good link -- but having something on YouTube means it'll pop up in searches.

I Googled "control line flying for beginners" and got a great deal of printed info..

Some of my You Tube subscribers have asked me to do a "How-To"
I am going to as they seem to want to give it a go. Folks want to have fun after seeing someone else have fun.
Good stuff.  
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
I Googled "control line flying for beginners" and got a great deal of printed info..
control line flying for beginners
I am going to as they seem to want to give it a go. Folks want to have fun after seeing someone else have fun.
Good stuff. 
A man for our time.......

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »

Good stuff.  

Keep it simple!  For beginners who are starting by building their own planes, I'd show a profile plane, built from coreplast and dollar-store foam board, with the cheapest electric power system to be found.

I'd also show them where it can go, so they don't think that's the end point.

You know what you want to show, of course.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:55:46 PM »
I would recommend starting "box stock" with readily available setups such as a Flite Streak ARF on LA25S, or equivalent kits such as the Skyray 35 on the plywood ribs (yes, a crime, but BOX STOCK).  I know Brodak has some ARF offerings.

Scratch building is no longer considered "beginner", and kit bashing (Francherized Twister, etc) never was "beginner."  Heck in the RC world kits and balsa are considered pretty advanced.

Phil

PS: I have an ARF flite streak on backorder, but I was planning to kitbash it into electric...

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
Sounds like you just volunteered.

Maybe we need several people doing this on different setups.

Phil

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »

Good stuff.  

A true showman!

Shug is so entertaining to watch.  ;D
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
I would recommend starting "box stock" with readily available setups such as a Flite Streak ARF on LA25S, or equivalent kits such as the Skyray 35 on the plywood ribs (yes, a crime, but BOX STOCK).  I know Brodak has some ARF offerings.

Sig seems to have abandoned the control line business, so maybe not a Skyray.

I agree that scratch-building anything more than an all sheet plane would be way too much -- if I were going to recommend a "kit" to a dead beginner it'd be either an all-sheet trainer, or an ARF.
AMA 64232

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »
Keep it simple!  For beginners who are starting by building their own planes, I'd show a profile plane, built from coreplast and dollar-store foam board, with the cheapest electric power system to be found.

I'd also show them where it can go, so they don't think that's the end point.

You know what you want to show, of course.

I have been thinking about this and yes, this is another suitable way to go. 

I let anybody bash a coroplast wing with a cox engine on it.

However I have not done any electric in CL at this point, which is why I ordered the flite streak to kit bash...I hope I didn't come off too negative on the idea. 

Phil

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
I got my ARF flite streak today.  Suggestions? 

video #1
I was thinking I do an un-package and hit high points of assembly, show my 1/2A version (brodak kit) and one of my unfinished scratch build version (needs paint and covering) as well.

Video #2
Install engine and fuel system, and balance.  (Do I balance per plan?)

I was planning on tossing the included tank and putting a plastic tank on.  I have the 4oz dubro slant tank that I was planning to use (I also have a hayes 3 oz chin tank.)

Side note: I have never made videos before other than ~30 second clips that were uploaded raw.  I don't know how or where to start video editing.

Phil

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 08:46:53 PM »
You balance it 1 5/8" back from the leading edge.  The Top Flight ARFs specified a balance point much further back than that, and many people crashed.

You may want to mention when you balance it that control line planes generally need to balance much farther forward than RC or full scale planes -- this is a point of surprise and sometimes disbelief for RC people getting into CL, so it's good to mention it.
AMA 64232

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
Phil if I may suggest open with a flight shot to catch interest then as you go through the unpacking process you might want to explain where and how to get the materials and explain most of it will be internet mail order,  not from Walmart or a toy store.  May need a listing with contact info at the end of each video.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »
How about an ET-1 build? The most bulletproof plane on the market! Complete kit and power package available from www.rsmdistribution.com.

Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
How about an ET-1 build? The most bulletproof plane on the market! Complete kit and power package available from www.rsmdistribution.com.

Go for it! 

I would love to have more information on setting up an electric CL plane.  I am convinced electric is the way of the future, but I don't understand the control systems and setup for it. 

My Flite Streak ARF is through my "local" hobby shop, which in turn is through Tower Hobbies.  My OS25LA-S is actually a convert from the RC version.  Since the conversion is done already I was not intending to convert it back just to make it what it currently is..again.  I have 2 different plastic tanks, (hayes and dubro)... I have the "stuff" although it will be my first "big" airplane (I have only flown 1/2A). 

Currently I lack video editing knowledge, software, and time.  I have a Windows 8 desktop, (no touchscreen) an Android phone with a pretty good camera, a cheapo video camera that gives OK results, and no clue where to start.  I know there are good free tools available, but do not know what they are called.

Phil

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 05:51:19 AM »
This is a very helpful YouTube video series with almost all of the basic components.  I appreciate all the effort that folks put into helping newbies.

Hope this works...I am still an analog guy in a digital world!
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
Well I found all the videos on You Tube.   Well done, even though I have no sound on the computer people should be able to build from.   On the gluing I don't use CA for laminating or engine mounts.   Also I do not recommend using the excelerator stuff either.  But, that is just me. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 01:12:51 AM »
Hi, All.  I was the one who posted the original suggestion on the CEF.  I see all these suggestions, and they are all good.  But they are not the original intent.  There are plenty of discussions on what's the best trainer plane, or engine, or size, etc.  What I was suggesting is videos on just the mechanics of flying control line.  "Here's how you hold the control handle."  "Here's what happens when you make this motion."  "Remember to always launch with the wind instead of against or across it."  "Here's how you fly a level circuit."  "Here's how you enter a wing-over."  "Remember to do the wing-over with the wind instead of against it."  "Think about this as you enter your first loop."  "Remember to do the loop with the wind at your back."  "See? This is what your control handle is doing through the loop."

That kind of thing, with video from the pilot's view showing the plane's reaction.  Video of your arm/hand as you enter and exit the maneuver.  Video from outside the circle to see what the plane does.  Video that actually shows the beginner HOW to fly the plane.  There are plenty of videos on building the planes, or starting engines.  But none on what to do with the plane once you have it.  I see this as videos for people who don't have experiened people to teach them.  Face it, there are almost no control line clubs anymore.  A lot of people would have to drive an hour or more to find people to teach them.  I was thinking of doing tutorials for people who have to learn by themselves.

Mark

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »
Hi, All.  I was the one who posted the original suggestion on the CEF.  I see all these suggestions, and they are all good.  But they are not the original intent.  There are plenty of discussions on what's the best trainer plane, or engine, or size, etc.  What I was suggesting is videos on just the mechanics of flying control line.  "Here's how you hold the control handle."  "Here's what happens when you make this motion."  "Remember to always launch with the wind instead of against or across it."  "Here's how you fly a level circuit."  "Here's how you enter a wing-over."  "Remember to do the wing-over with the wind instead of against it."  "Think about this as you enter your first loop."  "Remember to do the loop with the wind at your back."  "See? This is what your control handle is doing through the loop."

That kind of thing, with video from the pilot's view showing the plane's reaction.  Video of your arm/hand as you enter and exit the maneuver.  Video from outside the circle to see what the plane does.  Video that actually shows the beginner HOW to fly the plane.  There are plenty of videos on building the planes, or starting engines.  But none on what to do with the plane once you have it.  I see this as videos for people who don't have experiened people to teach them.  Face it, there are almost no control line clubs anymore.  A lot of people would have to drive an hour or more to find people to teach them.  I was thinking of doing tutorials for people who have to learn by themselves.

Mark

Hey Mark.......I did do one aimed at the neophyte and found when shooting that there is SO MUCH to cover once you start. It would for sure be a series.
My hope is to keep adding and I like that you listed what you would want to see or film yourself.
It is fun to do but once you start linking things together you realize there is so much to this control line.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »
Now we know why some people get big $$$ for making movies.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »
Great  job!  That's a great video.  I'll direct my friends/acquaintances to this video when they show interest.

Mark

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here