News:

• May 07, 2024, 04:00:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Words of appreciation to the Norfolk Aeromodelers  (Read 2201 times)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Words of appreciation to the Norfolk Aeromodelers
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:09:48 AM »
I’m writing this to express my appreciation to the Norfolk Aeromodelers.

At the Carolina Classic in Huntersville earlier this month, while the awards for the various control line contests of the past three days were being passed out, I was called on to receive an unexpected award. I stood front and center as John Tate emerged from the crowd with a Sig Magnum, a huge red and yellow plane that looked to have a wingspan almost as wide as I am tall. He explained that it had been built by a Norfolk club member, the late Mike Garmon, and that they wanted to pass it on and help preserve memories of Mike and his contributions to our sport. Since shortly after Mike passed away in 2001, the plane has been in the possession of Mikes flying buddy Howard Shenton of the Metrolina Control Line Society, the Huntersville “Carolina Gang.” I was somewhat stunned and rather than saying something eloquently appropriate, I just stood there with a dumb grin on my face. I kind of worried about that, so now that the words come more easily, I take the time to write this open letter.

When Mike’s inventory of modeling equipment was being distributed among friends and fellow modelers, Howard remembered having watched the Magnum fly and felt a connection to it that he didn’t want to let slip away. Since then, it’s been flown occasionally, but over the years developed some hangar rash and was in danger of becoming another forgotten bit of history.  I suppose that’s where I come into the scene.

After a lifetime of hacking out 1/2A planes and terrorizing the neighbors as a lone flyer, I outgrew my field and joined a club near my home at Fort Jackson, SC. I was again the lone CL guy until I hooked up with my club president’s friend, Wayne Robinson, another CL flyer and also a member of MCLS with Howard and company. A year ago as I write this, I didn’t even know competitive control line of any sort existed. To make a long story short, I’m in it deep now, and have two contests in H’ville under my belt, and have immensely enjoyed the company of everyone in the hobby. Not only the company but the spirit of sharing and helping that defines this sport, and the determination to keep it going, remembering who got us where we are, and most importantly to pass it on to future generations. I never imagined being a part of something as great as this.

So, in the spirit of passing it on, though I’m not exactly all that future generationish… I’m honored to be chosen as a worthy recipient of this airplane, and will give it a good home and a useful life at the field. Howard has shored up the internals and I will treat the hangar rash with a good looking new paint job while preserving Mike Garmon’s original color scheme. On the wing there is a message that says, Built by and flown in memory of Mike Garmon, 1947-2001. And that, I promise I will do. And when the time comes, I will make sure it’s passed along to the next deserving and upcoming modeler along with all of the history I can document which I will make sure stays with it.

Before being committed to maintenance, I figured I should take the old girl out for a few flights. So I taped up the bare spots as best as I could, grabbed my camera and my flying buddy and headed out to the field. Before my first flight of the Magnum, I’d never flown a plane with flaps, except for a few trim flights on my little and new Yak-9. Nor had I flown anything larger than a Skyray 35, my current stunter. But I ain’t afraid. Wayne and I get it cranked and I wave it off to try a few low wingovers, make sure the engine hangs in there and see if the wings are level. It pulls harder than I ever imagined. Once I knew it would hang in there, I only did a couple of wingovers and loops, but it was pulling my 125 pound frame off of my center spot on the downwind side of every lap. I’m thinking, Oh hell what have I gotten into now, but I hung in there until it ran out of fuel and I iced it in for a nice landing. We put it up for one more to get it on camera and I managed a passable beginner pattern, still learning how she turns and reacts to my inputs and managed to grease another nice landing, something I’ve always struggled with before. But this one slides in like a figure skater on fresh ice.

Over lunch, we were talking props and trim and realized the prop I brought it home with is not the one Wayne and Will had been testing with. Somehow it had gotten a 12x6 on it and I had been flying in the mid 4s. So I put a 12x4 Zinger on and we put up another flight. A completely different animal now, low 5s and no more pulling me around, even in the higher wind of the early afternoon, and now I was the boss! Wow, I can fly this thing. I put it through the paces as slick as I’ve ever done. This time when I greased yet another landing, I was grinning like I’m supposed to be after a flight. So now I can fix it up knowing I have a superior stunter and that it’s a really good fit for me. I had been a bit worried about that after the first two flights, but now I’m ecstatic. Very comfortable for me to fly. Thank goodness I tried that other prop, it was the magic. So every time I fly it, I’ll try to mention Mike Garmon’s name quietly to myself as I move up through the classes of Control line precision aerobatics. As of this last contest, I’ve been ceremoniously kicked out of beginner, and next time you all see me, I’ll be flying on a different circle at Huntersville. I’m not ready to fly the Magnum in contests yet, more likely still a Skyray or maybe my new Oriental. But if I ever know some Norfolk guys are going to be in H’ville whenever I’m there for a fun fly day, I will certainly bring the old girl and we’ll put one up for Mike.

Of course the camera died… I swear… ::)  just in time for my crown jewel of the day, but at least I got my first full flight on record. The video and some pictures are posted below. I recommend watching directly on Youtube, and if it’s jerky, click the “Gear” icon in the viewer and choose a lower resolution like 480p.

Thanks John Tate, Howard Shenton and all of the Norfolk Aeromodelers.
Rusty Knowlton

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:31:56 AM by RknRusty »
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline John Tate

• Commander
Re: Words of appreciation to the Norfolk Aeromodelers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:50 PM »
Rusty,
Mike Garmon would be proud that you are flying the Magnum again. Mike used that Magnum to experiment with four stroke engines. Make sure the controls are tight because that model has been flown many times. Mike Garmon was the kind of guy that liked to build and fly control line models. I am glad that Howard Shenton decided that you were the one to carry the Magnum on to the next generation.

John Tate
Norfolk Aeromodelers

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
You to are so lucky to have a great group of guys to fly with.   I love the video as I think I get more fun out of watching others fly than I do flying. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
Thanks Rusty, i really enjoyed both the video and what you wrote. A class act.  H^^

Out of interest, how did you get the model in the car?!

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
Well I was a little worried about the car. I was headed to the Joe Nall where Howard had brought the plane for me to retrieve. I walked around both of our cars with a tape measure, thinking, with the seats folded down, if I could feed the outboard wing through an open window and angle the other wing and the shorter fuse through the door opening... etc. etc., I could probably get it in there. If I couldn't, there would be a bunch of people who could take it until I come up with a better plan. But it fit easier than I expected in my Mazda P5. I even have room for all of my gear. I love that car.

I'm glad you all like the story, I sure do feel lucky to have gotten in with such a bunch of great folks. And being a fairly new member of the gang, I appreciate the trust and respect that I am getting from them. This is like a whole new life for me. After my best friends died young, I figured it was just me and my wife and son, which was fine, but this has been a wonderful surprise. And meeting so many people that remember me from Stunthangar has been a treat too. And I get to see some of these remarkable planes in real life. The new Fanfare, the Matrix, wow front row planes right in front of my eyes. I even got to turn some minor screws on Watt, Will and Wayne's Fanfare. This is the life.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:51:31 PM »
Great story Rusty, the Norfolk group are very cool!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
Great story Rusty, the Norfolk group are very cool!!
Yes they are. And thanks, Ray.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
I feel this plane will heighten your oncoming pattern a bunch. The Magnum has for sure found a mighty fine home with you.
Very much enjoyed your story and you deserve it.
Nice gutsy flying on the video. Your fortunate to get some coaching. I do love the hat-in-hand overhead 8s..........
Your enthusiasm is contagious)))))
Mighty fine.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline howard shenton

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
I got one of the greatest feelings in the world this past week seeing the Magnum fly the way it was capable of doing with Will Davis at he handle and then with the video of Rusty doing his thing later on in the week.

Had planned on trying stunt (the dark side  :)) but my recent illness has messed up my balance to the point that I have trouble with any overhead maneuver's. Rusty had just started flying with us (MCLS) and was enthusiastic about flying. It seemed like a good fit so I decided to give it to him. Looks like I was right after talking with him and reading his post.

The motor mounts were in pretty bad shape with at least 4 holes in each mount. Replaced the hardwood mounts and beefed up the front end.
Flew one flight after the rebuild with a Tiger 46 on 60' lines over asphalt at Huntersville. Good pull, no problem for me as I am twice Rusty's weight, but fast for a stunt flight 4.3 or.4 per lap. Did not try any maneuver's as I have spent most of my life flying combat over grass.
DO NOT LIKE FLYING OVER HARD SURFACES.

The Engine is an OS Max FX46 that had been acquired, cheaply, a long time ago with no known history. When Will cranked it up at Joe Nall for the first flight it was the first time it had been run in years. Maybe not the best stunt engine but it seems to be working.

Defiantly  a WARM FUZZY feeling

Howard Shenton
Howard Shenton AMA 83412
Mauldin, SC 29662

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »

Great story, the likes of what is so great about our C/L modeling hobby. Looks and sounds like the Magnum found the perfect home. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
I got one of the greatest feelings in the world this past week seeing the Magnum fly the way it was capable of doing with Will Davis at he handle and then with the video of Rusty doing his thing later on in the week.

Had planned on trying stunt (the dark side  :)) but my recent illness has messed up my balance to the point that I have trouble with any overhead maneuver's. Rusty had just started flying with us (MCLS) and was enthusiastic about flying. It seemed like a good fit so I decided to give it to him. Looks like I was right after talking with him and reading his post.

The motor mounts were in pretty bad shape with at least 4 holes in each mount. Replaced the hardwood mounts and beefed up the front end.
Flew one flight after the rebuild with a Tiger 46 on 60' lines over asphalt at Huntersville. Good pull, no problem for me as I am twice Rusty's weight, but fast for a stunt flight 4.3 or.4 per lap. Did not try any maneuver's as I have spent most of my life flying combat over grass.
DO NOT LIKE FLYING OVER HARD SURFACES.

The Engine is an OS Max FX46 that had been acquired, cheaply, a long time ago with no known history. When Will cranked it up at Joe Nall for the first flight it was the first time it had been run in years. Maybe not the best stunt engine but it seems to be working.

Defiantly  a WARM FUZZY feeling

Howard Shenton
Thanks for everything Howard. That plane is Really something, eclipsing all of my other ones hanging in the shop. It should be back in action by late Summer. After I finish the Skyray on the table now, and the Oriental, the Magnum is next in line.

That fx.46 is a surprising powerplant. The kit box I've seen says it's rated for a .40 to .60. This plane weighs 68.9 ounces with 700 square inches and that engine hauls it around effortlessly. I'm betting a plain bearing .46 would be lugging. Anybody know what a Magnum is supposed to weigh? I read over at SSW 47-50 ounces, but that's a heck of a difference. It turns corners and pulls out of a dive as sharp as anything I've flown, so to me, it doesn't feel fat at all.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline ron young

• 2014 Supporters
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 04:30:33 AM »
Great video and story thanks for sharing