News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:14:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bias handle  (Read 8296 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Bias handle
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
Top two are my TED handles, 60g. each. Many pull the 'brackets' in as close as possible while clearing the fingers, glue them with CA, and tighten down the screws very well. I finished these two from kits, but many make clones from aluminum or CF plate. This grip tape is intended for fishing rods, but tennis racket stuff works fine, and there are other alternatives. The finish is two coats of finishing epoxy, sanded after the first coat. Second coat was acceptably smooth, but some really polish the snot out of them. The sweet thing about handle kits is that you can make them fit your hand. 

Next picture is Paul Walker's "Predator" handle, made from CF plate. I think he said under 20 grams. With CF, you have to bush the holes. Light weight is especially important if line tension is low, such as small models or bad trim or just when things are going "South". Better to feel how loose the lines are, rather than the weight of the handle.

Standard procedure is to use 3 stock clips and one longer than standard clip to adjust neutral. One handle and set of lines for each model. This saves a lot of messing around, flying with misadjusted neutral...a very good way to crash. My process is to use two stock clips on the plane end, and leave one on one of the LO's, and one on the other line. I leave both clips on the handle, and of course hook to the plane first and handle last, when running out the lines. Others do it opposite, but I'd rather not drag my handle across the asphalt. I think I have a picture of the Derek Moran clip bending fixture, but here's a picture of the standard Sullivan clip. I use 3 of these and one longer, homemade one.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2014, 05:09:43 AM »
.... flying with misadjusted neutral...a very good way to crash.    H^^ Steve
Or spend five minutes with your wrist locked in the up position which results in a cramped forearm muscle! Ask me how I know this! LOL
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline KevinCrowns

• New Pilot
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »
Hey Bro Bill,  had to go look at the initial post on this after seeing John's post.   You kid you,  I thought you were older than me.   One habit I am still working on is smoking.  Been since Thanksgiving eve 1988 when I lit that last cigarette manufactured by ecigs manufacturerand almost choked on it.  Still quitting as I still get the urge to light up.  
Well friend I am following similar path and trying hard to quit smoking.. What measures have you taken to quit this horrible habit..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:06:59 AM by KevinCrowns »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
Try a bag of black licorice for as long as you can stand it.   Every time you want to light up eat a piece of licorice.   One day you will stand up to flush the eternal throne and notice what is there.   That does it for me as I still think of what my insides looked like back then and it reminds me of what the cigarettes do to the lungs. 

Now to the hard point handle.   It is hard to convince some people that you need to check and set neutral on any handle before fueling the plane so you can fly.   My grandson is learning by experience why he should set the neutral before take off.   It has cost me a prop or two.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »
Now to the hard point handle.   It is hard to convince some people that you need to check and set neutral on any handle before fueling the plane so you can fly.   My grandson is learning by experience why he should set the neutral before take off.   It has cost me a prop or two.   

That right there is why you want a dedicated set of lines and handle for each plane. At minimum, it saves you going around and around (and around), flying out a tank (or battery) because the neutral is off. Finding the exactly right neutral is a very subtle adjustment and will affect your takeoff and your upright/inverted "groove" at 4.9'. PTG has been said to take months to get neutral set to his satisfaction. My own experience was similar...with my SV-11, I could get my upright/inverted groove pretty good, but the darned thing always leaped into the air too quickly. Pete and Mike told me to adjust my handle, but I dragged my feet. Finally did, after a couple months, and was shocked and amazed. I guess lessons learned hard are lessons well learned? My current dog needs to be coaxed to get off the ground in 1/4 lap and climb to 4.9'...I think that's about right.

As for smoking...never done it, so never had the problem. HOWEVER...I have talked to a few smokers who said "I want to quit" or "I will try to quit", or "I should quit". What they need to say and think and believe is "I AM going to quit, I will NEVER pick up another one of those things again, ever." Determination is key. Can you be a stubborn SOB when you need to be? They say that stressful situations are the hardest and the times when you're most likely to pick 'em up again. You've got to brace yourself for that, and maybe have a plan (licorice sticks...yuk!!!). You might consider smacking yourself in the back of the head!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
I tried licorice on the handle and couldn't say the results were very good. One idea I did pick up that may be useable to many is using WD-40 to remove sticky substances such as contact glue residue, licorice, glue boards, etc.

A good pair of running shoes almost got tossed, but the tar released from  the soles with just a quick blast of WD. Lizards I've caught inadvertently on glue boards can be easily removed. Try next time you run into this dilemma, you'll like it.
dg
dg

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »
...and any number of primarily aerodynamic factors that influence the quality of our tricks) and now, having pretty much filled the library in those regards...

We'll soon need a bigger library.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2014, 07:48:58 PM »
What I find interesting (and amusing) is that some of those top fliers (truly golden arms) who extoll the virtues of holding the handle vertical throughout the flight, don't do it themselves.

Keith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »
I've noticed that on a few.   As I told my grandson, fly where you are comfortable and then we adjust the handle.   My son was the same,  his neutral was different than mine.  What puzzles me is why when I check neutral on the ground before flying I have to adjust it again after I fly.   Once set no problems with that combination of plane, handle and lines.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here