News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:35:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Stand Question  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint Stand Question
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:30:10 AM »
I am almost finished with my copy of Byron Barker's paint stand.  I have all the dimensions except the aluminum plate that holds the model.  I believe it is 1/4" thick.  Can someone give me the length and width?

Thanks.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Paint Stand Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »
This may not help as my paint stand is my own design.. I have about 4 different pieces I made for different types of airplanes. The dimensions were what ever fit the motor mounts for the type of fuselage I was working on at the time. Between the 4, I have always been able to find one that would work for anything new.

My suggestion, make it fit what you are working on and go from there.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
If you are using the plate in place of the engine, why 1/4 inch?   I use dowel rod that fits my stand and 1/8 ply(5 ply) for holding the plane.   It held my P-39 with no problems.    I notch the dowel for the ply to have a flat surface to bolt to. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »
I believe the original BB stands had 1/4" aluminum mounting plates.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »
Would y'all mind posting pictures of your rigs?  I'll be needing to build one here soon.  Need some ideas

Mike Griffin

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
Dick I sent you an e mail

Mike

Offline Larry Fruits

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »
 My BB stands came with 3/16 aluminum plate. I made additional plates from 1/8 aluminum and 1/16 steel. Size them to fit plane and engine.

Larry

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:07:02 AM »
Would y'all mind posting pictures of your rigs?  I'll be needing to build one here soon.  Need some ideas

Not sure this will do you much good as my setup is pretty unique due to the hardware I salvaged. I did find a couple photos that may show what I did.
First photo was when I was painting the Skylark. It shows the Camera Tripod I was using with an insert of the mount I made. The heart of the mount is a fitting off a studio flash the is normally used to mount the flash to a stand. It is a cast chunk of aluminum with a 1/2 inch hole and thumb screw to tighten it on the stand. I made a plate out of 1/8 inch aluminum that bolts to the flash mount then bolts to the motor mounts in the airplane. I had a bunch of the flash mounts from modifying flashes for my ride photo systems.

2nd and 3rd photos were when I painted 3 FJ-4-15's all at the same time. I made mounts for all 3 using the Flash mounts and somewhere along the way I switched over from the tripod to the A frame shown. Joe Gilbert gave me the A frame, believe it was a jig he used when he was building his home built full scale. Worked great as a paint stand.

I also have mounts bolted to one of my benches, one vertical and one horizontal. I can leave the flash mount in the airplane and move it to the bench to mask, sand or install control surfaces and position it any way that makes whatever I'm doing easiest. 4th photo shows my Latency mounted on the bench when I was covering the fuselage with carbon.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »

Sean,

This is what I've used for years on both C/L and giant scale R/C.  Not fancy, takes about 30 minutes to build.  Obviously the options for something of this sort are endless, but I hope this will show that the paint stand doesn't have to be over engineered.  I have different nose mounts for different types of airplanes.  This is the smallest and works well for light airplanes only!  Hope this helps.

Paul

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Just measured my plates from BB. 2" X 2" X 3/16". I've used 1/8" alum. on my homemade holders no Problem.. Looked at my 1/16" and they were kind of bent!
These were for 35 to 60 sized ships.

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »
If 1/8" plywood works, then 1/8" aluminum should be plenty, unless maybe it's dead soft.

I use a piece of 3/8" x 1" steel tube welded to a 1/8" steel plate, because that's what was lying in the scrap by my welding bench when I needed a paint stand.  I hold it to a saw horse with a vice grip.  It is most definitely low-tech and ugly -- but it gets the job done!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
from this photo I looks like 1/4" aluminum plate.
Joe Daly

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 04:12:02 PM »
from this photo I looks like 1/4" aluminum plate.

It also looks interchangeable, like the rod is drilled and tapped to accept bolts to hold the plate on.  Make up the rod, then use whatever is handy to make the plate to match your engine.  

The engine lug thickness of the desired engine in aluminum or steel should be plenty of material.  Go the next common size thicker if there is any question.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here