News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific Dynamic  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Richard Logston

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Scientific Dynamic
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
Thought I would post a recent build from yesteryear. Built from scratch, hollow log construction. Have not flown it yet but will this spring as weather warms up. Powered with an O&R 23 FR engine. Covering is polyspan and Rust. paint. I am having problems posting the airplane picture. I get an error report that file is to large. Will keep trying to get it down in size to post. The picture with the kit box went through ok. Finally got the picture to go through!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:24:20 PM by Richard Logston »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Scientific Dynamic
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:05:07 PM »
Now THERE'S an Old Timer!  O&R engine and everything.  Nice job!

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
Thought I would post a recent build from yesteryear. Built from scratch, hollow log construction. Have not flown it yet but will this spring as weather warms up. Powered with an O&R 23 FR engine. Covering is polyspan and Rust. paint. I am having problems posting the airplane picture. I get an error report that file is to large. Will keep trying to get it down in size to post. The picture with the kit box went through ok. Finally got the picture to go through!

That's really nice!  There are a bunch of pretty cool-loking sport planes that you pretty much never see, because everyone is building stunt planes.

Brett

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »
. . . There are a bunch of pretty cool-loking sport planes that you pretty much never see, because everyone is building stunt planes.
     Brett
=============================================================

Agreed.  Jim Lee (Aeronca C-3, Spirit of St. Louis, deBolt Wildcat and others) and Keith Trostle (Spirit of St. Louis, Swee Pea, etc.) have appeared many times with historic designs which, while not particularly competitive, 'wow'd' us all.  Not to be forgotten is Tom McClain with his low-wing Bellanca from several years ago.

We just don't see enough of these.  Those who bring and fly them in competition are to be commended.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:52:03 PM »
That is one good looking old timer with that O&R up front.  Maybe we need more flying just for fun. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
Wow, that is one sweet job!! Nice finish!  The O&R 23 brings back sweet memories as well, was my first "big" engine!  Thanks for posting.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
I am pleased that my post brings back memories for many of you folks. I never owned one as a kid but come close. Let me explain. In 7th grade my buddy who had a paper route bought one with the O&R engine and managed 2 laps before crashing. So we approached a local resort owner who had a couple broken WW11 surplus life rafts for the balsa wood in them. He gave us as much as we could carry home. So we made kits in wood shop but for some reason I can't remember why we never finished them. ( I think our interest turned to sports and girls, not sure which one had top priority. So I decided to build one. The picture I sent was one without the windshield which has since been installed. It was a fun project. I keep looking at that short low aspect ratio wing at 26 inch span and wonder why the designer did not at least go to 28 inches. These airplanes are designed for fun only, isn't that what we are trying to accomplish. 

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
These airplanes are designed for fun only, isn't that what we are trying to accomplish. 

Fun, yes. But then the question becomes "Are you going to loop it?". If you are, then you'll have more fun if it doesn't crash, right? So then you will want a better design with a better engine, I bet. The better the plane flies, the easier it gets to avoid crashes, yeilding more fun! That's a fact...

If you haven't got the picture posting deal figured out, I can help. I like to get pictures down to 600 to 800 pixels wide and compress them to 100 to 150 KB's. At (no more than) 100 KB's each, you can post 10 pics per post. You can email or PM me and we'll figure it out. But I'm going fishing tomorrow morning...   ;D  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »
Not to worry!  My first two C/L models were powered by O&R 23.   The second one actually flew, but like yours, not very good above 45 degrees!  But that's OK.  Just go around some and pretend it's 1946 all over again!

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
Fine job Richard!
Looks great and I'm pleased to see an O&R .23 will fly again.
I have one and it's my favorite oldie - I like the primitive look and it's a pleasure to start and run just on the bench.
Hope to put it on an Akromaster ('cause I have one partly built) pretty soon.

Terry

NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
Hey I did that for years flying the little 1/2A Scientific kits I could afford.   How many pilots of Piper Cubs go out an fly from their local base airport?   And Steve, you mention fishing.  Did you start out with the bamboo pole with a string and fishing hook on the end like I vaguely remember?   I know Grandpa had several fishing rods with fancy reels plus the lures and other paraphanelia.   But, I lost count how many times he would just take the old bamboo pole and just go sit on the bank of Wyandotte County Lake and fish as he called it.   I think it was really his way of getting away from life. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
Thought I would fire up the O&R 23FR today but not having any luck. I had a O&R Side port when I was 12 years old running as a sparky later changed to glow and it would run at will. All I get is a tired arm and a few pops. I did get one engine run but took a lot of cranking. I'm running home brew 25% Sig castor and 75 % methanol. The prop is a 9-4 wood. The engine is tight with good compression and very little actual run time. Very slight sign of bolt mounting on engine lugs. In fact engine appears to be new. This engine was a gift from a friend. It is pictured in my Dynamic post. The needle valve has two holes so I checked for dirt and it is clean so I installed the needle with one hole facing forward and the other facing aft. I started at three turns out and only got it to run one tank out with the needle four turns out. I did not try to adjust needle in do to the exhaust next to the needle. May have to make an extension. Any thoughts from you folks. My starting procedure is fill tank , give a choke to see fuel entering venturi, prime in exhaust turn prop by hand a couple flips, attach glow driver and bring prop up to a bump and flip by hand. I don't feel I should use a electric starter on these old engines. I should mention that the glow plug lights up great, not sure the brand ,appears to be a OS. Richard

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »
With that low a compression ratio, it needs a little nitro. Try 10%.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »
That there is a cool little plane for sure. I'd build one!  ;D
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

Really cool little plane, nice job!!! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Terry Caron

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »
Mine starts and runs fine on 0 nitro/75 meth/25 oil Richard, turns a 9x4 APC to 11 K.
The NVA can be installed thru the other side of the venturi to avoid hot exhaust.
Try 1 1/2 turns out initial - I started @ 4 turns and had to come in a couple to get a proper run.

Best of luck.

Terry

Edit:
Checked my notes Richard - make that 2 turns initial.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:01:40 PM by Terry Caron »
NACA member, Huntsville, AL
AMA 249824
NRA Life Member

Offline Richard Logston

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Ok, 2 turns out. I was starting at three just to keep it rich to start. Will try the 2 turns tomorrow and see what happens. I know about turning the needle around but my fuel line would have to route around the engine to reach other side, not sure about fuel draw but will try. Richard

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here