News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spring Tuneup?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Spring Tuneup?
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:08:42 PM »
Oh my -- it's just 7 days until the first day of the tuneup, and 9 until PA on Sunday!  I don't think I'm ready yet.  Can we set the contest back?

Who's going?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Spring Tuneup?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
I am contemplating it,, not decided yet,, I know I am NOT ready,, but that never stopped me before
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I won't be there, but I may make it to the whatever it's going to called over Memorial Day in Salem.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
I am going in for a hernia repair on Friday, looks like a major repair job too... so I won't even be able to walk... But I am gearing up for the rest of the season..

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
Tim,
I talked to Mr. Walker yesterday and he'll be down along with Haverly, Cox and myself.  Not sure if any of us except Paul is really ready.   Haven't talked to Howard in a bit but last I heard he was busy spraying paint on the new dog.  Most of us will arrive on Saturday.  Haverly has grandpa things to do and will get there Sunday.
Alan

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
Checking weather for the weekend.  Looks like "maybe".  I'll fly PAMPA stunt on Sunday.  Possibly OTS if it looks sunny and warm (!!)

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
Checking weather for the weekend.  Looks like "maybe".

I think it'll be a weekend for raincoats, and remembering that whoever is willing to fly will be the ones who get scores!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Joe Just

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:09:42 PM »
I am planning on being there on Sunday to fly Carrier. I just checked the weather and there is a 40% change of clear skies Sunday.  In any case when flying Carrier it's easy to sandbag somewhat. These are the two planes I will be bringing. The blue on will be entered in NW Sport .40 using an FP.35. The gray one will be entered in AMA Profile with a FP.35 on board as well.
Joe

John Leidle

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
  I'll be there , most likely will fly on Sunday only.
      John

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
I feel tuned.  Sunday turned out have some quite decent weather, interspersed with rain, hail*, and even a bit of thunder.

We flew during the decent bits.  There was something like seven people in PA on Saturday, about 14 on Sunday.  Combat was at it both Saturday and Sunday (I wasn't there Friday).  Carrier (all two of them) seemed to have a grand time.  That's about all I can say about combat and carrier -- I stuck pretty close to the stunt circle except for helping to load the carrier deck at the end of the day Sunday.

I'd like to say that there were no crashes in CLPA, but Floyd Carter ran out of engine in the overhead eights in his first flight for Advanced, then compounded his grief by slipping on the wet pavement then fell and hit his head.  His plane looks reparable, and so did he, so we should see him again.

All in all it was a nice contest.  It was even cooler for me because I broke 500 for the first time.

----

* "Hail", in Oregonian, refers to little pellets no bigger than a BB.  In extreme storms we may get them up to a whopping 1/4" in diameter.  It's not Midwest hail by any stretch of the imagination.
AMA 64232

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
I still don't understand how my head bump is on the very top of my noggin!  I must have done a complete back flip!  The plane mostly landed by itself, because I was so dazed that I don't remember it coming down.

It took out one landing gear block, which is now glued back.  Broke the stinger off the muffler (rear exhaust-brass tube), and that is repaired.

F.C.
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Glad you are alright Floyd... I really enjoyed watching you fly at the Fall Follies... I am sitting here with a 10" cut across my abdomen... and it starting to feel better.. first couple of days sucked... I hate pain...

Are we going to have to wear hard hats?

JJ

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
No.  Just avoid flying on wet pavement.

F.C.