News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Top Flite Score  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 2013 Nats
Top Flite Score
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
I bought this Top Flite Score from Allen Brickhaus a little over a year ago. Allen had plans of reworking it to resemble another model but didnt have the time and sold it to me to help fund his trip to the VSC.  It has an Evolution 60NX in it that has been reworked by Byron Barker. I even contacted Tom Morris and had him make a whole new control system. The plane is still in take apart form. Thinking about gluing it together to make everything permanent Allen wanted to be around to see the maiden flight. Well change of plans. Heres a video of a test run i did before i go and maiden it.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Top Flite Score
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
     I would encourage glueing the wing in. I have a Score with a Saito .56 in it and I like it a lot. It was originally in bolt together form when I got it and I lfew it that was for a couple of seasons, but noticed the wing would wiggle a bit after that. Unless you really have to take it apart to put it in your car, I would glue it together. The Evo .60 will put some stress and strain on the air frame. Also, keep an eye on the front end structure. Mine came apart in mid flight at Oshkosh a few years ago while I was running out the tank. The fuselage is glued with hot melt glue, and it just can't stand the strain. I was able to peel the old glue off while reconstructing. I used CA to reassemble, added some extra gussets and stuff. and brushed a coat of thinned epoxy over everything. The repair of the fuse went really easy because it only broke the fuse sides, everything else just came apart, so it went right back together like a puzzle. One thing I noticed after the repair was I could feel some viration at the handle where I couldn't before the crash, that is how more solid the nose was after the repair! The rubbery like glue joints were just soaking up the engine vibrations. Good luck with yours, I'm sure the first flights will be observed from up above!
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
Thanks Dan. I forgot to mention, i did go through the motor mount and firewall and clean off the hot melt and pot it sopme bracing with epoxy  as Allen B. had advised. So far i have done three runs on the engine and no issues. Plus i did go back and reinforce the landing gear blocks in the wing. Dan i remember you flew yours At Paducah this last year. I liked the way it flew.

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
Tomorrow it gets its maiden flight! YAY!!!   A little nervous though/ :! :-\

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
I finally maidened  My score yesterday. Flies great!! Needs a little trimming. But all in all, it flies great. The evolution 60 NX reworked by byron runs great and is perfect power for the score. Couldint be happier.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »
That's good news. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline donchandler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 06:51:18 PM »
I have a St .51 with a drilled out venturi and a peice of arrow shaft epoxied in the venturi  in my "Score" and it flys great. I'm not that experienced a stunt flyer so it is a bit much but I see the potential there, can do most of the pattern with it. I glued my wing in and put a brace where the wing and fuselage meet on the bottom so there is no vibratiom. Did the same thing with my "Legacy" and it flys even  better.
Don Chandler

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »
Instead of inserting pieces into the venture, why not used the old nylon stocking trick that works on some engines.   The more layers the more restriction until you get what you want for an engine run.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
My first Saito powered stunt ship was a Score with a Saito 56. It started out just a quick way to get a 4 stroke in the air and ended up being my go to airplane for when the wind was blowing. Flew it till the covering wouldn't stay on then gave it to another club member. He de-oiled it as best could be done and recovered it. I bought another one but it's still in the box. One of these days I'll strip the covering and build it with better covering. They do fly really well with a little tweaking and the right power also a terrific airplane to fly when you don't want to risk your primary stunt ship.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here