News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:33:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello Kitty Line Clips?  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Hello Kitty Line Clips?
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
If I may ask.....what areHello Kitty Line Clips for? Are they for attaching the plane lead out wires directly to the handle?
I never saw them in my old days of flying.
Thankee in advance for any info.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Hello Kitty Line Clips?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
Hello Kitty line clips are regular-style line clips that come in a variety of different length.  They're used with hard-point handles to adjust neutral.  They're called "Hello Kitty" clips because they came in surplus zip-lock bags with "Hello Kitty" faces on them (how cute!).

They're distributed by -- uh, well, dangit, I can't remember.  Someone will say.

They're an alternative to using line clips bent on a Derick Moran-style clip bender (in various lengths, of course).  Jim Lee sells the benders, or you can make one once you've seen one.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
Hello Kitty line clips are regular-style line clips that come in a variety of different length.  They're used with hard-point handles to adjust neutral.  They're called "Hello Kitty" clips because they came in surplus zip-lock bags with "Hello Kitty" faces on them (how cute!).

They're distributed by -- uh, well, dangit, I can't remember.  Someone will say.

They're an alternative to using line clips bent on a Derick Moran-style clip bender (in various lengths, of course).  Jim Lee sells the benders, or you can make one once you've seen one.
Thank you fine feller)))) I saw them on Randy Smith's site. The mystery is solved. Makes sense now.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »
When you use a hard point handle, you need to make an assortment of different length line clips , to adjust the handle neutral.The commonly used ones look something like paper clips. The "Hello Kitty" line clips are the most deluxe type you can use, and they provide maybe an extra measure of security. They come in a set in about 1mm increments , and there is no way the line can be accidentally unfastened.They are a bit more expensive than making your own , but they will probably last your lifetime, and you can be proud to use them.  I sure do.Buy them from Randy Smith at "Aero Products".
Keith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:25 AM »
A side note here.  If you are using a hard point handle, use one set of clips on the handle.   At the plane where the lines hook to the lead outs is where you want to use different length clips.  I use a clip that matches the handle clips on the down line.   The up line gets the different size line clip.   One handle, one set of lines and several airplanes.   Leave the up line on and you won't have to worry which line is which.  I roll up lines from the handle end with the plane end of the  lines staked down.   Once in a while it is a good idea to walk the lines before hooking up the handle after rolling them out from the plane.   This is my way of doing it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:28:54 AM »
I see the pic on the site but can't see how they work.

MM

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »
I see the pic on the site but can't see how they work.

Get some, it'll be obvious.  Basically there's one piece of wire bent into the shape you see, with an open end that's hidden under a sheet metal collar.  The collar prevents the clip from opening until it's slid out of the way.  It takes way longer to type this than you'll spend going "aha!" when you have one in your hand.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
Get some, it'll be obvious.  Basically there's one piece of wire bent into the shape you see, with an open end that's hidden under a sheet metal collar.  The collar prevents the clip from opening until it's slid out of the way.  It takes way longer to type this than you'll spend going "aha!" when you have one in your hand.

???  Hello Kitty clips use a spring, not a sheet metal collar.
Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
???  Hello Kitty clips use a spring, not a sheet metal collar.

Oops.  I'm thinking of the clips that come from Sig, Brodak, Sullivan, etc.
AMA 64232

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
Oops.  I'm thinking of the clips that come from Sig, Brodak, Sullivan, etc.

Those are the Luxon clips. They have been banned at various times for the tendency to open up and then straighten themselves out. They are brass underneath the plating.

Randy's "Hello Kitty" clips* work similarly, with a spring replacing the sheet metal catch, and are made of steel. There is no way they are opening up in flight, nor would they straighten out.

Brett

*a name I believe I coined, no doubt to Randy's joy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here