News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Server outage  (Read 3041 times)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Server outage
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:20 AM »
Yesterday day we took a server hit. I am currently looking to move our home. This is the 6Th time in less than a year we have had this issue. I do apologize but this is out of my hands. We are now back to full swing
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Server outage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:26:40 AM »
Should have given everyone the oppurtunity to do something different then sit in front of computor. Like build, fly, look at engines, get reaquainted with wife/girlfriend, have sex or anything else.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:51 AM »
I don't think changing servers will help much with all the hackers we have out there in this world.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:56 AM »
I don't think changing servers will help much with all the hackers we have out there in this world.  
The site and server was not hacked. For the last 8 years we have been here, They have changed management and this is what you get. Incompetence just as in everything else. We had zero issues before now its once a month.

After reading FB and twitter with some 18K + customers affected I will be a surprised if they don't take a big hit. This was a perfect example of Goober twits loading software into the network with out having a back up plan or even testing the software first.
AMA 12366

George Hostler

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
Wish you good success in finding a new server provider for this forum, Robert. I really enjoying reading the threads and the good community here. Yes, an interruption once in a while due to uncertainties in life and technology (equipment failures, weather affecting the 'net, etc.) is understandable. When it is more often can be frustrating and affect user's experiences.

So far I've been able to live with the down times, just real appreciative that there are genuine folk still out there who really love to fly CL.

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:13 AM »
Statement from my life as a programmer...

"We never have time to do it right, But we always have time to fix it!"

Ward-O   n~
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »
Statement from my life as a programmer...

"We never have time to do it right, But we always have time to fix it!"

Ward-O   n~

Why is it I believe this?
AMA 12366

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »
Why is it I believe this?

Probably because it's true.  It's really easy to make slap-dash software that appears to work but doesn't hold together well under stress.  It's time consuming and fiddly to make it robust, and a lot of that fiddling needs to happen long before there's visible progress made.

Imagine that you're working on your next great plane.  You're trying to get the control system in just so because you know it'll be buried by a whole lot of airplane and it needs to last for 500 or 1000 flights.  All the while, your boss is joggling your elbow saying "is it ready for paint yet?"

That's software engineering.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
I must have slept through it?  ???
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
Should have given everyone the oppurtunity to do something different then sit in front of computor. Like build, fly, look at engines, get reaquainted with wife/girlfriend, have sex or anything else.

Yep....how about getn´ the BBQ Grill on fire and show that little pig its new place on top of the grill.
After the icecold keg of beer and the pig was gone and history , the Server was back on Service.
I allready knew, there are a few smart dudes out there ,they gonna fix it, after i read the error message:
"Server not found".
So what the heck, like an old saying says: @#$% happens every day, sometimes twice.
So stay cool and relax ...time will tell.

Peter
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
Yesterday day we took a server hit. I am currently looking to move our home. This is the 6Th time in less than a year we have had this issue. I do apologize but this is out of my hands. We are now back to full swing

Having built a  number of sites on different host sites, there is one immutable constant - given enough time, they all break.

Your hosting service has been remarkable reliable compared to others I have worked with. 

Bob
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
Having built a  number of sites on different host sites, there is one immutable constant - given enough time, they all break.

Your hosting service has been remarkable reliable compared to others I have worked with. 

Bob

What I don't get this is suppose to be a stand alone server with a static IP. As long as the power is on and I don't screw anything up it should not crash. I did nothing to the server to cause this outage ""THEY" did something on Stunt Hangar's box. Unacceptable. I know many mechanics that will fix things until they are broke. I am not one of them.

From what I gather it was a networking patch that propagated across the net work. The bonehead who installed it should loose his job.
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »
I noticed the site was off line for a while but it came back nicely.

That's the difference between a model airplane forum and a Boeing 777.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »

What I don't get this is suppose to be a stand alone server with a static IP. As long as the power is on and I don't screw anything up it should not crash. I did nothing to the server to cause this outage ""THEY" did something on Stunt Hangar's box. Unacceptable. I know many mechanics that will fix things until they are broke. I am not one of them.

From what I gather it was a networking patch that propagated across the net work. The bonehead who installed it should loose his job.

But then he would have nothing to do just like a bunch of Harley mechanics. What's the sense in that? Anything that can be built can break.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
I didn't really realize how much I would miss this until it was gone yesterday.
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:52 AM »

Lots of other things can break between the server and the user.  Everything from routers to DNS entries can break or get screwed up.  The bottom line is that your hosting service fixed the problem and no data was lost.  It all worked out.

If I have learned anything from building my first ham radio and then my first computer, everything breaks sooner or later.  You hosting service gets high marks from me on its stability.

Bob
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 08:56:26 AM »
Good thing you didn't work for the phone company.  It was fun out in the field when equipment would quit as most of the time there was the back up system.   When we started going to ESS(Electronic Switching System) things started getting a little out of control.   Having a central office off the air for any length of time was a disaster.   One office was off the air for over 24 hours and all emergency services had to be taken care of by radio.   It was all because of one little wire on the back of the control frame.   Yes we had programmers that would try to keep the offices up to date with the latest programs, but sometimes the installation of the program would not show trouble until it was put on line.   Glad we had back up systems or the other controller was sitting there ready to go back on line.   When I left the company in a voluntary early retirement it was getting to where we could not find programs in  the machine without our desk top computors.   Now Sparky, lets see how long this goes before we jump ship as the next provider might just be worse.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »
They are attempting to make it right so we stay.

a message from our CEO

Dear Robert,

On April 16 we experienced an outage that affected a portion of our customers. We want to sincerely apologize for any impact this may have had on your websites, email, and other online efforts. 
We traced the interruption back to a complex and undocumented firmware bug in one of our vendor’s hardware solutions, specifically some of our network routers. Once the problem was identified we immediately worked with the vendor to create and deploy a firmware update and custom configuration to fix it. We want to emphasize that none of your confidential information was ever compromised and that your account data remains safe and secure. 
In response to this issue and to recognize your patience and support, we’re offering to credit your VPS or dedicated server account with one month of free hosting service. Simply call this number to claim your credit and our billing team will activate it. 

This credit is available until April 25th. Please take advantage of it! 
We were founded with the goal of building a better hosting company. I speak for our whole team when I say that this recent issue does not meet the standard to which we hold ourselves. We know you rely on our services and rest assured, we are aggressively executing plans to prevent similar incidents in the future. 
As always, if you have further questions about this or any other issue, give us a call any time. We’ll be here. 
Sincerely,  Dan
AMA 12366

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
I'm old school (COBOL, Assembler, FORTRAN) yet I work now with some young twits who toss out object-oriented code but don't know how to write a stick of documentation or utilize change control.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
I'm old school (COBOL, Assembler, FORTRAN) yet I work now with some young twits who toss out object-oriented code but don't know how to write a stick of documentation or utilize change control.

Object oriented code is best because it lets you make a bigger, stinkier pile of manure faster than you ever could the old way.

(I do embedded systems, mostly in C++.  Man, but there are lots of really innovative ways to screw things up with object-oriented code!)

((and yes, I document what I write, and it's all under version control.))
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
Most of us Old Timers have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about.  ???

(Well?  SOMEONE had to say it!)

Anyone else agree?  Or am I just being the quintessential Old Fart?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:47:20 PM by Mike Keville »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »
   HECK NO MIKE! I think we may have just been insulted or dissed or something, ya think????? I still think that the hexaganol jack shaft torque limiter lost lost traction and got out of sink with the rest of the spacial accumulator. Happens to me at work all the time!
   Type at you later, H^^
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 02:24:20 AM »
  HECK NO MIKE! I think we may have just been insulted or dissed or something, ya think????? I still think that the hexaganol jack shaft torque limiter lost lost traction and got out of sink with the rest of the spacial accumulator. Happens to me at work all the time!
   Type at you later, H^^
    Dan McEntee

You know what grinds my  gears?  When the MA loses track during SADT/SATCOM checks, I get FCA DEGD WCAs during FADEC checks....

Real day-enders...

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:55 AM »
Most of us Old Timers have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about.  ???

(Well?  SOMEONE had to say it!)

Anyone else agree?  Or am I just being the quintessential Old Fart?

Well, Mike, here's ONE old-timer that has written (and documented) several hundred thousand lines of object-oriented code, and will testify that the  style works and works as well as the management dictates. Unfortunately, most managers got there because they 1) are most capable in kissing the a** of the boss, or 2)most capable of taking credit for the work of others, or 3)both, and consequently don't have the ability/desire/knowledge to establish and enforce good software engineering practices.

And this is spoken by an old-timer that ALSO wrote a career's-worth of bowl-of-spaghetti code (commonly: BS code) that was unintelligible to the maintainer (too often the same person!).
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »
Hey Mike:

"Anyone else agree?  Or am I just being the quintessential Old Fart?"

Quintessential?

Well, yes.

Old?

Yup, that too!

Fart?

You should teach a building class to a bunch of Junior High boys if you want Fart!!!!    LL~

Scott

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
Sparky, have you considered owning your own server? You could have it in the kitchen. y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here