News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: spinner on nobler ARF  (Read 6919 times)

Offline Chris Belcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
spinner on nobler ARF
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »
Is there going to be anything left of my spinner after I carve it up for a BYO 11-5 or even 10-5? I'm using a Brodak 40 and last nite I went to do the cowl and the tiny little spinner has holes for a 8 inch prop maybe. What is everyone doing? Just butchering the openings?

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: spinner on nobler ARF
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »
It takes a whole lot of work to fit APC's , so I'm going to assume that the BYO's will be only slightly less effort.  I also assume that you are using a plastic spinner.  It can be done, but you will have to really carve the screw posts on the engine center line side. It takes removal of about a third of the post thickness, or more, to get the APC's in.  Patience and a good Dremel tool is all it takes.  Good luck.
AMA 34849

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
So I went at it last nite...yes it is a plastic dubro. You're right...just started by opening the blade holes and then the posts. Also had to flatten one side of the posts for the bolts. It turned out no too bad...still enough material to be strong enough...thaks for the response.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
I have found Du-Bro's to be a pain for that reason !! I pretty much use Great Planes, they have larger openings for the prop's.I also just get the white one's, sand with 800 grit and paint to suit.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »
I have found Du-Bro's to be a pain for that reason !! I pretty much use Great Planes, they have larger openings for the prop's.I also just get the white one's, sand with 800 grit and paint to suit.

Hi Lee,

That's good to know!  What paint do you use to paint the spinner?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
Bill, Either Dope or a rattle can like Rustoleum and then clear with your favorite. Caution,those electric starters don't do a finished spinner much good.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 06:31:03 PM »
Do yourself a favor and get an XOAR 11-4 prop. No carving needed and flies great.

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
Sig makes spinners for APC props:

http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGSP151.html

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Funny you say that about XOAR props...I am using a XOAR 12-4 on an LA46 powered 46 oz Cardinial and I love it. Balanced right out of the pkg and nice finish. I started another thread somewhere about these props wondering why they are not the rave, they are so well made and figured they would be very popular..but didn't get much response from many out there. I don't really like the APCs...so heavy....and ...well...ugly. I know thath doesn't matter to how a plane flies but the cardinal has better tensionn overhead with the Xoar 12-4 than it did with an APC 11-4 (or 12.25-3.25, or 11-5 or 11.5 -5 or 4...God I tried every APC there is cuz everybody says they're so great...not saying the're not but didn't work for me.) and the La 46 just purrs  right along in a strong 4...maybe beeps at the tops. Even had a guy comment on the run this weekend. That helps a lot! I will try a Xoar 11-4 on the brodak 40...even though I've already hacked up the poor little spinner for a BYO 11-5.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »
Funny you say that about XOAR props...I am using a XOAR 12-4 on an LA46 powered 46 oz Cardinial and I love it. Balanced right out of the pkg and nice finish. I started another thread somewhere about these props wondering why they are not the rave, they are so well made and figured they would be very popular..but didn't get much response from many out there. I don't really like the APCs...so heavy....and ...well...ugly. I know thath doesn't matter to how a plane flies but the cardinal has better tensionn overhead with the Xoar 12-4 than it did with an APC 11-4 (or 12.25-3.25, or 11-5 or 11.5 -5 or 4...God I tried every APC there is cuz everybody says they're so great...not saying the're not but didn't work for me.) and the La 46 just purrs  right along in a strong 4...maybe beeps at the tops. Even had a guy comment on the run this weekend. That helps a lot! I will try a Xoar 11-4 on the brodak 40...even though I've already hacked up the poor little spinner for a BYO 11-5.
Where are you buying the Xoar props from ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »
Apparently that is the issue with Xoars...they are hard to find in 10s 11s even 12s. My local hobby shop in Fort Worth has them in 11s and up...but just a small selection....and a bit pricey too...

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 05:39:48 PM »
Just found out that Tower has Xoar props, looks like in all the sizes we use in stunt.
OmniModels also has them.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
I'll be damned...never thought to look there...they do have every size I would ever need...not bad prices either. I'm going to start experimenting with cutting some of these down. Might start wiht the 12-4 I have on the cardinal right now as it gets nicked up on the grass field i fly on. Will start with clipping an 1/8...maybe 3/16 off of each end and rebalance. Curious to see how it effects engine load and overhead tension. Any other sugestions would be appreciated... someone somewhere said you could re-pitch these using heat...???

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »
Do not try to repitch the wood ones.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »
Any spinner with a plastic backplate is a POS...they'll slip at the worst time, and you'll often find there is a shortage of threads on the crankshaft. Do yourself a huge favor and get the Great Planes spinners with the aluminum backplate...or upgrade to a quality aluminum spinner like one from Randy Aero or TruTurn.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 02:03:41 PM »
I prefer the Kavan aluminum spinners with no backplate.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here