News:

• April 19, 2024, 03:42:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is Goop?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What is Goop?
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:47:29 AM »
Trawling through some searches on Stunthanger, I came across Goop, which is some sort of glue / sealant. I have never heard of it this side of the pond and I assume it is local to the US. Can anyone describe it so that I can try to source something similar in the UK?

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Gene Martine

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
  • Started flying 1952 (AMA 2903)
Re: What is Goop?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:09:10 AM »
  y1 y1 y1 y1
 Goop, from what I remember it removes sticky stuff from surfaces.
 Have a good day.  #^ #^ #^
 Gene
 H^^ H^^

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:25:41 AM »
Goof Off is the removal product.  Goop is an adhesive that stays flexible after curing.  The first time I saw it was when someone had used it to repair some old boots. Heavy, thick, and strong.
AMA 34849

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »
It's clear, sticky, and has a strong chemical smell like contact adhesive (use in a well ventilated place).

I think Shoo Goo is the same stuff, which I'm sure is as much help as the name "Goop".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »
Shoe Goo is made by the same Co. that makes GOOP, Eclectic Products, Inc.

I've used the shoe repair glue, but model airplanes?

AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

steven yampolsky

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »
It is big in the RC boating world. My hobby back in 1994. Seals better than silicone adhesives and does not out gas ammonia.  Used to watertight the electronics.  Silicone sealers tend to corrode the electronics Shoo Goo does not.  It also works great on tennis shoe repair.  It is found in sporting goods stores.  I have some on hand but have never used it on a U-control aircraft.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
  Goop and Shoo Goo are also used to build battery packs with NiCad and Nickle Metal Hydride cells. Also used to repair cracks in plastic car bodies. Originally intended for repairing sneekers and running shoes. There is also a Goop that is a creamy type hand cleaner.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Jim Roselle

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
I use shoe goo to reattach head badges to re painted bicycles. Excellent metal to metal / metal to paint adhesion in low stress applications.

Jim

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
I use "Plumbers Goop" on my planes. It is thinner that the other Goops and works well gluing plywood to fiberglass such as a serve tray to a FG fuse. ( I know that's RC but what the heck)

And the best part is that it can be peeled off if necessary.

Bad news is- It won't sand. Don't even try! n1

Jerry

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 12:36:09 PM »
Thanks guys,
I looks as though there isn't an equivalent of Goop in the UK. Special thanks to Steven, who tells me that Home Depot do it. Next time I am in Boston (actually Cambridge), I shall do my usual visit to Home Depot and this time collect some Goop.
  I was interested in the stuff as it has been recommended in past threads, for sealing leaky Cox reedies. Apparently it seals the leaks and doesn't attack the alloy like regular silicone. I am told that silicone glue is also good in this application, but I have not yet found it in the UK (just not looking in the right place!). I use a blue product called Hylomar for fixing pesky reedies, but I am always open to new ways of fixing the little critters!

Thanks again,

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
I know that guys use Goop to fabricate canisters for holding balloons used for 1/2A fuel tanks.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline david beazley

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
Try searching for E-6000 adhesive. It is a very similar product to Goop and is manufactured by the same company.  It shows up on Amazon UK.  It uses a different solvent than Goop but has similar qualities.  I have used it in thhe past and has a tenacious flexible bond. I hope this helps.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »
Thanks David,
I was hoping that someone could pinpoint a similar product that was available this side of the pond! I will give it a try!

Many Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
I have fiixed several pairs of shoes and sneakers with it, and it seems to do the job very well. I wonder how it would work for sealing needle valve spray bars to the venture. Don't know if it is fuel proof or not but looks like it would be. Smells way better than silicone.
Jim Kraft

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
HINGES!!!

Take the control surfaces, chamfer the mating surfaces at 45 degrees, stabilize the surfaces and align them, apply goop to the inside of the chamfer and allow dry.  Instant hinge!  This is done very frequently on foam construction airplanes made from things like foam poster board and fan fold foam insulation.

The problem is there is resistance in the elasticity of the goop film, which is no problem for servos...

If you want to build a dirt cheap electric model foam poster board and/or thin extruded insulation might be the way to go instead of getting "expensive" depron and specialty foam materials.

Uhu-por (I think is how it is written) is supposed to be a similar product that is not readily available in the USA.

Phil

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »
UHU Por is quite different from Goop.
Por is thinner and more of a contact adhesive that dries quite quickly.
Goop is slower but has better hold. Goop is better for building from EPP, Por from Depron. (I think Goop might melt Depron?)

Por can sometimes be found in Michael's craft stores as UHU Creativ for Foam

Google'ing "Goop adhesive in England" turned this up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Household-Adhesive-Sealant-1-Ounce/dp/B000BQPIOQ

MAAC 8177

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
Hello Pat,
It seems that the Amazon supplier is out of stock, I was getting quite excited too!

Thanks for the link I will keep an eye on it.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 06:33:20 AM »
I have used a blue gasket material (comes in a tube Permatex is the Mfg?) from the auto parts store to seal 1/2A tanks & back plates of larger engines.  They also make a high temperature sealant that I have used with head gaskets.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 08:07:36 AM »
Hello John,
That sounds suspiciously like Hylomar gasket material. It certainly is good stuff, maybe a replacement for Goop this side of the Pond?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
Goop and its variants are fuelproof. I use it to seal tanks made from plastic bottles and film cans.

Also look at Zap products "Zap-a-dap-of-Goo", a thinner version that is actually easier to use.  Tower and Global at least should carry it.

In addition, I coated the toes of an old pair of shoes with the Shoo Goo, and haven't worn through it in years of kneeling starting engines.  y1
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:26 PM »
Goof Off is the removal product.  Goop is an adhesive that stays flexible after curing.  The first time I saw it was when someone had used it to repair some old boots. Heavy, thick, and strong.

Yes, exactly, I have a pair here I repaired with it at least 20 years ago and still leak tight
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »
I guess I need to take a picture, but while putting the big bottle of hand soap on the shelf, I found a can of GOOP Hand Cleaner.   It is kind of like a gel that you rub all over your hands and then rinse off with water.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
I guess I need to take a picture, but while putting the big bottle of hand soap on the shelf, I found a can of GOOP Hand Cleaner.   It is kind of like a gel that you rub all over your hands and then rinse off with water.   

Come to think of it, I have some of that too.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here