News:

• April 25, 2024, 10:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 10th Birthday/Aniversary/whatever  (Read 3462 times)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
10th Birthday/Aniversary/whatever
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:38:50 PM »
Today marks my 10th year of Active service.  10 more to go.  In the meantime, someone drink a beer or 7 for me.

69 days(ish) to go on this trip.....

Sean P. McEntee
SSG, USA
UAS Sergeant
E Co 227th Aviation Regiment
1st Air Cavalry Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division

Rick_Huff

Re: 10th Birthday/Aniversary/whatever
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »
Sean,
Congratulations and thankyou!
I'm already working on that beer,
Rick

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Count two IPA's down so far, one for you and one for my son (Navy).
AMA 34849

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 06:13:39 PM »
I will drink a 12 pack,  X army vet. Thank you.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
The first ten go by fast, the next seem to take forever, until the last 30 days and wham, you are out of a job, a civilian with whom you have nothing in common and you keep wondering how in hell do civilians ever get anything done and merit does not mean squat.. It's all back stabbing, especially if you go into teaching. Stay for 30.  y1 #^ H^^ LL~ LL~

No flippin way!!  Military of today is FULL of beaurocracy, political correctness, and soft-skinned "wussies" who enlisted because they thought Call of Duty was cool. Gonna take great effort just to make it to 20.

As I type this, Im also working on an NCODP Class from FM 22-7.22:  The Army Noncomissioned Officers Guide.  It might as well say "The Army Babysitters Guide" because it seems that I spend more time in that role than anything else.  Cant "smoke" soldiers anymore, cant take their time.  Its not the Army that I joined 10 years ago.  Im hoping with all the drawdowns, it will go back, but I'm not betting the farm.

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »
Way to go Sean!

Hope to see you at WKSI with your dad.  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 08:29:21 PM »
Sean:
   Hope you CAN make it to 20.  Seems like these days there's too much emphasis on "diversity", "political correctness", and so-on.  Today's Army certainly doesn't resemble the Army that I remember (1958-1966).
   Thanks (again) for your service, and let's hope you can tough it out until Twenty.  Meanwhile, go for that Warrant.

FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Lester Nicholson

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
What Ty said - if I had known what civilian life was like I'd have stayed till they threw me out.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
and merit does not mean squat.

Start your own business.  Then you'll survive on nothing but your own merit and luck.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
     Well it seems like only yesterday I was wiping your ass, changing your diaper, and teaching you how to fly that Goldberg Wizard! And then that was that "do over" when we took you to the recruiter's office! (I'll tell the rest of you that story some time!)  I won't bring up the Tarzan impersonation, or was it George of the Jungle?
    To say that I am proud of you is a gross understatement. The things you have achieved, things you have done, the friends you have made and places you have gone will follow you the rest of your life. You have laid down some blocks for a good foundation, now just keep adding them one day and one week at a time. Make your plan and stick to it. It will pay off in the end. Stay focused and get home in one piece.
   Love,
   Dad

PS:
    And I would like to thank all you people out there in the model aviation world for your thoughts, prayers, friendship, influence and your support for Sean. It means a lot and is appreciated.
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 12:47:34 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Spent my "birthday"  building a powerpoint presentation for an NCO Development Class that I'm giving on the 23rd.  Down for rain/thunderstorms so no flying today.  Been doing allot of that the past couple months.  No more model flying either as I took up some Space-A real estate in our tricon with my supplies.  All thats left is to build a good box for my One Kinght and ship it home.

Meanwhile, go for that Warrant.

While the Army is critically short for 150Us (UAS Tech Warrant), they've reorganized the career path for Warrants.  Without making it too complicated, im letting the play clock wind down a bit so when I do go Warrant, its a sure bet that I'll make it to 20.

And then that was that "do over" when we took you to the recruiter's office! (I'll tell the rest of you that story some time!)  

I'll tell the story since we were talking about it here a few minutes ago.  April 1st 2004 (yep, thats right) I packed my bags, headed down to the recruiting station, did the teary-eyed hugs and kisses goodbye, and went down to St Louis MEPS.  I dont remember anymore exactly what in the process got hung up, but by the time my paperwork was straight, it was too late in in the evening to catch a plane to Lawton.  So my chaufer (never refered to SSG--now 1SG Wash as my "recruiter" because I had to school HIM on what a UAV operator was) drove me back home.  Walked through the door and yelled "April Fools!!"  That was on a Friday.  Had to wait until the following Monday to go back to meps.  Monday was April 4th, 2004--or 04/04/04.  

I won't bring up the Tarzan impersonation, or was it George of the Jungle?

Depends on who you talk to...   ;D

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »
"Start your own business.  Then you'll survive on nothing but your own merit and luck."

Was visiting some Army friends of ours on a far western island. One 'Entrepreneur' hung the following sign on the door of his business:

"I'm open when I'm here and closed when I'm not"
His neighbor was a little more organized:
"Open at 10AM or when I get here"

Dare ya go! LL~

In all seriousness...
Thank you Sean for serving our Country and keeping us free!
The very best to you the next 10 and "Tight lines!" H^^
Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »
Sean, it is hard to believe it has been ten years since you went into military service.   How can we thank you enough for what you have given up to do so.   But, then again look at what you have learned, the places you've been( even though didn't look too good) and most of all the people you've met.   I do hope you make your goals along with the family.  Have you got the baby building your planes for you yet? LL~ LL~   I bet Dad is stull busten buttons when he thinks about you and what you've.   I still remember the VSC we shared a table at the banquet.  So take care and be safe young man. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:16 AM »
Man, does that make me feel old!  Seems like it was just yesterday you enlisted ...

Hang in there Sean - and Thanks for your service!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline OpusP51

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Sean,

Wow! Ten years! Congrats and thank you for serving. A lot of water under the bridge and the river keeps flowing. I remember the Tarzan period and thankfully you made it thru. Too many years have gone by since we were kids in the middle of a cornfield in Iowa. Hope to catch up with you and your Dad soon. Seems too long between STL overnites. Got the original plans for Lews Akro and have been looking at the Little Mustang recently. Take care of yourself, lets talk Stunt and unfinished projects soon. I'll buy the Beer!

Fly Stunt,
Todd

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »
Sean,

Congratulations, hope you get to make it home soon and hold that baby girl.  Take car little brother.

James
AMA 491167

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
Unless you are in an active war zone, under fire, an NCO has no business "smoking", or otherwise engaging in mal-treatment of any other military person.  "Baby Sitting" might be an appropriate activity in a non-technical or unskilled classification, where some personnel are not mature enough to accept military responsibility.

In a technical duty classification, military personnel of all ranks soon realize that everyone must pull together to a common goal, and that "pulling rank" has no place in an efficient workplace.

At least, that is what I observed during my military service. 

F.C.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »
Is todays service branches the same as they were back in the 50's and 60's.  My brother talked to me a lot before I tried to join.  Just look at the news now the so called media puts out. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »
Unless you are in an active war zone, under fire, an NCO has no business "smoking", or otherwise engaging in mal-treatment of any other military person.

For those unfamiliar with the term "smoking", it refers to strenuous exercise assigned to a Soldier who "messes up".  The lenght and intensity directly corelates to the severity of the messup; ranging from a few pushups for something minor to a half hour for something severe.  Its actually a good way to correct an otherwise good Soldier, as opposed to putting the incident on paper, which can affect their career later.  For some people, its the only way to get a point across so that when you DO get into a real-world situation, dicipline issues arent present.

That is the Army I came up in.  Soldiers who couldnt "Be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform" spent their evenings and weekends undergoing corrective training.  And it wasnt unethical.  Soldiers who forgot their gear spent their free time participating in uniform drills.  Soldiers who couldnt get to work on time had to report to Staff Duty at the top of the hour, 12 hours a day for the weekend.  I partook of a few of those myself early on, and I think I didnt turn out too bad.  Nowadays, in the "Kinder, gentler Army"  we cant do any of that stuff anymore.  Drill Sergeants in Basic Training can't raise their voice at recruits, and all the new Soldiers carry around "Stress cards" that they present when they start feeling "stressed".  AITs dont even HAVE Drills anymore.  That was a BIG talking point for me last summer when I was at Ft Rucker and asked the TRADOC CSM when he was going to put Drills back in AITs.  His excuse was that we need those NCOs out in the field (though between OIF being over for awhile and OEF coming to an end as well, that doesnt make sense) and that big Army cant afford to pay them the extra incentive pay ( though Im sure I read that the Army is shifting its focus..and budgeting goals to training).  My DSs were men to be emulated--they were the best in all aspects of being a Soldier.  Now they are gone, and replaced with any Tom, Dick, or Harry that DA selects to go "fill the slot"  I was appauled at what I saw at Huachuca when I went down there for Grey Eagle school.  There was a  E7 "Platoon Sergeant" down there that was so fat that she couldnt walk correctly.  Yet she somehow is charged with motivating young, HIGHLY IMPRESSIONABLE Soldiers to pass their APFT and meet the Army's minimum height/weight standards (my PT score is the 3rd highest in the platoon...and thats the way it should be)  There were many simmilar sad cases like her.  

And you know what...the end product is a direct reflection.  I'm getting Soldiers out of AIT who cant pass PT tests, have crap for dicipline, are soft skinned, and just, quite simply arent Soldiers.  They go cry to IG if they I shake my finger at them to much, dont tell them that they are the best Soldier in the whole Army, or take their video game privledges at work away if they fail an APART exam.  *Note:  I am in no way exaggerating.

In a technical duty classification, military personnel of all ranks soon realize that everyone must pull together to a common goal

And it is THESE people that I have to throw in the seat of a $15 million aircraft, carrying live munitions, to prevent harm to troops on the ground.  This stuff takes teamwork...a completely absent concept to these Troops by the time they make their way to me, and now I have to do the job that Drill Sergeant AND that AIT Platoon Sergeant should have done in the first place....while downrange.  The idea of paying 100 bucks for a CL kit and getting a big block of balsa wood in the mail--as well as the saying "you dont learn how to drive a car on Memorial Day weekend"--comes to mind.

At least, that is what I observed during my military service.  

Is todays service branches the same as they were back in the 50's and 60's.  My brother talked to me a lot before I tried to join.  Just look at the news now the so called media puts out.  

So to answer both fine gentlemens' question, the only thing about the Army that you would recognize today is that "U.S. Army" is still on everyones left chest.  Beaurocracy, Political Correctness and Sensitivity, Leaders who demonstrate the rhetorical prowess of a politician and who write policy and regulations, not based on morals or ethics but because it "briefs well" and looks great on their evaluation report.   Picture Capitol Hill in with guns, tanks, and camoflage.

Read this if you dont think any of my assessment is realistic.  How many contests have I missed due to training?  Yet I havent shot anyone, and we weren't seeing these types of incidences 10 years ago...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/07/fort-hood-shooter-snapped-over-denial-request-for-leave-army-confirms/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:14:50 PM by Sean McEntee »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Hoo-ah, Sean!  You've told it like it is!!!  Apparently most people in today's Army, except for SF, Delta, 160th (and guys like you) are somewhat soft.  Many of today's grunts would not have lasted ten minutes in the Army that I knew in the '50s and '60s.

"Stress cards"?  What the he## are those?  When I was in Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood in '58, if I'd suggested to my Drill Sgt. that I was feeling "stressed", you can imagine what part of my anatomy he would have "stressed".

Hang in there, Sarge!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:04:32 AM by Mike Keville »
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:41 AM »
Hang in there, Sean, and thanks for your service. 

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »
Too bad we can't get the politicians out of the military and let the military do their job.   I've seen videos of the academies and I don't think they are what it was when I was in high school.   Look at the Marines, how many young men were sent home or to another branch of the service because they couldn't make the grade.  I still remember the movie titled the DI.   I can't imagine what it was holding those rifles at arms length for any length of time just because the young man referred to them a guns.   But, he never used the term gun any more when he referred to his rifle.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here