News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feeling the C/L Pull Again after 19 Years....  (Read 8152 times)

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
Feeling the C/L Pull Again after 19 Years....
« on: April 02, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
As the title says.....been out cleaning my Nut-Hut and got down my old SIG Deweybird to de-web. As I held it I thought I'd better postpone cleaning and glue the tail back on. That done....I distracted myself even more from my  cleaning by grabbing the broken Ringmaster Jr. with an old Fox .15 to repair. Led me to dig out some old Monocote and re-do the wings. Well it was game on now. Found old fuel from 19 years ago and got the Cox .049 going. Unbelievable!
Now that I was in deep I went into the dark recesses and found an Aerosmith Prowler I never finished. Got as far as sheeting the wing and some fuselage work and new child took over. This was back in 1991.
So now the Prowler sits on my bench and I have felt the feeling of going to bed and hugging my wife with CA all over my fingers. Back to finishing the Prowler. I have an OS FP-40 I bought from Randy Smith and have never even started it up. Whooooo Buddy....it will fly and I will have to see if I can pull off a pattern again after all these years. I was always more enthusiastic than good but did get a couple third place's in Stunt back in 1989 and 1991.
Looking forward to the Minnesota snow melt and hope to find a place to fly again.
I even went and ordered an electric conversion kit and a 1/2A Baby Lightning Streak from Brodak so I can get up and at as soon as.....
Feel the old excitement down in my 55 year old bones. Just puts a big ol' grin on my gob!
I have been perusing the forums and there is some wonderful C/L intel on here. I sure have forgotten a lot)))
Carry forth,
Shug

Here is a video of the .049s up and running. One is a TD. Got three of my old .049s going that night......
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Feeling the C/L Pull Again after 19 Years....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »

Sean, welcome back to R/C (Real Control) and it sounds as if you have plenty of Ammo... #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
Sean, welcome back to R/C (Real Control) and it sounds as if you have plenty of Ammo... #^
I thankee for the welcome back.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
You don't say where in the little state of Minnesota you are at, but welcome back.   With all that enthusiasm I hope you don't burn out.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
You don't say where in the little state of Minnesota you are at, but welcome back.   With all that enthusiasm I hope you don't burn out.
Big ol' Roseville, Minnesota. Right out of St. Paul. Used to be an active club here called the Piston Poppers. Need to find out if they are still going......
No burn out but maybe a flame out))))))
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:07:06 PM »
They were the Minneapolis Piston Poppers.....
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
It is Always good when we know of someone who's returned!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »
I have been perusing the forums and there is some wonderful C/L intel on here. I sure have forgotten a lot)))

You haven't forgotten anything.  We've just been making up lies while you were checked out.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »
Welcome back!
Glad you showed up.   H^^

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 01:58:43 PM »
It is Always good when we know of someone who's returned!!

Marcus
Mucho Obligato)))) I am getting pumped. I watched some of your videos. What a field and circle you have down your way. Your love for flying CL truly shows.

You haven't forgotten anything.  We've just been making up lies while you were checked out.
Too dang funny.....no ...I forgot. All the reading about flap to elevator ratios and props and handle specific ideas is all making some of what little I knew come back.

Welcome back!
Glad you showed up.   H^^
I rightly and kindly thank you for that.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ryan Taylor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:10:37 PM »
Hey Shug! Welcome to the hanger! Looking forward to seeing whatya put together as you get back into the sport. Btw, you gotta get some "Whooo Buddy" decals made up now :p

Cheers,

Ryan
Ryan Taylor

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
Hey Shug! Welcome to the hanger! Looking forward to seeing whatya put together as you get back into the sport. Btw, you gotta get some "Whooo Buddy" decals made up now :p

Cheers,

Ryan
Decals)))))....I want a plane named the Whoooo Buddy. ~>
Thanks for turning me onto this site iff'n it were you. I feel it was as you said your a young feller. Lots of terrific intel here and has me pumped. Ordered an all electric Baby Lightning Streak to add to the armada and get me flying patterns again as I finish up the Prowler.
Whooooo Buddy)))))
Nice distraction from all things hammock for a while.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
Big ol' Roseville, Minnesota. Right out of St. Paul. Used to be an active club here called the Piston Poppers. Need to find out if they are still going......
No burn out but maybe a flame out))))))
Hey Shug I think the MPP's are still around. I would bet if you put a post up looking for guys in your area you'll get some replies.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=10372.0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:56:55 PM by Paul Taylor »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Hey Shug I think the MPP's are still around. I would bet if you put a post up looking for guys in your area you'll get some replies.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=10372.0

Thanks for that. I will reach out to him for sure. I want to see all those 1/2 As.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:57:18 PM by Paul Taylor »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
  Wayne Willey here on the list is a Piston Popper. Goes by the handle of wwwarbird. Keith Sandberg and a bunch of other great people there also. Scan the list for Wayne's posts or look him up in the members section. He's a frequent regular here. You'll be in with a good group.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ryan Taylor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
Decals)))))....I want a plane named the Whoooo Buddy. ~>
Thanks for turning me onto this site iff'n it were you. I feel it was as you said your a young feller. Lots of terrific intel here and has me pumped. Ordered an all electric Baby Lightning Streak to add to the armada and get me flying patterns again as I finish up the Prowler.
Whooooo Buddy)))))
Nice distraction from all things hammock for a while.
Shug

Yup it was me, glad I could help  H^^
Man, electric is the way to go these days in terms of consistency and I've always loved flying a Streak.
Should be a good setup!

Btw, You got any hikes planned this spring? I'll be taking on Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard later this month and next.
Ryan Taylor

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 01:35:55 PM »
 Wayne Willey here on the list is a Piston Popper. Goes by the handle of wwwarbird. Keith Sandberg and a bunch of other great people there also. Scan the list for Wayne's posts or look him up in the members section. He's a frequent regular here. You'll be in with a good group.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
Yessir)))) I was contacted by the club Treasurer so I now know and am happy the are still flying. I'll join up this Spring and suss out their flying field.
I appreciate the info.

Yup it was me, glad I could help  H^^
Man, electric is the way to go these days in terms of consistency and I've always loved flying a Streak.
Should be a good setup!

Btw, You got any hikes planned this spring? I'll be taking on Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard later this month and next.
It was you then!
Stoked to start messing with the electric. Loving the idea of a timer to give me time to get to the handle to fly when I am alone...which will be most of the time. Have some spots near home but want to be quiet as I can be as I will get out early to fly. Sure there is a learning curve to the electrics.
No specific trips for Spring but will hit my usual spots for sure. It will be mid to late May around here before the trails up north are in good shape.
Until then....I got planes!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:13:14 PM by Sean Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 04:09:20 PM »
They were the Minneapolis Piston Poppers.....

Sean,

We still ARE the Minneapolis Piston Poppers.  We meet the last Thursday of each month in the EAA building at Anoka County Airport in Blaine.  May 31 and June 1 is the Blaine Aviation Days.  We'll have a circle set up and will be putting up flights continuously both days.  You're more than welcome to join us (again).

I'm right up the road from you in Arden Hills.  PM is detailing more info.

Welcome back!

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
Sean,

We still ARE the Minneapolis Piston Poppers.  We meet the last Thursday of each month in the EAA building at Anoka County Airport in Blaine.  May 31 and June 1 is the Blaine Aviation Days.  We'll have a circle set up and will be putting up flights continuously both days.  You're more than welcome to join us (again).

I'm right up the road from you in Arden Hills.  PM is detailing more info.

Welcome back!
Hey Steve......so glad the club is active and all that. I am really going to try and make the Blaine Aviation Event.
PM'ed you back and thanks for the info and kindness.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 06:18:50 PM »
Stoked to start messing with the electric. Loving the idea of a timer to give me time to get to the handle to fly when I am alone...which will be most of the time.

Opinion seems to run about half & half about whether you can get away with that, or whether you should use a stooge or stake your handle down, in case you get interrupted for some reason and the plane takes off without you.

Quite a few of the electric guys I see fly really prefer that the motor be spun up to full speed for release.  This is mostly a style thing on pavement, but can be mandatory on some grass fields, as the prop goes through a speed where it's got plenty of thrust to pull the plane on its nose, and not enough to let the elevator overcome that tendency.

I'm repeating scuttlebutt here -- I fly slime.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »
Opinion seems to run about half & half about whether you can get away with that, or whether you should use a stooge or stake your handle down, in case you get interrupted for some reason and the plane takes off without you.

Quite a few of the electric guys I see fly really prefer that the motor be spun up to full speed for release.  This is mostly a style thing on pavement, but can be mandatory on some grass fields, as the prop goes through a speed where it's got plenty of thrust to pull the plane on its nose, and not enough to let the elevator overcome that tendency.

I'm repeating scuttlebutt here -- I fly slime.
Well.....I figured it just could not be as cut and dry as I am dreaming of. What you say makes sense and I have no experience yet with electrics. Got a 1/2 A electric kit coming to get started on the electric quest. But I still want to fly motors too. That is slime I take it.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 07:43:15 AM »
Get it right,  Slime is IC engines,   Electric is motors.   But, I have used the terms motors and engines both ways myself through the years. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 07:55:29 AM »
That sure is a cool looking "nut hut".  Could build a lot of planes in there over a winter fer sure.

Keep us posted.  H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »
That sure is a cool looking "nut hut".  Could build a lot of planes in there over a winter fer sure.

Keep us posted.  H^^

Heh, with the winter we just endured in MN, one could have built an entire air force!  We had 10" of snow fall 3 days ago...

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:04 PM »
Sean,
Welcome back to CL.  It's even more fun the second time around!

Thought I would show you a couple of photo's of the winter fun we have here in Tucson AZ, and some background showing our flying field here.  There are actually three paved circles and three grass circles...We fly year round.  If you're cabin bound up there in the cold north sometime come on down and fly with us!  The photos were taken at VSC last year in March.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 11:04:58 PM »
Get it right,  Slime is IC engines,   Electric is motors.   But, I have used the terms motors and engines both ways myself through the years. S?P
A thousand pardons Sir.... HB~> Kinda like tires/wheels. Never heard the slime phrase. I like it.

Keep us posted.  H^^
I do love my Nut-Hut. I practice there. Work on backpacking hammock gear, play music, general lolly-gagging. Now back to building and messing with planes. Just got a 1/2A Lightning Streak to play with electric and finishing the Prowler. Some 1/2A to get me back on the handle.
The Nut-Hut is going full tilt.

Heh, with the winter we just endured in MN, one could have built an entire air force!  We had 10" of snow fall 3 days ago...
Just got home from Germany and yes...there is new snow/slush mixed with the old snow. Lake is still frozen.

Sean,
Welcome back to CL.  It's even more fun the second time around!

Thought I would show you a couple of photo's of the winter fun we have here in Tucson AZ, and some background showing our flying field here.  There are actually three paved circles and three grass circles...We fly year round.  If you're cabin bound up there in the cold north sometime come on down and fly with us!  The photos were taken at VSC last year in March.

Randy Cuberly
Wow....I got some flying circle envy))))) Those are some beauts of some planes too. I get to Mesa in February for some work but hitting Tuscon to fly with ya'll sounds mighty fine. May take you up on that someday. Your club must be very active. Where do you find that kind of space to fly?
Thankee.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »

Wow....I got some flying circle envy))))) Those are some beauts of some planes too. I get to Mesa in February for some work but hitting Tuscon to fly with ya'll sounds mighty fine. May take you up on that someday. Your club must be very active. Where do you find that kind of space to fly?
Thankee.

Hi Sean,
We are very fortunate to have a 30+ year great association with the Tucson City Parks Department.  They've been very good to us over the years, and provide the land and maintainance.  It's taken a long time to develop it into the very fine area we have now but it's been fun and worth every bit of the effort.
We have a pretty active club, "The Cholla Choppers Model Airplane Club" is the oldest continuous AMA Sanctioned Club in the States.  We have 4 past National Stunt Champions, One past National Scale Champion, and a current National Carrier Champion, and a lot of pretty good "Also Ran's" like myself.
A large portion of us are retired (read Old Farts) and there's someone flying at the field just about every day of the week.  Even if it's too cold and windy to Fly there's usually a "BullshXX"
Session there!

Randy Cuberly
PS:  There are houses for sale here!
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:08 AM »
I still remember the year when the weather was not kind to us in Tuscon for the VSC and we literally took over one of the restaurants.   Nothing like a hot cup of coffee and a big slice of pie or cinnamon roll.  Also all the good  stories.   I was out there again one for Aunt Betty's surprise birthday party and my brother-in-law and I drive to the field.  There sit Bob Whitely in his El Camino reading and wondering where all the guys were.  Had to explain to him why I was back there again.   Tuscon is a great little town as we went to the car races that evening with the granddaughter in tow.   Great bunch of gentlemen out there.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »
Back home and back to cleaning and organizing my Nut-Hut. So I found some more Cox .049s of various types and even one had a muffler on it. Got them all fired up today))))) Also found an OS 35 that used to be on my late Banshee. Under that in a box was an old Torpedo 35 that I was given and have never fired up. Not even sure if I should try to crank the Torpedo. ...I know nothing about them. Needs a glow plug.
Also have the Ringmaster JR. patched up and will fire up the old Fox .15 and see if there is any oomph there.
Came across a couple of handles too that I thought were long gone.
Once again I have happily distracted myself from cleaning.  ~^

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
Hey Sean
Put a plug in the GH and put it on a Full size Flite Streak. It gets great fuel economy and will get you humming. Only down side is the exhaust hits your fingers as you set the needle. Be sure to run about 28% castor in both the Fox and GH.
Have fun.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »
Hey Sean
Put a plug in the GH and put it on a Full size Flite Streak. It gets great fuel economy and will get you humming. Only down side is the exhaust hits your fingers as you set the needle. Be sure to run about 28% castor in both the Fox and GH.
Have fun.

Sound like a mighty fine plan! Reckon I will try and fire it up sometime. I have some 5% nitro 29% Castor fuel.
Thankee.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
Diggin the Jr. Ring Sean!

Ron

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
Diggin the Jr. Ring Sean!

Ron
Looking forward to getting it airborne. Crashed it hard long ago. Hope that Fox .15 will start and have the pull power.
I thankee.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »
Here is a video of the three Cox .049s I found today. Got them all running...some better than others.

Pretty sure one is a Texaco. One a Black Widow with Muffler and not quite sure what model the all silver one is. It ran the softest.

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:05 AM »
Here is a video of the three Cox .049s I found today. Got them all running...some better than others.

Pretty sure one is a Texaco. One a Black Widow with Muffler and not quite sure what model the all silver one is. It ran the softest.

Hi Shug,

I'd say you are pretty close on your IDs.  The red tank could be a Texaco, the all black is a Black Widow.  The silver one with the small tank is a Babe Bee, the lowest output of them all, but easy running.  As long as the Black Widow is in decent shape, it will be the strongest.  Sooner or later you will need a "re set tool" to re set the push rod in the piston.  When that fit gets loose, the power goes down.  I have also seen one where the fit got so loose the rod punched a hole in the piston crown.  They are easy to use with just a couple minutes practice, and are fairly cheap.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
With that Green Head K&B put it on the bench and put some runs on it.   Those old engines are great when broken in right.   As stated make sure there is castor oil in the fuel.   David Trible was running a Greenhead K&B .29 3 bolt back plate last Sunday between flying of the planes.   He also had McCoy .29 Redhead he was breaking in.   Remember just enough fuel in tank to get engines up to operating temperature and then let them cool out.   Then start them again.   Some times they will hold a setting after a dozen runs and some times it takes more.   Just don't push them and you will have great engines.    They are nothing like the Cox's that only need a couple of runs to get them to flying RPM.   Also 52 foot lines on the Ringmaster Junior. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 08:46:10 PM »

From left to right is a product engine, QZ, Babe bee and a Black Widow. The muffler on the Widow belongs on the QZ. The QZ should not have SPI and should have a #1702 (TD) head on it. The Widow does have SPI and the muffler will kill the performance. Like putting a Banana in a tailpipe.

Ron

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »
With that Green Head K&B put it on the bench and put some runs on it.   Those old engines are great when broken in right.   As stated make sure there is castor oil in the fuel.   David Trible was running a Greenhead K&B .29 3 bolt back plate last Sunday between flying of the planes.   He also had McCoy .29 Redhead he was breaking in.   Remember just enough fuel in tank to get engines up to operating temperature and then let them cool out.   Then start them again.   Some times they will hold a setting after a dozen runs and some times it takes more.   Just don't push them and you will have great engines.    They are nothing like the Cox's that only need a couple of runs to get them to flying RPM.   Also 52 foot lines on the Ringmaster Junior. 
I may be trying to fire it up today. Also trying to get a Fox .15 (old) going and some other engines. 52' on the ringmaster JR for sure. Had that old Fox .15 on it and it hung with a broken fuse right behind the wing for years. Don't remember the crash. Seem to remember the Fox .15 being a bit underpowered.

From left to right is a product engine, QZ, Babe bee and a Black Widow. The muffler on the Widow belongs on the QZ. The QZ should not have SPI and should have a #1702 (TD) head on it. The Widow does have SPI and the muffler will kill the performance. Like putting a Banana in a tailpipe.

Ron
I appreciate the info on the types of Coxes here. I have had them on various planes through the years. I did put the muffler back on the QZ. That Black widow still screams!
I'll try to get all matched up.
What does SPI mean?
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 08:41:51 AM »
SPI = Sub Port Induction    Bottom of piston skirt clears the exhaust port bottom.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 07:53:53 AM »
SPI = Sub Port Induction    Bottom of piston skirt clears the exhaust port bottom.
Ah-haa....many thanks.
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Advertise Here

Advertise Here