News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: profile war birds  (Read 8026 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
profile war birds
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:43:38 AM »

I am looking for thoughts and suggestions from you guy's that have built Don H's profile w/birds as to which one that you built and why you chose that one.

Thanks a lot...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: profile war birds
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:13:27 AM »
I only have plans for two of his designs and a short kit of another.   The one I want to build is the Corsair with out the flaps.   Talking to him in Dallas he said that was a good idea and to try it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:30:02 AM »

Thanks Doc..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »
I have plans for the P-38 and intend to build it someday.  Incredible looking airplane.  Control system is a little complicated but looks like it will work well.
I also have the kit for his Dauntless and will build it soon.

Randy Cuberly
I
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »
Hi Gil,

I am pretty sure I have all of Don's plans except the first one, the Texan.  I have ribs for the P-38 so I plan on building it, and I also plan to build the TBF.  These are just ones which strike my fancy.  If I had the time, I would also build the AD Skyraider and the P-51D Mustang.  All should be great flying models. y1

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Kocher

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »
I have all of his plans, but the Hellcat is at the top of the list.  It just has such a great profile.

Steve
Steve Kocher
AMA 388654

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:24:47 AM »

Guy's I sure do thank all y'all for the responses, Steve K I am gonna send ya an email as I have some questions..  Again THANKS all y'all again...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »
FYI Ralph Saxton has about 15 warbird designs he drew based on the ringmaster wing. He also builds a complete RC 2.4 setup for control line models. He can be reached at:
                                                      rmsaxton@mail.com
mike potter

Joe Just

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
I have several plans from Ralph Saxton, including a set of a "Claude".  Any of his Carrier plans are suitable for Sport flying, WW2 Combat, NW .40 Profile Carrier.  I have one of his 2.4 Handles and his set-up is simply GREAT!
Joe

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

Again guy's thanks a lot, got a set of Hell Cat plans ordered now.  Again Thanks...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »
I am building Don's Avenger. I have to take more pictures. The fuselage is now basically complete and ready to carbon fiber now.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 05:08:49 AM »
Here is a picture of Don's Avenger fuselage as of today. This going to be a very good looking airplane that will fly great.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
Hey Tom, glad you are getting something done for yourself.   Now to get all your self together so you can fly.   Myself I am still working on balance.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 06:59:18 AM »
Unlike almost all of the available scale-like profiles, Don's all have an excellent modern airfoil that will fly much better. He also maintains a fuselage shape that is extremely close to scale.

Here is a little better view of my progress. The notches in the rudder are made to look similar to the actual hinge notches that I will have in the elevator and flaps.

I have been able to build the Avenger with scrap cutoffs from other projects. I will be starting the wings next week. I am considering writing a build article for Stunt News when this is finished.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:41:44 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:50 AM »
I have built and flown both the T-6G and the SBD. Both fly very well, Joe Gilbert has won a ton of meets with the T-6 and fooled a lot of folks who think it couldn't possibly fly well. I have done ok with the SBD. If I would work at it I would do even better. The T-6 has over a thousand flights on it and still looks good after ~11 years! The SBD a lot less but still looks good for a ~10 year old airplane! As for which warbird would be the best flyer, in my opinion, they are all the same airplane, ~500 sq in and ~21% tail, they just look a little different. The real killer in my opinion would be the T-34C as it has a tricycle gear and a longer nose so less lead needed up front. The real airplanes all had heavy engines on a short nose and since my warbirds are very close to scale, I need some lead in the nose. They come out about 48 oz which doesn't seem to bother them at all. Check this Elwyn Aud photo.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
I have built and flown both the T-6G and the SBD. Both fly very well, Joe Gilbert has won a ton of meets with the T-6 and fooled a lot of folks who think it couldn't possibly fly well. I have done ok with the SBD. If I would work at it I would do even better. The T-6 has over a thousand flights on it and still looks good after ~11 years! The SBD a lot less but still looks good for a ~10 year old airplane! As for which warbird would be the best flyer, in my opinion, they are all the same airplane, ~500 sq in and ~21% tail, they just look a little different. The real killer in my opinion would be the T-34C as it has a tricycle gear and a longer nose so less lead needed up front. The real airplanes all had heavy engines on a short nose and since my warbirds are very close to scale, I need some lead in the nose. They come out about 48 oz which doesn't seem to bother them at all. Check this Elwyn Aud photo.

Just put a Saito 40 on the nose like Joe has on the T-6, nose weight won't be an issue and Joe's record with the T-6 is a tribute to the power and consistency of the Saito.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 07:34:40 AM »
One more thing to add about Don's warbirds. In addition to having stuntable airfoils, while areas are adjusted the planform of both the wing and tail are as per the real airplane. The stock thing wings of other airplanes just don't cut it. Don's warbirds are very competitive.
AMA 7544

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
I do believe the airplane plus Joe's flying skills also had a little something to do with the success he has had with the T-6. Sure would like to see more of the warbirds flying to find out if they are really "all the same airplane". Here are two more shots of the T-6.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 07:56:38 PM »
Could someone post pictures of Don's F6F Hellcat. That must be hot looking!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 09:26:57 PM »
To my knowledge, nobody has built one. The plans even have the famous belly tank on them! I sold a lot of plans but only a handful have built any of them. I guess some folks collect them like artwork!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
The Avenger by Hutch is beginning to shape up. A lot of work ahead before carbon is applied.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
Don, your plans are art work.    Don't have all of your plans, but they would make for a great conversation piece on a large living room wall. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 09:55:48 AM »
Don: I wish you would try to do something about making your profile Warbird plans available again, from a reliable source.  I had contacted Jim Snelson couple of months back and he SAID he was still providing plans.   But, I ordered 2 sets and he has not delivered.  Sent a follow up email and no response.  Its a real shame considering all the effort you put into these great designs to not have them available.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
The old T 6 has sure been good to me I have flown Don's Dauntless with the LA46 and it is a good plane also. I think the Sato is putting out more torque ( power) what ever word you want to use. The plane ,engine and prop just flat out work well together. I think any of Don's planes will very capable with good power up front and trimmed properly.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »
Don gave most of his original drawings to Snelson. I have made a copy of the Avenger for him. If people can make copies of their drawings for Don, he will again have plans for everyone. He will also be able make any minor corrections if items are found by people building the airplanes.

As already said his plans are a thing of beauty and all the airplanes will fly well.
AMA 7544

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
I gave the drawings to Jim Snelson as I got tired of filling an order for one plan set after the first run was sold out. I got a message from Jim Snelson today and he has had some health problems but says he will fill orders again so if you want a plan, send him an e-mail message at  clcentral@msn.com
Allen Perret also got a message from Jim stating he would get his order filled so let us all hope for the best as for getting those drawings. Since I did this, I have done three more warbirds, the P-51H Mustang, the Navy NE-2 (Piper Cub) and the Navy T-34 Turbo Mentor. This one will be a killer with the tricycle gear! Also has the paint scheme and nose number of the real T-34 my granddaughter soloed during flight training! I can supply copies of these.
Don
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:24:30 AM by Don Hutchinson AMA5402 »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 10:19:13 AM »
Here is more on my Avenger. The pictures show the lucky boxes, and beginning of the hinging.
AMA 7544

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »

Looking really good Tom, it will be great to see this one finished. y1

Any paint scheme plans yet?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
I tried getting on CLC website and it's no more? Maybe I have an old link?

Aren't they the ones that handled Don's plans?

What's the latest?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
I have been in touch with Jim and he is now getting plans out after dealing with some health issues. If you want to get one of the plans, send Jim an e-mail at  clcentral@msn.com
Don

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
I have been in touch with Jim and he is now getting plans out after dealing with some health issues. If you want to get one of the plans, send Jim an e-mail at  clcentral@msn.com
Don

Good deal! Thanx, Don
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »
 I am truly sorry to hear of Jim's health issues, but I finally gave up a while ago on trying to make contact. I found it especially frustrating to not even see any sort of updates or responses in their own Vendor Section here on the forum. I tried for quite some, through multiple avenues, including the above Email address, and also with potential leads from Don, to make contact with either Jim or Emily and never get any response at all. I would like to do business with them again. Hopefully Jim gets better, and we can all start doing so again.

Wayne Willey

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 12:09:48 AM »
Wayne,
The paint job will use 3 colors similar to, but not exactly like this one.

Since I always have a reference to and dedication to 9-11 on my airplanes, the cowl and tail numbers will be 911.
AMA 7544

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »

That's going to look great Tom, it's hard to beat the 'ol three tone Navy scheme. The 911 will be a nice touch too. y1

What museum is the photo from? Looks like a B-29 tail sticking up back there...

Wayne Willey

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 05:38:29 AM »
Here is the inboard wing tip. The adjustment block is from bass wood with holes 1/4" apart for 1/8" O.D. eyelets.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
Wayne,
The picture is from the Imperial Air Museum, Duxbury, UK
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:27:42 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »
Just a quick update on the Avenger. I have started applying the carbon fiber. Not much to show in pictures. I will assemble all the parts after the carbon, and the fillets will follow.  It will finally look like the Avenger.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »
Here's the primed and sanded wing ready for assembly. All compenets are now primed using the Napa 340 primer that Sparky uses. It works great without having to use the regular spray equipment and with the required gun cleanup.

All components are primed and I hope to have the everything sanded and start assembly this week.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:25 AM »
Here more.

Look at the previous picture and you will see that the wing is held with rib plates. These were made to set at a given distance from the center line of the wing ribs. In this case 3". It also coincides with the distance to the bottom of the fuselage.

This reference will also be used to accurately locate the stabilizer distance hinge to hinge and incidence.. I will show this in the coming pictures.

The aft end of the fuselage wing cut out is accurate. 

NOW let's take advantage of mistakes! The L.E cut out  of the wing cut out is not accurate. Using strips of balsa a little thicker than the gap, squeeze the ends with your fingers so that it will wedge into the gap. This will actually help align the fusuelage vertically. A triangle is used to help.  Tack it and recheck, and recheck, recheck again. Add more of these pieces using CA or thin CA. When done simply trim the pieces flush with the fuselage sides. This will all covered with the Super-Fil fillets. 
]
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
And people wonder why I keep all those little scraps of balsa.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 11:51:22 AM »

Looking good Tom! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Vince Mankowski

• Ensign
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
Is someone kitting Don H.'s profile warbirds???
Vince Mankowski

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
               NO.
           Doug

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 01:24:46 PM »
Sorry but no one is kitting any of the warbirds, however, if you send a plan for one of them to Action Hobbies/Lazer Works, they will laser cut a kit for you. They are the first listing below in the venders corner. Then they will have the computer files and can cut another one anytime after yours. That model will also then be listed in their catalog.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 04:18:09 PM by Don Hutchinson AMA5402 »

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
Above I mentioned measuring from the centerline of the ribs down, in this case 3" , to use plates to align the wing.

Here is how this measurement is used:

I make fixtures that locate the stabilizer hinge to hinge. They also locate the bottom of the stabilizer for proper height and incidence.
 This method takes the eyeball trial and error guess work out of it. The time savings is enormous!

This is shown in the first picture.

The major assembly is shown in the second picture.

Obviously this shows the speed advantage of using the fixtures.

AMA 7544

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
That is going to look so good when finished! Should be a good flyer too! As you are finding out, the warbirds are big airplanes capable of turning a nice pattern in hands more skilled than mine!
A bit of possibly good news, I may be getting the master copies of all the warbird plans back. Will keep ya'll posted on this.
Don

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »
Really impressive Tom, I like the alignment fixture idea. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »

Tom,

Maybe I missed it somewhere, what are you planning for power?

Wayne Willey

Jim Roselle

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
I only have plans for two of his designs and a short kit of another.   The one I want to build is the Corsair with out the flaps.   Talking to him in Dallas he said that was a good idea and to try it.

I should have plans for the corsair shortly. When I get around to building I will do it as a F2-G Super Corsair:

Jim

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 05:26:15 AM »
Wayne,
Power will be a LA .46

Jim,
Don's Corsair will be a thing of beauty. It will look grat in that paint scheme. Good luck.
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here