News:

• April 26, 2024, 03:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Latest Headline, "Malasian Airliner carrying lithium ion batteries"  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Greg McCoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
I know this isn't control line, but batteries, and battery safety have been discussed here.

Quote headline

"Missing jet WAS carrying highly flammable lithium batteries: CEO of Malaysian Airlines finally admits to dangerous cargo four days after DENYING it

When asked days ago, he said it was carrying 'tonnes of mangosteens'
    Lithium-ion batteries have caused 140 mid-air incidents in last 20 years"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2586308/Missing-jet-WAS-carrying-highly-flammable-lithium-batteries-CEO-Malaysian-Airlines-finally-admits-dangerous-cargo.html

What do you think?
AMA 77370

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Latest Headline, "Malasian Airliner carrying lithium ion batteries"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »
Well, that doesn't mean that was the cause of the problem.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
Perhaps the Lipo-s were leaking and caused an electro magnetic field that upset the navigation, radio and transponder systems.  It could happen?

Joe Daly

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
Headline says "lithium ion" batteries. I know LiPos are different, as are LiFe batteries. Tim, could you inform us about all the different types of Lithium based batteries and their good/bad points? I are confoosed.

I was wondering if these were a misspelling of Lithium Iron, for instance. Also, it doesn't make much sense to ship any lithium based batteries from Malaysia to China...seems like they'd be going the other direction.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:05 PM »
Headline says "lithium ion" batteries. I know LiPos are different, as are LiFe batteries. Tim, could you inform us about all the different types of Lithium based batteries and their good/bad points? I are confoosed.

I was wondering if these were a misspelling of Lithium Iron, for instance. Also, it doesn't make much sense to ship any lithium based batteries from Malaysia to China...seems like they'd be going the other direction.  D>K Steve

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

According to these people, the names "Lithium Ion" and "Lithium Polymer" more or less cover the same territory.  Basically, if it's lithium and rechargeable, then it's got polymer in there making it work, and the way it's working is by shoving ions around.  Some people make distinctions about the names, but there's no real "official" difference.

There's a whole bunch of materials that can be used for the cathode -- if it's iron phosphate, then you have a LiFe (Li-FeP04 if you want to be nerdy about it).  The article I point to lists four.  Add to that the fact that there's a whole lot of different ways to mix the electrolyte (all involving flammable organic solvents), build the cells, construct the electrodes, etc., and it gets really hard to make generalizations other than "sometimes they burst into flame".

Li-Fe cells are less prone to bursting into flame than Li-other stuff cells.  But that's 'less', not 'not'.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:00:39 AM »
I don't see the batteries as being the problem. I don't think it was intended to crash, and doubt it was an accidental event....I'm more about thinking it was an attempt to steal the plane, but it went bad because the pilot got "lost" and ran outta fuel. ;D
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_based_batteries

According to these people, the names "Lithium Ion" and "Lithium Polymer" more or less cover the same territory.  Basically, if it's lithium and rechargeable, then it's got polymer in there making it work, and the way it's working is by shoving ions around.  Some people make distinctions about the names, but there's no real "official" difference.

There's a whole bunch of materials that can be used for the cathode -- if it's iron phosphate, then you have a LiFe (Li-FeP04 if you want to be nerdy about it).  The article I point to lists four.  Add to that the fact that there's a whole lot of different ways to mix the electrolyte (all involving flammable organic solvents), build the cells, construct the electrodes, etc., and it gets really hard to make generalizations other than "sometimes they burst into flame".

Li-Fe cells are less prone to bursting into flame than Li-other stuff cells.  But that's 'less', not 'not'.

Tim - Stealing from the same site you quoted, I like this page better...

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/the_li_polymer_battery_substance_or_hype

...because it gives more of a practical explanation of the tangible differences while it goes on to debunk the use of a "true" poly battery, because being a lump of solid plastic, and not being attainable without heating to get it going. I think from a practical rule of thumb (but not 100% of the time) you could generalize that eyeballing two batteries, one in a foil bag and one in a hard shell, that *most* of the time, the one in the hard shell will be the ion, and the baggie will be the poly one. I know that statement lacks a lot for accuracy, but assuming the two batteries lack labels, taking a battery apart and analyzing it's chemistry isn't much of an option either.

EricV
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:05:26 AM by Eric Viglione »

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
For us the difference in the types is the v per cell.
My charger shows the following. The setting is critical for charging.

Lithium Ion or LiIo = 3.6 v per cell
LiFe = 3.3 v per cell
LiPo = 3.7 v per cell
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
The batteries had nothing to do with this accident.  Everybody knows that SPECTRE is behind it.  The plane is intact on the seafloor under a camouflage net, right next to a rusty Avro Vulcan.
Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Why not an "Alien Abduction" theory, while we're at it? CIA plot to get free batteries for their snooping devices? Was there anybody important on board? Important enough to warrant a "hit" by the NSA or ATF?  LL~  LL~ LL~ LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »
Why not an "Alien Abduction" theory, while we're at it? CIA plot to get free batteries for their snooping devices? Was there anybody important on board? Important enough to warrant a "hit" by the NSA or ATF?  LL~  LL~ LL~ LL~ Steve

I am not saying it was aliens, but ... It was aliens.

Brett

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 02:27:46 PM »
I've always thought it was " Dr. EVIL" VD~ VD~ VD~ He does have a submarine to retrieve the jet Liner y1 y1   Where's Austin Powers ???  LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
In recent reports they indicated that the Li batteries were cargo not connected to anythin and packed according to regulations. Li batteries just sitting there have not had problems. If they were bouncing around, charging or discharging at a higher then rated amount is where the problems have occurred.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »
Eric:  I like your link better than mine.

Steve:  I'm sure the OWCA is on the case.  Where's Perry?
AMA 64232

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
Now if only the flight crew were wearing their Aluminum foil helmets, all would have been well.   :##
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
I think that  there are likely 239 people who wouldn't share in your humor.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »
The 239 passengers might be laughing if they're enjoying eternal life in Shangra-La instead of sweating it out in Malaysia or Red China.

Who said the far east was safe?
Paul Smith

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 01:25:30 AM »
Obama will be holding a press conference tomorrow afternoon, claiming that this incident was Bush's fault.  y1 y1

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 07:24:23 AM »
Actually it was clearly Ricard Nixon's fault.  Without his opening of trade with Red China, there would have not been a Boeing airplane flying into Peking, or Chinese products overwhelming our economy.
Paul Smith

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
I think Bill Clinton, Monica and Jenifer flowers are involved somehow
Don

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 10:25:24 AM »
It would be interesting to see if you funny guys had family on there how many jokes you would be making.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
   I am not saying it was aliens, but ... It was aliens.

Brett

Brett needs to pack up one of his tinfoil  hats  and send to this guy  :-)     

Randy

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
It would be interesting to see if you funny guys had family on there how many jokes you would be making.

Malaysia to Peking?  Not my family.  Maybe Obama's.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 04:33:15 PM »
Malaysia to Peking?  Not my family.  Maybe Obama's.

Probably not but there were 4 Americans on board. Too bad they weren't related to you. See how funny that would have been.
Bill Morell
Vietnam 72-73

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
I agree with Bill!!

Lay off these childish jokes, it would be different if some of your family was on board!!!!
Bandolero

Advertise Here
Tags: batteries 

Advertise Here