News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:40:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2 more Control Line videos from inside the circle in High Definition  (Read 15682 times)

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
This time we got complete patterns in.  First one is my dad Gary Hays flying his 770 sq. in. Stiletto.  Then me with my new Strega.  Both Powered by ST 60's You can tell from the videos that the Strega just wont quite cut a 90 degree corner like my dad's Stiletto.  I might do major surgery to my Strega and move the stab back a full inch and see if that makes it pop a little better in the corners.

Enjoy

Offline Richard Walbridge

• Lieutenant
Re: 2 more Control Line videos from inside the circle in High Definition
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
This time we got complete patterns in.  First one is my dad Gary Hays flying his 770 sq. in. Stiletto.  Then me with my new Strega.  Both Powered by ST 60's You can tell from the videos that the Strega just wont quite cut a 90 degree corner like my dad's Stiletto.  I might do major surgery to my Strega and move the stab back a full inch and see if that makes it pop a little better in the corners.

Enjoy
Very cool Jared!

Rich Walbridge
Central Valley Stunt Mafia
AMA 755468

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »
Thanks Rich, excellent presentation!
AMA 34849

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
Oops, sorry, I meant Jared-  guess I should finish my coffee ::)
AMA 34849

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »
Tell Dad he still looks like he could put it to the kids.  He hasn't aged much.  Also have you let him fly your plane.   I don't think you are hitting the corners like he was from the hand movements I could see.  Hope to see you guys some time this flying season.   Maybe you two could come to the Topeka annual contest on Memorial Day weekend.   We don't have the Gage Park flying site anymore.  We are now out in the open.  Pic is Jim Lee flying at the Ringmaster Marathon the club took part in last year.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:22:53 AM »
Thanx a bunch for the Videos.
Just in time and helpful for another thread in another german CL Forum.

Okee dokee
 ;D Peter

I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:56:23 AM »
That is very cool. What did you use to record the video?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Robert Groves

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
Hey Thanks .
This was very helpful for someone who is trying to learn to fly the pattern . Being able to see the hand - arm input . Also if I watch them over & over might help with the dizzies before the first flight this spring !!! Really enjoyed them.

Robert  :)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »
Jared,
Very cool thanks for posting. For your ship before you do surgery on the tail moment, first you might want to reduce the flap to elevator deflection ratio, giving more elevator than flap. The other thing to try is to increase the handle line spacing 1/4" at a time until it starts hopping out of the corners. If you add length to the tail moment it will generally slow and smooth the corner not make it crisper.

Best,        DennisT 

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
Yea we're hoping to make Topeka this year, to soon to know for sure.  Yes, dad has flown my Strega and I have flown his Stiletto.  They are miles apart on there turn characteristic's.  I have trimmed the Strega quite a bit and it has improved a ton but My dad's Stiletto is just that good.  My grandpa always called it the "Spoiler" lol.  I am using a handle we custom made with a lot longer line separation and that helped too.  Its just our findings that ARF's just don't corner like a scratch built plane.  I even set this one up a lot more sensitive than stock.  I am going to try to give it more elevator throw in relation to the flaps before I move the Stab.   But we moved the tail back 3 inches on a Brodak Oreintal ARF and it made a world of difference.  And we measured the moments of the Stiletto compared to the Strega and the biggest difference is the distance of the elevator hinge line to flap hinge line is 1 inch different between the 2 planes.  Stiletto is longer.  But the Stiletto is also a high aspect ratio plane.  Long thin wings long skinny stab and the Strega is a THICK wing and wide stab so who knows for sure.  Wont know till I try.  I also added 1 oz of tail weight to try to help it corner which it did help.  If you really yank it hard trying to get it to corner it will kind of start to do this stutter jerk thing.  One other thing that made a huge difference was changing from a 14x6 Xoar prop to a 13x7 Zinger.  That actually made the biggest difference out of all the things I've tried so far.  My dad's Stiletto turns a Zinger 14x6 as do all of our other ST 60's.  I filmed the video with a GoPro Hero 3 camera on a head mount.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
I'd suggest 1)  check the flap/elev. ratio and probably 2) trim the flaps narrower. Big flaps kill the corner. Easier to do than moving the stabalizer aft, and easier to restore to stock if you want to. Maybe Brett will come along and give more info. I'd start with 1/2" and then 1/4" increments. Put tape over the bare wood edge and chop away at your leisure.   H^^ Steve  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:48:56 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
 ;D Very cool!  My Dad was just getting proficient in CLPA when I was in short pants forty years ago! During stunts heyday as the most popular AMA event, he did well in the midwest . Years later we flew head to head in competition with the same design.  designed together. We judged each other....every decent evening, everyflight for several years. We had head sets so we could talk to each other outside the circle, dont try it ,doesnt work well....practice only of course. We lived just two miles from the field and flew a lot. We learned a lot too!  As long as your Dad's fire is lit for it, I hope you both have a great time! ;D

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
Yea the Strega does have pretty beefy flaps I was pondering that idea and actually thinking of doing that to our brodak cardinal ARF too.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »
Yea the Strega does have pretty beefy flaps I was pondering that idea and actually thinking of doing that to our brodak cardinal ARF too.

Wow that was quick....I was modifying my post as you replied. Under modern power, flying lightly faster... the Strega could do with less flap....you/they are right. Just reducing the flap throw considering the more modern power plant is a real consideration. I didnt even read all of the previous posts and was thinking the same thing as the other replies. Ted has has always been a proponent of narrower flaps and fat airfoils. Sound advice here.

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
What about shortening up the flaps a bit so they aren't full length so don't go all the way to the wing tips???  A lot of our other stunt ships the flaps are not full length.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »
I'd suggest 1)  check the flap/elev. ratio and probably 2) trim the flaps narrower. Big flaps kill the corner.

Until they get too small, at which point the get suddenly much worse.

In any case, the Strega is liable to take a lot more effort to corner than the others in the stock configuration.  I can't tell for sure, but the LE seems like it camse stock. This is the first place to work on, strip the covering and round that baby off as much as you can without going through the LE sheeting (and even if you do a little, probably OK). The LE is some sort of stringy hardwood about 1/4" square.

After that, it will be pretty safe to start removing flap travel or cutting the flaps down. These aren't as grossly disproportionate as the Cardinal.

But what I can tell from the video (which may be less-than-accurate) is that the handle has a lot of offset and it's a cable handle. When flying something with this kind of control force, the springiness is exaggerated. The offset coupled with the massive line tension greatly increases the apparent control force, AND, you have to move it a long way past where you want it to go to get the desired start/stop. I maybe see a little "swoop" caused by excess flap, but what I think is more significant is that it seems to take an eternity to get the corners started.

It's never going to be a fingertip sort of deal but I think some careful attention on the handle end will be worthwhile.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 09:33:02 PM »
What about shortening up the flaps a bit so they aren't full length so don't go all the way to the wing tips???  A lot of our other stunt ships the flaps are not full length.

You help the control loads and turn balance more by leaving them at the same span and reducing the chord, but in this case it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Get the LE rounded off and you won't likely be running out of lift.

Brett

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 09:52:51 PM »
  Until they get too small, at which point the get suddenly much worse.

In any case, the Strega is liable to take a lot more effort to corner than the others in the stock configuration.  I can't tell for sure, but the LE seems like it camse stock. This is the first place to work on, strip the covering and round that baby off as much as you can without going through the LE sheeting (and even if you do a little, probably OK). The LE is some sort of stringy hardwood about 1/4" square.

After that, it will be pretty safe to start removing flap travel or cutting the flaps down. These aren't as grossly disproportionate as the Cardinal.

But what I can tell from the video (which may be less-than-accurate) is that the handle has a lot of offset and it's a cable handle. When flying something with this kind of control force, the springiness is exaggerated. The offset coupled with the massive line tension greatly increases the apparent control force, AND, you have to move it a long way past where you want it to go to get the desired start/stop. I maybe see a little "swoop" caused by excess flap, but what I think is more significant is that it seems to take an eternity to get the corners started.

It's never going to be a fingertip sort of deal but I think some careful attention on the handle end will be worthwhile.

Brett

I don't fully understand what your getting at about the control handle paragraph...can you explain that to me some more.  I'm using a farther spaced handle to try to gain as much throw as possible.

And yes the leading edge is stock and I am intending on rounding it off...

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
I don't fully understand what your getting at about the control handle paragraph...can you explain that to me some more.

I think the connection points are too far from your hand. Offset is the distance from your wrist to where the cables come out. The longer that is, the more you have to pull against line tension to move the controls, so the controls "Self-center" more, and it takes more effort to move the controls. In this case, you have a Baron-style handle, so I would suggest that you shorten the screws that hold the bar until you can barely fit your fingers in between the bar and the handle. I think in your case this means loosening the nuts that hold it and screwing them towards the handle. In this case, I expect the line tension is very heavy, so anything you can do to reduce the degree to which you have to pull against line tension just to move the controls is going to help.

By "cable handle" I mean the lines are connected to the handle with a cable, as opposed to a hard-point or solid-contact handle, where the line clips connect rigidly to the handle. Snaking the cable in one block, around the back, through the neutral clamp, and back out through the block makes even the very heavy cable compliant so when you move your handle, it gives a little. This effectively filters the movement of your handle a bit, so that you have to move the handle more than you really need just to take up the compliance, until the corner gets started, then you can move it back to the position you need. Making the spacing wider helps but that changes everything, not just the compliance to start/stop the corner. Most people have started using hard-contact handles, where the only compliance is in the lines, and found very surprising improvements in exactly the places it looks like you are having trouble.

Brett

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 10:33:13 PM »
I didn't see (or write) anything about this Strega being an ARF or ARC. It didn't show any wrinkles, that I noticed, anyway. But Brett has written about improving the profile Cardinal ARF a lot by narrowing the flaps. A search will turn up the thread...but he said 5/8" worked well.

On the other hand, I flew Jerry Day's kit Cardinal, and I thought it was terrible until we adjusted the elevator clevis a little, and then it was pretty good, tho the wing wasn't yet levelled.

Sometime later, Paul Walker flew it and said it was easily the best flying PC he'd flown. Sometimes we can get Paul to fly a plane for us and tell us what to change...not so much, anymore.  :( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
   I think the connection points are too far from your hand. Offset is the distance from your wrist to where the cables come out. The longer that is, the more you have to pull against line tension to move the controls, so the controls "Self-center" more, and it takes more effort to move the controls. In this case, you have a Baron-style handle, so I would suggest that you shorten the screws that hold the bar until you can barely fit your fingers in between the bar and the handle. I think in your case this means loosening the nuts that hold it and screwing them towards the handle. In this case, I expect the line tension is very heavy, so anything you can do to reduce the degree to which you have to pull against line tension just to move the controls is going to help.

By "cable handle" I mean the lines are connected to the handle with a cable, as opposed to a hard-point or solid-contact handle, where the line clips connect rigidly to the handle. Snaking the cable in one block, around the back, through the neutral clamp, and back out through the block makes even the very heavy cable compliant so when you move your handle, it gives a little. This effectively filters the movement of your handle a bit, so that you have to move the handle more than you really need just to take up the compliance, until the corner gets started, then you can move it back to the position you need. Making the spacing wider helps but that changes everything, not just the compliance to start/stop the corner. Most people have started using hard-contact handles, where the only compliance is in the lines, and found very surprising improvements in exactly the places it looks like you are having trouble.

Brett

Ahhh now I understand.  Yea well worth trying out, thanks for the advice.

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Okay so last night I trimmed off the covering on the leading edge of the wing of my Strega.  Sanded the sharp pointy edge nice and round and found Monokote Missle Red to be an exact match on color.  Also shortened up the cables on my handle a bunch.  WOW what a difference the Strega corners almost as good as my dad's Stiletto now.  I was even able to re-adjust the push rod length to undo the up I had to add to the elevator/flap neutral position because the plane would turn inside better than outsides.  Also doesn't hunt for level while flying now.  But can't say enough how night and day this thing is in the corners now.  I also ordered a hard point handle from Carl Shoup to try as well.  Will let you guys know how I like it after it arrives.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 07:39:45 AM »
See it pays to listen and try things.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 08:09:14 AM »
Yea I was planning on doing the leading edge at some point but I'm glad I did it now rather than waiting any longer....Its like a whole new plane!

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I have been wanting to see something like this for years!  #^ H^^. Outstanding job of showing the arm, handle position and the model at the same time. Over the moon seeing this.
AMA 59633

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »
What a terrific POV from the handle))))) Really got excited seeing these videos and now cannot wait to get a handle in my hand again. Getting back into it after a 19 year break. These were inspiring. Loved hearing those 60s. Right good looking ships as well.
Thanks.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »
First of all, thanks for posting these two videos.  It's great to watch the pattern from someone else's point of view and to see how they do certain maneuvers.  Thank you.

Now for a safety moment.  Every morning at work, my group has a "safety awareness moment" where we are encouraged to bring up anything safety related and discuss ways to avoid serious injury.  Slips, trips, falls, unsafe driving practices, senior moments, there are no out of bounds.  Some of us actually admit to doing something stupid and getting hurt while doing it.  Rather self incriminating, but it helps to increase everyone else's awareness and if it can stop one of your friends from getting hurt, well, it's worth it.

When I first watched your videos I actually cringed.  I am in instructor at our local R/C field and the thing I yell at my students the most about is removing the glow plug battery while reaching around the prop.  Both of you guys did exactly that after starting your planes.  I know I'm probably going to get flamed, and that's OK if I can save one person from getting seriously injured.  We've all seen enough pictures of what these props can do to human flesh, it's not pretty.  When you think of how many vital parts are running through your arm and wrist, such as arteries, ligaments and tendons, well the chance for a serious injury is something that we can't take lightly.

In your second video at the 4 to 5 second mark, your arm is so close to the prop, it's scary.  I tried to pause the video at that exact point and take a screen shot, but I couldn't get my video player to work that precisely.  All it would take would be any kind of errant move, a slip, a gust of wind, anything, and you're looking at some serious carnage.  Who knows what could happen if you cut that major artery that runs right through there.  How many of you guys carry a tourniquet as part of your flight gear?  If you fly alone, or even if you don't, you should seriously consider having something to stop serious bleeding and I'm not talking about Sponge Bob Squarepants Band Aids.

Anyway, that's all.  My intention is not to beat anyone up, to sound all high and mighty, or to lecture anyone on safety.   I just wanted to point out something that I thought was worth mentioning.  Please be careful.  I always come around and stand behind the prop when removing the ignitor.  It only takes a couple of seconds more to do it that way.

Warm weather is finally here, happy flying guys.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »
I have one in my pocket.  It is called a handkerchief.  I've had to wrap up fingers and thumbs until I could get to a point to where I could get help.   Mr Hays and son have ben around long enough that they know the consequences of a prop strike.   They have a local flyer that has to be especially careful as he is on blood thinners.    But, it is good that you noticed the safety issue.  Thanks.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline GonzoBonzo

• GonzoBonzo
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
Looks like a beautiful spring day in Omaha.  Seymour Smith hasn't changed a bit.  I can't believe that plane is still flying.  The only Orbital Eagles meeting I ever attended, (think it was held at a library on Dodge st.), your dad had just finished building that plane, and brought it to the meeting.  I remember a trim issue with the wheel splats.  Had to be mid 80's.  Then it was off to Godfathers pizza.  Good times!
Gonzo

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 08:12:46 PM »
I've found, over the years, that heeding the advice of Mr Buck is "much" smarter than ignoring it.

Although we were wearing paper shopping bags over our heads at the time, we shared an afternoon dealing with exactly the same issues with a Strega ARF ...and pretty much solved them in the same way you did.  As--I believe--Steve mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of making flaps no wider in chord than necessary to provide the lift necessary for the tricks can pay big dividends.  Sounds like you experienced that effect.

Good on you.  I'd love to see a video of your pattern after the change.  Dad whipped your butt pretty good the first time around but I bet youth and  reflexes are about to overcome skill and experience!

Good on you both.

Ted Fancher

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 12:24:35 AM »
I think the extreme wide angle of the GoPro camera makes it appear that my arm is closer to the prop than it really is.  I am actually well below the prop.  I am very aware of the big 14" props swinging at 8k RPM out there and know the damage they can do.  But good looking out!  Dad's Stiletto is pushing 30 years old and still going strong.  Still looks almost brand new.  Would like to get a video of the Strega after the change as it was a huge difference from the pointed leading edge and now I can compete against the Stiletto and dad but....the bad news...I hit severe wind turbulence last saturday in the horizontal 8, the plane hinged severely and yawed inward lost line tension and since I was on the down-leg of the outside loop of the 8 there was not sufficient time to regain control and the Strega went in full speed nose first  :X  Also bent the crank shaft in the ST 60.  Talk about a sick feeling, I know almost every modeler knows the pain.  So disappointed that I finally got the plane contest ready and now 3 weeks before the first contest its history.  

So ordered another Strega from Brodak.  Unfortunately they are completely out of "White" Strega's (and may not get any more), but when I called they said the "Red" Strega was the color I wanted.  I said your sure, its like the picture on the box?  They said yes.  It gets here and its not the picture on the box its hideous red and yellow...So I stripped all the covering off and I am re-covering it with Monokote.  Positive note I was able to round the leading of the wing easily and wont have to worry about the nasty chinakote covering anymore.  When all said and done the wings and stab will look like the ARF "White" Strega but I'll pry make the fuse trim scheme a little more to scale of the real Strega than the ARF Strega's.  Luckily the custom P-51 rudder and wheel pants I made were not damaged in the crash so I can just transfer them over.  Highly doubt it will be ready for Des Moines Contest, slight chance by Topeka.  I'm hoping everything I learned from Strega #1 carries over to Strega #2.  If it does and I don't have to spend a month making 3 min trimming flights over and over it might be ready for Topeka.  But I'm not rushing things if its ready its ready.  If not well we got 20 other planes hanging up down there lol.

The ill-fated Strega

The new ugly Strega

yuck

already looks better

wing half covered in new white monokote

red is done on new wing except for angle section next to fuse

Will post more photos as I go.  

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:26 AM »
Although we were wearing paper shopping bags over our heads at the time, we shared an afternoon dealing with exactly the same issues with a Strega ARF ...and pretty much solved them in the same way you did. 

I knew we were in trouble when it was stalling in the triangle at 8:30 in the morning when it was only about 70 degrees. By the time the afternoon rolled around, and it was 85-90, I was stalling it in the 4-leaf. In fact that happened on the winning flight.

I still think you did a much better job dealing with it than I did as  far as babying it through the corners. I pretty much threw caution to the wind, the only place I fudged it at all was in the triangle. It stalled in every other corner, and several round maneuvers, when the day got hot.

Brett

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »
Tonight's  progress on the new strega:  Flaps are hinged and installed on the wing and push rod connected.  Started recovering the fuse, and the new fuel tank is plumbed the way I want.  Bed time.

bare fuse

about 1/3 of the way done

I think the deer approves

looking good

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 08:26:04 AM »
Looking good,  Myself I was out flying with David Trible as the shop is getting to me.   Almost went out Saturday, but it is no fun flying by ones self.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »
Was very windy again here this weekend...No good for flying unless your Jim Casale haha.

Anyways 3 hours of tedious monokote work on the fuse of the new strega...Doesn't look like I accomplished much but looking better every night.  Going to be "a little more" scale than my first Strega on the color scheme.  Curved the red downward on the nose more like the real one rather than upwards like on Strega #1 where I just covered the factory blue.  Also the red comes down a little more on the sides on the fuse rather than just the top.  Bed time.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
Yep, it takes almost as much time to do a good Monokote or plastic finish as it does a paint finish.   Curing finish is what takes so long for me. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 12:01:57 AM »
Tonight's progress: more monokote, hopefully by this friday night I will be ready to epoxy the wing in place.
Lights out

Red done on inside edges of wing next to the fuse both top and bottom, and straight line of blue done top and bottom will work on tapered corners tomorrow.

Blue stripe done on fuse both sides

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 12:47:06 AM »
Yep, it takes almost as much time to do a good Monokote or plastic finish as it does a paint finish.   Curing finish is what takes so long for me. 

Certainly. The most difficult thing about iron-on covering is that one mistake, and you almost have to start over, because it is unfixable. Screw up with dope, and all you have to do is sand it down and try again.

I gave up trying to monokote fuselages a long time ago, if I had an ARC (not likely...) I would monokote the wings and tail, and paint the fuselage. In this case I would have assembled the airplane before attempting to put the final finish on the fuse.

Brett

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 07:23:30 AM »
   Certainly. The most difficult thing about iron-on covering is that one mistake, and you almost have to start over, because it is unfixable. Screw up with dope, and all you have to do is sand it down and try again.

I gave up trying to monokote fuselages a long time ago, if I had an ARC (not likely...) I would monokote the wings and tail, and paint the fuselage. In this case I would have assembled the airplane before attempting to put the final finish on the fuse.

Brett

I figured it would be easier to monokote the fuse while its still its own piece rather than trying to work around the wing...It seems to be working out pretty well so far, just tedious and time consuming either way.  This is the first monokote job of this magnitude I've done.  Usually I have just monokoted the wings as well and only one color, but going to school on this one.  So far I think I'm getting an A+  :D

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »
Well it's looking good from here.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
Okay tonight's progress,  Got the blue on the wings done top and bottom and mounted the fuel tank.  Epoxied the wing into place in the fuse.  Time to go have a serious conversation with my pillow.

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
Alright its done...should be able to get enough trimming and practice flights before Topeka...But I'll fly something else at Polk City.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »
Whooooo Buddy))))) That looks real nice. Look forward to a video of you flying that Strega.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »
Alright got the new Strega out tonight for a maiden flight.  Had to tweak the flaps just a bit, add a little tip weight, and move the leadouts a little.  But all in all it flies very nicely.  Looks like everything I learned from the first Strega carried over into this one.  Only thing I couldn't change/fix at the field was the inboard landing gear wire was twisted inward slightly making the plane want to turn in at me while on the takeoff roll lol.   Got that fixed now will hopefully get a couple more flights in tomorrow night and then I'll try out the hard point handle also.  Already flies almost as good as the first Strega on the first night out where it took me a month and 2 gallons of fuel on the first Strega haha.  Maybe just maybe, it will make its debut in Polk City next weekend  #^

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »
 ;D Very nice! Good looking bird and I wish you luck for the whole contest season!   H^^

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
 Also....love that flying site ya'll have.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
Thanks guys,  We are pretty luck to have to site we have...It is in need of some repair but we are still pretty spoiled.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 05:36:23 AM »
Unless I missed it somewhere -- are those T&L Tigre .60's ?
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2014, 07:28:26 AM »
Our ST 60's are box stock with a tongue muffler and a ST Bullring 46 venturi.  Perfect combination.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here