News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fraud Alert - Credit Card scam  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fraud Alert - Credit Card scam
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:25:05 AM »
Guys,
There is a credit card scam going around that you need to be aware of. It is an email from "Chase Bank", the email states that several computers have tried with different passwords to access your account and they need to check the security of the account and they have frozen your account. This is a lie and they are fishing for information.

They tell you to log into a link - DON'T do this!!!! Call your credit card company and report the email, they may have you forward the email to their abuse group. They will also check your account to make sure no one has frozen it. 

Best,      DennisT

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Fraud Alert - Credit Card scam
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
Most of the time it's a waste of time to try and report emails, they usually come from hacked accounts and point to hacked web sites. The best thing to do is never click a link in an email period... Just delete it and go on. If you are not sure if it's legitimate just go directly to the finance institutions web site from your browser.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 12:28:50 PM »
Dennis, where have you been?  That sort of scam has been around long enough it has a name -- phishing.

Basically, the only thing you should do in response to an email that purports to be from a bank is to then get in contact with the bank using the usual web site (if you do your banking over the web), or by calling, or by going for a visit.

(The latest ones are pretending to be court summons or eviction notices.)

The scammers can get away with it because they steal time on computers using malware or viruses, and because sending an email is free, which means that your computer can be infected and you won't know without checking your email logs.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
You mean to tell me that that kind Indian man that keeps calling me and telling me he sees a problem with my computer is not honest???
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

John Leidle

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
  Thank you for the heads up Dennis,, John L.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
   I thank you too Mr. Dennis.
          Doug

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »
Just got one from the Ebay.   Also get them from my bank of all places.  Go to the sites first and check to make sure you have been sent a message.   Usually you take care of it there on the site if it is legitimate.  Other wise just delete immediately of you don't any head aches.   Anything that shows up on my spam mail never gets looked at any more, even if I recognize a name.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags: credit card 

Advertise Here