News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stiletto 660 engine choice  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Stiletto 660 engine choice
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »
I am thinking about the PA 40 UltraLite with pipe.  Good choice or is it too light for the design ?  Would not want to have to add a bunch of nose weight for balance.   Also, will the design accommodate the pipe without losing the N-30 status ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Stiletto 660 engine choice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
I am thinking about the PA 40 UltraLite with pipe.  Good choice or is it too light for the design ?  Would not want to have to add a bunch of nose weight for balance.   Also, will the design accommodate the pipe without losing the N-30 status ?

The PA Merlin 40 will be plenty of power, but the motors are very light so you cannot build heavy and expect to not add tail weight..if the plane is light it will balance well'
Other choices are  St G51 , ST 46, HP 40, PA 40 Side Ex ,  There is nothing in the rules that will stop you from using either a pipe or rear muffler if wanted

Some other have used a VF 40 or 46 or ST 60

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »
I was thinking that if the fuse had to be modified to accommodate the pipe it might be an issue with the N-30 classification.

No not as issue, it is an exhaust system just as a rear muffler is

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
Hi Allan,

I plan to use either a ST G.51 done by Randy or a PA .51 with rear muffler.  I don't want to use a pipe in a "non-modern" model.  ;D 

I used a ST G.51 in my USA-1 (700 sq. in.) and it was plenty of engine, even in the turbulence at Huntersville!  (It was sold and Derek Barry has flown it, ask him.)

BIG Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
When I first came out with the 660 kit I was asked by a buyer if he could fit a pipe in it. here's what I did as a test to save him a bunch of time an possible heartache. The bottom line is with some minor modifications a pipe will fit.
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:37 AM »
That would be really sweet, I think. But then, I'm the guy that wants a piped PA .51 in a Shark 45. If they can fly OTS and Classics with Electric, there's no justification for not allowing a pipe, except for being vindictive and mean spirited. The electric still has an advantage, after all. VSC is a unique situation...they can do as they please, and with good justification...as long as they don't allow electrics in Classic and OTS. If they did, then I would call BS. 

Bruce Hunt, NATS judge and former PAMPA District XI Dictator has a Stiletto 660 with a Stalker .51/rear muffler that seems to do just fine. We typically combine Classic and N-30 with no prejudice, for one set of trophies. Nobody complains, and Bruce usually places at the top of the heap. There are not that many flying Classic and very few flying N-30.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »
Mine is getting RoJett 51 with Brett's sprinkler venturi mod and rear exhaust muffler.

If I had a brand new RoJett, I would have re-mounted the cylinder for side exhaust and used one of those carbon fiber mufflers. That would have been even sweeter.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
Steve, better make that phone call...electrics are allowed in Classic at VSC. One twin engined electric model scored quite well at the 2013 edition. As far as pipes go...one was tried many moons ago (no relation to Doug), I think it was an Olympic with a pipe. Pilot unnamed to protect the guilty. With the intrusion, I mean inclusion, of electric motors at VSC it may be time to test the water once again. As has been previously stated, a tuned pipe is just a long CF muffler. I'm thinking a "United" with a PA 40 Merlin UL. 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:16:02 PM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
Mine is getting RoJett 51 with Brett's sprinkler venturi mod and rear exhaust muffler.

If I had a brand new RoJett, I would have re-mounted the cylinder for side exhaust and used one of those carbon fiber mufflers. That would have been even sweeter.

If you have a rear exhaust and want a side exhaust, or the other way 'round (if it's a barstock case version) you can send it to Dubby and he'll switch it for about $50. I have a used RO-Jett .76 that I had converted to rear exhaust. I asked Dubby if it'd need a new piston, to which he said "No, these cylinders are round". I guess he's right, 'cause the compression is very good.

Apparently, the new management at VSC has different ideas on what to allow, so I'd say a tuned pipe would be a good bet. But it might be a good idea to make it so you can switch to a header muffler, to cover your bases. I don't expect to go to VSC again. It'd take me at least 3 days, maybe 4, and I just don't have the coin for that sort of stuff anymore. I'm still wanting to go to "Perry Fire" in Edmonton, but it's looking unlikely for the same reason.  :'( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here