News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:22:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sig Super Chipmunk build  (Read 27309 times)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Sig Super Chipmunk build
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:57 PM »
OK guys (and girls) here we go!

First a bit of background. I rarely build kits, I have a pile of RC ones that sit there, and over the top of them I'll happily scratch build whatever I want. Up to now all my control line models have been scratch built from someone elses plans, or worse, my own. I noticed recently that my local hobby shop has SIG kits in stock. The running joke at the LHC is that they never have anything I want, but after seeing a few Kobras and smith miniplanes (another kit I'll probably never build), I got all hot under the collar, and started enquiring about what else they could get.

As it turns out they were happy to get me a chippy, one of my life-long loves. Seeing as they could get it in, I jumped in, maybe a touch prematurely n~

I'm planning to build this ala Dave Fitzgeralds modifications, and maybe a few others to shave some weight out of it. As it stands the wing will lose it's asymmetry and I've stretched the span out an extra inch each side.  The wing will move forward a little and the tail will be stretched as far as I can on the supplied  fuselage sides. I don't plan to use the heavy wood for the tailplane, and instead will go for a 1/8" ribbed core and 1/16" sheeting over that. Should look the same but weigh less. I still haven't decided as to whether I'll do the same for the flaps. I may do if I have a rush of blood to the head. I've got a 4" bellcrank that will find it's way inside, of course it will be fitted with a weight box and adjustable leadouts. If I can get my head around it, it'll probably also have an adjustable elevator horn. After much discussion on the engine a trip to said hobby shop will probably procure me a nice new 46LA to power it.

I read everything I could find on the chip and found that with some modifications it could be a pretty good stunt model. I gingerly opened the box and was greeted by a pile of printed sheet balsa, some sticks, a nice canopy, and some heavy ABS parts.

I then do what I usually do, which is put the plan up on the workshop wall, have a cup of coffee, and stare at it, until I know exactly how it goes together. I don't lay plans down unless they're under my glass worktop, and in this instance there's really no point as the rib spacing and spar positions aren't the same.

I read the instructions and sniffed at the method of construction of the wing for a starter.

The plans call for laying down the trailing edge sheet and building the wing off that. I'm not to keen on this method for tapered wings. while you may end up with a flat side, I always worry I'll build two sides with the same washout, making a nice propeller shaped wing!

I thought about building using rods, but eventually caved in, and built a sacrificial jig using rock hard 3/8" stock I had lying around. Centrelines are marked on the blocks, and the fronts are set up to accept the diamond leading edge, and the TE is notched for the 1/4" SQ TE.

Using a long straightedge I set up the TE in the right position, and using the root and tip ribs, set the LE to be in the right spot. After that, I fed in the lower mainspar, and fitted the rest of the ribs. Each one was slightly too long or just a little short, so some 'micro fitting' was called for. eventually I had the ribs all in with a few CA tacks, and checked it for straightness.

As each rib was pulled out, I made a quick tracing, just in case I need to do some repairs, and the root and tip ribs will be used for cutting the fuselage and tip blocks later.

A few asides, meet Catty, he's a fixture in most of my recent build threads (on other forums) and he's usually hovering around  or looking at an area of importance. Keep an eye out for him! Another thing to note is my trusty new scales from hobbyking. A paltry 9.90 to ensure you know what weighs what.

Some pics of yesterday's work. :)

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
Re: Sig Super Chipmunk build
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
...and some more pics.

Unfortunately my camera takes HUGE photos, so it's proving to be a bit of a crapshoot as to how many pics I can upload at a time.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 11:58:19 PM »
Here's some details of the jigging blocks, Nothing special.

Dave Fitzgerald mentions fitting 1/16" ply doublers to the landing gear ribs, and moving the gear blocks to touch the spar. Who am I to argue?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:38 AM »
OK, after that little round of pictures, it's question time!

I need to start considering my bellcrank mount. The plans call for a 1/8" ply floor which the bellcrank is bolted to. I'm not overly partial to relying on the nylon to nylon bearing in sig bellcranks, and I usually glue the whole shebang together and sleeve it with brass tube and use a steel rod for the journal.

I'd like to do that again if I can. As I see it, I have a number of options here. one is to fit ply spar doublers drilled to take the steel rod (basically a suspended bellcrank), that will back up the mainspars, or I could go for an Al Rabe style BBQB mount. Would 1/8"  brirch ply be enough for the spar doublers?

Thoughts?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »
If you want to go over the top on the control system, replace the nylon bushing with brass or aluminum and integrate that into a hanging pivot.  That's what I did on my first stunter, which was a whole lot of work for a plane that was going to get crashed in less than a year.

On pictures: Most digital cameras will let you set the resolution.  If you can't, then there are slews of picture resizing utilities out there.  I use Gimp, which is basically an open-source version of Photoshop.  Using it just to resize pictures is kind of like using a milling machine to whack holes in plywood, but it does do the job.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »
Be sure to fill in between the gear support blocks and the spar to help resist the block rotating.  Yes it will add a small amount of weight, but less than what will be gained after repair of torn out blocks and then adding the fill in. As I remember there are balsa half ribs laminated for that reason, toss those and replace with 1/16 ply. I know, weight..... See line two above. ;)
AMA 34849

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
Here's a pic of the control horn from my Waiex.  I made a vertical rod with a shoulder to match the ID of the bellcrank, then made a spacer to match the rod.  The whole thing bolts up to a pair of parallel plywood plates.  It was durable enough to last longer than the airplane (which didn't last for a year).

Note that this picture was taken at 2816x2112 resolution, then cropped and resized using Gimp.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks guys, I've reset the camera to produce smaller images, so hopefully I shouldn't  have to do much post processing. No building today, but tomorrow I should be back at it!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 04:48:09 AM »
We're still a little behind, so we may as well get up to speed.

Now that the ribs are down, and everything has been trued, it's time to fit the top spar and aft sub-spar.

I'd hate to say it but in one of my scratch builds the spar line is a little better than what I've been given, and while the checkouts for the spars may look ok, they don't neccesarily align. a little tweak here and there with a rat-tail file does the job.

After that, I drop the spar in and push it flush with a big T-bar. If it's not sitting flush, some tweaking of the checkouts is required, so that the spar will seat nicely and end up flush with the ribs to ensure the sheeting isn't warped, or worse, the spar is sanded away to a nub to ensure flat sheeting.

With that said however, the aft sub-spar I chose to let it hang out a touch, so that a simple lick with a long permagrit bar would give me a nice mating surface to glue the trailing edge sheeting to.

We're now at the point where I can start to get the hinge lines knocked out, and possibly devise a nice bellcrank mount. Using a 4" bellcrank has meant that I will need to do some surgery to the ribs though.

Knowing me they may well end up as a pile of dust. Once I start with a sanding drum on my dremel even my engine mounts will probably get lightened. Considering that I've now run around with CA and locked the structure down, I may have to steal my right-angle drive from my good buddy to sneak in between ribs.

Until I manage to procure a motor to engineer my crutch, the fuselage is on hold. As far as I'm concerned, any extra width from the engine crankcase to the fuselage sides is wasted space. So apart from starting sheeting (the supplied SIG sheeting is like 1/16" mahogany, so that'll be put in the scrap bin) on the wing, the tail feathers should get a look-see soon.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:30:24 AM »
Nice work!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
are you saying the NEW Sig Chimpmunk kit has printwood?
Just glad to be here

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »
Curare,

Coming along nicely, looks nice and straight!!

Got your Chipmunk graphics or masks if you need um?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
David_Ruff, yeah, mine's printwood!

It's actually a muddly mix of printwood, unmarked sheeting, laser cut stuff, and die cut stuff. Some good die cut, some die crunched.

Weird!

Charles, thanks for the help with the masks, but I have a guy here in Perth that does stuff like that for me. If I didn't though, I'd be shooting you a PM quick smart!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 06:39:23 PM »
I recently bought a Super Chipmunk wing kit from Sig. Very reasonably priced at $26.  It appears that they assemble wing kits from on hand sources.  The flaps are print wood, which is good as I am going to build it equal span.  There are a mix of lazer cut ribs and die cut ribs.  The die cutting is actually quite good. The lazer cut ribs are perfect.  2 ribs that are die cut on the same sheet weigh twice what other ribs weigh.  I could use them on the outboard wing or cut replacements.  All told a real bargain for the price. I also bought a pair of Twister wing kits for future projects.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
Joe, I wish my flaps were printed, mine are lazer cut! they're look nice but they're too small, and assymetrical!

I haven't stepped foot into the workshop since my last posts, as I've been nursing a sick partner, so I've been cooking chicken broth (and a huge mess) while she convalesces on the couch.

Hopefully today she'll be back on track and I can get back to making a bigger, balsa coloured mess.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »
David_Ruff, yeah, mine's printwood!

It's actually a muddly mix of printwood, unmarked sheeting, laser cut stuff, and die cut stuff. Some good die cut, some die crunched.

Weird!

Charles, thanks for the help with the masks, but I have a guy here in Perth that does stuff like that for me. If I didn't though, I'd be shooting you a PM quick smart!

Your guy in Perth, if he needs an art file I'll be glad to send what I have to him. He can scale it to your model size.

I'm sure, one way or another, he'll get the file opened with my help. I can send it a few ways.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 01:50:49 AM »
Charles, thanks for that, what format do you use?

In all fairness, I'll more than likely do it as the box art. I have a strange hangup with 'classic' models, it was the box art that usually sold us, and I feel that my builds are tributes to that. My other love is vintage sailplanes, so my last two, a Graupner Cirrus and a Airtonics Sagitta look like the box art (only prettier).

And yes, if I ever get around to grinding out a Curare, you can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be done in Hanno Prettner's scheme.

Anyway back to the build, or lack thereof.

I decided that I'd let my friend keep the right-angle drive, as I've borrowed gear of him that he's pretty much given me, and it's probably worn out already :-*  So after work, I went to Bunnings, (our home depot in australia), and guess what, no right angle drives. A 20 minute drive home saw me swing past their competitors, and guess what, NO DRIVES!

Geez, I'm going to have try a few more stores or go cap-in-hand to my buddy and steal it back.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
Curare,

I can send different formats so your graphics guy can open the file. Illustrator, CAD, DXF couple others.

He should have stuff to read files. Like I do.

If you google, you will see that the above Chipmunk is a model of an actual "Pepsi" sponsored airplane.

Most of what I do is scale.

I'll be glad to help your graphics guy out if your model goes in that direction.

Charles

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 04:11:03 PM »
Well, it's been slow going for the past few days, progress is being hampered by two things: the absolute inability to find a right angle drive for the dremel so I can eek out those ribs, and worse, I've become paralysed by detail and second guessing myself.

My partner calls it "overbraining". It's a bit of a weird one this time. Building a kit lead me into a false sense that someone had thought about enough that I could build it, and to certain extent that's true, it'd probably fly ok box stock, but I made a rod for my own back (and a ache for my own head) when i started to divert from that plans. Its really easy for me to end up paiting myself into a corner mentally and doing the worst possible thing, not enjoying building.

Bellcrank positioning and mounting is still twisting my head off, but I think I've got that licked to some extent. I hope... :-\

Horn geometry is another. AS is horn material, I'm really struggling to find decent guage steel that's not galvanised. I was tempted to use brass, but I think I'd prefer steel.

SO to get over my mental and building paralysis, I've taken a leaf out of Bob Hunt's Purple project thread, and done a little bit each night.

I added a couple of 1/32" ply doublers to the spar join on centre, and added extra meat to the TE to accomodate flap hinges. I also laid out some laminated flap leading edges out of 1/32" sheet, to sort out my hinge pockets. After doing this once before, I'm totally sold on it, as I HATE gouging balsa to fit hinges in. It feels barbaric!

Today I'll be getting a few things sorted, and using my time at work to draw up some internal structure for the tailplane. Having a look at the plans I suddenly realised just how small the tail area is, it must be close to 15%. I've realised I'm going to have increase it a fair way to get area. I know I'm looking at an increase of about 4" all up, and maybe even a little increase in chord too.

I hope it doesn't end up looking too much like a giant flipper!

In other news, engine is on it's way!

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
Greg, I hate it when I get into that mode.

My dad, who used to suffer from the same problem, would ponder things for a while then mutter "I guess I'd better go do something, even if it's wrong", and then he'd make progress.  Sometimes he'd make so much progress in such a wrong direction that the next time you'd see him he'd be cutting a car apart with a sawz-all, but on average his progress was forward, at an astonishing rate.

What's that saying attributed to the Russians?  "Perfection is the enemy of good enough", or something like that?
AMA 64232

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 05:29:57 PM »
Hehe, Tim the only russian saying I know is "the first pancake is always lumpy"

Heopfully tonight I can frame up flaps and tailplane, and on saturday my good buddy is bringing the right angle drive down to me in exchange for a timing light so he can finally fix his car.

Once I get that sorted, I'll be futzing around with horns for a while.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
Some days you have a win, I was out the back of the office, and noticed that some parts for one of the companies had come in on a new style steel pallete. Some of it is made from 1mm steel, and mounting pads look to be 2mm. I stole one of the stays to make horns out of and within 20 minutes the rest had been picked up and thrown in the trash!

While waiting for the boss to come in this morning, I've been overbraining again..

I've already decided that the tips are going to either be blocks or vac formed bubbles ala Al Rabe (I steal a lot of ideas from everyone whenever I can), as I'm not a fan of covered rib wing tips.

The thing that's floating around in my mind at the moment is sheeting the wing. I know the guys who'll stooge for me are a bunch of lummoxes, and i'm pretty sure they'll put a finger through a silkspan wing in a heart beat, and for that matter, I don't really like open bay wings for finishing.

I'm now thinking that it might be an idea to sheet the wing with 1mm (about 40 thou) stock, rather than leading edge sheet and cap strips out of 1/16".

Thoughts?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
PROGRESS!

While waiting for my pal to turn up with the right angle drive, I set out the plans for the tail plane (flaps too but they're a little hard to shoot). I don't build much with pins these days, as it's hard to push them through glass. I use the spray adhesive method outlined in the Hot stuff Building Tips videos, Brett Buck mentioned it a while ago and it's certainly changed the way I build.

Link for the interested :

I'll laminate the leading trailing edges to make the hinge slots, then slice it in half to ensure the hinges line up exactly.

Another little move forward was getting the horns soldered. Everything I'd read on the SIG horns made me trust them about as far as I can kick them. If you've ever tried to kick a horn you'll know it ain't far. So I set out to build my own, for the first time. I'd worked out the geometry (for better or worse), and made the parts. I'd bought a Bernzomatic torch and a silver soldering kit. I cleaned everything, fluxed it, and then was completely bemused as the flux went black before I could even melt some solder on it! Further investigations detemined that the flux wasn't right for steel, it activated at too low a temperature, and so was all burnt by the time the steel was ready to accept the solder. One of my good friends loaned me their flux, and I tried again.

The results aren't going to win any beauty prizes, but they're solid enough for use, and they're hidden anyway. Not bad for a first try I think. Next time they'll get better I'm sure.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:16 PM »
Back to the wing!

I've decided to do a suspended bellcrank using spar doublers (there's a thread on here somewhere about it, and I stole the layout wholesale  ;D). I'm running a slightly canted crank, to get things aligned, but first step was to crank out the spar doublers. The top is ready to go, and the bottom is just waiting for the 1/32" ply spar joiner to finish drying and they're ready to install.

While waiting for the spar joiner was drying and I had the wing upside down, I got stuck into the landing gear mounts. A little tweaking, and a little trimming had them fitting nicely, but a little high. I didn't want to cut away the rib much more and only needed about 1/32" more to go, so I rebated the gear blocks, which made for a nice interlocking fit that holds the gear blocks even without glue. The landing gear upright leg will be held by a 1/8" spacer on the inner rib, and a 1/16" ply cover fitted over it. This too is blatantly stolen from Al Rabe's mustunt, as it's simply the nicest way of holding the upright I've ever seen. A little bit of lightening of the blocks and they're all set to glue in.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »
Well it's been a while between drinks, and it's probably time for an update.

It's not good though.

While I was working on making a set of foam cored wings for a profile, I had the cores on the workbench opposite the chippy wing in the jig, ready to start sheeting.

My way of doing sheeting is stolen directly from Bob Hunt's tutorial, so nice flat bench, cores down, big flat chunk of slate on top and then more weights on top of that to give enough compression.

Well the wing had cured and it was time to get rid of the weights, when I misjudged the CG of all the stuff on top of the cores, when the slate toppled straight onto the chip wing, and all the weights slid right through it.

It's a mess. I've left it to have a good think, but I don't think it's worth persuing at this stage.

So, decision time, foam wing, or built up wing? This mild kit bash appears to have degenerated into a virtual scratch build  :-X
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 05:03:38 AM »
Built up wing.

IMHO, makes a more interesting build.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
I have repaired severely crash damaged wings ... tough part is getting them straight again.   You can get a replacement wing kit from Sig cheap.
Joe Daly

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
Yeah, I could do another SIG wing, but I really wasn't all that happy with the construction of the wing out of the kit.

So I got bored at work yesterday, and generated a set of ribs to do an egg crate wing. Same airfoil and planform as the original, but the structure is pretty much as per Jim Van Loo's wing.

I managed to rummage through my forrest of balsa, and found some nice quarter grain stock. All I need to do is get cutting and I should be back to where I was in a few hours.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
I have rebuilt some planes that were beyond economical repair and made a plane out of the wreckage of 2.   When it comes down to it they are almost scratch built as there are more fabricated replacement parts than original.
Joe Daly

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
Well, after a lengthy hiatus, I've stepped back into the workshop to turn some good balsa stock into dust. for the last few weeks it's all-go getting my partner ready for a 6 day hike through tasmania. She's never done anything like this so it took a lot of planning and time to get it sorted but she's off and I have the house to myself. I would have built half the plane by now if it were RC, but considering it's CL I've been suffering a little from builder's anxiety, and truth be told, I may have run away from the job till I plucked up enough courage to build again.

First thing was building a decent engine crutch. Noting that some of the boys on here are dead serious about alignment, I built the crutch on my glass workbench to ensure that both beams are dead flat. I infilled the centre section with light cross-grain 1/2" balsa, and now I'm wondering whether or not I should do windy's trick of planking it with 1/64" ply on the tank side. Thoughts?

Also I got started of the tailfeathers. I build a 1" wide strip of hinge pockets, and cut it in half once the tailfeathers were dry, to ensure that the hinges line up exactly. The result is a nice straight core, with perfectly alinged hinge pockets.

Now the big question, to taper or not to taper? I had considered cutting slots in the core and fitting brass or aluminium ferrules for the horn, but this would cause issues if I taper it, namely I'd have to taper the ferrules somehow too. Considering my skill level, and building abilty this should not and will not be a concourse winning model, but does have to look nice. So, once again, your thoughts please!

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 07:42:44 AM »
Your wing jig is the correct way to align the leading & trailing edges.  Systems that use rods through holes only align a row of holes, not the wing.  

The LE jigs with the diamond cuts can be used for future projects.  You will just need new TE fixtures unless your next build has idential TE stock.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:03:42 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »
Yes, do the ply on the engine mount.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »
Well it's a long weekend here in australia and in between sporadic bouts of flying I'm getting so spend some quality time mashing balsa.

I finished sheeting the tailplane, and some of you helped me determine whether I was on the right track in terms of the stab's strength, I'm reasonably happy with the result, and I think once a bit of silkspan goes down, it'll be tuff enuff.

The complete stab assembly including brutally overbuilt horn weights in at 60.8 grams, that's 10 grams lighter than the stock blank for the stab!  I'm doing the same construction for the rudder, and the sheeting is drying now, so tomorrow I should be able to dress that and that's the tail assemblies ready to finish.

All up the stock fin weighs 17g, and mine weighs 11g now, so after dressing I should think I'd be at about 10.

About a week or two ago I came to the conclusion that a foam wing would be the way i'd want to go, for a couple of reasons. Built up wings are a known, and I try to learn on every model I can, whereas creating light wing mounted gear foam wings isn't something I've done. Also I prefer finishng foam wings than open bay. So I cut some templates.

I managed to clear the workbench and cut some cores. While they're not the greatest in the world, and they could have been a bit better, they're certainly the best I've ever done to date.

If I get some time tomorrow I'll hack up the cores, and get my spar and rib cut to start mounting the wing blocks, thanks to Bob Hunt's beautifully detailed pics.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »
AND ANOTHER THING!!!

I forgot to put this into the last post, but it can probably stand on it's own.

I was perusing the plans last night, and noticed that the engine mounts might be problematic. The plans show the mounts flush with the top of the fuselage sides, and no 1/8" mounting plate on the plans. That means that if I mount the beams as shown on the plans, the motor will be 1/8" too low to align with the cowl hole, or if I raise the mounts, they'll be sticking 1/8" over the top of the fuselage sides. Either way a crappy situation.

Not sure whether I should forget the aluminium mounting plates, or not.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
Notch the mounts for the plates.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:40 AM »
Well, it's been a while, and while it seem that not much has been happening, some stuff is.

I've been working on the wings recently. As I said before, I decided to go for foam wings, and using Bob Hunt's instructions, I fitted a set of false ribs to the cores (not without a few issues, totally my fault). I sanded the wings, and made some skins up. Had I known that I was going to go this way I probably would have bought up big on 1/16" sheet so I could pick the lightest sheets for the wing. As it stands I usually steal the hobby shop's scales and rifle through their stock every second week or so, picking out their good stuff, so I had some reasonably light sheets laying around. I rummaged through all the sheets that I had, and came up short, so to make ends meet I used the stock sheeting from the kit. Not great but any port in a storm I guess. I decided to use these as the tapers, as they're considerably stronger than the rest of the stock, so hopefully any extra weight will be put to good use as a tapered spar.

Once the skins were dry, I sanded both sides, and picked through to find the good sides, and did a little bit of pre-finishing with 220 garnet. I then marked the not-so-good sides, so I wouldn't mess that up (as I've done in the past), and weighed the sheets, so I could stick the heavy ones on the outboard side.

I then vaccumed the skins, the cores, myself and then the workbench, and the skins again. I layed out a bunch of newspaper and went to town laying the glue. I personally like using polyurethane glue for this, as it foams and fills any minor imperfections in the core. I know that Bob will probably want to hit me for doing that! I use the tried and true method of a credit card with a small set of notches filed into it, to make a comb. I spread and screed one set of skins, gave them a fine mist of water (helps it foam a little better) layed the panel in them, and then removed the paper to avoid contaminating my second set of skins with any drips or smears. Same panel as the first. After that I neatly stacked them, checked for alignment, and started adding weight. By the time I'd used two twenty pound weights, every single model magazine in the house, a few big books and a socket set, I guess the weight would be near 150 pounds. I think that'll add up to about a 0.5PSI pressure. I'd like more, but I just don't have anything else heavy to throw on top!!!

Here's the wings in the "press"

till next time....
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 01:11:39 AM »
Some shots of today's work.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
Looking good!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
Thanks man, but I'll be the first to admit, I wouldn't have ever got this far if it weren't for some of the good souls on Stunthangar.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:31 AM »
I shaped the leading and trailing edges, and used these to transfer the airfoil cutout onto the fuselage sides, but chickened out on cutting them tonight.

Instead I did some hacking and fitting. The chippy finally has a heart.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 06:53:13 AM »
So, here we are at another post.

I've knocked up the basics of a fuselage. In order to get the engine centreline to match the cowl AND use aluminium mount plates, I've had to sink the plates into the maple bearers, no mean feat given my lack of proper tools for dealing with hard woods. Still I managed to get the mounts close enough and whatever misalignment crept in, I linished the pads till they were flat. Photos can be found above. Once I'd glued the formers to the crutch I set about assembling the fuselage. The formers in the tail are 1/16" at about 1 1/2" spacing, dropping down toward the tail to provide (I hope) some support to the tail, and the pushrod.

Windy's videos (ala Paul Taylor) show this better than I ever could.  After that I filled in between the formers with 1/8 x 1/4" diagonals to give the fuse some torsional ridgidity. We'll see in time whether or not my efforts have been in vain or not.

After that I moulded up a set of front and back  3/32" (as opposed to the stressed 1/8" stock parts) turtle decks and massaged them to be about 1/64" oversize. It's starting to look like a chip now.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 07:00:33 AM »
While all that has been going on, I've been messing with the wing too. Thanks to Bob Hunt's guidance, I've build myself a set of landing gear clips, and they're looking pretty good. These will get glued in tomorrow, but for now I've been focusing on the control system.

I'm using carbon rod with threaded ends, but having a look a the threaded ends I've bought I'm tempted to cut them down a bit to reduce the threads, not only to save weight but reduce having that thin threaded part there when I could have nice stiff carbon instead.

Should I do this? Am I crazy? Am I talking to myself here?

Anyway. the controls work, but I'm a bit concerned that once I thread in a landing gear leg, the upstand may foul the cable. I know that there's no point in having the upstand stick into the wing an inch if it's unsupported, but I would feel better having maybe an 1/8" protruding, which brings about this problem.

Another bunch of questions. Man this build is taxing my brain!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Well it's been a long time coming, and I kind of lost interest in doing this build thread, but I thought that some of you might like to see the finished product.

It's been finished for a few months, but I haven't had a chance to get some pics of it, till now.

Things conspired to make the model heavier than I'd like, they always do, and I had fits finishing it, (simple colour scheme but it endup taking years off my life) but all in all it came out ok.

Not front row standard, but better than most.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:52:40 AM by Curare »
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 01:35:51 AM »
Looks good to me. Good job!
AMA 12366

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
It looks damn good to me. I did the Chipmunk in 1971 and used that scheme. I came close to tossing it in the trash three times and I used K&B super poxy paint. In the end the only problem was a constantly over heating Fox .40 stunt, the big one. Found out years later the engine was not fully broken in.  H^^
Lots of good time and a little earned "hardware" with this ol' Super Chip first with an OS 35, followed by a Bob Wilder tweeked OS 40 and later changed to a modified ST35 with a 40 sleve, piston and liner. Put many years on that old Chip...with sooo many folks who also  got to fly that ol bird before I lost it on the back corner of a horz. 8 a couple of years ago at the Gig Harbor Narrows airport.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 12:51:59 PM »
And I will note that it was an awesome Chip. And Donnie could really fly it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »
Shultzie, I saw some pics of that chip that you posted a while ago, a real stunner!

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2015, 12:42:45 AM »
Hi Curare,
Been a while since I've perused these pages and wanted to say HI! and congratulate you on the Chipmunk. Nice job, looks great and I know how it goes with building Stunters. I'm currently finishing a 10 year old Nobler.
Chris...

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »
Chris, thanks for the kind words.

A bit of an addendum to the old chipper, After building it and flying on the 46LA, I regret my decision to go glow.

Most of my other aircraft are electric, and having to cart a fuel bottle AND a pile of batteries down to the field is getting really old, really fast.

In the next week or so, the LA will be coming out, (and the motor mounts  :o ) and a nice 4S electric setup with a KR timer will be shoehorned into the front.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
Hi Greg,

I think it looks very nice!  Good job.  Will like to hear how you describe the difference between the glow and electric versions.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here