News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:49:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Lay (The Layster) passed away  (Read 18184 times)

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Tom Lay (The Layster) passed away
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
The Precision Aerobatics family has lost a cherished member.  Tom Lay passed away from complications of a recent surgery.  He touched our world with his humor, dedication to his passion of model airplanes, his friendship and the ”magic” he performed on model airplane engines.  Actually it wasn’t magic – it was years of testing and flying to find just the right combination to optimize his engines.  He shared his knowledge via his T&L custom engines which reached the top of the Precision Aerobatics world, powering National and World Champion planes.   Funeral services are pending. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:25:50 AM by De Hill »

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Lay passed away
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:29:19 PM »
Damn!  Sorry to hear this.  Tom was not only a top-rated engine preparer but a good friend.  Years ago he gave (yes, GAVE) me a nice 4-bolt sandcast Fox .29 that I used in the 1990 Boxcar Chief.

He was always kind, helpful and modest.

We'll miss him. 
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »
I'm in shock...
Just a while ago I was talking to him about sending my ST60s for servicing...
He sent me this Picture...

Rest in Peace Tom.

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
I hope someone will find the picture of him with the hat that had the .010 powered stunter attached to the top of it. Always thought that was cool. Let's remember too that Tom was an excellent builder and Expert flier back in the day. Quite a legacy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:43:35 AM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:09 PM »
For those that didn't know Tom (and those that knew him and already appreciate his legacy), feedback on eBay contained comments such as these:
The Layster is tops in everyway: quality, cooperation, shipping & craftmanship.
Superb engine as only Tom can do. Thanks!
An excellent rebuild by Tom. Best in the business.
The Layster is tops in every way. Superb quality. I am a happy repeat customer.
Always prompt, good comms, best engine man on planet. Recommended A+++++
First class comms, superbly helpful, an absolute gentleman to deal with.
HERR LAYSTER IST EINEN GOOTEN JUNGE!! UND DE MOTOREN ZINT ZER GOOT AUCH!!
A saint! The most well deserved feedback ever.
PERFECT engine, PERFECT packing, PERFECT service, 5-Stars, THANKS!

The positive comments go on for 42 pages, 2553 transactions in all.  We have lost a great guy.

Offline Luiz Ribeiro

• Lieutenant
    • Ribeiro's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:36 PM »

October 25 2013

I feel very much, I have two very good ST V 60 bought directly from him. The last one I acquired in last November, an excellent guy. Prayers for him.

Luiz

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 05:18:58 AM »
Tragic, he will be missed by many.
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:43:10 AM »
This is a monumental loss to our community. Tom was more than an enthusiast; he was an institution… May he rest in peace in that perfect machine shop in glory.

Bob Hunt

Offline MikeCoulombe

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
Sincere condolences to family and friends, Tom will be missed.

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
Tom sponsored the "Most Fun" award at the VSC for a few years, and then instituted the "Best Buns" award which was voted on by the ladies at the VSC for a number of years.

Tom was a great guy, a masterful engine reworker, and one of the most generous men in the controline discipline.

De Hill
De Hill

Offline Jo Ann Keville

• Ensign
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
Tom will be missed by many. This news has saddened my heart. Thoughts and prayers to his family and all his friends, who are many. I will miss his giant sense of humor. He could always make me stop and smile no matter what was going on around us. Rest in Peace my friend. We know you will be circling around us up there.

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 10:29:28 AM »
The Layster was one of the best! He was a wonderful man and a great frienf.All of us will miss him.

Eric Rule

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
WOW!
SAD NEWS...To lose Tom Lay and now just last week I also lost a dear friend whow was Conrad Thoe, my BOEING BROTHER ...that I am attending a memorial this monday.
He too was a gifted Wind tunnel model maker & supervisor who HIRED ME waaay back in the early 70's.
Maybe these two great friends of modeling be at peace  and will long be remembered until we meet again..."Between Earth and Sky where  the Angels Fly?"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:24:42 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 11:27:16 AM »
This is very sad new   Godspeed Tom  you will be missed .

Randy

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
I am deeply saddened.  Tom was my lifelong friend.  We first met in 1947, when we were both charter members of the South Gate "Skylarks" model club in South Gate, CA.  Tommie was only 7 or 8, and was just starting to fly C/L with his dad, Tom Lay Sr. and his uncle, Ray Lay.

We kept in touch over the years.  He visited my home in CA back in the '90s.  Shortly thereafter, I built a Yates "Madman" and a Playboy Sr. free flight for him.  He regularly flew with another of my old friends, J.C. Yates.

Floyd Carter
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
Tragic news indeed.  Now I kinda wish I still had that wonderful running 46VF he did for me.  I would put it on the wall as a tribute to him, for he was a fine fellow.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
Real sad news. I knew Tom since the 70's. He built my first Nat's motor: A T&L 40. Top end of a ST 46 and bottom end of an OS 35S. Nice!

Since that time he built me many others. Always a happy guy and willing to help out.

Tom, I will miss you!

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »
Some have asked about their engines-in-work. I was asked by Tom before he passed to handle the return of all engines to their rightful owners.  Tom kept very good records so there should not be any problems.  A time to collect the engines has not been set but I will keep you all informed as we progress.  If you had an engine there please send me a private message or email and I'll make sure it is accounted for. Thanks, Ron

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
A couple of years ago, I won an ebay auction of an FP40 that he had for sale.  Brand new, never been run.  I got the engine in short order and noticed that it had no documentation or identification number.  I contacted Tom and he was very nice.  He told me that he had been working 80 hour weeks and yes, he always engraves his engines with a number.  He said he had that engine logged in as T&L 1452 and that I could etch it if I desired or I could return it to him and he would pay the shipping.  I never returned it.  The engine is still in the box and has never been run.  Fortunately, I saved the 4 emails that we went back and forth with.  Now I am glad I did. He was very pleasant and a prince to do business with.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »
He was very pleasant and a prince to do business with.

I did not know Tom personally, but this was my experience also. A year or so ago, I bought a couple of engines from him, and found him a most helpful gentleman. I had no real reason for buying those engines (a 35S and an ST46), but now, I'm awfully glad I did.  Sad news indeed.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »
I remember the first time I met Tom at one of the VSC's. He had a Yates Madman with the engine held in by stainless steel bolts. They must have work hardened and fractured letting the engine fly out but luckily not hitting anything but sod. He crammed in full up right when the now tail-heavy plane was about to hit and managed to get it down right side up. Buried somewhere around here I've got a picture of a couple of his nifty little .010  stunt planes but they aren't digital and finding them would probably take forever. Godspeed Tom. Your passing will leave a huge void in the stunt community. EDIT--- After much searching I found a couple of shots on a photo CD that has some corrupted files that always gives the computer fits, but it worked enough to pull a couple of photos off of it.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
    I've been trying to think of some proper words since I read the news last night.  One of my most prized possessions is my "Tom Lay Most Fun Award" from the 2005 VSC. I first met Tom at my first trip to Tucson in '92 or '93. We were doing an engine change on Chris McMillin's Olympic that required a custom muffler mount, and we were doing all sorts of drilling, tapping and bending of metal on one of the parking bumpers in the parking lot, and Tom was watching. When we were finished Chris introduced me to him and he shook  my hand and said he never saw anyone do that kind of work free hand on a parking bumper before and was impressed. I said, "Well, we had to" and we have been friends ever since. Tom and I liked a lot of the same things and he was always great to talk to. Old Time Free Flight, hot rods, and Tom was an accomplished motorcycle racer also. I was impressed when he emailed some photos of him one time, and I noticed he held a National ranking plate number. Those were earned, not given away. He's lucky that I didn't live down the street from him as I would have been at his house constantly looking over his shoulder and asking questions and bugging him more than when I called him on the phone. I think he was glad I finally got a computer and email, and communicated that way, saved him lots of time! I'll sure miss my California Amigo even though I rarely got to see him in person. Modeling has lost a good friend and there will be a big hole there and in his family and friend's hearts to fill.
   Good bye Tom, and thanks for everything.
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Well, in the (not too distant, probably) future, I'd hope to again meet Tom - among the kindest, most helpful and fun-loving people I ever met - in Heaven.

(Assuming, of course, that I even get to Heaven....which is unlikely.)  VD~
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »
We will make it Uncle Mikey.  I am so glad I got to meet Tom at the VSC.  Never really got close or had one of his engines.   I still recall a remark he made at a banquet on the way up to present an award.   It went something like this.   "Don't rush me, I have two speeds, slow and slower".   There are so many leaving this world for a better place.   Very sad I didn't get to know him better. :'( :'(
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline tom_weedman

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
Godspeed  Tom  Lay
AMA 63672

Offline Bob Kruger

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Truly a great person to work with.  When Walt Umland did Tom Warden's "Trophy Trainer", we were working from some plans that did not come close to the original Warden original he had in his house.  Tom very patiently sent the correct dimensions, outline traces, pictures, et al, and when he finally blessed off on it, we knew we were as close to the original as we were going to get.  He was the same way when we laser cut some OS Max-S 35 backplate gaskets.  He was a gracious as his humor was dry, both of which made a lasting impression on me.

I always looked forward to the day when we would meet in person.  That might be a little longer now, but then again, none of us ever know.

Tom also enjoyed freeflight and mentioned the many enjoyable days flying with Sal Taibi.  I hope that where both of them are now, the boomers abound, DTs work properly, engines run strong, and none of the infirmities of age.

He is missed.

V/r

Bob
Bob Kruger
AMA 42014

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
Very sad day. Tom was a great guy. I had a few dealings with him and he was a gentleman and a lot of fun.

Godspeed.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 02:24:26 PM »
I managed to find a couple of shots of Tom's Ace Backwards.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »
i never got to meet Tom Personally but when i got into stunt 3 years ago i called Tom and we had more than one 1hr phone calls with me giving him some of my idea's and him telling me anything i wanted to know about what he did to an engine we even talked about chroming some cylinders all this without ever meeting , God Speed Tom.
rad racer

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
Some years ago, when Tom and I were flying free flight at the Taft field, we went 50-50 buying a Honda trail bike to chase planes.  When I moved to Oregon, I gave Tom my half-ownership in the m/c.

Is this m/c still at Tom's place?

Floyd

Offline Ron Duly

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
Don't know if it is but I will look and let you know. Ron

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Reply to Elwyn.. Tom also told me about his engine flying out.  I guess he wanted my opinion, because I built the Madman Sr that he flew.  I finished it through covering and clear dope.  Tom did color paint and he installed his own engine.

The Orwick crankcase bolts are 5-40 with ordinary jam nuts.  The usual routine is to tighten the bolts frequently.  My permanent fix is to drill the crankcase for 6-32 stainless bolts with Nylon lock nuts.

I now own that same Orwick that Tom used.  It is a 1947 with 4XXX serial.  One of the few actually built by Henry Orwick.

Floyd

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 04:25:52 PM »
I found a nice pic of Rusty Brown, Tom Martin, Tom Lay, and Ted Snow engaged in some hangar flying at one of the VSC's.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
So very sorry to hear this terrible news.  I bought several engines from Tom over the years and always enjoyed my dealings with him.  Great guy and a huge car nut.  We talked more about cars then about airplanes.  Godspeed Tom.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »

I've been trying to think of a few words since I noticed this post a few days ago.

I only met Tom once, briefly during my first time visit to VSC in 2007. The first thing that caught my eye was the super cool hat he was wearing, the one with the tiny .010 model attached, an "Ares" if I remember correctly. I'd heard of or seen something about that little model somewhere before so an introduction was almost unnecessary. Just looking at that super detailed little model he had built and was wearing told you that this was a guy who was as passionate as they come about our hobby.

While always having been aware of the modeling services he offered, I never did do any business with Tom. Nothing at all to do with him personally, it's just that at my level of ability I simply hadn't needed anything. In hindsight, it's probably my loss.

What I do know for sure is that we've lost another great one, and Tom will be missed. My sincere condolences to all concerned.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
Rest in Peace my friend.

Allen

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:18 PM »
Despite his aversion to Fox motors, he did look over one of mine. No mods, but just an OK, that should run. And it did! Thanks Tom for being you! H^^
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 06:38:30 AM »
       Hi All:

I never met Tom in person but I did have several phone conversations with him in the very early 80's.

These phone conversations concerned a Stunt Motor that he had built.  This engine had an O.S. .35 crankcase with a S.T. .46 piston and sleeve installed.  I have never started this engine as I never thought that I hasd enough skill to keep it out of a crash.  It is a neat engine! I still have the orginal letter that came with the engine and the box.  Perhaps, some day, I may make a stunter for it.  Highly doubtful, as I seem to be running out of time! LOL

In his letter that came with the  engine, break in suggestion etc, he stated that the engine displacement was .40000001.  Talk about a dry sense of humor! I was also told by a local Stunt "expert" that thes engines would only 4 cycle.  Any truth to this?

This is indeed a sad day for all of us.  RIP Tom Lay.

Sincerely,

Frank McCune

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here