News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:10:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New York Control Line Stunt Team  (Read 15003 times)

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
New York Control Line Stunt Team
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
The Saturday fly in meeting of the NYCLST was well attended today.  This is the weekend of the "Dragon Boat Race" at Flushing Meadow Park and the park was packed.  We arrived at 0700 so that we could park near the circles.  The Dragon Boat Race is large rowing sculls manned by what looks like 20 rowers. It is an annual Chinese festival.  The boats are really big for rowing.

I got the bastardized Forerunner/Mustang Stunter flying decently.  A little more trim to do but it is close.  The NYSCLST was so much help in getting the electric systems and trim sorted out.  With all the help I received I saved a season of frustration and mistakes and got a good working setup right off.  Couldn't have done this without this forum and their help.  The wealth of knowledge here is not to be believed.  We had a good morning and it was continuous flying from 0730 until 1030.  Winds got variable and shifting so all decided tomorrow would be better and we packed up.  We left on all good flights.  That doesn't happen often. 

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New York Control Line Stunt Team
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 03:21:26 PM »
Joe,
We all had a great time thanks for coming out to fly with us!! I should be out early again tomorrow as its the final day of dragon boat racing and I expect the park to be packed again. Glad you are enjoying that Forerunner. It's definatly getting there!!!
Will
AMA 98010

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 05:03:56 PM »
Now you know the advantage of a great group of guys to fly with.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »
Some photos from this morning

Will DeMauro SV
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
Tommy Tucker Illusion
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
Neal's Nobler.  This one is old enough to vote.  Can handle just about any wind.  I think Neal flew it during Hurricane Sandy.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
Another good day flying ... perfect weather at FMP.   We all flew until we were out of batteries.  Plus there was a Sterling Yak 9 with Fox 36X power.  I concentrated on good flying and it paid off.  The bastard Forerunner Mustang Stunter flew as well as it is capable.  Just too damn heavy.  I slowed it down with the FM-9 timer to 5.2 laps.  Will D flew his SV22 that he competed with at the Nats.  Rock steady airplane.  Ron Heckler's Mystique was strong too. 
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
I am going to bring my weed wacker for the circle next week.
Joe Daly

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
Forget the weed whacker.  Go to your local ACE Hardware in the garden department and get some grass/weed killer in concentrate.  The stuff I have sprayed here at home is completely gone.   Was turning brown within two days.  Well you will need a sprayer to mix it in and spray.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
Not a bad idea.  Plus it will not grow right back for awhile ....

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »
...weeds? ...
AMA 11416

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 12:06:02 PM »
John,
How are you doing???
AMA 7544

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
... Hey Tom, I'll give you a call.
AMA 11416

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Neal Beekman did say that when he flew combat ships on the grass circles the weeds would poke holes thru the wing covering.  The grass is decently cut right now but the weeds are growing in the cracks in the paved circles.   I was going to get that taken care of.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
Flew the Nobler in gusts of 20 miles per hr.today , 4 flights doing the pattern each flite. ~^
Neal Beekman

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
I cant match Neal's feats of flying in rough conditions.  Wind doesn't seem to bother him.  I did fly today at the local schoolyard.   Near zero wind, temperature 77* with the sun behind the trees.   I only brought 2 batteries so I could only fly 11 minutes but it was a real blast.  I found out that the BFMS can do overhead 8's.  I thought I was doing horizontal 8-s and then realized that they were so big that I actually doing them overhead.  The reverse prop really holds this slug out on the lines.   

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »
Nice weather brought out a lot of flyers to Flushing Meadow Park this weekend.  Neal Beekman was there but he didn't fly anything because the wind never blew more than 6-10 mph.  He prefers 40 or more.  Tommy Tucker was flying his Illusion and experienced structural failure of the horizontal stabilizer when nose down vertical in a lazy 8.   He pulled it out inverted and skimmed onto  the grass next to the circle.  Damn good flying.  Assumption is that the flaps gave him enough control to get to level inverted flight. Other than the broken stab which knocked off the rudder and the broken prop the plane is in good shape.  Should be repaired for this coming weekend.  Ron Heckler flew his new electric original design with a Caprice wing.  Flew nice. A lot of good flights on Saturday. 

Sunday, Will DeMauro, his son Kevin and I came out and flew.  The new longer nose fuselage on my BMSF worked well.  Still heavy at 59 ounces but doesn't hunt for neutral any more.   I am still stiff flying from the long layoff but getting flights in.  Kevin showed why he did so well at the Nats.  He gets a lot out of his Gieseke Nobler.  Will is a study in consistency.  He flew his SV22 a number of times. I saw 4 flights. Always complete pattern.  Always nice open maneuvers.   I could learn a lot watching him.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
Just left the park. Wind picked up to 12 mph and we decided to call it quits. We had 4 flyers. Dwight was a new flyer with a Horizon PT19.  Nice turn out yesterday. There were about a dozen flyers.  Bob Lampione flew for the first time in 2 years.  He has been at the park routinely just not flying.  He hasn't lost a step.   Neal Beekman was disappointed as the wind was only single digits.  He likes a lot more.  He did add some excitement by narrowly missing a pigeon mid air.  He was doing overhead 8-s with his Gieseke Nobler when a pigeon flew through the circle. He was able to avoid the bird but it was close.  Field looked good. NYC Parks Department cut the grass and week wacked the circles where grass formed in the cracks.  We had 3 circles going Saturday for a while.   Don't forget the Fun Fly set for the 22nd.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
Photo of Bob Lampione - Nats Champ 1969
Joe Daly

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »
Left at 12 mph breeze!!!   Here in our part of the country we don't call it wind until it gets close to 20MPH.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
In the morning we get 2-4 mph and get accustomed to that.  Exception being Neal who like as wind as he can get.  Remember it is rumored that he flew during hurricane Sandy.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
Joe I was flying John's Bi Slob and it's perfect. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Neal Beekman

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 06:04:08 PM »
Doc,

Kansas, being flat and wide open,  20MPH straight line wind is doable. BUT, 10-14 MPH in the tight, tree and building surrounded fields of the N.E- well, they're  a whole 'nother animal.

Mix- master like turbulence is the norm and man, it's tough.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »
Flew the Nobler in gusts of 20 miles per hr.today , 4 flights doing the pattern each flite. ~^
My NoblARF really doesn't like he wind. What do you have for power?

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
Nice turn out this morning.  About a dozen flyers.  My son had his two oldest sons flying the Ringmaster Trainer.  The oldest (10 years) fly unassisted for awhile before he balled it up.   Not much damage,  I will have it ready for tomorrow.  Joe Monaco (Joe Bottoms) flew his Oriental at his customary 3 feet level altitude.  He does the whole pattern and rarely goes over shoulder height.  Hard to believe he is in his 80-s.  John Reilly flew his Tudor/P51/Magician.  Interesting airplane.  Sina pointed out that my old silk covered Shoestring is in reality a Buster.  Built so long ago I just cant remember. I made the mistake of filling the 4oz clunk tank in the Smoothie.  Has a Saito 40 that I converted from RC using Bob Reeves carburetor modification. Flew for 10 minutes. Second  flight I only filled to 2-1/2 oz and that flight was 5:40. A gallon of fuel will last with this one. Al Takatch was there flying a Smoothie from his motorized wheel chair.  He can fly the whole pattern, amazing if you consider he controls the chair with his right hand and flies stunt with his left hand and makes it look easy.
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
The usual suspects were flying as well.  Neal Beekman (Mr. President), Ron Heckler (Mr. Magic) and Will DeMauro (Chief Pilot).  Will flew last weekend in the Broken Arrow contest in St Louis.  He is quick to mention the hospitality and fellowship he enjoyed with everyone there.  Anticipating a nice turnout for the fun fly next week.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
Al Takatch was there flying a Smoothie from his motorized wheel chair.  He can fly the whole pattern, amazing if you consider he controls the chair with his right hand and flies stunt with his left hand and makes it look easy.

Its easy as long as I don't forget which hand controls what, sometimes I can't bear to look.

Saturday, For my first official day back at Flushing, it felt Great!!
Can't understand why guys fly RC, it doesn't get the blood pumping like CL

Looking forward to this weekend and the Fun Fly

Al T.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »
Now you know why I quit flying RC years ago.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
Awesome Al was an inspiration to all at the Flushing Fun Fly. #^
Neal Beekman

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
My son Joe flew the ARF Flying Clown that I bought off Ebay ... Put an old OS 25 FP converted from RC on it with the decals from a Nobler ARF and it changes its appearance dramatically.  The FC actually flies well once we got the engine running "Stunt happy".   
Joe Daly

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 09:03:10 AM »
Good to hear you got the engine running good.   I think Windy U. stated that years ago in a Flying Models article that you can't really start trimming a plane until the power is working right.  The plane looks great with that color scheme.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »
Nice turn out today.  Conditions were excellent. I think we had 8 - 10 people flying. John and Neal held an impromptu Bi-Slob stunt contest.  We had to declare it a draw.  We just couldn't reconcile the BOM points.  I watch the Bi-Slobs fly and they draw a crowd from the joggers and hikers that line the park path along the west side of the fenced in circles. Neal thought he had me with an OS 25 FP powered Mongoose.  I think it has a 4 oz tank and between the speed and the length of the run I started to feel a little dizzy.  It was quick but nearly as fast as a FCS powered Renegade.  Fun --- haven't flown a combat type in 25 years and the feel comes right back. Tomorrow promises to be as good a day as today.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »
Windy today.  We flew a bit but wind was variable and strong at 20mph from time to time.  My son Joe scuffed up the new/old Tutor with a tight inverted wing over pull out.  He needed another 1/2" of altitude. Will be quick repair. Another nice turnout all things considered.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the update, sounds like a wind gliding day
See you on Saturday

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »
Saturday, November 2, 2013 .... wind from the west at 0-1 mph.  Temperature was 71 at noon.   Great flying day.   I ran the ARF Nobler out of batteries.  I only brought 5.  Most of the regulars were at FMP for the last good day of the flying season.  John and Neal flew their Bi-Slobs and together they might have completed 2 level laps. The Slobs look like a  lot of fun.  I might have to get one.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
Went to Flushing Meadows Park on Sunday.  Temperature was 53* and there was no discernible wind.    I flew the Nobler, son Joe flew his Tutor, grandson Joe flew the S1A Ringmaster that his dad built when he was 12 years old ... I converted it to electric and had to replace a lead out, replace Monokote on the inboard wing and do some cosmetics to it. It is a bit beat up but it flies ok for a beginner's plane. 
Joe Daly

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
Joe flying the Tutor.
Joe Daly

Offline Al Takatsch

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
Thanks Joe for the update,
I seemed to have missed a couple of nice days

Al T

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »
It doesn't matter how beat up a plane gets as long as it gets another pilot in the air.   I think there have been more Ringmasters getting people in the air the first time than any so called trainer.  I've lost count how many people I've gotten in the air for the first time with a Ringmaster.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
I think there are more Ringmasters flying now than there ever was.   Sterling should be pissed that they let this get away.   I think that the real reason is that modern kits can actually be built without remaking all the parts.   

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
Hi Joe:

I think you may be mistaken about the number of Ringmasters flying today versus yesteryear. Around 1957 or so, Sterling had a "Guess how many Ringmaster kits have been sold" contest. I entered and guessed 250,000. I placed sixth in the contest with a way too low figure... Could this have been propaganda on Sterling's part... Who knows... I did receive a Maverick kit as a prize...  H^^

Bob Hunt

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
That is a lot of balsa.   Wait I don't think Sterling used balsa. 
Joe Daly

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
That is a lot of balsa.   Wait I don't think Sterling used balsa.  

If it was balsa, it was petrified. :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »
If it was balsa, it was petrified. :)

I remember carrying the leading edge for protection against muggers in New York City.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:45:00 AM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »
If Sterling had used balsa in their Ringmasters of a similar quality to what Top Flite used in Flite Streaks, they would have run them out of business in a year. It is a testament to Kania's design that they sold any kits with the crap they put in the box.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »
But, remember, we weren't spoiled back then like we are today.   With CAD plans(with full size parts drawing), laser cut parts and a booklet telling how to build/finish.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here