News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:42:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I built a N30 airplane, where are the contests!?  (Read 5390 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
I built a N30 airplane, where are the contests!?
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
So, with many starts, crushed before the model could be assembled, rebuilt and finally fnished, I now have an N30 model. Unfortuntately, there are no contests in my area. This is like the chicken and the egg problem. Noone builds 'cause there are no N30 contests. No N30 contests because none builds models for it. grrrr.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: I built a N30 airplane, where are the contests!?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
Well, Steven, now you have the perfect excuse to come down to Huntersville (like a lot of other "Northerners") for the October meet!  We always have a good turnout of those up North.  Nos. 30 has been on the list for a while now.  And the meet is extremely well done.  And generally really good weather!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
Steve,

If "Classic" had remained "Nostalgia", as originally written-including the rolling cut off date-the airplane you built because it appealed to you would have been eligible for hundreds of "Nostalgia" contests all over the country.  Since it was decided that everything since 1969 is "modern" and everyone loved a field covered in Noblers and Ares' those of you who have a favorite airplane designed after 1969 will just have to beg for a place to fly it.

When I wrote that original "Nostalgia" rule your situation was exactly the reason the rolling cut off date was included.

Ted

p.s.  I'm still not sure what made 1969 "the" magic date as to what was "period" and what was "modern" iron.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
p.p.s.

Steve's post also re-raises the question of the positives and negatives of event proliferation that have been debated off and on over the years.  Your post accurately describes one reason to oppose proliferation-what to build and why-and illustrates another-the willingness or ability of volunteer contest administrators to plan space and resources for another event or find some Jerry-rigged administrative work around to cater to everyones' wishes (except, of course, those who wish to fly both of the events, which is precluded by most of the current "one of the other but not both" entries in a combined event).

Ted

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »
p.p.s.

Steve's post also re-raises the question of the positives and negatives of event proliferation that have been debated off and on over the years.  Your post accurately describes one reason to oppose proliferation-what to build and why-and illustrates another-the willingness or ability of volunteer contest administrators to plan space and resources for another event or find some Jerry-rigged administrative work around to cater to everyones' wishes (except, of course, those who wish to fly both of the events, which is precluded by most of the current "one of the other but not both" entries in a combined event).

Ted

Just for clarity, there is nothing in the event I proposed and got passed that stops anyone from flying both events..that is  IF the contest CDs run both events,
There are Clubs that  DO  run  both events at their Contest,
 It was purposely setup so the club or CD could either run both events separate, or combine the events if needed for manpower and circle reasons.
The event was setup to be as "inclusive" as possible, and to be able to fit the Club's or CD's situations .
I would have preferred that Classic/Nostalgia  stayed as it was in the Original state, however that was destroyed many years ago.

Randy

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
. . . I would have preferred that Classic/Nostalgia  stayed as it was in the Original state, however that was destroyed many years ago.

Randy

There is nothing to prevent a PAMPA rule-change proposal.  You and Ted may wish to check that out.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »
Hit the Reset button, combine Classic and Nos 30 and call it...Nostalgia 40?  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
Nostalgia works very well. many contest have been ran over the years, and those who run , fly it, like it very much, It will keep gaining in popularity in the future and will keep things more interesting as far as people being able to fly their Nostalgia/Classic ships.

Rndy

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:11 PM »
N-30 is good, Classic is good. My thought, just speculating, was that if you combine N-30 and Classic into one event why not back the clock back another 10 years. This would make the cut-off date for this year 1973...next year 1974 etc., hence "N-40". It would slow down the "creep" into the modern era which some Classic fliers may be uncomfortable with. Or we could continue with the two classes which seems to be working well. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 07:07:11 AM »
Huntersville contest has combined them for several years now and most people still fly the classic or old time planes in the event. I have not seen any planes from the mid to late 70's except my Juno which I flew last spring
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Most of the contests in Washington and Oregon have N30 and Classic combined. Lots of N30 trophies go in the garbage bin, as most fliers still enter Classic. Next VSC will have "Super 70's", another new event, and caught me by surprise. Never heard of it before the VSC announcement. I think we have too many events.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here