News:

• April 18, 2024, 06:14:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 45, 56 and other questions  (Read 2086 times)

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saito 45, 56 and other questions
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »
I have never used a 4s in any model but I to have a few in the wings.  I have a CL 56 with a beautiful cast venturie setup that I would value any advice on setting up. see pic

The main area where I have questions is about the Saito 45 that I have.  It was given to me a lot of years ago by a fellow RC flyer who just couldn't handle it (He was a motor mechanic but really struggled with any type of model engine!)  I am currently building a vintage, RC assisted freeflight model, a ELF biplane from the late 30's, and this engine seems ideal for it.  I will need to replace the silencer and I could do with some information.
  • What is the thread in the head for the exhaust?  I have only the very battered original (see pic)
  • What sort of baffle does the silencer have in it.  I can make what ever is necessary as I am too mean to spend money<G>

I think that this example of the 45 must be quite early.  I see on the Saito web site that the shaft thread is quoted as M7 x1.0 but on my engine it is M6.  The exhaust on the later engines seems to be a bent tube with a thread and locknut rather than the headed tube clamped in place with a ferule.
I also noticed that the 56 has a nipple into the front bearing wheras my 45 has a nipple in the backplate - is this to improve the lubrication to the front of the engine?

I am also thinking that I will need a proper RC carb for this engine at some future date.  If anyone has a suitable item we could negotiate<G>  BTW  I am in the UK
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Saito 45, 56 and other questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:59 PM »
All of the early four strokes did vent out the back plate. Most of the later ones changed to the front shaft area between the bearings hoping to get a little more oil to the bearings and more bearing life. I am not sure when Saito changed their exhaust pipe mounting. I have a late model 56 that has the screw in with a lock nut type, and an older 90 Twin (two 45's) that has the ferule type. My twin has no baffles in the pipes and no provisions for mounting mufflers on them. The engine is fairly quiet with just the straight pipes. The Elf biplane is a beautiful old timer.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:25:48 PM »
Your 56 has a Dixon CL intake, Tom Dixon had them produced by the company that makes his engines. They are no longer in production but can be made to work. Best to replace the needle valve assembly with a Randy Smith PA needle valve assembly, the spray hole in the stock spray bar is too small. The one I am running has a 1/4-20 nylon screw mounted that can be screwed down into the throat to adjust the intake area.

Should be all kinds of posts on the forum about my setup with this intake first in my Score than the Latency. the search feature should bring up a ton of info.

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »
Thanks Bob & Jim

I found the proper RC carb for the Saito 56 so all my options are open.
Regards
Mike Nelson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here