News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak's Monday, June 10, 2013 - the gathering day  (Read 2713 times)

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak's Monday, June 10, 2013 - the gathering day
« on: June 10, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Elwyn and I left the Red Roof Inn at 7 am and filled up across the street. Gas was only $3.92 a gallon. We drove down I-70 in the rain, through Wheeling West Virginia,  turned south on hwy 79 and arrived in Waynestown at 9:50 am.the room at the Microtel wasn't ready, so we rolled east to the town of Carmichaels and John Brodak's flying field. We saw a lot of people there. Some of them were: Joe Bowman and Nan Gaylord, fellow Tulsa Gluedobbers Joe and Colleen Gilbert and Tim and Ronda Tipton. Also,  Tony Drago and Sue Emens, Doug Bennedetti, Pete Hermans, Phil Cartier, Dennis Moritz, Ken Armish, Tom Schaefer, Al Ferraro, Bob Zambelli, and Harriet Wigmore, Lew and Julie Woolard, and Bob and Elaine Brookins. We also saw Sparky and Allen Brickhaus!

I talked to Bob Krug, who is a Vietnam veteran. He spent 3 straight tours in the RVN as a Helicopter Crewchief/Door Gunner. As we used to say in 'Nam, Bob was crazyhell  to do that. Bob supplies fuel for the Garden States Circleburners, and had  it for sale out at the field today. I even bought a gallon of it.

We watched fellow Tulsa Gluedobber Tim Tipton fly his electric Profile Vector. I think that Elwyn got some pictures of it. I talked to Will Davis about electric flying at the Joe Nall get together. He said the flew over 600 flights for all the kids from 4 to 94. Will said that they had some converts  to controline flying and that some of the converts from the Joe Nall fun fly were at Brodaks this year.

This morning, we had high humidity, and some rain. This afternoon, the humidity left and the temperature dropped.  The weather was much nicer to fly and visit in.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:54:57 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak's Monday, June 10, 2013 - the gathering day
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »
Elwyn and I left Brodak's and went to Waynesburg to get in our room. We were pleasantly surprised by the room. We booked it through Orbitz. ( cheap rate ) We left the Microtel about 3 pm  and returned to Brodak's. The wind had freshened a little and blew away the humidty. Good weather!

We saw John and Buzz Brodak around the field visiting folks around  6 pm.

There was a lot of flying today, and a lot of visiting. This is why so many people come to the Brodak Fly-In. It is a lot of fun! The attendance is down 10 contestants from last year. Of course, some more may show up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:39:06 PM by De Hill »
De Hill

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
Monday Evening's enertainment

Dan Banjock and Ted Heinrich assembled the electric throttled  Double sized Bi-Slob (or the Slobinator as it is also called) The total weight is unknown, ( Ted's guesstimate was 15 pounds! ) but the bare engine , a Supertiger 2350 weighs 42 ounces without the homemade muffler or prop)

It has around 10 ounces of wingtip weight, but the Slobinator still torques into the circle when a lot of power is applied. Ted started the engine (by hand!) easily, and the Big Bislob jumped into the air, and flew 7 laps; it was evidently too lean and died. Ted restarted it and Dan put on a show. It is IMPRESSIVE in flight.

Tomorrow: Dan and Ted will fly the Fox .70 twin cylinder Bearcat.

Elwyn and I watched Matt Colan perform a trim flite on his new Thundergazer. The airplane looks good!

De Hill

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
Many thanks, Elwyn ... and please keep 'em coming!
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Thanks for the pics....
I thought Robert wasn't bringing his beamer... Good thing he changed his mind!!

Awesome place!!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
Many thanks, Elwyn ... and please keep 'em coming!

Ditto! o2oP
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
Roberts been  practicing with the Beamer on the pavement he let me fly it Monday evening all working well with the plane lots of potential. He is going too fly the Continental on contest day.
Joe Gilbert

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »

What's the scoop on Tim Stagg's "Jet"? Looks like another really cool model from Tim. y1

Wayne Willey

Online Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:03:05 AM »
Pathfinder roots with a lot of Tim put in it, a good plane.
Joe Gilbert

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »

Believe it or not I was going to say it looked like a Pathfinder wing from the above photo. That wing would be a good choice to start a "bash" project with.

The model appears to be a semi-scale something, sort of an F-86 but not, what is it? Hopefully we'll get to see some more pics of it.

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here