Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA 46  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 2013 Nats
LA 46
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
My blue LA 46 needs a new piston and liner. Is the blue 46 and the newer silver 46 the same and accept the same parts?

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: LA 46
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Yes and yes. I highly recommend you let Randy Smith set it up. Just got one back and it is a tight fit.  #^

What kind of fuel are you running?
What caused you to need a P&L?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Andrew Saunders

• Commander
  • 2013 Nats
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
The engine is old and low on compression. i have two guys here in my club that can do the work on it. One of them being Byron barker. Ill probably let Mike who helped me build my new plane set it up.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
Have you checked the cost of the new P&L vs. the price of a new engine? It's almost 50%...making me tend to think that it's better to just buy another engine, either new or used.  :(  JMHO, Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34:16 PM »
Have you checked the cost of the new P&L vs. the price of a new engine? It's almost 50%...making me tend to think that it's better to just buy another engine, either new or used.  :(  JMHO, Steve

Certainly seems like it to me. If you wait around Tower will have a 2-fer sale at a good discount.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
just out of curiosity, how many flights did it take for the fit to go away?  I had an LA liner go away in as few as 350 flights, and have seen another one go even sooner.
Steve

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:41:03 AM »
LA46 P/L do not seem to last very long. 400 flights seems about the average before they get worn. I expect that a lot of people will say they last longer than that, but mine didn't! They seem to become difficult to hand start (lack of compression) then you can use an electric starter and they will run a little longer and after that they won't start at all.
The electroless nickel plating is very thin and soft and simply doesn't last like a true ABC. My replacement liners were out of round too (one was two thou and the other 3 thou out of round) that was measured with a proper bore gauge too. It didn't seem to give a problem after fitting, but it didn't make me enthusiastic over OS supposed good machining.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »
Guys before you trash OS,, remember this is an entry level engine,, its like what 75 or 80 bucks,, what do you really expect,, it works,, works well, and when it wears out ( after 400 or 500 flights,, ) buy a replacement and move on,, OR go buy a PA for 400 or 500 and never worry about anything,, except stuffing it in the pavement,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:35:13 PM »
Guys before you trash OS,, remember this is an entry level engine,, its like what 75 or 80 bucks,, what do you really expect,, it works,, works well, and when it wears out ( after 400 or 500 flights,, ) buy a replacement and move on,, OR go buy a PA for 400 or 500 and never worry about anything,, except stuffing it in the pavement,,

Good advice given that many people never get 500 flights in their entire career of sport flying. I checked, and a 46LA is $84. Say a RO_Jett 61 is $400, that means the break-even point is about 2000 flights.

If you don't like that one, to get 400 flights on an $84 LA would cost you $234 in fuel, optimistically. So the hardware costs are bordering on negligible fraction of the total.

Brett

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »
I wasn't complaining about the short p&L life on the LA, I totally understand.  I was just curious if the lifespan issues we saw were similiar to others experience.  In defense of the LA, I smashed more of them into the ground by far than I ever wore out.  At 70 something bucks, it was a cost effective way to fly.
Steve

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »
Yes I understand that the OS LA 46 is a cheap entry level engine that doesn't last all that long. However there are cheap entry level engines like the TT GP 42 that has a GOOD ABN P/L that will outlast the LA46 by a good margin. So if TT can do it at the price, I find it odd that OS can't!
I have worn out two LA46s and a third is on its way out. My TT GP42s are as good as ever and they have far more time on them than the LA 46s that have worn out. A fluke? I don't think so.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:35 PM »
Back in the late 70's and early 80's  I would have loved to have a motor as inexpensive as the LA 46 that would last for 300 flights.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »
LA46 P/L do not seem to last very long. 400 flights seems about the average before they get worn. I expect that a lot of people will say they last longer than that, but mine didn't! They seem to become difficult to hand start (lack of compression) then you can use an electric starter and they will run a little longer and after that they won't start at all.
The electroless nickel plating is very thin and soft and simply doesn't last like a true ABC. My replacement liners were out of round too (one was two thou and the other 3 thou out of round) that was measured with a proper bore gauge too. It didn't seem to give a problem after fitting, but it didn't make me enthusiastic over OS supposed good machining.

Andrew.

When I flew CL Speed, I eventually came to the conclusion that Super Tigre replacement parts were rejects, and not worth bothering with. Andrew's experiences with OS replacement parts indicates the same. I got word that EVO parts don't interchange from one to another.  I think the right path for most of us is to buy a new engine when one wears out, or is pounded into the asphalt.  That's my observation from 55+ years of running glow engines.  %^@ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
When I flew CL Speed, I eventually came to the conclusion that Super Tigre replacement parts were rejects, and not worth bothering with. Andrew's experiences with OS replacement parts indicates the same. I got word that EVO parts don't interchange from one to another.  I think the right path for most of us is to buy a new engine when one wears out, or is pounded into the asphalt.  That's my observation from 55+ years of running glow engines.  %^@ Steve

Steve,
I can't say that the statement on Evolution parts is quite true at least in my opinion. I have ordered parts to fix a few engines for friends and had no problems with fit or performance after repairs. However I did get a P/l set that looked like it had been dropped and I had to knock the piston from the liner. Horizon replaced it immediately at their cost and all was well with the world. I have always found that Horizon goes to whatever lengths to make sure that their customers are treated well.

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here