News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I sure like my 4 strokes  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
I sure like my 4 strokes
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »
Wanted to fly today, first time since last September. Grabbed the Somethin'Xtra which was last flown two years ago at our September contest because it was too windy to risk my Latency, it was also about 20 deg cooler than it is today. Saito 62 that has been sitting for almost two years, I put it on the circle, fueled it up, started and flew it. Didn't touch the needle or the choke screw and it preformed great, just like it did two Septembers ago when I last flew it. Flew two patterns to shake the rust off and now ready to start practicing with the Latency for the contest circuit this year.

Talk about fuel-and-fly, don't know how it could be any better.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: I sure like my 4 strokes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
I bet your Saito liked the cool air!
Gotta get out there, been so busy with car & house work.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:17:35 AM »
I couldn't agree with Bob more.  Having started using Saito 4 stroke at the end of 2012.  Consistency and lack of fussiness has been their hallmark,  as far as I am concerned.  Once dialled in with a Reeves carb mod Saitos just seem to stay that way.  At this stage I have re-engined my 60 sized stunters with Saitos and I am enjoying the ease of use and of course the power: no sagging in manoeuvres with Saitos!!  I also find them much less critical in needle setting than my 2 strokes were,  in our cool damp climate at any rate.  It doesn't matter if they are left a week or a month, in my experience just take them out fuel, start and fly with confidence.  (I haven't been using them long enough to leave them lying up for longer.

One of my flying friends commented -  'I've lost track of which of your 4 strokes is which but they all have one thing in common:  they run perfectly,  even if some took a little longer to set up than others'  He has just put a 4 stroke in his Legacy and is delighted with it!  Another benefit is the lack of castor 'goo' over the airframe at the end of each flight - a light wipe with a cloth is all that's needed!

Heaven is ................ flying stunters with (Saito)  4 strokes

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
I bet your Saito liked the cool air!
Gotta get out there, been so busy with car & house work.

Funny thing is I really don't see much difference between 95 and 70 deg days. On cool days they burn a little more fuel but not enough difference to cost an over or under run. Some of the fuel difference could be contributed to me not adjusting anything for the conditions but I really haven't detected a significant performance difference. They just seem to be able to claw through whatever the conditions are.

Ya, you need to come out more often....

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:43:05 PM »
Saitos could not have been the success they have been in the RC sport circles, if they weren't reliable and forgiving. Remember, these are RC sport motors designed for the average Sunday flier with somewhat limited skills. In short, "average joes" who just want to fly.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »
Bob,
You are not kidding. I just mounted my Saito 40 (BR mods) to a Noblarf. Added a 4oz clunk tank. I had not run this motor for over a year (maybe 2).

Choked it by putting my finger over the exhaust and turning the motor over 5 times. Slipped on the igniter and literally one flip of a chicken stick and BWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Finally have a little time to fly.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here