News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:31:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The RSM Electric P51-15D Mustang  (Read 3836 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
The RSM Electric P51-15D Mustang
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
So I finished the RSM Electric Take Apart Ringmaster and thought, what the heck could i build between now and April 17 when I go in for my surgery.  I decided to just go ahead and do another electric since I enjoyed the Ringmaster so much so I chose the RSM P51-15D Electric Mustang Kit and since I did not have .15 size electric power system I ponied up the money for one of those (which is really reasonable) so I bought the whole Kit and Kaboodle.

I could not believe how simple this kit is to build and how well thought out is is as far as design.  I built the wing on my glass top bench with NO jig and while I was letting ti dry before I fitted it for the bell crank, I decided to start on the fuselage, flaps and tail feathers.

I am posting some pictures and I want you to look at the fuselage and how easy it is to build.  Take the core and glue the two balsa sides on.. DONE...DONE... add the canopy.  Then I was shocked to find out that the wing flaps, stab , elevators and vertical fin are all one piece laser cutouts and all I have to do is cut the ribs and glue them in.

Wingspan is 36"
Wing Area is 291 Sq In
Length is 25 3/4"

Thats it. Here are the pictures.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:37:30 PM by Mike Griffin »

Mike Griffin

Re: The RSM Electric P51-15D Mustang
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
The rest of the pictures

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
The shape of the fuselage

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »
I suppose you wanted them to have it done for lyou really? LL~ LL~   As I have said before, "Laser cutting is making us lazy".  Anyway I have thought of that kit also.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
Doc you are exactly right.  Not a whole lot to do here but it would make a great little electric plane for someone who wanted to get into electrics and not have to spend a fortune.   It has flaps and does fly really well for a .15-.20 size plane.  I think it would be great as a first plane to learn to do some stunts.  I think the kit is only $89.00 and if you crashed it you wouldnt lose the farm.  y1 y1

As I think about this post I guess I really should have posted this in the electric section...oh well if the moderators want to move it is ok with me.. I just forget sometimes... Old Timers disease I guess.

Mike

Offline Mark Mitchell

• New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
Darn shame that stylish fuse core has to be covered up with balsa sheets.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »
this plane can be MUCH more than a stunt trainer. i flew Andy B's to a 509 point pattern with no appearance points. judges were Dave Fitzgerald and Bob Whitely,so you know they weren't giving points away.  ;D

I'm building one of my own.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Mike Griffin

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »
this plane can be MUCH more than a stunt trainer. i flew Andy B's to a 509 point pattern with no appearance points. judges were Dave Fitzgerald and Bob Whitely,so you know they weren't giving points away.  ;D

I'm building one of my own.

WOW Larry that is great.  I just really started building mine and was really surprised to see how well thought out the kit was and how quickly it goes together.  I think I am going to build the nitro version too.  Do you think an OS .20 would be OK on it Larry.  I have a couple that I have never put on anything and would  like to use them.   

Mike

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
it will gain a lot of weight with a .20. The engine is heavier, the required tank is bigger, then you will need tailweight to compensate. I have flown the gas version with a .15 and it is just fine that way.

DesignMan

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »
Ron Burn is the man who designed this little gem of a model. He and his group, "The Slow Flyers", had a deal worked out with the Univeristy of California where they ran a two week seminar each summer for a group of 10 & 11 year olds.

This group of kids were taught the basics of flight and then built a model themselves and flew it. The P51-15 was that model.

I got involved with it when Ron asked me to hand cut the kits for them one year. After doing that I happened to mention to Ron how much I liked the model and he graciously allowed me to add it to our kit line. I have built one of these and flew it for a number of years with a LA .15 (the model on the web site is that kit). When ECL became viable I decided to modify the model to accept electric power. That was a great decision as the electric version has become a really great model. It only needs one minor modification.

Remember that this model was designed to be built by 10 & 11 year old kids. As a result the wing construction is very very simple. So simple in fact that an experienced builder can not seem to get the wing built straight and level (ask Larry and Mike about this). For this reason I will be modifying the wing construction so that MIT graduates and experienced builders from the New Orleans area can build the wing straight.(LOL)

Regards
Eric Rule

Mike Griffin

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Ron Burn is the man who designed this little gem of a model. He and his group, "The Slow Flyers", had a deal worked out with the Univeristy of California where they ran a two week seminar each summer for a group of 10 & 11 year olds.

This group of kids were taught the basics of flight and then built a model themselves and flew it. The P51-15 was that model.

I got involved with it when Ron asked me to hand cut the kits for them one year. After doing that I happened to mention to Ron how much I liked the model and he graciously allowed me to add it to our kit line. I have built one of these and flew it for a number of years with a LA .15 (the model on the web site is that kit). When ECL became viable I decided to modify the model to accept electric power. That was a great decision as the electric version has become a really great model. It only needs one minor modification.

Remember that this model was designed to be built by 10 & 11 year old kids. As a result the wing construction is very very simple. So simple in fact that an experienced builder can not seem to get the wing built straight and level (ask Larry and Mike about this). For this reason I will be modifying the wing construction so that MIT graduates and experienced builders from the New Orleans area can build the wing straight.(LOL)

Regards
Eric Rule

HEY!!!  WAIT A MINUTE!!!  I represent that remark.   ~^ ~^ ~^.  Larry, you live closer to him than I do.   >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:46:07 PM »
Eric who?

DesignMan

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
Glad I found these pictures. They will really help. Building this currently.
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Mike Griffin

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »
Shug it is a great little plane and a blast to fly.   You will really enjoy it.

Mike

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 07:21:44 PM »
Shug it is a great little plane and a blast to fly.   You will really enjoy it.

Mike
I'm very excited to get this plane done and fly. Big fan of P-51s.
Building this to fly at a local ballfield in the mornings for more practice time. Quiet and smallish .
Are there any videos of one flying that you know of?
Shug
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Mike Griffin

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 08:41:37 PM »
I'm not aware of any Shug.  I will ask Eric next time I talk to him.

Mike

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:47 PM »
*** SIGH ***

I was done ordering kits.  Really I was.  But now, I guess I have to order the electric combo.  A three months early birthday present to me.  But, it'll have to be made into an B model for me.  I've always preferred the early models myself.

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
Don't trust my memory, but I thought Andy Borgogna flew one in the blimp hanger with Larry Renger.  Don't think there was a video.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
Don't trust my memory, but I thought Andy Borgogna flew one in the blimp hanger with Larry Renger.  Don't think there was a video.
I'd love to see that. Getting to some gluing up the wing in the early AM........
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »
We did indeed flythe P-51 in the Tustin blimp hanger. Also the Baby Pathfinder and ET-1.  ;D

DesignMan

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:39:21 AM »
Many years ago a piper pawnee flew through one of those hangars. He's gone now but most of what he taught me about airplanes comes back when I need it.
thanks dad

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:33 AM »

Regards
Eric Rule

HA! the problem with getting the kits the Knights started was we failed to study the plans because we were told "10 & 11 year old kids built them" that was only the first problem... then I moved to Montana for 4 years (despite repeated attempts to bribe Antone with a new fedora, they sat untouched until I returned.) I got one "mostly" finished... I think some of the Thursday Night Man Cave - Moderation Through Excess attendee's have made some progress recently. So for about the last 6+ years we are getting them done, pretty much right on schedule. No thanks to Bill Byles I might add. Unless you consider continuing harassment as helping. But at least I got the wing straight (but my DANG HINGES!!) But in all seriousness, great plane for the .15 size that is out there nowa days. Everyone should have one on their building bench. (Or 3)

Mike Griffin

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »
I think I am going to build another on when I get time.  That should be in about 2025 if I am still alive.

Mike

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 11:45:04 AM »
Finally got started on mine. Pieced it together today just to get a feel on size.
As I am no expert modler...I am having to head-scratch and read and re-read a lot of instructions. But I am learning things.
This is going to be fun to fly I can tell. Now to think up a scheme. Thinking hot pink and silver and black. Not sure why...but that keeps going in my head.
Shug

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:39:16 AM by Shug Emery »
Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Mike Griffin

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
Shug that looks real good.  You are going to love this little plane.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here