News:

• April 24, 2024, 06:45:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KBS Diamond Clear Coat  (Read 10035 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
KBS Diamond Clear Coat
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:22:34 AM »
I finally got around to using the Diamond Clear Coat I had ordered from KBS.  I used it on my new Electric Take Apart Ringmaster.  Now before anybody asks why I clear coated an electric powered plane, I will tell you.  I wanted to experiment with it as see how it went on.

This is a one part clear coat and you just open the can and brush it on or spray it.  I used a foam brush since I do not own a compressor and brushed it on right out of the can without thinning it.  The directions said it did not need to be thinned if brushed and if you sprayed only to thin it 15%.  WRONG on both counts.  If you brush it on you need to thin it at least with 40% thinner...I used 50/50 and to spray I would say probably even thinner.  Appied right out of the can it is to thick.  After I thinned it to about 60/40 it spread beautifully with a foam brush and give a dazzling bright finish.  According to the manufacturer it is impervious to everything.   They say to use their thinner but I checked with their tech dept and they said Xylene worked great as a thinner and that is what I used and he was right...makes a great thinner.

I will post some pictures of the plane one the clear coat is dry.. It dries relatively fast too... you can handle it without leaving a fingerprint in about 4 hours.

Just thought I would let you know...I like the product and if you do not have spray equipment it is really good.

Mike

Offline Pat

• Commander
Re: KBS Diamond Clear Coat
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »
Mike,

Where do you get it? Online or is there a place (store) you get it from?

Pat

Mike Griffin

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »
Pat I bought mine online but you may be able to find it in stores.  Just Google KBS Diamond Clear Coat and it will take you to their website where you can order it or they might have a list of dealers too.

MIke

Offline Pat

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Mike,

I suppose I could have done that up front. I was just being lazy.. ;D Thanks!

Pat

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:00:08 PM »
Did you weight the plane before and after so we know how much weight was added?  Please say yes!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Mike Griffin

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
Did you weight the plane before and after so we know how much weight was added?  Please say yes!

I am sorry Crist I didn't because I did not build the plane to compete with it is just a fun electric for me.  But ... tell you what.  I have some test frames that are covered and can do a weight test before and after on those if that will help.   I just did not think about it....

Mike

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
I am sorry Crist I didn't because I did not build the plane to compete with it is just a fun electric for me.  But ... tell you what.  I have some test frames that are covered and can do a weight test before and after on those if that will help.   I just did not think about it....

Mike

That would be awesome because if the stuff adds 3 ounces of weight per coat, even sprayed on, it's a deal killer.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:23:19 AM »
Sorry to bring up an old topic but wondering if anyone has actually done any weight measurement with this stuff yet. As said, if one coat adds 3 ounces I'm not interested.

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:13 AM »
Hi Bob, I did a Chizler with it recently using a foam brush, and it added 1.5 oz.  I imagine you could go fairly light on the paint, since you're relying on the KBS for all the gloss effect, and the overall increase would be even less.

Steve

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »
From what I've seen, the stuff can't add any more weight than two part automotive clear.  I usually go through 3 or more ounces when I spray the 2 part.   First time I used 2 part I only mixed 1 1/2 ounces and had 1/4 ounce left over by brushing it on. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »
it will NOT add 3 oz, my Gladiator, the 720 sq in version, has one foam brushed coat and one sprayed coat totally 2 oz. Had I only sprayed I think is would have been 1 or just a tad over 1 oz. Mike is right, thinning much more that the instructions say is necessary. the only caution I put out there is when you spray, be extremely careful, even though this stuff kicks pretty fast, (the higher the humidity the faster) it also flows readily until the cure starts and it will run and sag.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
Anyone that uses this product can answer these questions.

Is it a two part product requiring a hardener?

Do you add plasticizer for open bay areas?

Can you sand the orange peel away and buff back a gloss easily?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:33:16 AM »
Charles, one part, no plasticizer, it won't orange peel unless the humidity is very high.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 06:43:04 AM »
Charles,
I have some that I'll bring to the field on Saturday. I used it as a test on my Yak Yak Bipe on the nose and over the MonoKote trim. I brushed it on and it is holding up great. It leveled just like Mike said. For the film I just wiped down the film with cleaner and again brushed it on. So far no lifting off the film.

One thing that the manufacture stated in the instructions was not to pour any material back into the original can after it is poured out.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
I used some on a CL scale project and noted that it's worth getting several new containers to put some in. I opened the can to test it and then sealed it up again and could barely get the top off again because lid was almost glued tight to the can.

The stuff is great and it worked just like the reviews said. However I didn't weigh the plane before and after so I don't know how much weight it added. Next project I will make sure I do the weight test.

To thin the stuff did you use normal paint thinner?

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
From the 1st message above on thinning.....

"According to the manufacturer it is impervious to everything.   They say to use their thinner but I checked with their tech dept and they said Xylene worked great as a thinner and that is what I used and he was right...makes a great thinner."

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
I don't want to steal the Thread, but what about the two part aerosol can auto clear sold by Eastwood?

Anyone ever use that? 17.95.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here