News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OS 52 Surpass Torque curve data  (Read 7422 times)

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
OS 52 Surpass Torque curve data
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Does anyone by any chance know where I would get the RPM/Torque curve data for an OS  52 Surpass.  I have just got one brand  new at a very low price and it fits in my SV 11 in place of my Enya 61 (pretty much a drop in fit in the bearers) and I want to try it.  I have run it with the throttle wired open in the model and it has no problem achieving the same RPM (circa 8100) on a 13X 7 APC as my Saito 56 with a Bob Reeves carb mod.  I would just like to know where this RPM is on the OS 52's torque curve.

Thanks

Ivan

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: OS 52 Surpass Torque curve data
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:43:44 AM »
Been watching your thread hoping someone that knows OS will answer but looks like the info you are asking for isn't readily available. I have not done anything with OS engines and can't help at all. Only thought I have is to check the model magazine archives to see if anyone has done a review that included the torque curves.

I do have them for the Saito 56/62/72 thanks to a post on this or Leonard's some time ago but can't help on the OS.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »
I think this is on the old OS 40, but it might give you some idea for yours.   http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html
Jim Kraft

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:46:14 AM »
Thanks for that.  Figures for the 65 might be a little closer to what I would expect from the 52.  Waiting for most unseasonal weather to clear here to try it the way I have it set up.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
See if you can contact Bob Dixon. He did extensive work with the OS 52.

Also, a fellow from South America, an American named Thomas Case, had one on a Shark 45 at the Brodak Fly-In. It was the best running Surpass I've ever heard.

For best results with the Surpass engines, you MUST use an outside intake air inlet.

Bob Z.

Offline Ivan Bolton

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »
Well the weather finally cleared and I have tried the 52 Surpass SV 11 combination as I have it set up several times now.  Around 8200 to 8300 on an APC 13 X 7 with the R/C carb wired so that I can adjust the RPM. Fuel is 20% Coolpower pattern fuel.  The model weighs just on 60 ozs ready to fly.

Basically it goes really well indeed and seems to deliver much the same power wise as my Saito 56 in a 60 oz Shark 45 with a Reeves carb mod on it which is set up for the same prop and RPM.  There is no sagging in verticals and overheads and it does the pattern easily on just 4 oz of fuel with laps to spare.  I have had totally consistent runs with it so far as it is.  My experienced flying partner's, on trying the model,  comment was :  'I'd leave that alone!!'  So I'm going to continue as I am for the moment certainly.

Finally, the really nice thing about this motor is that it is pretty well a drop in fit for the Enya 61 CX which it replaced.  Just had to add a 2mm spacer to clear the nosering, no messing with re-drilling bearers etc.

Thanks everyone for all the help and comments

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here