News:

• April 19, 2024, 05:29:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repairing a rusty 72  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Repairing a rusty 72
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
Acquired a Saito 72 Golden Knight some time ago in a trade. I knew it had bad bearings when I made the deal and even though I really had no interest in owning a 72 I couldn't pass up what was basically a free Saito 72 GK.  While in the shop working on modifying a carb I pulled it apart to see what I had. As I expected the bearings and crank were coated with rust. Other than that it looked to be in fairly good condition. No rust on the rockers and valves were in good shape.

I managed to get the bearings out and started thinking about how to clean up the crank. I started looking around the shop and ran across bottle of CLR stashed under the bathroom cabinet. Label says Calcium, Lime Rust remover so thought what the heck. Found a tall jar, dumped in the crank and filled it with straight CLR. Went about my business for about 4 hours, dumped the CLR and started washing the crank in the sink. All of what was rust had turned black and was fairly easy to wash off. After drying I went over it with steel wool and oil to clean off what was left of the black coating. The photo is the result, the line on the front bearing surface is a stain from the level of CLR I had in the jar and that is oil in the gears. I think it turned out well considering the amount of rust that was on it. Didn't get a before photo but the photo of the bearings will give you an idea of what I was dealing with.

The plan is to put it back together with new bearings, a reverse cam and my modified carb. After that I have no idea what I'll do with it, have no real desire to build anything that would need a 72 but you never know..

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Repairing a rusty 72
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
Holy moly, did the guy have a flood or something?  Nice job on the crank, those bearings may need a tad of cleaning then throw them out! LOL  I would never build anything that would need an engine that big myself, but lots of guys do.  Maybe some more horse trading is in your future! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Repairing a rusty 72
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:29 AM »
Well heck, Horizon back ordered the front bearing, not really a big deal as I'm in no real hurry.

Not sure what the story on the engine is other than it belonged to an RCer. I suspect he ran off-the-shelf RC fuel without using after-run oil. Another reason I've became a believer in Power Master fuels. I have neglected after-run oil more than once and left the engines sit for over a year and so far never had a rust problem like I have seen from running that green stuff we all see on the shelves at hobby shops.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here