News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Clown Electric ?  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Kevin M. Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Super Clown Electric ?
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:30 AM »
I'm interested in revisiting CL Stunt.  My last foray into CL was in the 70's (flew various profile stunters that I built from kits and finished in silkspan and  dope) and although buying a fox 35 and running a gallon a fuel through it to break it in sounds nostalgic :-), I'm really interested in going electric.     

Any opinions on the Super Clown Electric ?  I've saw it on the Brodak sight, watched a few youtube videos and I'm pretty impressed.  Plus if I buy the ARF version, I can save my time to build something cool after I re-learn how to fly !

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Clown Electric ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:26 AM »
THe E-Super Clown is a good package and a terrific way to get started in Electric Control line.  The airplane is actually a OTS era design by Matt Kania who also designed the Ringmaster.  It is a good sport flyer that will of course do the complete pattern, but really at its best as a grab-and -go sport flyer.  I developed the current electric power system for the Super Clown, so I will describe them:

The motor is a 10 pole outrunner, nominally a 2812 size with KV=1500.  It is front mounted to the reinforced nose ring.

The ESC is a standard RC type, 35A, made by Arrowind who is a wholesaier to many of the kit and ARF companies.  It has a soft start-up a prop brake and a automatic cut-off if the battery voltage reaches a minimum level - to protect the pacak aganst over-discharge.

The Timer is a FM-9c built by Will Hubin who is the premeinent Timer buider worldwide.  The timer has flight time adjustable from 1:45 to 6:00 minutes.  The throttle adjusts speed over a fairly wide range.  On the Super CLown the resulting airspeed can be adjusted for lap times randing from about 4.7 sec per lap to 6.5 seconds per lap. 

The LiPo pack is a 3Sx3200 in a thin format that sides into a pocket built into the wing.  Right now dak is running a 2 for 1 sale on the packs, so you can get a few extras

The charger/balancer is designed to charge at a maximum 2A rate it is a very simple unit that also has a LED readout showing the charging stautus including turning on green lights confirming full charge of the battery without overcharging.

THe power system is equivalent to a strong Fox 35, and I have used it in a couple of "Classic" sized stunters (Oriental & Smoothie) as well as in a Vector 40.

I suggest also that you visit the Electric Forum on this site as there are a lot of people and discussions about E-CL going on there.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Kevin M. Smith

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
Thanks for the great info! I need a plane to get back into flying again and this seems like a low cost investment in build time and I've got a nice lipo charger already. I really would like a classic stunt plane like an ares converted to electric, but not for the first...

Offline Kevin M. Smith

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
The super clown arrived on Friday. I chose the grey version, figuring that everyone else buys red or blue. Was a little disappointed that the covering was not properly applied/shrunk to the fuse, but nothing that a quick iron won't handle. Does anyone know if they use a low temp film (like solarfilm) or higher temp like monokote ? I have not ordered the e system yet, but since I am a beginner, my plan is to just go a la carte off the Brodak recommendations (which I assumes matches Dennis' list above?).  If anyone has any line length recommendations as well. If its like a fox 35, I'm assuming 60' is the correct number ?. I used to use "pylon brand" but my guess is they are no longer in business. Only thing  is that this is a smaller ship than other planes I had on 60 ft lines (banshee, dolphin etc. were all around 48 span if I recall), so maybe 58 ft lines better ? 

Any other recommendations before I start ?  Also have an oriental which I bought locally but that one will be a conversion and next plane after is one..

Offline Jerry Olson

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »
I don't know about the covering material but I hope my line length recommendation is helpful.  Since I am not powering my Super Clown with electric I might not be giving you relevant info.  Mine is powered with an OS .25FP and I fly it on 58' lines, it flies well on the 58 footers to the point that I haven't been temped to try 60' lines.  Hope this helps.
Jerry Olson
Clackamas, Oregon

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
Dennis nailed the power system in the Super Clown one of the members in our club had his out for the GSCB New Years Fun Fly and was having a lot of fun with it , as far as I know it is box stock from Brodak the only problem he seems to have had is the flap hinges were pulling out of the trailing edge, he was going to drill through them and ca some kabob skewers to lock them in , I am not sure if he was going to do the elevator hinges as well. T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
Tell him to do the elevator hinges also while he is at it.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
Mike Palko flew the prototype to second in OT at Brodak. I think. I'm not sure if the power system was the same.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:41:15 PM »
My son picked up one on the cheap and all NIB.  It was super simple to set up and we have tested the motor installation.  So far we have ot flown it but I feel it should be a fine working system.  We have an identical Super Clown with a IC in it so we can do a comparison.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Justin Benham

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
I just finished my Super Clown ARF electric and I was very pleased with how it all went together. As soon as the weather here in New England will allow, I'm going to get dizzy again. This is my first electric and my first flapped plane. After 30 plus years I'm ready to get it back together again!
AMA 491035

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
The Clown with flaps flies well.   If the electric setup is close to correct it will be a joy to fly.
Joe Daly

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
Hey Kevin, the SC was my reintroduction to CL "bigger planes" five years ago. it is an easy to fly plane plus it is fun. I must have crashed mine fifteen times before officially retireing it.
If you don't want to spend too much on fuel for the breakin, get yourself an os la.25. A very easy to run engine that is ready to fly after a few tanks...
Good luck and have fun. H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
Jerry,

Nice, I like it!
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Don Coe

• 2019 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Same position here.  Coming back after 50+ years.  Built a Ringmaster w/Fox 35 and bought and ARF electric Super Clown.  Eagerly awaiting spring to try them and compare.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here