News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 30 Carburator  (Read 2662 times)

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saito 30 Carburator
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:42:59 PM »
I recently bent the throttle and spogot assembly on my Saito 30.
I don't have any part numbers for Horizon.

It was on my new scratch-built Control-Line RC "Spike" airplane.

The plane was made from CL airplane parts:

o Cosmic Wind wing
o Smoothie stab
o Strathmoor stab and turtle deck.
o Snoopy from Sunday comics.

Rex

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:30:38 AM by REX1945 »

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito 30 Carburator
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
Not sure what you are asking? It takes a little searching and perseverance but it is possible to find the parts on Horizon's web site.

I probably have the parts you are wanting left over from a couple intakes I modified but not sure what it is you need. Post a picture of what is bent.

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for thew quick reply.

I guess you've got quite a collection of discarded Saito inlet parts by now.

I call the machined brass fuel inlet housing that takes the needle valve
the spigot.  Maybe it has a better prober name. It;s sort of a half spray bar.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »
That's what is commonly referred to as the needle valve assembly and the one part that I can't help you with. It and the housing are reused when I modify a carb. Been a while but I'm going to guess what you have is an early version of the Saito carb. Without walking out to the shop and looking I'm thinking the later ones are completely different. If you desire to stay with the RC carb, you may end up having to buy a complete carb, that needle assy may be hard to come by.

UHP used an OS needle assy in the UHP 30 manifold that was held in like the one you have but don't know the part number or if it will fit. UHP may still have the 30 intake available?

Can't be allot of help, maybe spending some time on the Horizon site will uncover the parts you need. Was really trying to help without soliciting an intake mod but he only option I can offer is to convert your intake using the threaded OS needle assy I use when converting a CL 40. I charge $40.00 or if you have access to a lathe I will tell you how to do it yourself.

PS: Just made a quick trip over to Horizon's web site, looks like they don't have anything left for the 30, only thing I could find was the muffler and it was out of stock

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
Bob,

You may have not noticed that the airplane in the first post was
referred to as a (my grandson's description) Remote Radio Control airplane
as opposed to Remote line-controlled airplane like we fly. I think Jimmy Walker
called cl "Remote Control".  As are result, this engine it needs a trottle control.

What is "UHP" ? An engine brand or a model supply company ?

I'm thinking I could make the NVA by adding a flange to a super tiger (brass)
NVA and soft soldering it together. I have soft soldered my crank case breather
capillary tube and it never gets hot enough to melt the solder. I think the solder
melts at 400 F. The flange has to have (of course) a fuel inlet fitting and be
drilled into the suoer tiger spray bar after solder. I can probably use the barbs I
usually have from cuting them of the breather and muffler fittings, since I
use uniflow.

If this NVA were used on larger engines in the early days, it's no wonder they
had fuel inlet flow problems. I prefer the stright inlet venturi on CL because I prime
the engine through the intake manifold by putting the prop in a position to open the
inlet valve. I actually see no problem with an RC carb held in a fixed position; but it could
develop air leaks as the engine vibrates through about 4 or 5  gal of fuel.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 06:16:55 AM »
Well this is a CONTROL LINE forum, shame on me for assuming you were running the engine in a CL airplane. I can't help you..

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
 I call the machined brass fuel inlet housing that takes the needle valve
the spigot.  Maybe it has a better prober name. It;s sort of a half spray bar.

Hi Rex,

Looks like they have one at Horizon Hobby for $6.75.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?searchKeyword=SAI30S84&searchType=productgrid

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
Hi Rex,

Looks like they have one at Horizon Hobby for $6.75.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?searchKeyword=SAI30S84&searchType=productgrid

You did better than I did, my search for 30 parts only came up with the muffler.. Bravo....

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »
You did better than I did, my search for 30 parts only came up with the muffler.. Bravo....

Hi Bob,

I sort of cheated.. as I had the part number.  I just typed it in and it showed up. But the part I was actually looking for (.56 spray bar)  showed "out of stock".  HB~>

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 06:04:20 AM »
Hi Bob,

I sort of cheated.. as I had the part number.  I just typed it in and it showed up. But the part I was actually looking for (.56 spray bar)  showed "out of stock".  HB~>

Wished I could help but I use the spray bar (spigot) when I modify the carb. I have a spare carb but use it when I break in a new engine to get past the low speed initial run. May be a while before I need it again, if you are desperate I'll pull the spray bar and send it to you. When Horizon restocks you can just replace it.

Bob

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »
Thank you Joe :

You made my day. Earlier today I got the following message from Horizon support :

"Hello Rex,
         Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.
         *Please do not respond to this email* This email address is not monitored. Please use our inquiry form for any further correspondence.

We do not have parts for this engine.

To reply to this e-mail or to place another Horizon Hobby Support Inquiry, please visit our inquiry form.
          If you are referencing a past request, please include the following ticket number when prompted: 53,808

They don't even know that they have the part, let alone that they're selling it for a good price.
Too bad Mr Bob thinks RC represents is the evil empire. Actually my RC is more like a CL plane than
some control line planes because I built it myself and used the ancient control line construction
techniques : balsa moulding the turtle deck, silk wing covering, tissue and masked graphics and
Sigment glue. All hinges are fabric fully sealed elevator and rudder joints. My vertical fin and rudder
assembly weighs 1.2 oz, including the tail wheel.  This assembly survived crashing at 65 MPH straight
into the ground because of radio failure. That's what broke the engine in the first place.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here