News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Mig-3, Reconnaissance Aircraft and Warbird!"  (Read 254208 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: "Mig-3, Reconnaissance Aircraft and Warbird!"
« Reply #1150 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Drew the wheel well covers in my not a CAD program. Used a scale photo I downloaded on line of a Mig 3.

Here's the photo. Thing is, when I originally scaled the drawing, it was for 2.5" wheels.

I stepped up to 2.75" wheels and changes were made with the drawings. Before in black after in red.

Put a pen in my cutter and presto remco! There's my drawing. This cutter comes with special pens for the application of drawing.

I used 1/32" ply with a 1/32" balsa layer only on the edge.

If you make yours differently, let me know.

Bad photo, but here's my efforts. Took about a half hour to make both.

Figure out how I'll attach them next?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:28:29 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1151 on: March 30, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »
I'm up to speed now, anticipating the next chapter! H^^
John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1152 on: March 30, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
John,

Glad to see everything is fine.

Let's see what you come up with next?  H^^
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1153 on: March 30, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
John,

Glad to see everything is fine.

Let's see what you come up with next?  H^^
Just finished 2 R/C models for my R/C buddy. He keeps me supplied and I return the favor by keeping him in the air! ;D

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1154 on: March 31, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »
Took four coats of clear dope to fill the weave complete without pin holes.

I feel like continuing on the Mig-3 but I should probably put it aside and get back to work on my stunt ship.

Decisions.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:09:13 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1155 on: March 31, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »

Mounting the tank is actually a non issue, I have a few options there.

One option would be to secure two vertical strips of light ply top to bottom with blind nuts. Then a couple of simple straps for the tank. 90 degree flange with holes on the end of each strap, or wire with a loop. Simple.

I've already had the stab and elevator in place. The pushrod moves freely. However, there is room for trimming.

I'm using an adjustable horn from Tom Morris.

Same application as the P-40 I made from that Super Ringmaster.

Not the best photo of the P-40, but the pushrod moves freely.

Thanks again for the reply.

PS. Here's the wire gear and wheel well covers.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:11:45 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1156 on: April 01, 2015, 09:54:46 AM »
I did a quick sanding of 360 on all the doped areas on the wings including the open bays, then finished in 600 near the rib edges.

Four coats of dope isn't really a large build up.

Just wanted to give the dust coat of primer something to stick to.

Hard shinny unsanded dope scares me.  n~

Time to consider attaching the canopy. I've done many over the years, but every time I do one, I feel like it's the first. Probably because of the variety in my model choice. Last canopy I did was on the P-40 I made from a Super Ringmaster.

I've been reviewing Mig-3 schemes. There's so many! I have decided, because Marcus used yellow, I gotta have yellow someplace.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:14:45 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1157 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »
Made some progress with the canopy. Actually a second. The first one was used for sculpting the cockpit opening.

Currently taped so I wouldn't scratch up other areas while sanding the very bottom.

Might get it in place tomorrow.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:15:47 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1158 on: April 02, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
Keith,

I think it's just you and me in here. No one else cares.  LL~

Probably won't need holes depending on the length of the fastener. 4-40 "blind nuts."

There was a movie, "Holes."

I've had the stab and elevator in place with the pushrod attached both at the lowest and longest positions on the horn. It's close but the rod doesn't touch. Good observation.

I attached the canopy, Done! I'll decide if I'll us the frame. It won't be white, that's the color of the material.

BTW. I made a balsa mockup of the tank and Brodak made the metal one. I have the tank on my Pathfinder and have had no running issues.

Believe me, and to quote a line from a movie, wish I knew wich movie,"It's just you and me kid."  LL~

Thanks for the reply and interest Keith.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:16:52 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1159 on: April 02, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »
Plugged in both of the flaps today. Perminately!  They were made, silked and primed eons ago.

Fit like a glove. Epoxied in place with 5 minute epoxy, so I did a test fit or two before installing, just to be sure. One toothpick on the end hinge.

The gap is tight. Just enough to get 320 paper in the opening. Don't want the paint to bridge during painting.

Cut the weight box cover from .125 ply.

I'm rethinking this stab and elevaror because of their weight. Looking into that.

Edited,

I thought I would add a bit of information on painting the control surfaces.

Just because I elected to attach my control surfaces "before" painting them doesn't mean this is the way "everyone" does it. Hardly.

If you do a search in the Forum for other Threads on this subject, you will see that painting these parts separately is probably more "preferred" with some modelers. Many modelers prefer to paint their parts first then assemble them after paint. Not a bad thing actually and there are benefits to this.

This Mig-3 is hardly a competitive model and obviously, I have elected, for one or more reasons or another, not to do the paint first on these parts.

You can decide for yourself.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:19:44 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1160 on: April 04, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »
Changed the look of the rudder. It now resembles that of the Mig-3.

Ne new and the old.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:22:13 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1161 on: April 06, 2015, 08:46:53 AM »
It's tank time. The "Tank Buster," keep that in mind.  ;D

Pulled this tank out of my Pathfinder, it was on loan. This tank was custom designed for the Mig-3.

I made a balsa wood mock-up and sent it to Brodak. They made a perfect copy. And you pay!  HB~>

Reviewing old Mig-3 Build photos will help in the installation. I have a few options.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:24:02 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1162 on: April 06, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
15 or 20 minutes and the tank now has tabs for mounting. Simple and probably done this way many times before by others. I don't think I'm the first to use soldered tabs.  n~

The front end looks mean.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:24:53 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1163 on: April 07, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »
Here's my tank in place with four 4-40's.

I epoxied four .125" pieces of ply. Simple simple.

Now, I'm not taking any credit for this method, just in case someone else did it first?

But I have never seen this application before nor do I expect to see it again.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Generally the "T" nuts are on the opposit side.

Shims and the egging of the holes in the tabs, will allow for fine adjustment, if needed.

I might loose those hatch screws and go with magnets?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:52:07 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1164 on: April 07, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
Seems like building tasks just never end.

Cut the opening for the fuel lines. Half on the fuse and half on the lid. Didn't plan it that way.

Dialed down the canopy frame thickness, some sanding along the front edge left.

Not sure I'll use it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:53:08 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1165 on: April 08, 2015, 02:23:32 PM »
Just so you'll know....I'm watching you.  ;D

And you're doing just fine....I don't think the FAA will care how you mounted the tank, as long as it doesn't catch fire and cause people or property damage. You can do the test flight here at the Tulip Airport! H^^

P/S Guys like Keith are great to have around....keep you on your toes! y1

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1166 on: April 08, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
John,

Thanks for stopping in.

Well, it was really Marcus with his yellow take apart stunt ship, then I just had to find a way to incorporate it into the Mig-3.

Yellow. That I don't understand because the last time I checked, the sky isn't yellow. But none the less, yellow it will be.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:56:04 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1167 on: April 08, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »
The final rehearsal before the live show.

Everything assembled just to be sure. 47.2 oz. As you see it.

Really not all that bad for a model that has 250 some odd pieces weighing a pound in the cockpit, not to mention all that detail on the nose.  n~

My Pathfinder weighs 55oz and change. I forgot what the change was? Both models will have the OS LA .46 engine.

Same thrust in a smaller model, weighing about the same, could be a surprise performer? Ya never know.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:57:59 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1168 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
The Russians didn't use that tread pattern....you may have to make your own so its more scale! n~  Sorry, couldn't resist!  Can't waite to see the paint scheme you do. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1169 on: April 09, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
That's one sweet lookin model! Wouldn't matter to me if it ever flew, I'd be happy just to sit and admire those fine lines! H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1170 on: April 09, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
That's one sweet lookin model! Wouldn't matter to me if it ever flew, I'd be happy just to sit and admire those fine lines! H^^

Yup. She sure is a beauty.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I'd like to know how WWII aircraft wind up with yellow on the underneath?

Must be something to read about that.

John what do you think of the scheme I chose? Think it makes the nose look smaller because of the small area of that color not extending the length of the fuse?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:59:05 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1171 on: April 11, 2015, 07:33:57 AM »
Yup. She sure is a beauty.  LL~ LL~ LL~

I'd like to know how WWII aircraft wind up with yellow on the underneath?

Must be something to read about that.

John what do you think of the scheme I chose? Think it makes the nose look smaller because of the small area of that color not extending the length of the fuse?

Don't know about the yellow, and it never occurred to me that the nose looked too big....still doesn't! I think it looks perfect! Where is the center of gravity? H^^

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1172 on: April 12, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
I'm guessing you'll need to add weight to the tail, I remember the Dallas Doll I built needed close to 2 ounces in the tail to keep it from tipping over and stickin the prop in the ground. ::)

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1173 on: April 12, 2015, 12:22:35 PM »
I'm guessing you'll need to add weight to the tail, I remember the Dallas Doll I built needed close to 2 ounces in the tail to keep it from tipping over and stickin the prop in the ground. ::)

John,

I thought so also. But the stab and elevator weighs 3 oz. It's sheeted top and bottom with 1/32" balsa.

That weight balances the model perfectly.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1174 on: April 12, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
Keith,

Thanks for that information and clearing up the issue as to what yellow on the bottom of aircraft is all about.

Interesting story also, and as I suggested, Post other photos of your Nats winning MB5, if you have others.

It's a great model and shows your building accomplishments.

Winning any event at the Nats is outstanding.  H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1175 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »
Thought I'd drop these photos in just to keep the build current. You can see these photos and others related to scale and semi-scale models at the Scale Model Threads.

Old Robart struts left over from my R/C days. Opened the package just for the Mig-3
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:00:12 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1176 on: April 13, 2015, 06:44:52 PM »
Thought I'd drop these photos in just to keep the build current. You can see these photos and others related to scale and semi-scale models at the Scale Model Threads.

Old Robart struts left over from my R/C days. Opened the package just for the Mig-3

Very nice! ;)

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1177 on: April 15, 2015, 07:49:47 AM »
Very nice! ;)

John,

Thank you for that.

These robart struts required much fitting and trimming because of the tabs used to mount the gear doors.

I put an identical set of Robart struts on the ARGO also.

No gear dors on that model so the installation was really easy and took no time to do.

Here's the ARGO's sea leggs.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:01:34 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1178 on: April 16, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
Here's the finished strut with material removed.

Finished, but paint and detail is still needed.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:02:21 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1179 on: April 17, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »
John,

Here's the ARGO's sea leggs.

Oh yeah, I like that model. how about a link to more pics?

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1180 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Oh yeah, I like that model. how about a link to more pics?

Gee John, That's a dead horse. A real dead horse.  %^@

But you did ask. Can't believe you never seen the New American?

The Argo was the New American. Remember, that failed first design of mine.  LL~

Here's the link.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,34765.0.html

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1181 on: April 17, 2015, 06:31:21 PM »
I see nothing that even resembles a dead horse. Where was I when all this was going on??? You ARE going to finish it...correct?

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1182 on: April 17, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
I see nothing that even resembles a dead horse. Where was I when all this was going on??? You ARE going to finish it...correct?

John,

It was going on for years like all my builds.  n~

The thing started out as the New American. The New American was a beefed up All American with some additions. Thicker wing, longer tail moment and flaps. Wodda, shudda, kudda been a winner.  LL~

Model used a Sig banchee wing. Couple of mods on that also.

Anyway, I was almost convinced to go electric. Almost.

Sooooooooo,  I converted the New American to the ARGO. Simple nose job.

The ARGO, now converted to the big "E," has a Cobra 2820/14 KV=840 in the nose.

And yes, I will finish it, but I have something happening before. Something that's more important.

Search for the New American Build. There's plenty of stuff and photos there.

The ARGO.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:03:43 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1183 on: April 18, 2015, 06:29:51 AM »
I gotta hand it to ya Chaz; you do some damn pretty work!  y1

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1184 on: April 18, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »
I gotta hand it to ya Chaz; you do some damn pretty work!  y1

John,

Thanks for the kind words. I've seen your work. You do a great job also.   H^^

Did you ever fly that mammoth Ringmaster?

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1185 on: April 19, 2015, 01:26:41 AM »
The Russians didn't use that tread pattern....you may have to make your own so its more scale! n~  Sorry, couldn't resist!  Can't waite to see the paint scheme you do. H^^

Glenn,

Just saw your post. Thanks for the reply.

At this point I'll take anything I can get and that includes wheels. Wheels came from a SH member, lightest wheels I've ever had.

Hey! What have you been up to? Any new models?

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1186 on: April 19, 2015, 07:05:30 AM »
John,

Thanks for the kind words. I've seen your work. You do a great job also.   H^^

Did you ever fly that mammoth Ringmaster?
Not yet, I have injured my back really bad, and haven't been out of the house in 2 weeks....I guess it's time to head to Little Rock VA Hosp. emergency room. My healing abilities seem to have waned some! :-\

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1187 on: April 19, 2015, 08:59:14 AM »
Not yet, I have injured my back really bad, and haven't been out of the house in 2 weeks....I guess it's time to head to Little Rock VA Hosp. emergency room. My healing abilities seem to have waned some! :-\

John,

You know as we get older it's more difficult to shake that stuff off.

Please go get checked.

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1188 on: April 19, 2015, 03:59:40 PM »
John,

You know as we get older it's more difficult to shake that stuff off.

Please go get checked.

Just got back from the VA...got pain shots and meds to get me through till tomorrow and an MRI.

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1189 on: April 19, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
Just got back from the VA...got pain shots and meds to get me through till tomorrow and an MRI.

Great John!

Wouldn't want anything to happen to you. I only have two Posters.  LL~

Please let me knowhow things go.

Hey! Check out the glazing of the Mig-3 cockpit frame.  ;D

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1190 on: April 21, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »
Great John!

Hey! Check out the glazing of the Mig-3 cockpit frame.  ;D
Where's the picture? ;D

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1191 on: April 21, 2015, 06:19:27 AM »
Where's the picture? ;D

John,

The pictures are at the Scale Forum. I have other scale Threads there. Giving up information and tricks as always. Not many scale modelers though.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:07:39 AM by Avaiojet »

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1192 on: April 21, 2015, 08:32:04 AM »
John,

I Posted the above photos just for you.

Have you ever done any scale?

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1193 on: April 21, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »
John,

The pictures are at the Scale Forum. I have other scale Threads there. Giving up information and tricks as always. Not many scale modelers though.

Super nice. If I could build like that, my planes would be locked up under bullet proof glass! ;D

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1194 on: April 22, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »
Super nice. If I could build like that, my planes would be locked up under bullet proof glass! ;D

I'll probably have it bronzed.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1195 on: April 24, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
Yeah, that's a lotta rivets. Rosie would be asking for a raise! ;D

Offline don boka

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1196 on: April 24, 2015, 02:56:42 PM »
I believe I read that the original "Rosie the riveter" passed away recently!
Something like 92 years old.
I could be mistaken though.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #1197 on: April 24, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
Don is right.  I saw on the news just the other evening that she had passed away. 
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline John Stiles

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • one shot=one kill
« Reply #1198 on: April 25, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
Okay then, change that to: "Rosie would be rolling over in her grave" God rest her soul! H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• Admiral
« Reply #1199 on: April 27, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
That Rosie stuff was interesting, for the few who read it.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Now I'd like to get back to the Mig-3.

I'm doing surface detail because I can.  ;D

Interesting thing about "surface detail." The Mig-3 is loaded with it all over the fuselage. Sure, this Mig-3 isn't true scale, but none the less, I'd be doing just about the same thing with a full scale model, just paying more attention to the accuracy of details and obviously, starting out with a fuselage that's scale.

This Mig-3 is playful scale so I can be a bit loose with accuracy. I like loose, it's more fun.  n~

Also can't forget, the model never really started out as a Mig-3.

Anyway, lots of R/C scale guys, including myself, build up panels using primer then remove perimeter tape. The edge creates the raised panel. The more layers of tape, the thicker the panel. Easy as pie actually.

But all that masking.  %^@

I say R/C guys because I found no Threads describing built up surface detailing on scale CL models?

I did find pen work, including my own, about the drawing of lines and I found my Threads on cockpit detail. That's about it for "how to's." Unless I missed something?

Anyway again, I took a different approach. I used .015 styrene sheet instead of primer.

I have the Mig-3 profile and detail drawn in my CAD vector drawing program.

I drew out the area I'm working on, cut the template, then drew it on .015 sheet styrene using the template.

Here's the template and the piece. I used a #11 blade and scissors to cut it out. just glued the thing to the side of the fuselage. Done!!

Yes, there will be rivets and other stuff.  #^

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:04:24 PM by Avaiojet »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here