News:

• April 18, 2024, 09:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lap times are irrelevant!  (Read 4972 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Lap times are irrelevant!
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Who invented this messed up measure of seconds per lap? This is one of those sneaky measures that up until recently I did not fully understand. For most of my models I tended to set up the model for a 5.2 sec lap times never realizing how drastically the number changes when the lines change just by 5 feet! Did you know that if you cut the lines from 67 down to 62 feet, all other things being equal, the model speed will go down from 5.2 to 4.8 sec/lap!

to help me understand the impact of line length and lap times, I created a spreadsheet that I would like to share with you:

https://doc-04-84-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/securesc/ha0ro937gcuc7l7deffksulhg5h7mbp1/agf7jrllbfsfu405qfa3svk1rmq3lupb/1351310400000/13116471100394470931/*/0B9jqv0bA7wfdOHV4TjVVWlBCTG8?e=download

I've included things like wing span and length of pilot's arm in order to experiment with the impact model size or the style of holding the handle(against the chest or streched out). Turns out, model wingspan is irrelevant and how you hold the handle can impact your lap time by AT MOST 0.1 sec/lap.

Enjoy

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Lap times are irrelevant!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »
Who invented this messed up measure of seconds per lap? This is one of those sneaky measures that up until recently I did not fully understand. For most of my models I tended to set up the model for a 5.2 sec lap times never realizing how drastically the number changes when the lines change just by 5 feet! Did you know that if you cut the lines from 67 down to 62 feet, all other things being equal, the model speed will go down from 5.2 to 4.8 sec/lap!

Changing the line length by 5 feet is a HUGE change and I don't think it's very surprising that it would alter the lap times significantly.

To first approximation your title is right, but it is useful to help in the trimming processes. Change something, fly it, pulls harder - but oops, the engine sped up, too, and the lap time went down .1 sec, so you learned very little about the trim change

Brett
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:18:30 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »
The usual rule of thumb is a change of one foot in line length makes a change of 0.1 sec in lap time.  I think that is about right for the line lengths we usually use to fly stunt airplanes. I couldn't get your spreadsheet to load.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:43:58 AM »
may be you have to slow it down little bit on shorter lines ... or even better, you have to find proper line lenght for particular model

... BTW I fly the same lap times on 15ft lines and also on 65ft lines :- ))))))))) (no, not the same model :- P)

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 10:43:26 AM »
Hi Steven,

I think Brett said it best.  Lap times are very useful in trimming.  I fly the model, and once it is flying as I like it, I get a lap time.  This is for checking it later, to see if I am in the ball park under different conditions.  Each model needs its own "air speed" to fly well so once that is found a lap time helps to get it right each time.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:09:17 PM »
 Lap times are irrelevant!

Hi Steve
lap times are not irrelevant     they are really relative, what I mean by that is they are relative to the model, and used in that manner can be a big help.
 Trying to compare plane to plane is not really ideal unless the planes are similar in size and line lenght, even then it is best to keep it to one plane.
Example is ,a large modern ship running 5.4 lap times , on near 70 ft. lines , is world's differant than a small classic ship on short lines running 4.8 on smaller lines.
maneuver times maybe a better measure to compare with.

Randy

steven yampolsky

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
lap times are not irrelevant     they are really relative, what I mean by that is they are relative to the model, and used in that manner can be a big help.

I like your definition better Randy. I stand corrected.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
As a subjective measure, I like to fly as fast as I can comfortably control. On my planes that's usually around 5.3 second laps. But it's sort of like using hinge to hinge moment measurements. From an aerodynamic perspective, it's a mostly useless measure, but it useful for a sort of rule of thumb or general idea point. Same with lap times. Gets you in the ballpark, then you have to trim for what works for you.

I flew a friend's plane awhile back. He and I trim planes very differently. I found the plane almost unflyable. He does very well with it. It depends on what you are used to and what you expect.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
I find establishing a lap time is more about me than the airplane.  You can usually trim the airplane to fly well at any airspeed within a range.  (Note I said airspeed). The difference is at what manuver speed am I comfortable and in sync with the airplane.  (You can tell how your medication is doing-HA!).  Once you have determined where its working for you, you can accurately repeat it.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

steven yampolsky

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
The problem with lap times as I see it is that it is typically the only number people give when they talk about their model setups. anyhow, I am attaching the spreadsheet I've created to play with line lengths and lap times. I hope someone else will find it usefull

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
I think an airplane has a flying speed at which it is happiest, so adjusting lap time with line length is, I think, the best thing to do.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »
I thought that models have a 'judging' speed which is more or less an expectation. ;D

Lapping quickly will more than likely draw comments like 'lack of time for appraisal' and subconsciously being marked down.

(I know, it should have no bearing on the score (like the type of noise an engine makes, but I bet that it does.)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:34:19 PM »
Most everybody seems to trim out stunters somewhere between 52 and 55 mph- 75-80 fps.  At 88 fps you start to hear comments about flying really fast.  Much over 55mph precision starts to go down because we have a pretty much fixed reaction time.  Once you've got the model trimmed, as Randy pointed out, checking the lap time will stay very close, flight to flight, unless something changes.  If it constantly changes, flight to flight, you've got problems to fix.

Igor also has a good point.  Using the longest lines possible gives the plane more space so some maneuvers may present better(i.e. squares look squarer, even though the corner isn't all that tight), but a particular plane/engine combo may not do well on long lines.  So part of the trimming process is finding the right length of lines for a particular plane.  That is the reason for 48 oz. Noblers.  On 60-62ft. lines it takes that much weight to keep .015 lines tight enough not to mess up the plane's trim.  A lighter plane needs shorter lines and can fly a bit slower for good effect.
phil Cartier

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
Well, ideally, I'd love to be able to fly 6.5 second laps with all the power in the world and have plane be impervious to conditions. Nothing to do with the airplane. Having to do with my reflexes. Haven't seen that as possible yet, but hey, you never know.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

steven yampolsky

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
Well, ideally, I'd love to be able to fly 6.5 second laps with all the power in the world and have plane be impervious to conditions.

We would then get bored and move onto something more challenging.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
I've always toyed with th idea of building something like Charles Mackay's Monster-  600 some squares, maybe 32 oz.  the engine offset 30 degree for line tension.  It just might be able to do 45 mph on 69 ft. lines and give you your 6.5 sec. lap Randy.

Spectra lines would help too.  With virtually no weight swinging around on the wing tip would make it much easier to trim.
phil Cartier

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Well, ideally, I'd love to be able to fly 6.5 second laps with all the power in the world and have plane be impervious to conditions.
Fly indoors then. :)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 01:41:05 PM »
Well, ideally, I'd love to be able to fly 6.5 second laps with all the power in the world and have plane be impervious to conditions. Nothing to do with the airplane. Having to do with my reflexes. Haven't seen that as possible yet, but hey, you never know.

Hi Randy

Built a Scott Bair Stuntfire, they fly at a normal 6.2 sec laps as a standard setup, you should be able to fly 6.5 with them, just have a strong 65 to 75 engine

Randy

Offline Jorge de Azevedo

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
As a beginner I feel lap time as one of many interacting and interdependable variables .
To me looks better when level flight speed is egual to maneuvers speed and permitis easy control of the model.
I am wrong or right ?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »

Hi Randy

just have a strong 65 to 75 engine

Randy

Or an .80"something" with three glow plugs and bit the DEVIL out of my finger! LOL!!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here