News:

• April 24, 2024, 10:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dan Banjock ACME rocket plane at Huntersville NC Fall Contest  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Dan Banjock ACME rocket plane at Huntersville NC Fall Contest
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:44:48 PM »
Below is the flight during the lunch break at the Huntersville NC contest , John Saunders, Steve Fitton and Alan Buck assisting.

Will

Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Dan Banjock ACME rocket plane at Huntersville NC Fall Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »
I saw Dan fly that at the Nats and it was cool.  Dan definitely knows how to have fun #^.

James
AMA 491167

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:12:29 PM »
He had his Fox tandem twin at the GSCB fall meet it was to windy to fly but sure was neat to see it run! T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
Man, that is just fantastic.  In all my days I've never seen a dynajet stunter.  I wonder how he keeps  the fuel to the engine in the maneuvers.  Maybe pressure fuel system.  My memories from back in the day is that these engines would quit running if you tried  to do a loop.  Obviously Dan has found the solution. I sure would like to see this fly in person.  Maybe at next years Brodak ?  ;D
AMA 33676

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:45:58 PM »
                    I can tell you that there's no pressure in that fuel system. I do believe he had the tank setup for uniflow. The initial flights back in April this year was the most difficult. Many things needed to be sorted out and the initial flights lasted less than 3 minutes. Dan has almost 19 oz's of fuel in the nose. The most problematic thing he said isn't the run but the CG change throughout the run. My son Shawn was lucky to fly this plane last month. Dan insisted and we were just smiles the entire flight. Truly an awesome sight and the nose is quite impressive as well. Ken

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:34 PM »
Gene Hempel was running pressure to the tank off the tailpipe.  I saw a half page thing an a model magazine about a guy flying Dynajets RC.   He had a couple of scale looking airplanes with two jets each and some sort of large fuel bladder.  As I recall, there was only a picture of the airplanes opened up.  Gene Hempel knew who the guy was, but I don't recall his name or exactly which magazine had the little write up. 

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »
The tank is a chicken hopper. 18  1/2 ounces. I have to check if it's run as a uniflo or not. Ken's probably right. Engine started right up at Huntersville, run time is three minutes plus. Initially, there were thoughts that the fuel system would have to be pressurized in order to feed. Dynajets usually sensitive to any variation in fuel head. Not a problem. First flight Dan did loops, lazy eights, I believe. Mike Palko put the plane over on its back did an inverted lap. Dan now can do every maneuver in the pattern. Issue at the moment is run time. Not quite long enough for a pattern. Engine will run on 87 octane but not reliably. At Huntersville Dan was using a propylene oxide mix. Started right up. Engine needs to be adjusted to match the temperature/barometric pressure(?), humidity(?), of the day. Dan's getting very good at getting the jetting right. I have seen many of Dan's projects over the years. This one has been comparatively easy to trouble shoot.

Dan flew the twin fox Bearcat in Profile at Huntersville. I think he came in third. Engine sound is a treat. Dan machined the cranks and crank pins for the double Fox. Randy Holcroft did the heat treatment. Nearly 30 flights on this engine so far.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
Re: Dan Banjock ACME pulsejet plane at Huntersville NC Fall Contest
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »
We had a guy up here in the NW flying a DynaJet stunter sometime in the  '60's or '70's. I never saw it happen, but I was chasing thermals in the '70's and '80's. I have seen a picture of the guy with his plane, and talked to folks that witnessed it. Only thing is, I can't remember who it was that saw it.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:33:45 PM »
We have seen pictures of a dynajet stunter with an aluminum fuse built during that era. Dan has an article about it. It is sketchy, no plans or specifics about how engine was mounted, what tank used, and so forth. The fuse enclosed the engine. I believe Boeing engineers assisted in the build. The article stated that the plane flew the pattern. P40 shark teeth painted on the front.

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
Very cool indeed...quite the pull on those lines.
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
Back in the late 50's early 60's a guy by the name of Bob Watts just north of KCMo used to fly the Dyna Stunter that was kitted for a while.   I seen it fly at the Blue Ridge Mall during a contest one time.   They thought the plate glass windows was going to fall out in the stores.  He did loops and inverted flight with it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Sonny Williams

• Lieutenant
  • Control line builder and flyer since 1946.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
Being an old Jet Speed guy for many years I was like all others puzeled by the smooth engine run in Dan's stunt job. No, it is not uniflo.  Dan tried uniflo and it did not work in his setup. His tank is mounted above and in front of the engine and he has devised a unique five (5) baffle system to provide a constant fuel flow and the engine operates as standard Dyna on suction, not pressure. Dan is very open with his unique setup so I don't think he would mind my sharing.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
Sonny...is this you in the picture? If so, I'll add your surname to the photo ID...'cause I forgot :-[ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
The picture is Sonny Williams
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
When I was about 13 years old my two older brothers put an O.S. Jet engine on a modified Flying Clown and flew it a couple of times.  But it would quit running if you tried to take it much out of level flight.  That's why I was so impressed to see Dan doing loops and inverted flight.  Mr. Banjock is COOL !!!  8) 8) 8)
AMA 33676

Offline Will Davis

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Dan's plane
Will Davis
"Carolina Gang"

Offline Sonny Williams

• Lieutenant
  • Control line builder and flyer since 1946.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »
Look at that Dan and his big smile. I think we could all take a lesson from Dan.  Doesn't matter what's going on or if he is not winning which is seldom, he always has that big smile and a friendly word for whomever wishes to talk to him. Quite a guy !!

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
Very cool video, and WTF! That was awesome! I'd like a go on one of those...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
You all have WAY too much fun at Huntersville.  How about holding the contest in - well, say Minneapolis or St. Paul - next year?

Dennis
 ;) ;) ;)
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 05:43:08 AM »
Awesome! I notice he was holding the handle close to the up line, was that due to the pull of the model or does he always fly like that? No problems getting a full gliding lap in when the motor quits. y1

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here