News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oshkosh AirVenture live  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Oshkosh AirVenture live
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »
My grand-daughter, Maggie, sent me this link to a live streaming video from Oshkosh.  The camera is located in the warbird area and stays on continuously.  Every few minutes it will pan right or left and sometimes zoom in or out just to give different views of the goings on.  Pretty interesting to watch.

http://www.haydenworld.com/jwplayer/jwplayertest.htm

My grand-daughter is there, staying on-site in a motor coach and getting paid to be there.  She went along with a couple from her church.  They volunteer at Oshkosh every year.  They hired Maggie to come along and watch their two children while they are working.  She did tell me that she bought me a tee shirt.

She is getting paid to be there and I get a tee shirt.  Just doesn't seem fair.

Enjoy
Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Oshkosh AirVenture live
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing Bill. That is really neat. I have never been there, but it sure looks like fun. I bet your grandaughter will have a great time, and have many stories to relate.
Jim Kraft

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
It looks kind of wet there today!

Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
Wonder if Bob Reeves down Tulsa way had a hand in this??   He has a system that is similar.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
    I'm coming to you live from Oshkosh also!! I'm sitting in my room at the dorms for the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh. 60 bucks a night for a dorm room with two beds. I'm here with a friend of mine from my motorcycle hobby, and Bob Arata from the control line club I belong to, the Lafayette Esquadrille, and some of you may know Bob. We're here volunteering tha the KidVenture venue flying control line trainers. We just got back from a long day at the field doing KidVenture, ducking sudden rain storms, roaming the grounds buying T-Shirts, attending the afternoon airshow, and then flying our models at the big KidVenture circle until dark. Not a bad way to spend a summer day! There is a web cam for the museum that over looks the Pioneer Airport, but it is reportedly not working. Try it and if it doesn't work, notify the webmaster! If he can fix it, you can watch us fly kids during the day, and fly our stuff in the evening! We have a KidVenture Volunteer picnic tomorrow after the days session, then we plan to fly some more until dark. You could be doing this also! Contact me later by email and I can send you the information to sign up as a volunteer for next year. We're down a bit on people this year and could use some more help. John Wright from SoCal is here again, and so is Pete Mick from the Milwaukee area. Some other R/C types helping out also. Men and women are useful! We need sign up people, people to attend the waiting lines, and of course, pilots and pit crews. Attending gets you a wrist band to get access to the flight line and all the goodies that are scattered around the grounds. This is my thirteenth year and hope to continue for some time to come. I'll get the contact info from the event chairpersons and post it here tomorrow night, maybe. Right now, I think we're going  to have another beer and put a DVD in this laptop, maybe The Spirit of St. Louis with Jimmy Stewart!!!
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:38:14 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bill Hodges

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »
John:

As best as I can determine, the camera was placed by some folks with the last name of Hayden from Hartford, WI.

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline James Mills

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
 450 bucks a night for a dorm
Dan,

Did I read that correctly, $450 per night (not 45).  I hope you get breakfast with that LL~.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
I have been going to Oshkosh every year since 1978. I try to find the unusual subject to model and attempt to do documentation photo shoots of the same subject. I was there Wednesday and I came away disappointed. I was surprised by what seemed to be a lack of participation by both spectators and participants. I did not even take my lens cap off of my camera. There are allways a lot of nice airplanes at Oshkosh, but this year there was nothing new that I had not seen before.

I have gone to the convention long enough that I am rather disappointed in how much it changed over the years. I remember when it was simple and enjoyable. Now, it is extremely commercial. It cost me $9 to park, $27 for the days entry fee and $15 for a cheeseburger and a Coke. I did not even give a second thought to buying one of the $70 sweatshirts. In spite of the cost, I came away with no pictures.

When I was walking down the main apron, going into the site, there was some activity around the Ford tent (that's right, the "Ford" tent)(it's very near the "John Deere" tent). I stopped to see what was going on. There was a woman on stage all trussed up and they were cranking down on what appeared to be vertical masts. All of a sudden, she shot straight up into the air and bounced around for a while. That's right, upright bungey-jumping. I walked away, shaking my head and thinking "what the h... has that got to do with airplanes"? The gathering used to be a convention for those who had an interest in building and restoring aircraft. Today it is more about the money and selling you something. Sad.

Jim Fruit

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:38 PM »
450 bucks a night for a dorm
Dan,

Did I read that correctly, $450 per night (not 45).  I hope you get breakfast with that LL~.

James
OOOPS! I just fixed it. 60 bucks a night!
  More to follow later. Too pooped to type tonight.
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
  Got back from Oshkosh last night after an uneventful trip. This years event was a real mixed basket.To echo Jim's comments, the event has gotten pretty commercial, but what major event in this day and age hasn't? Sometimes you just gotta learn to adapt and take advantage of opportunities. To cut expenses, you can become a volunteer at KidVenture, or one of the other areas that require lots of manpower. KidVenture volunteers have the opportunity for free camp sites, free admission to the grounds, and a parking pass to park. That leaves lots more money for T-shirts and hats!!! The EAA provides a simple lunch for volunteers, so that helps with the food bill. On Friday evening, they hosted a catered dinner for KidVenture volunteers that was quite nice. The Control Line group had our own little get together at the KidVenture Volunteer camp site on Wednesday. That's a lot of eating where I didn't have to get out out my wallet. My two traveling buddies and I stay at the dorms at the University of Oshkosh, about a 10 minute drive from the airport. Rooms were 65 bucks a night, and divided by three, that makes it pretty reasonable. We get up around 6:30 AM and drive to the grounds and park in the designated lot for our passes, no crowds or lines to wait in. There is a lot to see and do in the close by area around the Pioneer Airport area where KidVenture takes place. Or you can hustle up to the flight line to take some pictures before the general population arrives. The museum opens at 8AM also. KidVenture operates from 9AM to 3:30PM and is split into morning and afternoon shifts. Work as many or as few as you want, and you are provided a wrist band according  to the length of your stay to get you to the flight line. As I said before, you get a simple lunch that is provides no matter which shift you work, and while it is no 5 star meal, it is still filling and free. The afternoon airshow starts between 3 and 4PM, depending on what is scheduled that day and lasts until 6PM. Three years ago they added a Saturday night, night time airshow and fireworks display that is nothing short of spectacular!! After the afternoon airshow, if the weather is good and nothing else is planned, we head back to the KidVenture circles and fly our own models. This is one of the main reasons I go and volunteer. You can't have a better atmosphere to fly models in! Lots of people stop by on their walk back to there car and watch and some have commented that they liked what they saw as much as what was going on at the airshow! Sometimes you never know who will walk up. While taking a break from my shift at the handle one afternoon this year, I was standing near the display models and a tall older gentleman dressed in white with a white cowboy hat on started asking questions about the models, and the Tuff Baby airplane we designed for use on the kids circles, I talked to the guy for about 10 minutes before I realized I was talking to Dick Rutan! I had a very pleasant 30 to 40 minute conversation with him, and offered him a flight, but he declined, saying that he was a grandpa now, and there comes a time when you have just as much fun watching! He thanked me for the offer and the trip down memory lane, shook hands, and went quietly on his way, and blended into the crowd. This kind of thing has happened many times over the 13 years I have been volunteering at KidVenture. This year was a the 75th Anniversary of the Piper Cub, and they did some tributes to the Doolittle Raiders and Tuskegee Airman. It was kind of an off year for the attendance of some airplanes and vendors. The economy is obviously still affecting a lot of people. But there are ways to do do the things you like to do with a little planning and some effort on your parts. You have a year to think about next years AirVenture convention and plan a trip . Contact me for information and who to contact about being a volunteer. Lots is said on these forums about "giving back to the hobby" or someone "doing a lot for control line." Well, here is your chance to REALLY do something fun and positive to promote model aviation, control line in particular, and have a lot of fun in the process. Yeah, it can get hot standing in the sun, and may be some work, but the rewards far out way the work involved in my opinion. You won't ever know, unless you go!! y1 y1
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 06:53:13 PM »
Due to work and family stuff  I could not go this year, and Dan is correct.  It is a blast. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »
Dave,
You should have called in sleepy and got Chris and Joe and ran up for a day!!!

We got a chance in 2008 and like Dan said you give back -they make it easy and treat you to some need stuff.
You work 1/2 day and get the rest of the day to spend it on the grounds. FREE! They feed us lunch, then put us in a big limo golf cart and asked us were we wanted to go. Right down on the flight line we went!
What a great way to spend a day!
You can even bring a plane and fly a demo.

I don't remember seeing Dan that day but Sean was working with us.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
If its hot, muggy, and raining, in Wisconsin it must be OSH week!  y1 I no longer go each year. Did for many. Displayed the plane I restored there one year in the classics section. Always a good time. Your experience with Dick Rutan is just classic OSH thing. Happens all the time. If anyone has never been, the campsite there is huge and you really don't need a reservation. Bring anything from a tent to an rv and you are welcomed there. I usually bring a backpack tent. The nice thing about staying onsite is you are there for all the evening programs and activities which are always very cool. Plus you can wander the flight lines after everyone has gone home for the day. Some of the best viewing. As for the meals, I always try to eat each meal at a different location. I also always go sit at a bench or table with people I do not know... and get to know them. Wow, talk about some interesting folk I have met over the years.... Always the highlight of each year.

bob branch

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
Dan:

Thank you for giving me a proper perspective. I have become somewhat disenchanted with the Airventure show because I have been going to the event for so long and remember when it was simple and more enjoyable. EAA and AMA, however, are great organizations and have been working together in recent years to advance their common interests. You are to be commended by your efforts in this common interest, thank you. You may be doing it for fun, but most businesses would gladly pay for such exposure. Again, thank you.

Jim Fruit

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
    Hi Jim;
    I can see your point of view, and can understand the feeling. Sometimes I feel like it's lost it's luster a bit. But I'm an airplane nut in general, so being around them in any way, shape or form is a lot of fun. There is less and less chance of there being an old fashioned air show in my area each year as most of the local airports get more built up and the areas around them get developed. They have an airshow on the St. Louis river front each year for the 4th of July, but it's a short one, and the hassle of that kind of crowd make it less attractive to attend, and there aren't any static displays. It's almost as much work getting there and back home as it is going to Oshkosh! This year at AirVenture was a kind of off year in some aspects, but I guess you have to expect a valley on the other side of the peaks. I made my dorm reservations for next year before I left, so I guess we'll see what next year brings.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
Just kind of a "it happened to me at Oshkosh"...several years ago I was there and was going through the meriad of tent displays they have and came face to face with none other than  " Harrison Ford " ! We chatted for a few minutes and he said he was there looking at new helicopters to buy ( he is rotorcraft certified ). Nice guy. I'm glad you got to meet Dick Rutan. Wonder who I'll meet next year ?
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 09:23:58 AM »
Very cool, thanks for posting!  #^
AMA 59633

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here