News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where is the Bell in the Crank ?  (Read 4034 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Where is the Bell in the Crank ?
« on: July 14, 2012, 05:52:43 AM »
Since a new member is redoing all the "old " drawings of controls and I never understood any of it the first time around. I thought I would go and look for this Bellcrank. I took one of my old planes apart and only found the crank thingy,no Bell. So I took another plane apart and no Bell. Now all my planes are in pieces and I still didn't find the Bell. Why would you need to have a Bell on the cranky thing. Does it ring if you give to much control? ~^

PS   You really don't need to answer this dumb post but redoing all the old formulas and drawings again about control systems is just as dumb. Daaa Z@@ZZZ
      Don't get all excited this post is just in fun #^
Dumb Ed
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:35:45 AM by Ed Ruane »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline TomLaw

• Lieutenant
Re: Where is the Bellcrank?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
The format of the answers is what seemed new! Bellcrank

"I invent nothing, I rediscover." Rodin

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
So, Ed -- are you trying to get the No Bell prize, or what?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »
If I can get to Huntersville for the October Meet, I will definitely have Ed's "No Bell" Prize Certificate in hand...............

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »
If I can get to Huntersville for the October Meet, I will definitely have Ed's "No Bell" Prize Certificate in hand...............

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Well that will ring his chimes er........bells

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »
Since a new member is redoing all the "old " drawings of controls and I never understood any of it the first time around. I thought I would go and look for this Bellcrank. I took one of my old planes apart and only found the crank thingy,no Bell. So I took another plane apart and no Bell. Now all my planes are in pieces and I still didn't find the Bell. Why would you need to have a Bell on the cranky thing. Does it ring if you give to much control? ~^

PS   You really don't need to answer this dumb post but redoing all the old formulas and drawings again about control systems is just as dumb. Daaa Z@@ZZZ
      Don't get all excited this post is just in fun #^
Dumb Ed

One of the flaws of this forum is the search function, which is based on keywords. If a thread poster misspells a word, or uses incorrect nomenclature it's hell trying find info, hence the repeated questions. Yeah, some guys are lazy and just ask or don't know how to use the search function. Then again most people don't bother using [Spell Check] either, they don't realize they need too.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:21:46 PM by Douglas Ames »
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Where is the Bell in the Crank ?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
If this is a joke, I bit.
Back in the middle ages when it was invented a bellcrank wasa e cut to look like bell. A typical use was to have a cam drive the middle arm and move pushrods attached where we usually put the lines.  So the thing generally had a "third" arm 2-3 times as long as the others.  Picture a bell pivoted about where the clapper generally hangs.
phil Cartier

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
If this is a joke, I bit.
Back in the middle ages when it was invented a bellcrank wasa e cut to look like bell. A typical use was to have a cam drive the middle arm and move pushrods attached where we usually put the lines.  So the thing generally had a "third" arm 2-3 times as long as the others.  Picture a bell pivoted about where the clapper generally hangs.

Hmm.  Wikipedia says that the name comes about because they were used to actuate bells.

And heaven knows, Wikipedia is always right about everything.  Right?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Phil and Tim -

It does seem a bit obvious... Go back 600 or 700 years... The unwashed monk in brown sack-cloth has the leadout rope. The rope's upper end attaches to an arm connected to the bell. The bell is pivoted about where the clapper hangs free.

System is in equilibrium until Quasimodo pulls his rope. Bell swings. Momentum returns it - past equilibrium point. Eventually, repeats of the above cause the bell to hit the clapper.

BONG!

Repeat as desired, or directed...

In this instance, Tim, I'd tend to agree with Wiki.
\BEST\LOU

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 07:57:17 PM »
I started this silly thread because of a plane I built in 1988.It made a noise when the leadouts were moved. It was not a scratching noise but a "DING DING" sound. Two months ago I opened a box of old models I had not looked at in over 18 years with the idea of looking at the stuff one last time and then trashing it. In the box was my 1988 Nats Juno and it is the model that made the bell sound. I had long since forgot about the noise and also that I kept this model. I was looking for a older I/beam model. Since my 2010 June wing broke in flight I had all the parts to do a rehab of the 1988 Juno. I used the 2010 elevator and rudder and formed a new bottom and replaced a lot of ribs and mounted the gear in the wing . The custom built 3.5 bellcrank had ballbearing in the pivot and that is what was making the bell sound. I trashed the worn out  controls and mounted the new bellcrank behind the spar. I left the original horns in the plane and used ball links on them. The whole project took two days. I got rid of fuel soaked nose parts and glassed it. It should weigh about 45 ounces when done. It weighted 47 ounces in 1988. I spent another week sanding and covering and here it is in flat color base.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here