News:

• April 23, 2024, 12:37:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stooged  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Michael Massey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Stooged
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:03:24 AM »
Today, after everyone else left the flying field, I decided to do just one last flight, and it was...literally.  So here is my "stooge" story to serve as a reminder and caution to all.  This is just another way it can happen.

I have read some of the horror stories on these forums about stooge mishaps.  That always happens to someone else, not me.  I am too careful.  My set up is a stooge mounted on a 1 foot by 1 foot 1/4 inch thick piece of steel plate.  If the plane pulls too much I lay the stooge on a similar sized piece of rubberized shelf liner.  That works well.  For added safety, I have a very heavy weight I attach to the control line handle safety thong that will "give hard down elevator" should the plane slip from the stooge before I am ready. 

Whenever I use a stooge, I ALWAYS run my lines, put the handle thong weight between the airplane handle and the stooge  release line handle...ALWAYS!  After starting the engine and walking (behind the lines) to the handle, I pick up the airplane handle with my left hand (I fly right handed).  That way I now have control of the airplane.  I then remove the weight attached to the safety thong and place the thong (safety that is) on my right wrist.  I then move the handle from my left hand to my right hand.  Only then do I "touch" the stooge release line handle.  I pick up the stooge release handle with my left hand, and when I am ready to launch, pull the release handle and "discard" that release handle when the plane starts to move.  Today was no different EXCEPT... I released the airplane and immediately saw the stooge line wrapped around my control lines.  It made it about a quarter lap before the stooge line handle got to the airplane control lines.  The rest is history...literally.  I am not sure how the stooge line wrapped my control lines but I have two possible scenarios.

1. I think I have a tendency to "toss" the stooge line handle or there is a "spring" reaction when I release the stooge handle because at the end of each flight the stooge handle comes to rest about a third (or less) of the way back towards the launch site.  In that scenario, the plane could have flown under the stooge line as I toss, or is springs back, and because I am bending over for takeoff, thus the line wrap.

2.  When getting ready to fly from the stooge, I always pick up the handle in my left hand first, put the safety thong on my right wrist, change the handle to my right hand then pick up the stooge release handle with my left.  In that scenario, I pick up the stooge handle and it remains under (lower than) my control lines and plane handle.  The only way this could cause a line wrap would be if I reached over my right hand with my left in order to pick up the stooge handle.  That is more unlikely since that would be more awkward.

So be careful with the use of stooges.  They are often necessary for those of us who can, or must, fly alone at times and work well but...

In any event, the Pathfinder is likely history, the engine is history as well as the control lines and stooge release line.  Other than that, all is well.  And by the way, that was my contest airplane and the Northwest Regionals begin in a few weeks.  Boo!!!

Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Stooged
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your plane -- losing one to a crash would be bad enough, but losing it to a stooge accident only takes second place to tripping while you're carrying it, or having the dog chew it up, or something similarly pointless.

I always make sure that my flying lines are clear of my stooge line before I release.  The stooge handle ends up pretty much where I drop i, but I can't say that this is because I'm paying attention -- I flew four flights on a stooge just this morning, and I have absolutely no memory of doing anything with the stooge once the plane was in the air.  So whatever I do is just as thoughtless as whatever you do, it just (apparently!!) ends up in less travel of the stooge handle.

Using something inelastic as a stooge line may be a good idea, or arranging your stooge handle so that it can't go far -- perhaps tying a four-foot string to your stooge handle, with a rock on the other end of the string, would ensure that your handle doesn't go flying, or if it's dinky, making it a honkin' big piece of wood.  My stooge "handle" is the reel that the string came on from the store -- there's nothing special about it, except that if there were spring-back from the stooge the energy would likely go into unwinding string from the end rather than making it fly through the air.

Ah well.  I hope that you have a backup plane, and that it does well by you at Eugene.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:11:49 AM »
I do not blame the stooge...I blame the user...
First your unsure how but think you know what may have happened....
I am not trying to place blame but I consider stooges to be 100 percent safe if used properly and built properly.
If the handle has a tendency to bounce that would be easy to fix...add a weighted beanbag.Never seen a bean bag actually bounce.
Never just discard an item buy throwing it.
Assuming being right handed....
stooge is laid out behind lines.
control line are in front of stooge line
walk out behind stooge line to as you walk verify that lines do not cross.
pick up control lines and set thong. Control lines are now in air above stooge line.
Pick up stooge line with left hand but keep lower than control line.if you need to you could place a sock filled with sand about 10' from the edge of the circle to prevent the stooge line from drifting and not blowing.
Pull stooge line and drop it.
Back away and towards circle center.
It is not the stooge that is inherently problematic.
I shoot archery...rule 1 never dry fire a compound bow..or any bowfor that matter...
How many times have i know people to forget to load an arrow???
Sounds like that would be impossible to forget to do ?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
I have used stooge releases since my days of flying 1/2A when I had no one to help me fly in the back yard.   Discarded kitchen table was my launch platform, which meant I had to back up a step or two when launching.   Even then was always told to take a step or two backwards even with a human stooge.  What few accidents I had was my fault and not the stooge.   Always take your time to do it right the first time.   The one time time I picked up the stooge line and released realized too late it was around the lines.  A little down elevator saved that one.   But, what is bad is when the stooge will not release when the line is pulled.   Six minute engine runs gets very boring while you are standing holding the handle. 

Now put some weight on your stooge handle and do not throw it.   I do not release mine until I see that the plane is moving.  I am trying to figure out a stooge for my combat wings. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 08:03:33 AM »
So be careful with the use of stooges.  They are often necessary for those of us who can, or must, fly alone at times and work well but...

I never had a serious accident with a stooge but I knew it was just a matter of time and stopped before I did. I have seen or heard of so many accidents I pretty much won't fly with one any more. You are lucky in that it just whacked and airplane. People have been very seriously injured and they were just as careful as anyone else.

I know people are going to do it, so I won't bother saying not to, but you must be *extremely careful* at all times and diligent about having a good procedure, a proper stooge with a positive retention method, and err on the side of caution when using it.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »
Bummer, Mike!  I should have stayed at the field a little longer.  I left you all by yourself and you started using the stooge.  Your set-up looked very secure.  (and your plane was finally flying very well)

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »
I am trying to figure out a stooge for my combat wings. H^^

http://flyinglines.org/buzz.stooge.html

I use what he calls the "wedge type" for flying 1/2-A planes in a field with rough ground -- it gets put on a stool that's high enough so that I can just pull the plane out and have it at flying speed before it hits the ground.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:25:23 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  What airplane were you flying and what size engine did it have?......just curious.  I started using stooges in 1956 with O.K. Cub .049 powered models and have used them off and on ever since.  I prefer a live "stooge", but as you know,  you cannot often find one when you want to go flying.  I did decide a long time ago, not to use a stooge on any plane with an engine over .36 in size.  I had one bad experience with line entanglement in the 1980's with a Fox .35 powered Nobler, but managed to save the Airplane.  I even built one of the foam rubber jaw type stooges and launched Super Tigre .35C powered Nemesis II's without mishap (but it was a little hair raising).  I still use a stooge today for the reasons stated above.  But, we would do well to remember, we cannot be too careful in their use.    y1    D>K    H^^
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:28:15 PM by Terrence Durrill »

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
I decided to do just one last flight,

Famous last words, I know Been there done that!  :-[ Sorry about your plane though.
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:13 PM »
Just remember Murphy's law is always in effect.

If anything can go wrong it will.

I wish I could be like Brett and stop using a stooge. But I can't if I want to fly often.

Sorry to hear of you plane.

Think someone else said it above. Get your handle in you right hand lift you lines THEN pick up your stooge line. That is my routine.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 03:53:44 PM »
My stooge handle is an old large E Z Just handle. I also have had a stooge line tangle with the flying lines. Not fun.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
Wasn't there a thread here about a wireless stooge release that looked to be pretty foolproof?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
Since I'm left-handed, my stooge line would be out at the end of my right arm, pretty far away from flying lines.

But I don't normally use a stooge, so my superior left-handness goes to waste!

Floyd

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 06:03:21 PM »
Hi Terrence,

I was flying a Pathfinder profile with an LA 46.  That is the largest plane I have flown off the stooge but only because I do not have a larger airplane that is stooge equiped.  The engine size does not appear to be an issue, only my methodology.   I simply have a Brodak stooge mounted on the steel plate I am using.  My stooge "equiped" planes have a "U" shaped wire soldered to the tail wheel gear, closer to the fuselage for a little extra stiffness.  I then use 2 line clips in series to attach the stooge to the stooge fixture on the plane.

At this point, I plan on investigating either a foot release or the wireless "garage door" opener set up mentioned in a previous thread. 
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »

Knowing Mike and his approach to safe flying I think we ought agree that stooges are a bit sketchy even in the best hands and if ya just have to use one it's impossible to be too safe.

But I did catch Mike admitting to what I think is bad practice! All that crap and junk--no matter how well designed or properly used--ultimately depends upon a solder joint or two. Oooops...

If anything is to be tacked onto a tail-wheel strut it probably should be the axle for a wheel. Make the strut a one-piece affair beginning with a secure mounting to fuselage, terminating in a loop to be inserted in stooge fixture.

Yep, ya should'a known...

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 05:27:44 PM »
I thought a cleaver idea was to use a 100' long measurement tape, the fiberglass open reel type, for the stooge pull line.  It is lightweight, rolls in and out efficiently and even has a handle (say, I might make a flight handle out of one of those!). The tape is high visibility.

A hard and fast safety rule would be that your release mechanism is "captive", with nothing to physically disconnect from the base and be launched across the flight lines or worse. (Ask me how I know.) While a certain amount of stretch is inevitable with a cloth measurement tape, they are less springy and capable of storing potential energy to release afterward as kinetic energy.

Plus: it's always nice to be able to easily measure flight lines at the circle.

(The one pictured below is $12.99 on Amazon.)

L.

"The difference between a violin and a viola is that a viola burns longer." -Victor Borge

AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
But, will it take the bouncing off the hard ground  or even pavement? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 10:30:26 AM »
I have done this as well.  Trashed a Ringmaster years ago.  Something that helps is using a stooge line that is more visible than the flying lines.  I use those kevlar sullivan lines for the stooge since they are yellow and are easy to see.  A good idea to "toss" the stooge reel.  Once my feet got tangled in the stooge line.  Not fun.  Better to lose a plane than a finger though.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
A good idea to "toss" the stooge reel.  Once my feet got tangled in the stooge line.  Not fun.  Better to lose a plane than a finger though.

I position the plane so that I'm about six feet from the center of the circle when I launch.  I drop the stooge release, and walk back to the center.  That way, not only do I not trip over the stooge line, but I don't smack into my flight box!!

If I do get tangled up in my stooge line, I hope that I have the presence of mind to immediately start doing lazy eights...
AMA 64232

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »
I lost a Sig Magnum the same way as Micheal did. Upon release of the stooge line, a gust of wind lifted it up and over the down line going to the plane, ker-plunk was the result! Ouch! At least I now have a ST 51 for my Nakke. I have a 2 ounce weight at the end of the line now, helps to keep it from going airborne. HB~>

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
To keep the stooge line from interfering with the control lines, one might route the stooge line through a couple of "eye-rods" pushed into the ground as shown in the illustration. This scheme would keep the lines well separated and when you tossed the stooge line handle it would rotate to your right and out of the way. Of course this scheme works best on grass fields or sites with grass or dirt centers that would allow you to insert the eye-rods.

Orv.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 07:22:15 AM »
This rope from Home Depot costs about $6, includes the reel which doubles as a release handle, and has enough extra line to make several good wrist straps.

While it can be tangled with the flying lines, the bright color helps mitigate several failure modes.  
Very little assembly required.  
Battery not included.

The carpet is there to stabilize the wheels and keep them pointed in the direction of flight.
Paul Smith

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »
My next stooge will be a 2.4 ghz cheepy car 2 channel radio.  It can hang from a belt loop on my left side.  Stake out the handel and all should be good to go.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/__10608__Hobby_King_GT_2_2_4Ghz_2Ch_Tx_Rx_.html
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
"Never trust electronics for anything!"

---quote from the famous Floyd----

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »
Agreed, if a controlline timer/ESC combination is not considered safe enough to be left unattended (Quite Rightly). The thought of an electronic device restraining a howling IC model gives me the Heebie jeebies. It's the same thing to all intents just with the ability to operate it remotely. (Like i you trip up on the way to the model). Scary...  :X

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
Agreed, if a controlline timer/ESC combination is not considered safe enough to be left unattended (Quite Rightly). The thought of an electronic device restraining a howling IC model gives me the Heebie jeebies. It's the same thing to all intents just with the ability to operate it remotely. (Like i you trip up on the way to the model). Scary...
Someone here had a picture of an electro-mechanical stooge where you had to push two buttons on a remote in a specific order before the plane would be released -- and the interlock was mechanical, not electronic.

As far as I'm concerned, as soon as you decrease the chances of the electronics from fritzing out to equal to or less than the chances of tripping over the stooge line on your way to the handle, then you're good to go.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
After playing with radio planes, cars and boats, I would never use electronics for a stooge release. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline REX1945

• AMA 19945
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
Mike,

I don't have a handle on the pilot end of the stooge line. I've had it get flopped over the flying lines and after the first lap, I
flew high altitude figure eights and eventually the line slipped down the flying lines where I could grab it and untangle it. This
has happened twice (once with a horizontal plane release mechanism and once with a the vertical plane mechanism I now use).

The nearest CL flyer to me is Randy Powell, who is 70 miles away. Needless to say; I use the stooge a lot. It is attached to
the end of my flying box; hence the vertical plane release mechanism. I have a 7:1 ratio lever on the release pin to reduce the
possibility of "hangups" with the trip line when flying with a .56 or .72 engine.

As you have indicated, having a systematic routine helps reduce the surprizes just like everything you encounter while flying
stunt. Now, we just have one more item on the checkilis.

Rex

PS : Most stooge stories remind me of anchoring stories from my sailing days...

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 09:49:15 AM »
Electronis, pull a string, or push the button and run are all safe if you have the unattended handel tied down.  In all of these stories I see lots of aircraft being trashed but no reports of anyone getting killed.  Control line, no matter how stupid you get, is still safer than RC.

y1  n~  Z@@ZZZ
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags: stooge 

Advertise Here