News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any one building a Volunteer?  (Read 14845 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Any one building a Volunteer?
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
I have heard that a few foam wings have been sold this past building season for this plane.

Anyone?
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Any one building a Volunteer?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
Not me, but I have seen pictures and the FM plans are offered.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
I ordered a wing from Bob but I haven't sheeted it yet.  Hope to get to it before Allen's contest so I can show it to Jim.

James
AMA 491167

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
James,

What are you sheeting your foam wings with? What adhesive?

Thanks,

Charles
Epoxy (probably West Systems).  I'll spray the sheeting with AquaNet (I forget who suggested that, either Brett Buck or Bob Hunt maybe) to save some weight.  I haven't started on it yet, but plan to soon now that we are home from the Nats.

James
AMA 491167

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
Hey, Ty, I was able to meet Jim Lynch with his Volunteer at Brodak's, and watch him fly it...WOW!  What a great flying ship, against some pretty tough competition!  Jim, along with John Simpson and his Cavalier were both VERY MUCH in the battle in expert.  Both super nice gentlemen as well, very willing to
talk about their stunt experiences.  Anyone who believes smaller ships can't compete needs to watch these fellows fly! 
ama 72090

Offline Jim Lynch

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
I know both gentlemen personally. John sold me one of his older Cavaliers and I see Jim at several contests each year. Seeing his "new" Volunteer, made from the prototype/lead kit by Walter Umland, convinced me to build one.  Both have a heavy influence on many in northern Alabama and western Tennessee. Not by design, but we know great flying when we see it.  H^^ y1 #^ y1 y1

Ty,

Thank you for constructing the Volunteer.  I was excited to see your progress and look forward to seeing your completed project.  I have said from the beginning that the Volunteer is one outstanding airplane.  The new power plants have made it even better.  The plane is small but flies big.  I am sure you are going to enjoy.  If I can be of any help, please feel to contact me.

Jim Lynch

Offline Jim Lynch

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »
Hey, Ty, I was able to meet Jim Lynch with his Volunteer at Brodak's, and watch him fly it...WOW!  What a great flying ship, against some pretty tough competition!  Jim, along with John Simpson and his Cavalier were both VERY MUCH in the battle in expert.  Both super nice gentlemen as well, very willing to
talk about their stunt experiences.  Anyone who believes smaller ships can't compete needs to watch these fellows fly! 

Bill,

Thank you for your positive input and kind words about the Volunteer and the Brodak fly in.  The new Volunteers fly even better than the original.  Power plants play a big roll.  As I tell people the Volunteer is a small ship that flies big.  If I can ever be of any help, please free to contact me.

Jim Lynch

Offline Jim Lynch

• 2020 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
Well that &^^%$ cowl has me stumped. It won't build like the plans show. Walter is sending me new parts. I hate cowls to begin with, so they have never been any joy for me. They are the builders version of those ***&^ horizontal square eights.  H^^
However, the rest of the plane is a blast to build, simple and fast.  H^^ y1 #^
OS .46 LA-S engine. Vetoed the ST for this one. D>K

Ty,

Jim said, "if you need any help call him".  See you in Paducah.

Jo Ann

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:43:18 PM »
Well, after seeing Jims "Volunteer", plus another by a fellow modeler, I think I'll hide mine.. Hard to meet perfection.  Jims Volunteer has to be seen in person. It is just a 20 pointer no doubt. Lots of subtle things you don't notice at first look.  y1 #^ H^^
Well, after seeing Ty's "Volunteer" up close and personal, I KNOW I have to hide everything I've built.  (At this point, I have about 8 unflown models, unflown partly 'cause TM would be there and I cannot bear the comparisons.)   :P
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
Ty - WTG!  Simple elegant scheme with nice line work.  GREAT!

Got to hang out with Jim Lynch at the Team Trials.  Had not seen him in some 40 years.  Anyhow, I asked how come his his Volunteer wasn't Univ of Tennesee Orange & Cream.  The short answer was he was from Univ of Memphis...!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 08:19:24 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here