News:

• April 18, 2024, 05:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PJ's vortex fins  (Read 22278 times)

Offline Keith Renecle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
PJ's vortex fins
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:36:36 AM »
Hi All,

I'm still using my Electron stunter to do many tests on my governor/timer system and it's a tad on the heavy side at around 65 oz. It hinges badly in hard corners up here in Johannesburg South Africa in our thin air. Our club is 5000 ft. ASL and my test field on a local sports ground is 6000 ft. If you look at the attached pics, you can see that I used 4 fins on each wing, set up like PJ suggested. I made them from 1.32 ply and just cut slots in the wings and glued them in place with cyano. The model is rather tatty now from all the testing and a few prangs, so I was not too concerned about the finish. The wings are covered in plastic film anyway.

I've been trying in vain to get some good calm weather to test this out, and finally during our Nats this last week-end, we had some calm weather. I can now hit a real hard corner close to the ground without stalling out, or much hinging at all, so I would say that the fins are working. Maybe you don't need them on models that have a lighter wing loading and also a better wing airfoil/flap system like the ones Igor Burger uses, but either way, I am impressed so a BIG THANKS to PJ Rowland for his development on these simple fins. By the way, I placed 1st with the Electron. The fins gave me lots of confidence that I would not hit the deck on the bottom hard turns.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
Re: PJ's vortex fins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:58 AM »
Oops! Here are the pics.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:02 AM »
It is hard to beleive that those little dingys would make that much difference.   But, I guess that the proof is in the pudding.   Congrats on your win.  And if that is a ratty looking plane, I want you to finish mine. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »
I installed them on my Oriental Plus, and they worked with great success as well! Just as you Keith, I was dealing with a plane on the heavy side. It won't cure things but it certainly makes things better. I installed mine with carbon fiber but it works the same. Good luck with them!
Matt Colan

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
It is hard to beleive that those little dingys would make that much difference.   But, I guess that the proof is in the pudding.   Congrats on your win.  And if that is a ratty looking plane, I want you to finish mine. H^^

The little VG on the side of the DC-10 engine provides 10,000 lb. of lift (kinda indirectly, but it does)..
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
Only 4 were employed Keith?

And only towards the root of the wing?

Interesting, (perhaps they might act as a speed governor as well if taken too far.)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »
So if I have a really crappy flying airplane a bigger set will help?What ya think Howard....?.......these vg's are equal to just how crappy this airplane flies...he he he....Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
Jimmy, those moon pie size generators look totally gay.
Steve

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
See...they really do work! They generated a somewhat slanted remark from my flying buddy ........now i'm tempted to glue um on for real Steve!  LOL    Jimmy
AMA 89335

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
That's pretty cool. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »
Works just as good for models in the 62 - 64 Oz range.

Think about this : If a HEAVY model becomes a good performer, imagine what a light model becomes. More on that later.. I dont want people to think this is just a fix for heavy ships.. That is ONE aspect to what they can do.. I prefer to think of it as giving a top line well trimmed model more consistency. This is something Paul Walker goes on and on about. CONSISTENCY. From day to day, trim to trim, site to site - and control input to control input. This is how you get precise.

Its about controlling the airflow, obviously for a heavier model it will make it perform better because you are controlling the airflow and giving the wing " more grip "

I experiemented with them in various locations, amounts - as many as 10 pairs top and bottom, I found that you can reduce it down to only 1 pair - just outside of the prop wash and this is just as effective as having multiple pairs. It came about from consistent flying and having them knocked off - I noticed performance didnt waver - so each subsequent incarnation was reduced. I had one test ship where I went down to only 1 single generator on each wing but found that wasnt really doing anything.

I experiemtned with various sizes, shapes, lengths over a span of 15 years. I even consulted with a company who makes them to spec for full sized aircraft - to keep it in scale from what the full size guys are doing, we would need to make our VG's 2mm long by .5mm high.. This is simply a sliver of carbon.. The size I have designed work well, are easy enough to be applied with tweezers and a steady hand, and are still small enough to be fairly unobtrusive. Go smaller if you feel you can apply them - I have gone as small as 1/2 size you see on my current design - but were a pain to install, people tend not to see them, and they were no more effective.

I think the key is the pidgeon toed approach, having the airflow swirl in opposite directions. Looking at your photo's they are spot on with my previous "how to" Article.

I've also submitted the article to Stunt news and should appear in the coming months.

There is little emperical doubt as to their effectivness for heavier models turning them into solid performers. I dont have much problem with building 62 - 65 oz ships with big modern engines - I still apply them.

As Doug Moon found out on his test Stunt ship - what it does for a top line stunt ship is improve your consistency, each courner is more dependable, more reliable and more accurate. Your not ever worried about having the airflow wash off and bottom out if you bang it harder - or you can leave the turn later and deeper.

When your at the top of an hourglass you still have amazing tail control even with a wind shift. This is where I think they come into their own, on a lighter aircraft that's well trimmed.

I also find models response more linarly to trimming - and are more stable from site to site. Air denisty changes seem to effect it less and less. You still have the issues of getting trim correct but the changes seem minimal.

They are fairly easy to make - I have been playing around with the idea of offering Vortex Generator Kits for sale made out of .0014 Rigit Carbon Fiber, which is what I currently use. These would be made to my specifications for Control line aerobatics and would be supplied in a kit of 10. ( 8 for the model and 2 spares ) With a short how to instruction sheet.

If there is sufficent interest I will offer them for sale - I have helped out a couple of people so far - Just email me if your interested.

I dont bother with recessing them in - with a drop of CA on the top of the Carbon generator they are solid enough to stick. In the past when i've retired planes I've tried to remove them - which isnt easy, you tend to remove copious paint in the process.

I dont put them on during painting or clear becasue its impossible to buff out with them in the way.

About speed control : This is tricky... I dont actually feel they control the speed persay.. If your engine is going to speed up thats controling the overall speed of the ship. They simple control airflow. Now - this is where is might get confusing.. When you pull out of a hard corner, there is still sufficent airflow being generated by the VG's - lots of airflow engery that doesnt dissipate, so the model wont drop out of the sky, and the engine isnt under any strain to make it fly straight. This does translate into a more controlled airspeed.. But its not going to slow you down if your engine isnt set up correctly.

Think of it this way : When you see a bird flying into the wind - stationary but airborn, its a result of sufficent airflow flowing over the birds lifting surface.

With the Vortex Generators, they force the airflow to conform to a swirling Vortex that intrinsically has more energy so takes longer to dissipate. You could have no forward momentum and still be airborn for a moment. This is when you hit a dead air pocket, or you have a sudden rush of wind coming from the reverse direction.

Look at what happened to Doug Moon at the nats - his crash was a direct result of hitting a turbulent "dead" pocket of air, and although had forward thrust - had insufficent lift to remain airborn.

We have all experienced, landing downwind, having the model simply " fall out " of the sky. The Generators prevent many of these issues from occuring.

At the pointy end of competition I find they improve my consistency from flight to flight, and manouver to manouver - I never second guess my control input or wind conditions.

Great to hear you had success with them - Well done.  y1

Still waiting for the New Riff Raff to have them installed............ doug..........

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:22:26 AM by PJ Rowland »
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »

Is it April 1st in Aussieland already?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:44 PM »
I certainly was'nt joking.. I dont think Keith was either.

So no... - Perhaps the "fat" VGS were meant to be a joke but this topic isnt.. not to me anyway.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
 Just havin' a little fun there PJ, couldn't resist the opportunity. :##

This seems pretty darn amazing if it actually does work. I've often wondered about adding the bigger mid-wing vertical fins like is seen on some of the little mini-rc 3-D planes. I could see something like that really helping a plane stay out there during overhead maneuvers, but I suppose level flight in crosswinds would suffer. Maybe something to experiment with though.

Wayne Willey

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »

Pj...I apologize for joking about the VG in your thread...The joke was a pun at my own airplane and how badly it flys...not your most interesting testing.I have 14 stunt ships of which that one is the worst flying.I congratulate keith on his win with his elec ship also not intended to flame his acomplishment...2 of my ships use his gear now.Part of my fun with this hobby is having a good sense of humor especially concerning my own models.    Jimmy

AMA 89335

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
Thats fine - I got the joke reference - the plates looked funny - and I knew what you meant.. Its THAT bad im going to need THIS much help.. hehe made me chuckle.

Warbird :

You mean the T Wing Canalizer as designed and implimented by 4 time F3A Pattern flier Christophe Paysant-le-Roux. Nicknamed the CLPR T wing. - I know it well..

I notice Kenny Steven's run that. I have looked into the theory behind it, Im not sure it applies to what we are trying to do.
I have run that device also - wouldnt be much of an experiementer if i didnt.

As I understand it :  It smooths out destabled air flowing over the top of the fuse, leading into the fin/rudder and is designed to give far more effective smoother rudder authority input, mainly for knife edge, rolls, usually manouvers associated with lots of rudder control.  I have no doubt it works for the Pattern guys, I've spoken to a few who swear by it, which is what peaked my interest.

I just found no noticeable improvement.. - we have very little in the way of rudder controlled manouvers.. beyond possibly improving line tension due to more stable airflow over the fin for a more positive stability - im not sure what Im looking for in its implimentation.

NOW.... having said that.. my opinions are jsut that, and you should really read my above comment as the following :

I found no improvement I could detect on my current setup.

I also tried the Gieseke style Stab plates - several times, and found no noticable improvements.. Now I know PLENTY of guys swear by that also.

I run both Vortex generators and Rush style boost Tabs, - I have plenty of authority and control stability - What I didnt do was run the Plates or the T-wing without any of those supports. Possibly what is happening is a similar airflow control - by using these.

Im sure neither Kenny Stevens or Doug Moon would run something they didnt find helped them in the pattern - they are both regular Top 10 fliers. The key question I wanted answered was - to get Doug during his testing of my generators ( which he thought was impressive ) was to remove the Stab plates and see if he noticed any alteration to control authority - as yet the answer elludes me.

Now : By my own admission - I tried Vortex Generators on the Elevator / Stab - and found no improvement to control authority that I could detect either in any configuration.

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 12:36:51 AM »
Thanks again PJ for the extra info on the VG's. Maybe I'll add them to my new lighter stunter as well. They look so coooool! I have zero doubt that they work especially in our thinner air up here. This plane was a real dog in a hard corner. We had a few rounds in dead air during the Nats as well, and not once did I have the usual hinging problems. I actually reduced my elevator throw in relation to the flaps, so maybe I'll up the throw back to being equal again and see if it still feels good. As it is now, the Electron is a good stunter.......not great..........but just good!

On the "ratty" finish thing, it is really ratty. The photo makes it look better than it should. It looked much nicer when I first built it for the 2008 world champs (see pics below) with a long canopy plus the Snoopy pilot, but it was just too heavy at 1940 grams or 68 oz. I rebuilt the front fuselage (it's a full take-apart model) and managed to knock off 110 grams to make it fly a lot better. It's had a couple of minor prangs and one at an airshow where I knocked off the undercart trying to put it down on a narrow R/C runway. I've also done a lot of testing with my governor timer system and various motors on it, so this tends to make a bit of a mess.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »
I have had quite a few people email me requesting info on the Vortex Generator kits.

I will start to make kits avaliable in the next few weeks - currently im out of stock ( read : Ive sold all the ones I had pre-made ) It will take me a few weeks to remake enough - They are actually 10 in the Kits ( 8 plus 2 spares the configuration is a pair for each wing top and bottom )

Kit will sell for $ 12 shipped to you.

Kits includes :
  • 10 x 0.014 Rigid Carbon fiber Vortex Generators to my current specs
  • Installation template and basic information on location

For those with orders i've explained the delay - I can take more pre-orders but they are just a little time consuming to make each one identical.

pjrowland.family@gmail.com if your interested. Im on about a 3 week delay for getting orders shipped.

Cheers everyone.

Ares with the Carbon Vortex generators installed.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 09:01:35 AM »
Has anyone tried these on a lighter, unflapped plane?  I'm specifically thinking of Fancher's Medic but I have some other sport and old time planes without flaps.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
So if I have a really crappy flying airplane a bigger set will help?What ya think Howard....?.......these vg's are equal to just how crappy this airplane flies...he he he....Jimmy

I'm kinda sorry PJ is upset because, I had some really wicked one liners for this one. Guess I have to cool it.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
Okay, I guess I have to get serious and answer in a mature way. These are the factors governing VG in Stunt.

1.   We fly at 55 MPH
2.   We fly “crabbing” ALL THE TIME.

One the most known uses for VG’s were of course, on the MiG 15, to compensate for inferior aerodynamics. That’s right, that’s what the VG’s were there for. Now remember, this was second generation jets were talking about, and not all of the factors of high speed maneuvering were know.

The fact that you don’t see VG’s on any winning competition stunt jobs is because, NONE of the factors that apply to second-generation fighter jets apply to us. Very simply, good accurate building, with sound proven airfoils\aerodynamics makes VG’s for stunt an academic exercise.

Now of course, someone with a “hot hand” and a ton of practice is going to win something big with a VG equipped stunt ship and, EVERYBODY is going to put them on their ships. Until, they realize it was because, they had a hot hand and a ton of practice!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
Okay, I guess I have to get serious and answer in a mature way. These are the factors governing VG in Stunt.

1.   We fly at 55 MPH
2.   We fly “crabbing” ALL THE TIME.

One the most known uses for VG’s were of course, on the MiG 15, to compensate for inferior aerodynamics. That’s right, that’s what the VG’s were there for. Now remember, this was second generation jets were talking about, and not all of the factors of high speed maneuvering were know.

The fact that you don’t see VG’s on any winning competition stunt jobs is because, NONE of the factors that apply to second-generation fighter jets apply to us. Very simply, good accurate building, with sound proven airfoils\aerodynamics makes VG’s for stunt an academic exercise.

Now of course, someone with a “hot hand” and a ton of practice is going to win something big with a VG equipped stunt ship and, EVERYBODY is going to put them on their ships. Until, they realize it was because, they had a hot hand and a ton of practice!

Hi Milton

I would not be so sure of that, a rethink maybe in line. I was flying in a top contest with several NATs and World Champs, 2 NATs Champs were having problems  similar to the ones  people here are talking about, they taped very tiny .018 round turbulators to the planes on top and bottom and it made a very significant difference  in the lift and turn of the TOP caliber Stuntships they were flying.

Regards
Randy

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
Hi Milton

I would not be so sure of that, a rethink maybe in line. I was flying in a top contest with several NATs and World Champs, 2 NATs Champs were having problems  similar to the ones  people here are talking about, they taped very tiny .018 round turbulators to the planes on top and bottom and it made a very significant difference  in the lift and turn of the TOP caliber Stuntships they were flying.

Regards
Randy

Turbulators, I have seen, as far back as Flushing Meadows. In fact, I think Dave Fitzgerald had something going with Turbulators, on his stab. And of course, competition freeflight is where we most associate them. But, VG’s for winning stunt ships; I would have to defer to you on that.

Hey, you had a Fox 35 on pipe. I'm going to have to chill out. LL~

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:45:30 PM by RandySmith »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 01:23:26 PM »
I have no doubts that VG devices will have an effect on planes at 55 mph, and smaller sizes. Heck the crop dusters I used to work on found that the slow speed handling, and the load capability were both dramatically improved by those little angle blades when put in the right place,,

They also used a little T shaped device on the inboard portions to help straighten the airflow to balance the spray pattern around the fuse. Little things can make a dramatic difference,,
but then like taping the hinge line,, will it always help,, maybe maybe not,, but it certainly is worth serious investigation IMHO
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Eric Viglione

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »
Hey, I didn't know it at the time, but I guess I used to run VG's, but my flying buddy would sit there and keep running his thumb over them while he was launching me. Kept going on and on about sanding down the tape lines better before clear.  LL~  HB~>  :o

Kidding aside PJ... you said that yours are a lot bigger than they need to be, just so you could hold onto and apply them better. My question is, could the VG's be put on as paint? Get a thick vinyl mask cut, put it on the plane, build up some serious paint ridges, pull the mask and instead of sanding the ridges away, shoot some clear, buff it out as-is and go. Or am I missing something here? Maybe the size/length/shape of the VG would need to change, perhaps larger in some fashion to make up for the lack in height.

I dunno... thinking outload mostly here as they say.

Thoughts?

EricV

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »

Im sure neither Kenny Stevens or Doug Moon would run something they didnt find helped them in the pattern - they are both regular Top 10 fliers. The key question I wanted answered was - to get Doug during his testing of my generators ( which he thought was impressive ) was to remove the Stab plates and see if he noticed any alteration to control authority - as yet the answer elludes me.

Now : By my own admission - I tried Vortex Generators on the Elevator / Stab - and found no improvement to control authority that I could detect either in any configuration.

Hello,

I have not removed the stab plates on my plane as they are not removable.  They won’t be coming off. 

I have a friend who has made them removable on his old 96 Bear model and flown without them and said he had to give more input to get the same response.  The tail section on the 96 Bear is around 20%.  Mine was at 18%.  Without the plates Mike's plane was not a very good flier and horrible around the bottoms.  Put them back on and BOOM all is good again.  Fast forward 10 years and our models now use 26% tail sections.  Removing the plates would probably not remove any of the tail power.  But it might remove consistency in the control input and response on days with variable winds ranging from dead calm to windy.  I won’t know as I don’t plan on running without them any time soon. 

I have not placed VG on my new plane yet.  I am not very confident in the installation of them on the new buffed surface.  On my next model I will be building a slot in the wing where they can be installed and removed as need be.  Like a socket has a dimple in and ball snaps them in place.  I am thinking of something along those lines.  The VG will actually be long and travel from the top through the wing to the bottom. This way I can make the installation in the exact spot top and bottom long before there is ever a finished applied.  Then just before clear coat cut away the covering over the whole clear it.  Then later they just slide in place.  Easy to remove as well or replace should one be broken along the way.  I just do not like the idea of sitting down with a template and CA on the top of the finish.  No thanks.  If one should be knocked off and take the clear and paint with it in that area the whole thing is screwed.  I won’t be doing that.  Maybe I will apply them with a dab of silicone,,,hmmmm,,,that might just work.  They would stay on but if knocked they would come off with no damage....

There is something there for sure.  There is an RC company that sells their aerobatic ARFs with them installed prior to receiving the model.  These are not turbulators but the idea of working the laminar airflow is along the same lines.  Something to keep the air sticking to the surface.  In this case it keeps the air on the surface at lower speeds than it would normally without them.  Thus allowing the model to fly at slower speeds with no loss of lift.  This is why the model is more consistent in corners and in landing glide.  The model slows in the corner and the laminar is sticking to the wing better with the VG than it will without it so the lift is present all during the maneuver.  You can drive deeper and corner harder because the plane can slow down more and still have enough lift to exit the corner and not stall.  I think what would really happen is people would tend to fly the same corner it would just look better and more consistent from maneuver to maneuver and flight to flight.  I know I would. 

This isn’t anything new and there are many companies all around who will install them on your full size aircraft in the known areas of the plane that will benefit from such a device.  Most full size single engine personal aircraft see the biggest gains in landing characteristics and control responses when making final approach.  At least that is what I have read in several different areas when I was looking into these little gizmos several years ago.  I never did get as far as PJ has but now that I have tried them it is something I have in future plans. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 02:31:49 PM »
Vortex generators are used to fix specific flow separation problems.  The first application I know of is my homies' on the B-47.  There was a 1950 NACA paper about applying them to a whole wing.  As I remember, they didn't help.  I repeated that experiment with a Jr. Satan, which the VGs also didn't help.   I suspect that any wing that putting VGs in the front of helps would benefit more from a better airfoil, but that's just speculation on my part.  I offered to try VGs to fix some problems on Paul Walker's and Randy Powell's airplanes, but was rebuffed. I'm making VG sets, too. I think they might be useful toward the TE to stick the flow to the flaps in some cases or on the aft fuselage to fix high-frequency yaw wiggles that some stunt planes have. They might be a useful trimming tool if they can be added and removed easily.

"Turbulators" or trip strips probably do something else: to wit, changing laminar flow to turbulent flow in a predictable place.  How taping a wire at 20% chord or so on a stunt plane wing helps is a mystery to me.  On those airfoils I've looked at with XFoil, that transition happens naturally farther forward, at least with any appreciable flap deflection and lift.   Putting them on the stab is a different matter.  I don't think they would help elevator effectiveness, as PJ observed, but they might fix a hunting problem caused by the transition point on the stab wandering around, as Igor wrote about awhile back.  I put a strip of tape on the lower surface of my last plane's stab to fix a (probably imaginary) problem of transition from outside loop to inside loop on the horizontal eights.  I might fiddle with this some more with the new dog, but using some more scientific trip strips.

I saw the T-shaped device on Kenny's airplane.  It looks like one of those antennas on pimp cars.  I think PJ's right about those, too.  It looks like they would serve as a pair of VGs to stick the flow down over the vertical tail at certain angles of attack.  I suspect that there would be an easier-to-paint alternative for any benefit they'd give a CL stunt plane.  
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Kidding aside PJ... you said that yours are a lot bigger than they need to be, just so you could hold onto and apply them better. My question is, could the VG's be put on as paint? Get a thick vinyl mask cut, put it on the plane, build up some serious paint ridges, pull the mask and instead of sanding the ridges away, shoot some clear, buff it out as-is and go. Or am I missing something here? Maybe the size/length/shape of the VG would need to change, perhaps larger in some fashion to make up for the lack in height.

I think that's a good idea.  That's how the wind tunnel guys make trip strips (the more-scientific ones I mentioned above).  VGs, I am told, should be the thickness of the turbulent boundary layer.  XFoil could tell you how thick that is.  I haven't looked to see what it says.  Gary James says it's not very thick.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
What I find interesting is that these generators are 'added' to an already proven design and thus could be a changeable trimming device to suit conditions.

Just like plug in landing gear, could these be made to be interchanged between flights P.J, or even wound in or wound out?)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
OK, I did some XFoil runs on an Impact mac airfoil at flaps 30 for an angle of attack of 10 degrees.  XFoil shows "theta" and "delta*".  Looking at http://www.desktop.aero/appliedaero/blayers/bldefns.html , I presume these to be boundary layer momentum thickness and displacement thickness, respectfully.   Below is the upchuck.  The X axis is distance along the airfoil.  The LE is 0 and the TE is 1.  The Y axis is, I'm pretty sure, fraction of chord. For a 10" chord it looks like delta* on the upper surface is about .02" thick at 25% chord and about .2" thick at 80% chord, about where the flap hinge is. The VGs I made with the 3D printer are .17" high, so they look about right to use in front of the flaps, where I think VGs might be useful.  For the forward location, .02" might be a little thick to do with paint, but should be easy to do with epoxy, which is how the wind tunnel guys make trip strips.   Does this agree with your calculations?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
Yep - thats pretty close to what I was told by the company that makes them.

The real issue comes down to application - and being able to get it sharp enough and installed in the correct area.

Better Airfoil Howard? I've been using a minor variations of the GeoBolt wing and the walker Miss america wing.

Doug hit the nail on the head about the Stab plates : " But it might remove consistency in the control input and response on days with variable winds ranging from dead calm to windy.  I won’t know as I don’t plan on running without them any time soon.   "

This is why I speculate I didnt see any improvement when I ran them. The stability from the VG's over the flap chord is giving me all the above mentioned consistency.

I also tried moving them to 10" forward of the flap Howard - thinking along your lines, but found I lost any deep corner effectiveness. Part of the role they are playing is to energive the boundary layer and give the wing more aerodynamic tread.

I think some of you are loosing sight of the point of running them..

I can take them off and the model flies great - I flew Bob Hunts Electric Crossfire without them it flew great. Modern designs fly great.. What Im doing is from flight to flight - improving the planes ability to track and perform manouvers consitently. - If we flew in constant weather controlled environments Im sure there would be less need for them but we dont.

Wind shift, dead air pockets, thermals, model wake, Pfactors there is alot that is going on to a little wing - we are only applying small amounts of control, and it doesnt take much to effect that.

When guys are routinely taping up between the leadout guides in an attempt to improve stability - thats sayign something about the tiny amounts of improvment to be had.

As far as Installation goes - Doug I can see your point - Its just not something that is ever an issue, think about it from the same perspective as installing hingeline tape.. I remember similar lines of discussion going on - how it shouldnt work, how you should make the hinge gap tighter, some planes dont have them at all. How do we Install those? Simple Scotch tape, over a pre painted, precleared section. Pull if off occasionally can remove paint.

Its a simple solution - Hundreds of guys now swear by it, many dont beleive in it. ( Tape on hinglelines ) I tape up before my first test flight.

" The fact that you don’t see VG’s on any winning competition stunt jobs is because, NONE of the factors that apply to second-generation fighter jets apply to us. Very simply, good accurate building, with sound proven airfoils\aerodynamics makes VG’s for stunt an academic exercise."

Thats what I call a very Naive comment.

The fact is : The opening post was from a guy mentioning how he just won the RSA Nats with them installed.

I think for those who have trialled it would find your comment ammusing, there is ZERO doubt of their effectiveness.

Judging by my inbox there's a MANY who want to trial it also. Like Tuned pipe technology of the 90's or Electric power of today, there is always speculation as to its effectiveness until you trial it and make your own mind up.

Im not please the genie is out of the bottle.

Lets look at another technology I choose to run : Rush-Boost Tabs - Now the only 2 people who run these are myself and Howard Rush.. - Everyone knows Howards technical processes toward theory and implimentation for Stunt design, he is also a regular Top 10 Flier.  This technology there is little doubt to its effectiveness but its not to everyone's liking.
Its all about finding a balance, and finding what works for you. Im surprised not more people have adopted these either.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
For those who emailed me interested in making their own and wanting more information :

I posted a detailed how to here last year, with information on Theory and development design, as well as installation and making your own.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=23110.0

I Just offered the kit for convience, at $ 12 a kit Im hardly going to retire and live in bermuda.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
Yep - thats pretty close to what I was told by the company that makes them.

" The fact that you don’t see VG’s on any winning competition stunt jobs is because, NONE of the factors that apply to second-generation fighter jets apply to us. Very simply, good accurate building, with sound proven airfoils\aerodynamics makes VG’s for stunt an academic exercise."

I think for those who have trialled it would find your comment ammusing, there is ZERO doubt of their effectiveness.

Judging by my inbox there's a MANY who want to trial it also. Like Tuned pipe technology of the 90's or Electric power of today, there is always speculation as to its effectiveness until you trial it and make your own mind up.

/quote]

One of the things I try to do before I answer a thread, is give the initiator of that thread, as much courtesy as I can, by way of reading that thread as much as possible.  I SPECIFICALLY stated that the because of the specific regime we fly in, the issue of physical talent and a lot of practice can obscure the benefit of an aerodymanic device like VG’s.

Howard Rush really started to get into the nitty-gritty of the issue by comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. He cited a much proven contest design like the Impact, which has won numerous high level contests, and was designed with a very high degree of aerodynamic sophistication, ( Paul Walker is a professional engineer) AND a considerable amount of practical contest experience.

Can VG’s signicantly improve the performance of a plane such as this?  Is it possible to isolate the effect of increased practice, or even a change in prop pitch such that, we can DIRECTLY attribute the improved performance to the VG’s, and not the aformentioned factors like you can in full scale planes, in which they certainly and routinely do?

Again, the central issue IMHO, is one of REGIME. What regime are we operating in, as opposed to another flight regime. The regime that WE operate in, tends to reward planes with wing flaps and punish planes without. It tends to reward higher power engines and punish lower power ones.

Since the REGIME we operate in, tends to be so specific and unique, (hand held, circular, maneuvering flight, with long drag producing lines) can boundary layer VG’s provide specific and MEASURABLE improvement within THAT REGIME, and can we isolate and specifically trace that improvement to the devices in question.

In short, can you make a Patternmaster fly better using VG’s.

Most of the top F2B ships were developed and improved over a long period of time; what I call the Porsche method. Why is it that in almost all of the cases of long protracted stunt plane development, VG’s were not part of the final solution?  

There can be no question that control line stunt has seen considerable improvement AND sophistication in airfoils and planforms over the years. Yet, VG’s were not part of that evolution. I personally believe it is because, boundary layer issues were simply not a significant part of the problem needing to be solved.  

A PA65 on pipe in the hands of someone who has been practicing their behind off, is going to make me sweat a whole lot more, than someone with a bunch of little VG’s on the front of their wings.      

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:09:47 PM by proparc »
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Can VG’s signicantly improve the performance of a plane such as this?

Beats me.  I haven't tried them on a real stunt plane.  I'd be inclined to use them to try to fix some perversion in an airplane that couldn't be fixed by normal trim tricks.  It would also be fun to see if they could increase flap effectiveness. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 07:58:29 PM »
 PJ,

In your reply above,

"You mean the T Wing Canalizer as designed and implimented by 4 time F3A Pattern flier Christophe Paysant-le-Roux. Nicknamed the CLPR T wing. - I know it well.."

I think you're describing a fuse mounted "T" shaped thing that has been seen just behind the canopy on some models. Looks almost like a little rollbar or something. I have seen one of those on a C/L Stunter in photos somewhere.

(I tried to find a photo here and couldn't find anything good enough) What I was getting at is an actual vertical fin, comparable in overall size to the fin/rudder assembly on whatever model they would be added to, that is mounted halfway between the fuselage and the wingtip on each wing. Looks like a big vane on the center of each wing.

Wayne Willey

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »
Beats me.  I haven't tried them on a real stunt plane.  I'd be inclined to use them to try to fix some perversion in an airplane that couldn't be fixed by normal trim tricks. 

That is exactly where I would use them. ;)
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
""I'd be inclined to use them to try to fix some perversion in an airplane that couldn't be fixed by normal trim tricks.""

Perversion in a stuntship????  surely  you jest   LL~

We all know that wood, especially balsa is dead stable     ;D   ~^

R

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
"In short, can you make a Patternmaster fly better using VG’s. "

Yes.

Can boundary layer VG’s provide specific and MEASURABLE improvement within THAT REGIME, and can we isolate and specifically trace that improvement to the devices in question.

Yes : I've done Multiple back to back flights - with and without on development planes during the initial phases of developing the technology there is certainly noticeable improvement.

Don't take my word for it : How about Top 5 Nats open flier Doug Moon during his testing had this to say :

"I took my red and white Riff Raff with me today, this is the plane I finished 2nd to Billy with at the 2010 nats."
" I flew the plane once without the VGs attached.  It was very predictable and did all the normal things it does. "
"Next I proceeded to CA on the VG on the top and bottom of the wing. "
" I did several to make sure I wasnt making this up in my head and sure enough it was just cleaner in all corners and legs of that maneuver - All in all I would say there is a REAL improvement there.  It is so much CLEANER all the way through the flight."

I dont know how much more definitive you can get that having a guy who came 2nd at the Nats 2 years ago in Open saying there is a.. and I quote.. "REAL improvement there."

Howard : Improving flap effectivness Im sure is going to be a by-product of having a smoother transitional boundary layer , the flaps therefore become more effective in transferring pressure from Low to High.

The idea benifit is : Exit Speed control. When you exit out of a turn you have traditionally a slowdown period where the model has turned by doenst have any signigant airflow over the wing, you have increased drag therfore momentarily slowed down the speed of the plane - before the engine estalishes forward thrust again.  The electric guys are solving this with a more progressive engine response. The net result feels like the model never slows down.
I make the analogy of being in a car and exiting the corner changing down gear and accererating after you have exited the corner. Instead of Changing down gears, and accerating midway out of the corner.
With VG's you have more traction, in the form of contiuous boundary layer airflow from the spinnin Vortex down the wing. It doest take as much energy from the engine to establish a level flying base again.

I think the killer would be electric guys using this technology, they could run even slower, without fear of having the model slow.. This would yeld a more accurate pattern. Imagine being able to commit to a deeper corner when your doing 6 second laps.. Instead of 5.3.
I hope no serious electric guys trial this before I get a chance to.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »

...there is always speculation as to its effectiveness until you trial it and make your own mind up.

That is a very good statement.

For example, I do not tape my hinge lines.  I have taped many models in the past with only one actually showing any signs of improvement after the tape was applied.  That's just what I have found for me when trimming.  Adding hinge line tape is actually one of the last things I would do when trying to figure out a trim setup.  Just because of my own personal experience with it.  Others see it totally different and as an integral part of the setup.  I am probably in the minority.

There is absolutely no question as to the validity of such devices doing what they are said to do, which is "delay flow separation."  That's it, that's all the do.  With delayed flow separation you can fly just a bit slower and still have lift.  They are placed on the front third of the wing.  This will create steady airflow over the control surfaces at the trailing edge of the wing.  If you place them near the trailing edge they probably wont have a noticeable affect as any flow separation will happen prior to the air getting to the trailing edge of the wing.  If there is no flow separation the control surfaces will be effective as normal.

There are alot of applications for these little gizmos.  You just have to try them out and see for yourself if they will work enough for you to notice an advantage to using such a device.

For me they are in my future and I have figured out a cool way to install them so they would be removable.  I will show pic later.

In the first pic you see a pair of VG installed on a Cessna 182.  Look familiar?

The second pic is a drawing of how it works. 

The third pic is really cool.  It is a wing section in the wind tunnel. The right side has VG on it and you can see the clean straight line of air traveling across the section.  The left side is airfoil only and you can clearly see the turbulence on the left side showing the airflow on that side is not sticking to the wing.  There is no lift in this section.

The fourth pic is an EVO showing you where air is going after it hits the VG at the TE of the roof.

The fifth pic is a good one with the smoke.  I have seen them on the rear of the roof on some mini vans.  The thought being that cleaner air leaving the van will create less of a negative pressure behind the vehicle and allow it to move easier thus creating better gas mileage.  You think my wife will let me put a row of Carbon VGs off of an EVO on the Caravan??  Could be cool!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
Howard : its interesting you mentioned making them so small for the boundary layer.. Perhaps this article can talk a little more about it.

I also find it interesting there was a reference to Porsche development.. Even in F1 technology they routinely use Vortex Generators to control flow seperation.

To talk a little further the following article is a technical paper talking about the development of VG's for installation on the latest mitsubishi evo.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

They are infact signifigantly larger than the ones use in fullsize aviation circles.

Just for the record, during the last 15 years I've read countless official papers and articles on the development of the technology for various uses - and combined it with practical onfield testing. I didnt wake up on day and think.. thats looks like fun.
Albeit much of the Maths is beyond me - I can trial and error and dejuice what works and what doesnt.

I've had them on everything from an Impact to a 4 Engined bomber, Current Geobolt wing, to a Gieseke Nobler.

Each wing reacts the same - Improvement in consitency. All your doing is making a great wing work the way its designed to work, over lots of different scenario's.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
Man Doug... you stole my thunder with the EVO bit! heheh.

That green wind tunnel test is from Wind turbine installation, where they are trying to increase the effectivness of the blade output. Thats also an interesting read..

Non of this is " new technology " and I lay ZERO claim to inventing it.. I put them on a stunt plane - and developed it from there..
The big difference in what I do, and what the majority of Vortex Generator technolgy uses are: I only use 1 Pair for each wing instead of multiples..

I think the idea of having mulitple rows, looks stupid, and is way to difficult to manage. My development led me to getting the benifits of flow seperation control, with as minimal impact to asthetics as possible.

Doug : Our conversations have also forced me to look into more effective ways of Installing them - I think the more people who decide to be creative can change how they are Installed or even designed. I would trial any other method jsut to rate its efficiency. I have some little idea's of my own that I will trial in the next few months.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
Howard : I'd be inclined to use them to try to fix some perversion in an airplane that couldn't be fixed by normal trim tricks.

Doug Moon lost his model at the Nats due to hitting a thermal or a dead pocket of air.. how would you trim that out?

Id be more inclinded to try and fix pilot perversions. :)

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
In short, can you make a Patternmaster fly better using VG’s.

Of course you can.  To think you couldn't is close minded to say the least.  But first you have to know what you are looking for.  If you are trying to fly the model at a lower speed overall then yes VG can and will help the model to fly better.  VGs delay flow separation allowing wings to create lift at lower speeds and or sharper AoA that they wouldn't normally.  To deny this is a reality is to say physics be damned.  But if said Patternmaster has a warped wing then no VGs are not going to fix the problem.  So you statement was really way out of context of the discussion.

Most of the top F2B ships were developed and improved over a long period of time; what I call the Porsche method. Why is it that in almost all of the cases of long protracted stunt plane development, VG’s were not part of the final solution?  

There can be no question that control line stunt has seen considerable improvement AND sophistication in airfoils and planforms over the years. Yet, VG’s were not part of that evolution. I personally believe it is because, boundary layer issues were simply not a significant part of the problem needing to be solved.  

A PA65 on pipe in the hands of someone who has been practicing their behind off, is going to make sweat a whole lot more, than someone with a bunch of little VG’s on the front of their wings.  

Final solution.  I was unaware there was a final solution in stunt that will give us all the perfect pattern every time.  There is not a final solution.  In stunt there never will be.  

Boundary layer issues are always part of the problem and have been since the beginning of manned flight.  Stalling is and will always be the worst thing anyone can have happen.  Why do you think stunters have gone to rounded blunt airfoil over the years?  The answer is point of separation.  A sharp LE will stall at higher speed than a rounded LE.  Stalling is a separation of air from the wing and no more lift is created.  The control surfaces are no longer effective.  

One of the reasons you may not see these on stunt planes is people tend to fly fast enough where it is not a factor.  5.0 lap times on a medium weight model with a blunt LE are not going to encounter separation problems in just about 99% of the situations they encounter.

If the overall goal was to fly as slow as possible and keep the plane in the air then I would think you would see many planes equipped with these devices.  Flying slow is my preference so I will be using these in future as there is a real gain.  Especially on hot still days just the day I tested them on my Riff Raff.

I also suspect you dont see these as practical installation is not available and they can be in the way and if there are knocked off the whole flight characteristics will change it could cause more problems.  

But to say that since the stunt guys before us havent used them they have no validity is nonsense.  Following your logic we would still be flying noblers and fox 35s.  The pipes and 4 strokes would have never come over and electric...now you would be talking blasphemy.        
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
Howard : its interesting you mentioned making them so small for the boundary layer.. Perhaps this article can talk a little more about it.

That article said that they were the thickness of the boundary layer.  The boundary layer at the front of a stunt wing is much thinner than on the back of a car, if I interpret the XFoil stuff correctly.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »
Howard : Improving flap effectivness Im sure is going to be a by-product of having a smoother transitional boundary layer , the flaps therefore become more effective in transferring pressure from Low to High.

Huh?  You must be a pilot.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »
I think the idea of having mulitple rows, looks stupid, and is way to difficult to manage.

Having one's airplane look nonstupid is indeed an important consideration for stunt.  I have a way to manage them.  I'll send you a set.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
VGs delay flow separation allowing wings to create lift at lower speeds and or sharper AoA that they wouldn't normally.  To deny this is a reality is to say physics be damned.       

I presume you mean greater (blunter) AOA than they would normally.  I doubt that it is a reality in all cases, but I reserve the right to cuss physics. 

...electric...now you would be talking blasphemy. 

Electric is blasphemy, but as long as we're damning things, I'm going electric. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »
Howard: What I mean is the point of flaps is to do nothing more than improve the camber of the airfoil, during a high transition turn. To increase lift by increasing the camber, thus increasing the Air pressures.

To improve the "effectiveness" of the flap you really saying, when I deflect the flap I want more improvement, we try to acheive this with rigid flaps ( Which you and I both do with Carbon tubes ) We are trying to reduce the flex associated with higher pressures so the flap doesnt flatten out and reduce its effectiveness.

Al rabe has been trying this for along time, I think most guys know the benfiit of a stiffer flap. Unless you make them TOO stiff...

My limited understanding of aerodynamics, when you have a flap that is in turblulent air, the amount of pressure change - or the effectivness of its deflection is reduced. To have good airpressure you need stable airflow. - We have been moving toward smaller and smaller flaps. The more airflow ( airspeed ) you have, the more lift is generated.

There really is 2 ways to think about it.

Raw Lift from the wing Vs flap effectiveness to increase lift.

I trialed them about 10% forward of the Flap near the T/A and found no improvement in lift or turning capactity, Which from a theortetical point of view probably sounds weird. Im sure at some level they are improving the effectiveness of the airflow around the flap but doing nothing to improve lift of the wing. ( that I can detect inflight anyway )

However... this isnt really what we are trying to acheive with running flaps in the first place.
Flaps primarily increases the camber or curvature of the wing airfoil raising the maximum lift coefficient - or the lift a specific wing section may generate.

I think the reason why they dont work 10% of the T/A is that your only increasing the amount of avalible airflow over a very small section of the wing - if you think about the role of the flap as actually part of the airfoil as a total.

When you run VG's - I like to position them at the point of airflow transition - or as close to the Highpoint - or as close to the highpoint as I can manage. Your allowing the airflow to stick to a greater section of the wing before it seperates to move down the rear section of of the wing thus when you increase the camber of the wing ( flap deflection ) you have that airflow specific pressure being applied to the entire wing. Not jsut a small section such as the flap itself.

- I cannot emphasis enough how little aerodynamic experience / theory I have - Only trialling many thousands of flights in various configurations and trying to extrapolate various reasons as to why I feel certain things at the handel and what I see with my little peepers.

Combined with reading many papers on the subject. I humbly bow to do guys like Brett, Paul ,Ted, Dave and Howard and many many others who speak words I cannot pronounce.

Due to this limited understanding I have to try to compete using another methods - Trial and error over theory which I dont understand. Thousdands of flights, many different aircraft - I've also flown many other people's planes - so I know what I feel, and I know what I see.

I also systematically tested them in almost every possible configuration..
From 10% of the leading edge all the way down to 10% forward of the flap.

On the flap - on the fuse, on the stab, on the elvators, in the middle of the wing in a diagonal step back from highpoint down to the flap of the tip, in reverse order, multiple pairs behind eachother, in the middle of the wing only, multiple sets.. ( The wing looked aweful once I finished.. )

I evetually settled on near the highpoint giving me the best results. Too close to the Root, reduced its effectiveness, due to propwash ( I think.. ) Moving them out of the prop wash gave me the best results.
Having a set at the Tip and a set of out of the prop wash was also good, however when I removed the set at the tip, there was ZERO detectable reduction in what I felt. SO I continued with this setup ever since.

As recently as 2 years ago I did more experiments when I went to the .81 for power, My results mirrored my earlier tests.

One weird test was having them on the Top of the wing only.. Needless to say Inside and outside manouvers were scary !

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
For Doug Moon, (It's easier for me to reference your name than punch out the quotes). Stunt ships have not reached their limits in terms of development. But, we have reached the point of diminishing returns because of, butting up against our rules, and our flight Regime, (here’s that word again). That is, we are putting in more and more, and getting less and less. This is what makes a Shark 45 with a good sixty, in the hands of a guy who practices regularly, still so deadly. This is why Richard Kornmeier can still clean your clock.  

I never questioned the issue of VG effectiveness. In fact, I specifically cited their routine use in full-scale planes. What I did do, was specifically question their effectiveness in OUR flight Regime.

It is important to differentiate individual instance improvement, as opposed to broad based improvements. Our development, did not take the path of mitigating boundary loss. We went to thicker and thicker sections, to gain more and more lift. This was the simplest, most logical, and most COMPETITIVELY effective path to go.

To deal with the drastically increased maneuvering drag these sections created, we went to higher and higher horsepower powerplants. We had to somehow control these new monsters. Ted Fancher and others, busted out the higher T.V.C.’s  This pretty much tamed the beast.  These changes were virtually across the board. Significant deviations from this path were seen in planes like Bill Werewage’s Geo-smaller motors very thin sections. But for the most part, the die was cast.

As to the issue of flight speed. A virtual revolution in our event did take place, addressing this issue. But it DID NOT come by way of boundary layer control. It came by way of the prop. That’s right, it was the prop that really altered the game as far as flight speed. Very low pitch props turning stinking fast. Low gear all the time.

As to the issue of us not using VG’s because they are difficult to install and therefore not practical. Are you telling me that cats like Al Rabe, Paul Walker, Ted Fancher, Windy Urtnowski, David Fitzgerald, Han Ping, Frank McMillan, Jimmie Casale, Brett Buck, Gene Schaeffer, Keith Trostle, Bob Lampione, Bob Hunt, the Beringers, Randy Smith, (he’s got a Fox 35 on pipe) Kaz Minato, can’t stick a bunch of little pieces of wood on their planes!!!

Now we get to it. Can devices like VG’s improve the performance of OUR ships. Yes, but not as long as OUR rules remain the same. Not as long as we have to operate in the same flight regime as we do now.    

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
In fact : Remi Berringer did have on his 2004 World Champs model a variation in VG technology. He used small V cut strips of mylar film all the way along 15% of the L/E...
We had a few conversations about Boundary layer control at that contest. He felt an improvement also - and was interested in what I was doing.

As to the Shark with a good 60 being competitive - I had my Gieseke Nobler at the Nats with a .61 and made Top 20, the issue becomes the performance window, even with Vg's installed and a very high power to weight ratio - I could not put it where it needed to go to really get high scores.

To quote Paul Walker when he helped critque me during that contest " Your really getting everything you can get out of that little thing aren't you "

Your up against lots of development in aerodynamics and there is NO DOUBT in my mind a classic plane would ever win a Nats today. I dont care WHO is flying it.

I saw Paul Walker flying his electric at the Nats and it was phenominal, simply the most aggressive corner I have ever seen - a real eye opener, you wont get close to that with anything that is Classic, no matter what.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here