News:

• April 19, 2024, 06:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 56 : First Test Flight  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Robin_Holden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Saito 56 : First Test Flight
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Greetings all from a very warm Charente.

Thought I'd post this as some colleagues have had problems with the factory C/L Saito 56.

Mine was a very late production model which I bought from the UK only a few months ago. The importer had decided to stop distributing Saito C/L engines and I was lucky enough to get one of the very last two example  !

After my usual long winded running - in process I have had only two test flights so far. The first one was very 'average' [ wrong prop' etc ] and I had problems with control surface vibration.[ my stupid fault ].

This afternoon I went out with the following set-up :

13x6 prop' of Chinese origin . [ Hobbyking of Hong Kong , a very reliable outfit ! ].
20% total lube [ 18% synthetic with 2% added castor ]
5% only nitro.
No muffler pressure . [ I tried muffler pressure but the Saito wouldn't settle into a steady setting ! ].
Venturi insert had been REMOVED during running-in.

She easily was adjusted at 2 and a half open on the needle , holding a rock steady 8,400 which gave me around 5.3 second laps on my 65' lines.

Happy days  !

I've read a lot about problems with the factory Saito c/l version but perhaps I'm just lucky ?

I'll probably adjust the needle one more notch next time but that'll be it.

Hope this helps ,

Robin [ ex-pat Brit' in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits' ] 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Saito 56 : First Test Flight
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »
Hi Robin,

Glad to hear it is working so well for you.  I have a Saito .72 factory C/L that I will be playing with in a few months.  I hope it also works out so nicely.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
Thanks for that Bill.

I forgot to mention , I was using  Brodak [ God bless John by the way  ! ] metal Uniflow tank.

Robin.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »
Oh no, Robin!  You just made a big mistake.  You simply can't report a successful 4-stroke run with a uniflow tank.  You will be given about 150 reasons why that cannot possibly work.   ::)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:39:51 AM »
Oh no, Robin!  You just made a big mistake.  You simply can't report a successful 4-stroke run with a uniflow tank.  You will be given about 150 reasons why that cannot possibly work.   ::)

Just a matter of what level you are flying at.. If you are flying Advanced (or above) against piped PAs and top preforming electrics, traveling from Pennsylvania to Texas you must have a set up that can run consistently flight after flight head to head with the best. Robyn had one flight he was happy with, just a matter of time he will be back asking why something isn't working the same as it did last time he flew the airplane. That is when I'll try to help point him in the right direction.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 03:08:47 PM »
Bob Reeves is dead-on.

Bob Whitely said it, "I look for solutions that work all the time". While I won't state my setup-it never misses. I look for setups that never miss!! The setup I used on my 2 strokes is different than what I use on my 4 strokes. But, I don't care. As long as the setup doesn't miss.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here