News:

• April 16, 2024, 05:51:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any Reports on the Pentastar?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Michael Massey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Any Reports on the Pentastar?
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:30:24 PM »
I have been looking at the pictures of the RSM Pentastar kit thinking that could be my next "contest" plane.  Anyone flying it?  Any feedback on the kit, building or flying?

Tx.

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Any Reports on the Pentastar?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
Design by Lou Wolgast.  Past NATS champ in different stunt events as well as local contests.  Might contact him for any ideas he might have on improving the plane, if that is possible.. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
Hey Mike, if you ever saw Lou fly it   :o  you would have no doubts as to its capabilities. A top level stunt plane by any measure IMHO.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »
I saw Lou fly it. Beautiful plane and does an excellent pattern. The one I saw was powered by an ST60.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
It's one of the more impressive and beautiful stunt planes IMO. Lou is a great pilot (particularly when he turns his hat around backwards) and a great modeler.

L.

PS - and Lou is a Mopar guy, in case you hadn't noticed.. ;->

PPS - and Lou's famous Mirage is another interesting stunter.

"I find that the further I go back, the better things were, whether they happened or not." -Mark Twain
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »
Mike,

Lou also designed a model called "FURY" that is also Classic Eligible. Twin squarish fins, medium-size model. New Jersey/1960s style.

His latest FURY has a fantastic finish in bright red.

The Pentastar is everything the other guys mention, too.   
\BEST\LOU

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »
Thank you all for the "reinforcement."  I like the way the plane looks and your feedback has helped me decide on that as the next project.

I am just now "assembling" my Shark 45.  I am building it from an old Jetco kit and plans, using the old stuff as templates.  The wing, tail assembly and fuse crutch, cowl, formers, and sides are done.  I just glued the wing in today.  By next week I will probably have the plane ready for sanding...sanding...sanding...sanding...  you know.  After that the finish and ready to go.  So on to the Pentastar in a month or so.

Tx again to all.

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
Michael,
I too have been eyeing this one. Which size are you going to build, the  654 sq. in. (.46 Version) or 693 sq. in. (.61 Version)?
AMA 60591

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
Probably the larger since I have a newEvo 60 just waiting to be run. I will, however, say that I really like the LA 46 so there could always be a last minute change of mind.

By the by, nice to meet you at Puyallup.

Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Offline Doug Knoyle

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 12:44:21 AM »
Probably the larger since I have a newEvo 60 just waiting to be run. I will, however, say that I really like the LA 46 so there could always be a last minute change of mind.

By the by, nice to meet you at Puyallup.

Mike

...and a great pleasure meeting you.  Are you going to make the Western Canadian CL Championships (Aug 4,5) ?  If not, hope to see you at the Lucky Hand Fun Fly, Bill Riegel Model Airpark at Salem Airport, Salem, Ore (July 7) or The Dick Scobie Memorial (August 18, 19).
AMA 60591

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »
The Pentastar is a terriffic stunter and I'm surprised we don't see more of them around.
Lou Wolgast, the designer, is one of the nicest Gentlemen onyone could ever meet.  A good fried to have and an excellent stunt flier.  I've never heard a bad word uttered about him and that's something in this crowd??? uhhh only kidding!
The Pentastar has aerodynamics similar to the Geo XL by Werwage, but most think it presents a little better, and the Fuselage mounted gear is a little better for average flying field conditions. 
At any rate you could not go wrong by building one of these, and it isn't just another Nobler.  y1
It doesn't hurt to keep it light!

Randy C.
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
Hi Doug,

Not sure what upcoming events I will make.  I have to plan a motorcycle trip, take my wife to the Bay area (Calif.) to see her friends and kids, trim and work our engine run/prop issues with a couple of planes, one of which is a  Shark 45 that I built for Classic.  (I have a K&B 61 with a Mac muffler.  With a 12 x 5 wood prop it was turning 3.9 laps.  Have to figure the muffler (act like pipe???) issue because I want to get that plane flying well.)

In the mean time, I am building a fishing pole for my neighbor who is kind enough to take me Salmon fishing.  Oh...and a few fishing excursions as well.

See Ya,  Mike
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Advertise Here
Tags: RSM  Pentastar 

Advertise Here