News:

• April 16, 2024, 12:40:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2011 Charlie Melancon Mem. Stunt Championship- Oct 15- 16th, Baton Rouge, La  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
    This is a reminder about the Baton Rouge contest on Oct. 15 and 16th at Independence Park. The full flyer is in the "events section" in the middle of page 2 on this forum. In addition, a full contest flyer is also on the Dallas Model Aircraft Association website (www.dmaa-1902.org) under DMAA Calendar and under Contest Flyers, and also listed at Stuka Stunt under events. However, the most up to date flyer is at this site "Stunt Hanger". It was up dated today with more pertinent information. I figured I would mention the contest in the open forum section because it might be easily overlooked and forgotten buried so deep in the "Event Section". This is a very nice contest at a very nice time of the year. Looking forward to seeing many of our fellow intrepid fliers there.
     Godspeed,
                    Doug Patterson   

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Can't pick it out from Google Earth, do you have a street address or GPS numbers.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter

Thanks for the inquiry Jim. I did have the GPS coordinates at one time but have misplaced them. The address for Independence Park is 7500 Independence Blvd, Baton Rouge, La.70806.However, this address applies to the park office and the whole complex in general. A better address is the Liberty Lagoon Water Park address which is --- 111 Lobdell Ave, Baton Rouge, La. 70806. The water park is part of the Independence Park complex. It is located directly Nth of the Independence Park office about 1/4 mi. The water park went into service this year, so it is a new addition( IT IS CLOSED NOW UNTIL NEXT SEASON-HALLELUJAH!).
     Our flying circles are located directly East of the water park. In fact, our flying site butts up against the water park's East boundary fencing. There is a narrow service road you enter from Lobdell Ave. on the Nth side of the water park/ rear of the water park. On one side of the narrow service road is the rear of the water park and on the other side of the road is a Chevron station. The Chevron station is located on the corner of Florida Blvd.(Hwy 190) and Lobdell Ave. Go down the service road until you see the flying circles just past the trees on the right side- approx. (100 yds.). We have a full concrete circle and a partial concrete circle, both regulation size and a flat all grass practice field to the Sth of the (2) official fields.
     Depending on the amount of entries we will utilize both circles more than in the past. Sat. the profile event will fly (BIA)from the partial concrete circle while OTS AND Expert Profile will be flown from the full concrete circle concurrently. Those flying in both events will be accommodated. For those flying both events we will have them fly both their rounds in OTS first, then fly their profile event. The ground on the partial concrete circle has had some filling and leveling done and takeoffs and landings are OK. The grass will be cut very short for the contest.
     ****  Sunday- Precision Aerobatics  (BIAE) will be flown. (B,I) Will be flown on the partial circle and (Advance,  Expert) will be flown on the full concrete circle.
     You will probably be heading West down I-12 as you come into the Baton Rouge area. To get to the flying site you will exit (Rt) onto (Hwy 61/N)-There will be a Holiday Inn  at this exit. Travel down Hwy 61 about (2-1/4 mi.) and exit immediately (Rt) after going over the overpass to Florida Blvd. (Hwy 190 west)- Should be heading West toward Miss. River. Once on Florida Blvd-(** Get in left lane as soon as you can) I believe it is about (1 mi.) to Lobdell Blvd. you will turn (Left) onto Lobdell. Chevron station is on the corner.
     You will proceed down Lobdell Ave. in left lane about (1) block (Liberty Lagoon Water Park) is on your immediate left and make a (Left U-Turn) in front of entrance to water park parking lot. Go back up Lobdell Ave and turn (RIGHT) ONTO SERVICE ROAD TO REAR OF WATER PARK (about 1 block).  Flying site about  (100 or so yds.) down road on right. We have a nice parking lot just west of circles. About the (U-TURN) ON Lobdell. It is legal. Hope you are able to make it and bring Curtiss Shipp with you. Everybody enjoyed Curtiss's company so much last year .
     Oh! Oh! Jim I just pulled up the satellite view of the flying site on Google. The view is not current-the one shown was during the water park construction. The whole area around our fields have been cleaned up and manicured.  
      Godspeed,
                    Doug P.          

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:52:37 PM by Joseph Patterson »

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Whoops!
Wrong site for posting! LL~
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:41:59 PM by W.D. Roland »
David Roland

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Got it, Doug. Thanks.

Curtis was in rare form this past weekend at our wing-ding, he claims he is so busy making $$ that he doesn't have time to fly ::).

We had a couple of guests from your part of the swamp, too; Allan Perett and some guy named Andy Stokey ;D.

It was Allan's first visit; Andy has honored us with his presence on several occasions. Both fun guys to spend time with.

Regards,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
  I was suppose to be up there with Allan and Andy, but my family decided to celibrate Mom's birthday that weekend because it was the only time we could get everybody together. Lord willing I will be up there next year.
         Doug   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Just did a search on Yahoo maps from my house to the 111 lobdell ave address.  Once I got it located, I clicked on satellite and it shows everything, including the paved circle.  You guys have fun and don't for get the pictures. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
   Thanks Mr. John. We usually have a great time. We hope and pray we have good weather and everyone coming has a safe trip.
       Doug

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
   Like Doug say's "This ain't the Price is Right, but come on down anyway"...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
  • AMA 753063 / Advanced Stunt Flyer Finally
Gil, I am going to try to make the contest. I heard that we will be going to a different chowhall saturday night, hot damn good food. I am not sure if wife is up to the late night drive friday. I will be flying my Tom Morris built Cavalier with a new Eliminator Prop. It seems to make things go better in the pattern for me. Hope to see everybody saturday AM.
Life is to short to be sour.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
   Curtiss, if you make the trip Fri. night and are going to fly events Sat. I can preregister you for whatever event/s you'll fly so you can show up later in the morning. We are flying OTS and Profile simultaneously starting at 9:00am. It will take a least 3-1/2 hrs. to complete. Just arrive before they are officially over. Hopefully we will be through around noon or a little after. We will serve Jambalaya   and creole white beans around noon.
        Godspeed,
                      Doug

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
Will Classic / N30 be flown? If so put me down for Profile and Classic. I will fly Advanced on sunday. I will bring 2 planes just in case. Thanks from Curtis Shipp AKA Rube Goldberg.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
   Curtis we are having Profile / Old Time Stunt on Sat., and PA. ON Sun. Next year we may add Classic/N30 Stunt to the contest. You can find a full Contest flyer on page (2) of the events section of this forum. Looking forward to seeing yawl again.
          Doug

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
Got it.  Will drive in close friday night and finish early sat AM. Put me down for profile. I can pull test and fly 1st rd straight from the truck. I am ready. LL~

Mike Griffin

Gil, I am going to try to make the contest. I heard that we will be going to a different chowhall saturday night, hot damn good food. I am not sure if wife is up to the late night drive friday. I will be flying my Tom Morris built Cavalier with a new Eliminator Prop. It seems to make things go better in the pattern for me. Hope to see everybody saturday AM.

You lucky dog Curtis.  You get to see me.  HAHAHAHAHAH   Hope you can come...look forward to seeing you again....

Mike G.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
    Alright Curtis, got you covered on Sat.
            Doug

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
We have a problem. My wife saw the weather forecast for Baton Rouge and heard about the restaurant. Now she wants to come down. So please every body watch out, she will be asleep in the lounger just like last year. Good weather, good food and good company will do it to her every time. Z@@ZZZ

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
We have a problem. My wife saw the weather forecast for Baton Rouge and heard about the restaurant. Now she wants to come down. So please every body watch out, she will be asleep in the lounger just like last year. Good weather, good food and good company will do it to her every time. Z@@ZZZ
Hey Curtis, you bringing that Dreadnought.  I want to see it fly.  What motor does it have ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
I will probably bring it. PA 65 on pipe up front. A loose nut on the end of the lines.  ~>

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
I will probably bring it. PA 65 on pipe up front. A loose nut on the end of the lines.  ~>
Thats for sure.
Pipe is suppose to be in the back.
LL~
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Wish I could make it. Maybe next year. I hope that all have a good time.

Curtiss, that restaurant is a fun place to go to.
AMA 7544

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
Well everybody is trying to stop me from coming down. I had a phone call and now we will be doing a rush repair on a 100 ton crane friday for a steel mill. But we should be done by 3:00 pm so I will be there. This is life at my shop. What ever I plan gets messed up. I was planning on getting ready for Clanton 1 week before the contest and ended up working 8 days straight and  driving at night to Memphis to deliver the parts.  I packed and went to the contest on friday afternoon and had a great time, only flew 4 times. Best weekend I have had in a long time. Hope this weekend is as good. #^

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
  Well Curtis the weather is suppose to be good, with very little wind, but it seems like every contest from Alabama to Texas this year had beautiful weather, but high turbulent winds. I hope that is not the case in Baton Rouge. It is usually calm here, sometimes too calm in early to mid Oct. , but I really believe DVIII fliers would welcome some very light breezes now.
       Godspeed,
                     Doug

Offline Curtis Shipp

• Commander
Curtis Shipp has left the building at 4:25 PM. I will be there. So much work so little time. I am tired. n~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here