News:

• March 19, 2024, 01:18:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie question  (Read 43835 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie question
« on: September 07, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I am trying to figure out how many channels/commands, the system can send. Having never used an electronic solution(using a three-wire throttle is a challenge for me!), I am completely lost in what's possible. Am I going to need a receiver? what about batteries inside the plane? I am clueless.

Can you please lay it out for me what it would take to have seven channels in a scale model. What do I need to purchase?

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
Steven:

Clancy has been on an Alaska vacation for the last couple of weeks. I will try to answer some of your questions, but I am sure that Clancy will respond with more expertise than I.

Clancy's system gives you an encoder for use at the flying handle. That unit sends a signal through insulated flying wires (wires not provided by Clancy). Then Clancy provides a decoder (the receiver that you asked about) with the system to be mounted in the airplane. It also connects to the flying wires and interprets the signal for the servo or electronic speed controller (ESC) if you are flying all electric. Clancy uses a servo for throttle on his fueled airplanes. I use an ESC control for the electric motors in my airplanes. Yes, you will need a battery (4.8 V or so) on the airplane to power the decoder and servos. That is, unless you are using an ESC. In most cases, connecting the decoder to the ESC provides power to the unit. There are some exceptions to this (for example, when the ESC might be optically isolated).

I believe that Clancy is still making a seven channel unit. I bought one from him and have yet to incorporate it. I will, but I also have two of his four channel units that are doing the job for me. For example I am using his four channel unit in a scale Beechcraft C45. It is doing throttle, retracts and flaps with one channel left over.

I hope this helps. By all means, make sure you get in touch with Clancy.

Jim Fruit

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »
Steve

My U/Tronics Control 7 channel unit can control seven different servos or ESC's independently.  With the mechanical control of  the elevator you have up to 8 total functions available.  I sell units for 1, 4, 5 or 7 Channels

I have attached a drawing of a complete 4 channel system ready to operate with two proportional and two switch controlled functions.  As you can see it only requires a 10 K ohm Potentiometer (Rotary or slide) for a proportional channel and a 10 K ohm resistor and a Single Pole, Single Throw Switch for a simple function like a bomb drop.  Note that one side of each control must be connected to the White Wire and the other side of the control is connnected to a Channel Color Wire.  Any unused Channel Color Wires must be connected to the White wire.

The handle needs the Encoder module, a 9 volt battery, an On/Off Switch plus the function controls.  The Orange and Gray wires go to a connector that will connect your Encoder to the flying lines.  The handle cannot short the flying lines together.

In the model it requires, besides the Servos (Analog, Not Digital) the Decoder Module and a 4.8 Volt Battery Pack and an On/Off Switch.  The Orange and Gay wires need to be extended to the wing tip to connect to your flying lines.  

The Connectors at both ends of your flying lines need to be polarized so that your units are always connected Orange to Orange and Gray to Gray through your flying lines.  I personally use Sub Miniature Ear Phone jacks and plugs to connect from my flying lines to the model and handle.

A non conductive bellcrank is required or an insulator in one of the leadouts inside the wing.  Servo extender cables may be required to reach some of the servos in your model.

Clancy
Thanks Jim
Your information is correct.  We got home from Alaska Sunday afternoon.
CCA
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Thank you very much for the explanation! I think I am starting to understand. How about 7-channel? How does it change the diagram? Is it a separate unit?

My apologies as I am asking things I am not familiar with. A fellow F4B builder from Israel, who doesn't understand English very well, has asked me to inquire about a 7-channel system for his new model.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Steve
The drawing was done as a 4 channel for clarity.  The only difference you can see between a 4 Channel Encoder and a 7 channel Encoder are the 3 additional Channel Color Wires White Yellow, White Green and White Blue.  The differrences between the 4 channel Decoder and a 7 channel Decoder are the three aditional servo connector cables that are color coded White Yellow, White Green and White Blue.
Clancy

Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control

Offline Danny Fenton

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:38:18 AM »
Hi Clancy, sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I have not spotted it anyway. How do we go about getting hold of your U/Tronics kit? Have you an online shop etc??
I live in the UK

Cheers
Danny

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
To answer Danny's question:

The easiest way is by Email,  clancyarnold@juno.com or Phone, 317-387-1940

Or by mail: Clancy Arnold
                 7174 Eagle Cove South Drive
                 Indianapolis, IN 46254

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
U/Tronics Control