News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inverted Saitos  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Inverted Saitos
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »
What are the oiling issues and any fuel feed problems with an inverted Saito .40?
I have Brodak's new Corsair which is an inverted engine installation. I don't want to disrupt the verticle CG by mounting the engine upright and a sidewinder config. would require redesign of the firewall/ mount, however I do like Bob Reeve's configurations of his Saitos.
Do you think I would need to drill small bleed holes in the rocker covers for drainage? I would think they would act as sumps over time. This is a future winter project.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Inverted Saitos
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »
Doug - I have run SAITO engines in every configuration with no modifications and no problems. In general, they seem to run best side-mounted.

Bob Z.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:35:26 AM »
Haven't actually looked at a kit but from the photo it would be fairly easy to change it to a side mount. Depending on how it's designed I would either replace the hardwood engine bearers with hard balsa and cut them off at the front of the firewall or eliminate them altogether. If the firewall is 1/8 plywood, make a duplicate to end up with a 1/4 inch thick firewall and use an RC engine mount turned on it's side. Is the cowl built up from balsa or a preformed part with a cutout for the engine already cut. In either case it wouldn't be too difficult to get the cutout in the right place.

That is what I would do simply because I am completely convinced they do run better side mounted and feel it's worth the trouble, however many have ran 4 strokes inverted and seem to be happy. You just have to make a decision, is it worth the trouble for you?

I wouldn't worry about the vert CG nor would I even think about modifying anything on the Saito but the intake..

I do think the Saito 40 is an excellent choice for that airplane..

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
Just remember, the carb is reverse from a 2 stroke so, it is easier to flood it. As to the actual run characteristic, no difference-a zillion RC Saitos will attest to that.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
They all run em inverted in Aus . 56s , 72s , etc .

Turn through backwards to clear wet cylinder to avoid hydraylic lock .
I think Berringer used to lube the cam gar set preflight ?

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »
I have Brodak's new Corsair which is an inverted engine installation. I don't want to disrupt the verticle CG by mounting the engine upright and a sidewinder config. would require redesign of the firewall/ mount, however I do like Bob Reeve's configurations of his Saitos.

It would seem that the prototype was indeed using a side  mounted engine in a profile fuselage so it can't be that bad to do the same with a four stroke.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Yr0EoUPbH5oJ:stunthanger.com/smf/index.php%3Ftopic%3D5267.0+/search%3Fhl%3Den%26site%3Dwebhp%26q%3D%2Bsite:stunthanger.com%2BBrodak%2527s%2B%2BCorsair&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&source=www.google.com
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here