News:

• March 19, 2024, 12:16:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FAI Super SolutionClancy:  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Jim Fruit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
FAI Super SolutionClancy:
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »
Clancy:

I am just about finished with the installation of the electronics in my Solution. I am using one of your four channel units. As is typical, it works just great. It is different than the installation in my Luscombe Phantom in that (as I described to you before) the ESC is optically isolated. Therefore, I am using a separate power source (4.8 V Nicad) for your decoder. I have added a switch/charging jack between your decoder and the Nicad. There is, of course, a switch at the handle between the encoder and the 9V. I thought about adding a switch on the 22.2V for the power for the motor, but decided to go for a simple disconnect instead. It makes for a cleaner installation. I once asked Charlie Bauer about a main power switch and he responded that the guys were using a disconnect in lieu of a switch.

Anyway, the system works great. I connect the main power and nothing happens except the ESC acknowledges the connection. I then turn on both switches and again get an acknowledgment from the ESC. Still nothing happens until I raise the throttle pot up off of stop speed. Then it is fully proportional. Don't know why, but I had to reverse two of the power wires at the motor to correct rotation. I ran a few tests by seeing what would happen if I turned off either switch while the motor was running. I had the motor running approximately half speed. I turned off both switches, one at a time. In both cases, the motor continued running for approximately 3 to 4 seconds and then shut down. All in all, a very safe and properly operating system. And, it does not care if it gets the power from an ESC or a separate battery - it simply doesn't matter. A very well thought out and functioning system. Thank you, Clancy, for making my transition to all electric easier. You have been a tremendous help.

Jim Fruit

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Re: FAI Super SolutionClancy:
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
Jim
Thanks for the nice comments.  Maybe I should post here some of the information I sent you.  It might help other modelers getting into electric and/or Scale.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here