stunthanger.com
News:
CLICK HERE---->    <----CLICK HERE

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2014, 07:43:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Advertise Here
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Morris and Control Line Central-Unbelievable.....Please read!  (Read 5353 times)
JohnPrator
Trade Count: (0)
Lieutenant

« on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:01 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to fill everyone in on what happened to me last night. As some of you may know I had an incident" with my new SV-11(link to thread and video below). I'm a beginner but very excited about getting back into control line after many years away. I never was an Expert or anything of the sort, just flew them as a kid and had many fond memories. I've dabbled in RC but got out a few years ago. Bought myself a Vector 40, converted it to electric and was having a blast learning to fly again when I stuck that baby into the ground like a Javelin. I was a little frustrated but too excited to give up so I promptly ordered myself a Brodak SV-11. I really took my time on assembling this plane and managed to pull off a wonderful install of the electronics. Took her out to my flying spot and flew four 2.5 minute flights, just trying to get the hang of the plane and do a little trimming. I was still a little scared due to wadding up my Vector so badly so I was being extra careful and staying away from the ground as much as I could. Well, on the 5th flight it happened; a crimp let go on my new pre-built Tom Morris handle. Of course it was the up line so the plane promptly went into a series of outside loops until it finally met Mother Earth. Needless to say I was crushed. I picked up the pieces and went home vowing that I would continue, but, this turned out easier said than done. Every time I went up to my "hobby room" to try and get started on another plane it seemed as if some of the drive was just gone, actually haven't even been back up in the room for 4-5 days or so. I wasn't going to give up but I knew it would take a little time for me to get that fire lit back under my butt, well it happened last night!!

You see yesterday I had half heartedly sent a short email to Jim & Emily at CLC as I had bought the Tom Morris handle from them. I included a link to the video showing the SV-11 wreck and to be honest didn't expect much. I was surprised to see a quick reply from them stating they were very sorry to see this and would immediately be forwarding the email/video to Tom Morris. They seemed genuinely concerned. Great customer service from them, just don't see much of that anymore. So, I leave work and head home and upon getting home call my wife and she says; "A really nice man named Tom Morris called for you, he sounds like he's very upset that his product failed and wants to talk to you ASAP so here is his number, call him". So of course I do.

I dialed the number and Mr. Morris himself answered the phone and as soon as I told him who I was he said "ok, go ahead and let me have it, I'm ready for a full 5 minutes of a butt chewing", not his exact words but they were to that effect. I told him I wasn't upset with him at all, things happen. I was surprised at just how concerned Mr. Morris was, he was VERY humble, kind and apologetic and then get this, he said; "I'd like to build you a new plane John. I'm going to get a quick build kit and modify it to accept your electronics and send it to you". I could not believe it! I was floored, who offers that type of service? Who would go that far to "make things right"?!? I mean really, I thought I was going to get a "Hey man, sorry to see what happened. I'll send you a new handle and from now on you need to pull test them", but boy was I wrong! This man is going to have to purchase a new ARF SV-11, and build/modify it to accept electric power and ship it to me! I CANNOT say enough good things about how I've been treated over this accident. Jim & Emily were incredible and on top of the problem very quickly, and Tom Morris?? Holy Cow man, what can I say-just incredible that this man would offer to do so much over a little $20 handle!! Unbelievable.

I know I'm being a little long winded here but I feel that these people deserve recognition for their customer service which goes well above and beyond what some would call "good customer service". Though I never intended or even hoped to get a new plane, much less one built for me, out of this I have to admit that I am happier than you can imagine that I will soon be flying another SV-11 built by none other than Tom Morris himself!  I am now pumped! A new fire has been lit under my butt and I cannot wait to get in the air again! The failure of the crimp on that handle would not have stopped me from buying from Control Line Central nor would it have stopped me from continuing to buy Tom Morris products but I can tell you this; I will now damn well go out of my way to spend my money at CLC and fit any Tom Morris products into my plane that I possibly can. You just cannot ask for better treatment than this. So, I want to offer a HUGE Thank You!!! to Jim & Emily at Control Line Central for bringing this to Tom's attention and a HUGE Thank You to Mr. Tom Morris for stepping up to the plate and hitting a Home Run with/for me!! THANK YOU!!!! Hoff Hoff Hoff Hoff

Here is a link to the thread where I mentioned what happened;

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21338.0

Here is a direct link to the video of the SV-11 crash;

Sincerely,

John Prator

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:27:39 AM by JohnPrator » Logged

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Randy Cuberly
Server Supporter
Admiral

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to fill everyone in on what happened to me last night. As some of you may know I had an incident" with my new SV-11(link to thread and video below). I'm a beginner but very excited about getting back into control line after many years away. I never was an Expert or anything of the sort, just flew them as a kid and had many fond memories. I've dabbled in RC but got out a few years ago. Bought myself a Vector 40, converted it to electric and was having a blast learning to fly again when I stuck that baby into the ground like a Javelin. I was a little frustrated but too excited to give up so I promptly ordered myself a Brodak SV-11. I really took my time on assembling this plane and managed to pull off a wonderful install of the electronics. Took her out to my flying spot and flew four 2.5 minute flights, just trying to get the hang of the plane and do a little trimming. I was still a little scared due to wadding up my Vector so badly so I was being extra careful and staying away from the ground as much as I could. Well, on the 5th flight it happened; a crimp let go on my new pre-built Tom Morris handle. Of course it was the up line so the plane promptly went into a series of outside loops until it finally met Mother Earth. Needless to say I was crushed. I picked up the pieces and went home vowing that I would continue, but, this turned out easier said than done. Every time I went up to my "hobby room" to try and get started on another plane it seemed as if some of the drive was just gone, actually haven't even been back up in the room for 4-5 days or so. I wasn't going to give up but I knew it would take a little time for me to get that fire lit back under my butt, well it happened last night!!

You see yesterday I had half heartedly sent a short email to Jim & Emily at CLC as I had bought the Tom Morris handle from them. I included a link to the video showing the SV-11 wreck and to be honest didn't expect much. I was surprised to see a quick reply from them stating they were very sorry to see this and would immediately be forwarding the email/video to Tom Morris. They seemed genuinely concerned. Great customer service from them, just don't see much of that anymore. So, I leave work and head home and upon getting home call my wife and she says; "A really nice man named Tom Morris called for you, he sounds like he's very upset that his product failed and wants to talk to you ASAP so here is his number, call him". So of course I do.

I dialed the number and Mr. Morris himself answered the phone and as soon as I told him who I was he said "ok, go ahead and let me have it, I'm ready for a full 5 minutes of a butt chewing", not his exact words but they were to that effect. I told him I wasn't upset with him at all, things happen. I was surprised at just how concerned Mr. Morris was, he was VERY humble, kind and apologetic and then get this, he said; "I'd like to build you a new plane John. I'm going to get a quick build kit and modify it to accept your electronics and send it to you". I could not believe it! I was floored, who offers that type of service? Who would go that far to "make things right"?!? I mean really, I thought I was going to get a "Hey man, sorry to see what happened. I'll send you a new handle and from now on you need to pull test them", but boy was I wrong! This man is going to have to purchase a new ARF SV-11, and build/modify it to accept electric power and ship it to me! I CANNOT say enough good things about how I've been treated over this accident. Jim & Emily were incredible and on top of the problem very quickly, and Tom Morris?? Holy Cow man, what can I say-just incredible that this man would offer to do so much over a little $20 handle!! Unbelievable.

I know I'm being a little long winded here but I feel that these people deserve recognition for their customer service which goes well above and beyond what some would call "good customer service". Though I never intended or even hoped to get a new plane, much less one built for me, out of this I have to admit that I am happier than you can imagine that I will soon be flying another SV-11 built by none other than Tom Morris himself!   I am now pumped! A new fire has been lit under my butt and I cannot wait to get in the air again. The failure of the crimp on that handle would not have stopped me from buying from Control Line Central nor would it have stopped me from continuing to buy Tom Morris products but I can tell you this; I will now damn sure spend my money at CLC and fit any Tom Morris product into my plane that I possibly can. You just cannot ask for better treatment than this. So, I want to offer a HUGE Thank You!!! to Jim & Emily at Control Line Central for bringing this to Tom's attention and a HUGE Thank You to Mr. Tom Morris for stepping up to the plate and hitting a Home Run with/for me!! THANK YOU!!!! Hoff Hoff Hoff Hoff

Here is a link to the thread where I mentioned what happened;

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=21338.0

Here is a direct link to the video of the SV-11 crash;

Sincerely,

John Prator

John,
I doubt that anyone who knows these folks and has delt with them will be at all surprised at their reaction to your problem or their promt action to make things right.
These guys are part of the "stunt family"
 and are genuine people that always go beyond the normal client customer relationship.
Tom Morris is a very clever fellow , a teriffic builder, and general all around nice guy.
Welcome back to CL and here's hope for  a successful future in stunt.

Randy Cuberly

Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ
Jim Kraft
2013 Supporter
Admiral

AMA78415

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »

Tom is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He is not only honest as the day is long, he is also just great to be around. Sorry for your crash, but glad you are getting set up to have a go at it again. From the video, it looks like you are getting the flying part down pretty good. Here's hoping some smooth sailing for a while.

Jim Kraft
John KruziK
2014 Supporters
Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »

Thats great service!!!  On another note the plane looks repairable. So now you have 2 sv-11s Nice!!

AMA 874027
Crist Rigotti
Server Supporter
Admiral

Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »

Tom is absolutely the best.  Peroid.

Crist
AMA 482497
North Liberty, Iowa
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt
john e. holliday
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »

It has already been said and I will back it up.  The Snelsons and Tom Morris are the greatest.   Not seeing the plane in person, it does look repairable.   Wait til you spend all winter on a plane and don't even get a full flight.  Even had one didn't even make a lap from take off.   Neither of which were related lines or handle.   First one was a poor solder joint and the last one still haven't figured it out.  Remember you have your ups and downs.  In the long run the ups over come the downers.   Hoff

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

We are never too old to learn something stupid.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530
Larry Renger
Server Supporter
Admiral

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »

I am pleased and impressed with the follow on service you got, but I also have 2 words to say:  PULL TEST

Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all
DesignMan
Brian Massey
2014 Supporters
Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »

I had a similar experience; when bending a Tom Morris flap horn the bend showed signs of metal fatique. I shot a picture and sent it to Jim at CL central and he was more than eager to replace it, no questions asked.

Great service for sure.

Brian

While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA
Randy Powell
Admiral

TreeTop Flyer

randympowell@yahoo.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »

Being the paranoid sort, I usually check this sort of stuff, but even with that I've had my share of stuff fail (usually stuff I made so there's no one to gripe at but me). But my luck with Tom Morris stuff (and Tom his own self) and with Jim Snelson has been excellent. They are both stand up guys.

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711

Randy Powell
Clint Ormosen
2014 Supporters
Admiral

Clint Ormosen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:19:21 AM »

I've said it a dozen times here, but I'll say it again. CLC has the best service around. And that Morris guy is pretty cool too!

-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993
Russ Danneman
SH Supporter
Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »

that's some GREAT customer service. and some GREAT videos you got on there.    rd

FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS
Allen Goff
Charter Member
Captain

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 12:16:50 PM »

Tom is and has always been a class act. A role model for us all.

Blessings
Allen
Randy Powell
Admiral

TreeTop Flyer

randympowell@yahoo.com
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »

Think we have Tom and Jim blushing yet?   b1

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711

Randy Powell
Steve Helmick
AMA Member and supporter
Admiral

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »

It does look like the SV-11 is repairable, so don't give up on it. Take a good look at the wing and stab and make sure there's not hidden damage. Repairs may not look perfect, but you don't need perfect at this stage in your return to CL. Straight and well trimmed will go a long way.

I have done that negative altitude bottom on outsides 3 times. The first time, I did the same thing, held down elevator and it went back airborne. The plane was totalled, not when it first hit the ground, but after it stalled and spiked into the sod. Two subsequent occurances have been different...neutralized controls and the model (same one, twice!) just skidded along, with relatively minor damage. Stick with it.

Can't help but suggest that a hardpoint handle wouldn't have had this problem.  Not only that, but once you try a hardpoint handle and then fly with a cable handle, you will 86 the cable handle at first opportunity and never go back.  Serious! Tom and Jim sell those, too.  y1 Steve

We're always hearing about Social Security running out of money. How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

Which was more shocking to you? That there were 800,000 government non-essential employees being told to stay home because there was no money to pay them? Or that there were 800,000 non-essential government employees?
Tom Niebuhr
AMA Member
Admiral

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »

I have known Tom for a long time and he has supplied some items for my kits. I use his products in my own airplanes and in those that I have built for others. Tom is one of the best guys that God has ever placed on this earth.

AMA 7544
Clint Ormosen
2014 Supporters
Admiral

Clint Ormosen
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

John, I'd like to add that your crash videos are very entertaining. I'm tempted to say "keep 'em coming", but that just seems wrong. Grin

-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993
James Mills
AMA Member and supporter
Admiral

Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

Knowing Tom I am not surprised at the awesome service you are receiving.  You'll end up with a very nice plane with him building it for you.  Gotta love the ARMY guys .

James

AMA 491167
scott matthews
Commander

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »

This is absolutely great to hear for a change of pace. Its nice to know that some people still take exceptional pride in making the customer happy and having a repeat customer by standing behind the product that they sell. Hats off to Tom Morris for being a role model for what used to be the  standard behind, make your product as if you were buying it for yourself! Congratulations Scott
John Stiles
2014 Supporters
Admiral

one shot=one kill

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

I love my Tom Morris stuff, got 2 handles, never had any probs. You don't need to convince me, I'm sold on product. Hoff Cool video! Grin

John Stiles             Tulip, Ar.
Larry Cunningham
Red Hot Lover
2012 Supporter
Captain

Klaatu barada nikto my ass

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »

I'll also chime in here to agree that both Jim Snelson and Tom Morris are as fine of gentlemen and savvy modelers you're likely to encounter. I've known both of them for many years and they epitomize precisely what I admire most about CL Stunt.

Your SV-11 looks like it has a lot of potential. To me, it seemed to be flying pretty fast, plenty of power! It does look like it can be repaired.

I'd surmise the failure you experienced is a one-in-a-million incident, but the lesson is to develop the habit of always inspecting your equipment, doing pull tests, etc. And don't be too upset when bad things STILL occur. ;-(

My sympathies, mixed with strong encouragement to fix it and get on with working out the kinks, trimming, and enjoying this fine setup.

L.

"Never assume the obvious is true." -William Safire

AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..
Dick Pacini
2014 Supporters
Admiral

My Work Vehicle

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »

That is really a once in a blue moon incident.  If I was laying odds on control failure, I would pick leadouts first, lines second and handle last.

AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.
Will Hinton
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »

They just don't come any better than Tom.  Great guy, great friend, and a darned good singer/guitar player, too!!!!  We miss him these last few years at the FCM  weekend!  (Hint, hint.) Turn

John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com
George Bain
Admiral

Love people, Use things.

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »

Them handles ain't bad either!!  Hoff  Grin  Cool

George

George Bain
AMA 23454
jim gilmore
Admiral

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 08:25:15 PM »

I give highest points to all involved..
I wish every american company would stand behind their products like this.
Bill Heher
Fix-it
2013 Supporter
Captain

I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »

I am pleased and impressed with the follow on service you got, but I also have 2 words to say:  PULL TEST

I have to agree with Larry, a pull test may have avoided the crash. Even new equipment can fail - as can almost new, well maintained, and old / worn out stuff.

A sucessful pull test just gives you a good feeling, and a bit of a confidence boost before flight!

Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute
AMA 264898- since 1988!
wwwarbird
Server Supporter
Admiral

Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »

Working in retail, it's very refreshing to see a positive comment from a happy customer. Even with exceptional service we don't see that very often anymore, people seem to always be looking for fault somewhere with everything. In fact, I was nervous to even open up this post expecting just another uneducated rant from someone wanting to point a finger.

My dealings with Tom and the Snelsons have always been very satisfying as well.

Good luck with your new plane, never assume, and always check your equipment regularly, even if it's brand new. y1

Narrowly averting disaster since 1964!     Real model airplanes drip oil!

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A.
AMA #776548
PJ Rowland
AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
2012 Supporter
Admiral

Melbourne - AUSTRALIA

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 07:07:11 AM »

Thats great news.

We want people to stay in the sport, and it can detract people from continuing when they have a crash - even harden experts might want to " take a rest " when things dont go to plan..

ITs great to hear Tom decided to build you a new kit - When people say " Are you running tom morris controls ? You can say - Yes , and fuze, wings, cruthc.. ect..

Great work

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Ward Van Duzer
2013 Supporter
Admiral

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 07:15:44 AM »

No, my ego's not bruised, but I put up a one line post about ol' buddy Tom IMMEDIATELY AFTER Johns story, and it's gone.
How/why to posts disapear?

W.  Huh

OOOOOOPS! Just discovered a second "John" post on this subject in the electric column. Yup, there's my post for Tom!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!
You'll find me lurking around Bradenton FL.

Ward-O
AMA 6022
andrew stokey
Lieutenant

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »

Tom and CLC are aces!!!!!!  y1
Phil Coopy
Captain

BACK TO THE 20's!

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »

John,
I hope you don't mind but I just copied your post into our club newsletter. Our club members are mostly RC and don't get to see much of our C/L bunch, so I thought it would be a good example of how caring and helpful our C/L community really is, vendors included.

Phil
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:17:29 PM by Phil Coopy » Logged
Roger Vizioli
CLiner
2014 Supporters
Captain

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »

Tom Morris is the best.   Hoff
When I need items that can be obtained from Tom, I automatically order them from Tom.
NEVER any regrets!!!!
Roger Vizioli
IRKS CL
Space Coast, Florida

Roger Vizioli
AMA 2408
Florida/Space Coast
Mark Misegadis
Commander

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »

John, 

I think it has all been covererd except this... "Your Wife is Funny!"    Great supporter there!

Mark
Mike Griffin
2014 Supporters
Admiral

mike griffin
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »

There is not a lot I can add to the kind and true words that have been written here about Tom Morris and Jim Snelson.  I have met Jim once at King Orange and unfortunately I did not have a lot of time to spend with him there but immediately got the impression that Jim was not only a nice guy but a real attribute to our hobby.  I have dealt with Jim since then by e mail and he has been one prince of a fellow to work with.

I have been fortunate enough to spend personal time with Tom in his shop for a few days and I consider him my mentor.  When I decided to start cutting kits and building for people, I wanted to do it right so I went to see Tom.  The days I spent with him were invaluable to me personally and to my business.  I learned how to build and build right and will always be in debt to Tom for the time he took to mentor me.

While we are doing some complimenting, there is one other person who has had a great influence on me and my business.  His name is Eric Rule and he owns RSM.  When Eric and I talked about me distributing his products, I was flattered and honored that he had enough trust in me to offer me his products.  Eric has been another mentor to me and I am proud to distribute his kits and products through my business Stunt Suppy.

We are indeed fortunate to have these type of men supplying and supporting the great hobby of control line flying.

Michael Griffin

I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. But Im pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, Ill kill you all.

General James "Mad Dog" Mattis  USMC Retired
Ty Marcucci
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »

I first met Tom Morris at his house about 1998 and was really impressed with his shop. Look  under "gentleman", "nice guy", or "sincere person" in any dictionary and there will be Toms picture. He stands behind all his products, 100%.
I am proud to call him my friend. Hoff

Ty Marcucci
JohnPrator
Lieutenant

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »

John,
I hope you don't mind but I just copied your post into our club newsletter. Our club members are mostly RC and don't get to see much of our C/L bunch, so I thought it would be a good example of how caring and helpful our C/L community really is, vendors included.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I don't mind at all, I hope it helps. Would like to read the newsletter when it comes out if you can provide a link.

Thank you for all the kind comments, very much appreciated and I'm sure CLC and Mr. Morris are happy to see they are so highly regarded(though I'm pretty sure they were aware of this anyway). Thanks to all!! I CANNOT wait to get my new plane!!!

John

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
JohnPrator
Lieutenant

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »

Just thought I'd post a little update in here for y'all. Yesterday I called Col. Morris just to touch base with him and to also make sure he received the package I sent to him. I have noticed that he kept referring to what he called a "quick build kit", being a beginner I was thinking ARF. So after us talking for a bit it was obvious I was confused as to exactly what a "quick build kit" is. I started questioning him more thoroughly; "So, it's not an ARF"?? and he said no, no, it will come like a component kit shipped to you in a plywood box. So of course my beginner brain is even more confused and I continue; "So, do you take an ARC and modify it?" Of course he's trying to be patient with me and says no, I don't like those, I'll build it from plans so it's lighter, straighter and much stronger. So I say ohhh, you're going to actually build me a plane from a kit!! Geez, I feel terrible that you would go thru that much effort/work". I was still wrong. Rather than drag this out let me just get to the point and cut this story short; it is not an ARF, it is not an ARC, it's not even from a kit. This man is building this plane pretty much from SCRATCH!! He is going to cut out every single piece by hand using his premade templates! I couldn't believe it, I was floored. Wow, I just don't know what to say, I feel just like these little smiley guys-> He Haw Peace

Man am I excited now, I'm going to be scared to death to fly this plane. I think I'll just park it there on the sidelines and brag about my Tom Morris built plane strutting around it like I know what I'm doing but when someone asks to see it fly I'll come up with some excuse like "Ahh, would love to but I'm still working on getting the BOM thing figured out" or some such nonsense. I'll just fly the P-40 for a while until I'm darn sure I'm ready for this baby. I just cannot wait to see this plane, time is going to tick by like an eternity, but, I must...be....patient...........

john e. holliday
2014 Supporters
Admiral

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »

If you had his book you would see how he does it.  One picture showed 10 wings ready to cover.  He also shows the jig for cutting the ribs.   A lot of great hints and a little history of how he came to the millenium wing constriction.   Hoff

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

We are never too old to learn something stupid.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days lived.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530
Tags: Tom Morris  CLC  Customer Service 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: