News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Well, there goes the SV-11.....  (Read 1838 times)

Offline JohnPrator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Well, there goes the SV-11.....
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »
Ok I cannot believe this one. My new SV-11 lasted exactly 4.5 flights.  :'( On the 5th flight I was just lazily poking around and being extra safe as I was still a little "gun shy" over the Vector incident when the crimp on my Bob Morris handle(that I bought preassembled!) let go on the up line! This is VERY frustrating, even though it was an ARF it still took me quite some time to get this one put together the way I wanted it; excellent motor install, arming switch, beautiful wiring job and I installed the ESC in the wing saddle with some great cooling duct work too! I'm trying really hard here but it sure seems that if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. There goes another $200.... ''

My wife caught it on video(of course) if you'd like to see it happen;

John
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Well, there goes the SV-11.....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
Looks like it was flying pretty good too!! It does look fixable. Did you damage the motor or battery? I always run my own cables though my handles because that's exactly what I don't want to happen to me. I also change them often too. If you do fix it go over it carefully to make sure there is no hidden damage.
AMA 98010

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »
Real sorry to see that John....was going so nice too.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline John r Kamps

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 06:47:55 PM »
Wow!!!!!! I sure hope you get an apology and a full refund for that handle.

John.

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:44:45 AM »
Really sorry to see that... you've been trying so hard and doing so well too!  Keep it up mate, don't give up! 

Get into the habit of doing pull tests!

Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
dammit-dammit-DAMMIT!  The bird was really flying well.  What a frustrating way for it to end. 

It looks like the wing and stab could be salvageable.  I hope you can rebuild - or at least build a new fuse for the wing & tail.  Or call up Brodak and see if they can sell you a new fuse. 

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! THAT-IS-NOT-FAIR!!!!!!!  HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
that SUCKS!!!!!

keep at it tho - dont let it beat ya!.

As Warren said - get into the habit of doing a pull test before you fly - it is something that we dont do often enough on "practise" days - it may have saved you on this one.....
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
John,

For what it is worth and in this case it is too late so not worth anything. This happened to me (many many years ago) when I was a kid. I found that if you let the remaining line go a bit slack during the climbing phase of the loops, you can control the altitude of the loop. If you can keep it flying until the motor stops, you have a chance of minimizing the damage when it does finally hit the ground.  y1
Of course you didn't have time to adjust in this case but maybe next time (hope there never is a next time!!!).  :!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:45:50 PM »
John,

For what it is worth and in this case it is too late so not worth anything. This happened to me (many many years ago) when I was a kid. I found that if you let the remaining line go a bit slack during the climbing phase of the loops, you can control the altitude of the loop. If you can keep it flying until the motor stops, you have a chance of minimizing the damage when it does finally hit the ground.  y1
Of course you didn't have time to adjust in this case but maybe next time (hope there never is a next time!!!).  :!

I think he said the up line let loose - goes splat in 1/2 second   ~^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
I appreciate everyone's comments/help, hopefully I can get another one in the air soon as I'd really like to get more flying time rather than crashing time someday soon...

I noticed in the video if you watch it closely right about the 1:27 mark the plane bobbles downward for just a second. Then at about 1:30 on the third inside "loop" I remember that it seemed to almost slip/straighten out for a second, you can see this at the top of the third "loop". Finally at 1:56 the line slips out of the crimp. I'm wondering if those subtle little signs above at 1:27 and 1:30 were the line slipping in the crimp just a little at a time?

Thanks to all of you for the support, much appreciated. I have been trying hard and it seems Mr Murphy has been by my side the entire time, but, I'm not going to give up. If you notice I was flying very carefully, not doing anything risky, staying far away from Mother Earth yet still broke yet another plane. I am frustrated, no doubt about that, but I'll still keep trying. Luckily I have an ARF P-40 so I think I'm going to put it together and I will double check everything I can think of. I'm a Spear Fisherman so I have all the goodies to redo all the cables in that handle the correct way. If my setups can hold a pissed off 50 pound Amber Jack it can hold these planes-I hope!  ;D

PS-Ya gotta love my wife's talking to herself(needing to got to the bathroom etc.) and then giggling about me wadding up another one! She just seems to think this is hilarious... ''
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
I appreciate everyone's comments/help, hopefully I can get another one in the air soon as I'd really like to get more flying time rather than crashing time someday soon...

I noticed in the video if you watch it closely right about the 1:27 mark the plane bobbles downward for just a second. Then at about 1:30 on the third inside "loop" I remember that it seemed to almost slip/straighten out for a second, you can see this at the top of the third "loop". Finally at 1:56 the line slips out of the crimp. I'm wondering if those subtle little signs above at 1:27 and 1:30 were the line slipping in the crimp just a little at a time?

Thanks to all of you for the support, much appreciated. I have been trying hard and it seems Mr Murphy has been by my side the entire time, but, I'm not going to give up. If you notice I was flying very carefully, not doing anything risky, staying far away from Mother Earth yet still broke yet another plane. I am frustrated, no doubt about that, but I'll still keep trying. Luckily I have an ARF P-40 so I think I'm going to put it together and I will double check everything I can think of. I'm a Spear Fisherman so I have all the goodies to redo all the cables in that handle the correct way. If my setups can hold a pissed off 50 pound Amber Jack it can hold these planes-I hope!  ;D

PS-Ya gotta love my wife's talking to herself(needing to got to the bathroom etc.) and then giggling about me wadding up another one! She just seems to think this is hilarious... ''

Personally I have never trusted a crimp connection.  I wrap my own lines - have never had one turn loose. My Extra 300S (10# with a 120 4C for power) pulls like a bear at full throttle. You have to put you back into it to keep it under controll.  I use the Tom More hard point Handel with safety nuts added to the I-bolts.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
I lliked your wife's comments! Giving input to the trim of the plane that it needs more tip weight. Man, that is getting into it! And she doesn't shake shake the camera with the crash to boot! Doesn't get much better than that in my opinion!

bob branch ~>

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »
She's a riot and thinks it's funny when I wad one up. She's used to seeing it happen too, that girl has seen me break more airplanes and helicopters than you can imagine. I was taught to fly heli's by a famous heli pilot by the name of Curtis Youngblood back when he was in college and she used to just sit back and giggle at him getting frustrated at me and my antics. Man that boy sure could fly...

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
I've always thought those electric engines had too much power.

It looks repairable. - could have been ALOT worse.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 07:10:34 AM »
I think I would go to hard point handles. two less crimps to worry about
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »
Two tail booms , and youkll have youself a Vampire Jet .
 Mk 1s had Square fins.Plastic cover for nose ?or foam .

If the wings O.K.

Theres shut of thingos for those motors that shutem down if the prop hits
your finger or other things. Looks like the last loop was a carrier launch .

Two nails in a fence and see if you can break the lines teaches you a few things.
They dont have to be on the model , .018 takes a fair haul to get it stretching .

Ive had twangs of stretch in bottoms of loops or Square loops in 20 Knot wind
with a 2 kilo plane . Regard it a bit like steer wrestling at times.
Maintain the initiative , a bit like staying ahead of those fish .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here