News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gieseke Nobler - Finished photos  (Read 16701 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Gieseke Nobler - Finished photos
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:06:10 AM »
Well finally put the finishing Clear coat and final touches on my 1968 Gieseke Nobler.

For 2011 US NATS Classic Stunt.

Have not flown it yet - that should happen shortly once I terminate the line ends.

Final weight in Clear is 51 oz. Which is perfect ( consider 45 - 47 oz with fox 35 - This has Stalker .61 ) Its about 2 oz lighter than my previous 51 GMA Nobler which means only good things.

I'm pleased with how it turned out. It was hard to come up with an original paint scheme - I had toyed with the idea of painting an exact copy of the 74 World champs model - others have done so before and it always looks good.. Once I decided to tackle the 2004 Paint scheme the next task was to see how feasable transferring a paint scheme designed for a model with completely different moments and getting it to look the same. I opted to take an approach of style cues. Taking what works from the 04 scheme and making it work visually on a smaller model.

I decided not to put the "bear" reference mainly because its not what we all know as a "Bear" That is reserved for the newer designs. Instead USA was chosen. Incidentally all the fonts on the model are the same - which is Eurotechnic Extended. - Without having the ACTUAL model infront of me - I had several photos and looking at the BEAR font we can extrapolate the typeface - and thats what it came up with. I dont know with any certainty if this was the font chosen but it looks right and its what the computer said its most likely to be.  

I also wanted to pay homage to the style cues of the 1974 model - Hence the Spats are painted the same way - and also the location of the AMA registration number is located in a simlar size and location. I tried to take the best from all the models and combine it to pay tribute to a great design. '

There is some more info on the building of it in Classic planes section of the Forum.

Final Clear is PPG Global

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:28:16 AM by PJ Rowland »
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
Re: Gieseke Nobler - Finished photos
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »
PJ,

That is drop dead gorgeous!!!  I guess I have to strip the pink and white finish off mine now.
Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:24 AM »
That looks Great PJ. The only question I have is......do you have a day job? It is all I can do to get one a year finished.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:04 AM »
Thanks Derek :)

Sure I do...... but I'm not married and I don't have 3 kids   ;D  

I also don't have any issues with using the phrase " Cant go out tonight need to do plane stuff for America " to my mates - they all know how important my flying is, and they respect it.

I'm just in a building bug phase at the moment - but there is nothing else really in the pipeline, once the Nats is over with - things will return to normal.. But I can basically get a model finished every 3 - 4 months If I work solid.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »
What kind of paint did you use. Very very nice.

Offline Chris Edinger

• Commander
  • Hawker Hurricane
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 07:40:33 AM »
PJ..... what Dennis said.. what kind of paint.... whew... drop dead gorgeous....
Lee's Summit MO
AMA 896082

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 07:52:54 AM »
That's great, in a couple of different ways.

There's one thing that puzzles me, though: why dont the blue stripes meet at the leading edge?
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline mike hartung

• aeronut
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:48:52 AM »
WOW, thats a great looking airplane!!! H^^
blue skys and tail winds to all.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
Looks great, really like the trim scheem.  
Nice shine, did you have to buff it ?
How did you do the outlined "NOBLER" lettering ?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:08:57 PM by Allan Perret »
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
Wow PJ, That is truely amazing. I'll blame the looks of my planes on 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
Where did you buy that plastic Nobler?  That can't possibly be painted. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
PJ,

I am not impressed............I AM IN AWE!!!  This is just an outstanding modern interpretation of a truly classic redesign of GMA's original.  For those of us fortunate to have seen Bob fly those planes puffing on his pipe while his Fox 35s grumbled and slobbered as he showed us the essence of style and art in flight, this is a well deserved tribute in excellence from one artist(you) to another, Mr. Bob Gieseke.  BRAVO!
PT Granderson

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
P.J.
That is STUNNING! BW@

If I drive over to your house how much would you charge to paint an airplane?

David

David Roland

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »
That's great, in a couple of different ways.

There's one thing that puzzles me, though: why dont the blue stripes meet at the leading edge?

because that is a cool little detail.'

looks great - good work young man!! 
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »
THAT IS FREAKING GORGEOUS PJ!!!!!!!  I'm looking foward to seeing it!!! #^
Matt Colan

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »
PJ,

That is drop dead gorgeous!!!  I guess I have to strip the pink and white finish off mine now.
It is a great looking Nobler. And yes you do need to get that pink off your plane Zuriel!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:47:11 PM by Paul Taylor »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »
Impressive H^^
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Online George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
OK, how much for the plane? 

That is one great looking plane.

Offline Rafael Gonzalez

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
Very impressive. I need to wipe the drool of my chin... H^^

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 04:30:46 PM »
Thanks everyone.

The paint is custom mix colour with the basis of the paint being Mazda Velocity red with a little more pearl added.

It hasnt been buffed yet, I took PTGs advice last timeand sanded between coats of clear and it flowed quite nicely I will buff it a little later on.

Lettering it outlined in silver computer cut vinyl.

Ptg - Thanks for your praise - I am always ALWAYS in awe of everything you paint Im pleased you like it as much as. You got it in 1 It was an artistic interpretation.

Look its not perfect - there are things on it im not happy about - but im sure if you ask anyone getting good AP are they happy the answer is probably not.

Sorry I dont do other models. Im happy to consult on scheme idea's or help out - Like I did with Matt C;s red TP.

One of my hopes is that Bob Gieseke will be at the Nats in 2011 and gets a chance to see it fly. When he asks what engine it has I want to cup my hand and say " Gorilla balls "  ;D Another dream would be to have him fly it after the nats. -

Classic is only 1 day so the time it will be out flying will probably be short - Im going over mainly to try & make Top 20. Obviously I want to do well in classic but not at the expense of my main objective.

Offline DanielGelinas

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
HOLY COW thats a nice plane!!! ~^

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »
P J: That looks great. Can you send me some pics with the
engine installed for the website. The earlier pics you e-mailed
were too large and ended up pixelized.

Thanks, Steve

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
Sure thing Steve - I will take some new photo's in a smaller file size - the engine will be installed this weekend. - I will shoot some up close pics for you.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
Sure thing Steve - I will take some new photo's in a smaller file size - the engine will be installed this weekend. - I will shoot some up close pics for you.
Please post engine pics here also.  I have a Stalker 61 and you got me thinking about this "Muscle Car" approach.  Did you need a lot of tailweight for balance ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 06:04:51 PM »
I needed ZERO tailweight.

Ive mentioned this before : The total weight of the .61 and the weight distribution is similar to an OS35 with muffler. What you need to keep in mind is that the .61 is actually further back in the model than what a .35 is by about 1 inches. To get the Spinner to be in the same location as shown on the plans. It sits pretty close to the tank.  There is a photo of it in primer with the engine and cowl installed in classic section of the forum.

When you look at the total weight including balance point of a os .35 with muffler its almost identical to the stalker .61 with the lightweight rear exhaust muffler - all of this weight is moved back in the model fuselage. Compared to a 35 with a heavy muffler and sitting up much closer to the front of the model.  Initally with my 1951 GMA .61 nobler we built in the provision for adjustable rear tailweight but non was needed. I also use a light weight carbon spinner. It balances perfectly.

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 06:15:23 PM »
How much did you widen the fuselage to accomodate the wider engine and room for bigger tank. I am tempted to put my stalker 51RE in an old TF gieseke kit I have on the shelf.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »
Its *entirely* too gorgeous!

Incredible beautiful work and finish. It may be too nice to compete.. ;->

L.

PS - Forgot to mention, the wheel pants are particularly awesome.

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing." -John Keats

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:50:02 PM by Larry Cunningham »
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 06:58:37 PM »
I would have to get the plan and measure - Its a REALLY tight fit width wise.
I know with 100% certainty that the depth wasnt altered - I think that is obvious from the photo - the pipe almost sticks out through the rear cooling housing.

No moments were changed the wing wasnt moved - its 100% to plan the only real challenge was the funny scoop in the cowl it was not possible to build this in and be able to get my finger over the venturi for prime. but the outline shape is pretty close at the front.

It was VERY important to me to get everything sitting where it was located on the plan - Undercart location - rear scoop rear curve - wing , flaps, stab fin ect..

I will measure the plan tonight - I just cannot recall when I made the crutch if it was widened to the outline plan - If It has been changed it would only be by a small amount. Im also running 2" spinner I dont think the original ran that size. But tonight I will pull the plan out and look at it and confirm exact change.

The whole "muscle car" thing is fair apt description. It works - people have seen it and agreed. One comment I received at the last nats was " Best running engine setup at the Nats"  Which I felt was kind words.

Too pretty to compete with ? Never..... There are mistakes when you look close - nothing is every perfect. - I will say Im 100% happy with the spats and landing gear.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 07:54:22 AM »
I measured the Plan tonight - and measured the model - the exact alteration was to widen the front of the fuse just under 1/4 "

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:59 AM »
OK that sounds very doable for me to install the stalker 51RE, might need to get a little creative to sqeeze a 6.5oz thank behind it ( I plan on running 10%fuel in it) for enough volume. Thanks for the info.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
Lost for words to describe your work.  H^^   Can you capsulize your finishing process and materials used?  y1
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Finishing process is standard PTG method as described in Stunt news. - It works everytime.
sand frame
thin dope
sand
Carbon Veil,
sand
primer
sand
paint
sand
clear
sand.

Paint is Madza Velocity Red Over a base of white Alpine red.

PPG Clear.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:01:16 PM by PJ Rowland »

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Another beautiful plane, do you have any that are less then amazing!
AMA 874027

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 02:58:39 AM »
Its far from perfect - When you look at it up close there are quite a few things on it that I'm not pleased with - however I am pleased with it for the most part.

Finished buffing this out also - Here are some up close pics of various parts.

Offline Jose Javier Rodriguez

• Ensign
  • Control Line forever.
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:42 AM »
spectacular finish. very nice.
Great work  ;D

Offline Joe Gieseke

• Ensign
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 06:22:16 PM »

One of my hopes is that Bob Gieseke will be at the Nats in 2011 and gets a chance to see it fly. When he asks what engine it has I want to cup my hand and say " Gorilla balls "  ;D Another dream would be to have him fly it after the nats. -

Did you make it to the Nats with this plane, it looks nice and I'm sure Bob got a kick out of it.

Joe G.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
Yes I flew this in Classic at the US NATS and placed 2nd - onyl 4 points behind 1st.

I also flew it in Open Aerobatics - Qualified for the Top 20 Finals - placed 16th Overall.

Bob did like the plane yes - He mentioned he was building an exact copy.

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »

It hasnt been buffed yet.....

IT HASNT BEEN BUFFED YET!?!!  :)  :)

Seriously, very nice work!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here