General control line discussion > Open Forum

What is the advantage of an I beam wing?

<< < (9/10) > >>

Andrew Tinsley:
Hi Mike,
  Thanks for your suggestion of the millenium wing. The snag is I do not have a clue as to how you build one! I must start doing a search and working out how it is constructed! Seems as if the learning process is always continuing and no bad thing too. Thank you Stunthanger for the impetus in my education.

Regards,

Andrew.

Bill Little:
HI All,

I would never even attempt to contradict Denny Adamisin! He's above and beyond my level in this hobby/sport.  His knowledge and experience (and Dave's) eclipses mine by light years.  Having said that, I base all my I-Beam, knowledge on the thoughts and work of  a certain Mr. William Werwage.  He's built a couple in his day.  His words to me were to NEVER use Monocoat on an I-Beam model.  It flexes too much and will fail.  Our "most flown" model has possibly been Aaron's Ares.  Probably as many flights over the years as any model we have had.  The wing has never failed and is as good today as it was over 15 years ago when built.  I have seen I-Beam wings with monocoat fail.  That's a "no brainer" in my book.  No offense to anyone intended.

Big Bear

Patrick Finnigan:
What was The Bad News plane that you were talking about?  700 sq in wing sounds intriguing.

I have a Dumas Crusader kit that has an I beam wing. I'm not sure why they put an I beam on a carrier plane, but I've been interested in them (I beamers) ever since I got the the kit 25 years ago.  One of these days I may actually build it.

Paul Walker:

--- Quote from: Jim Pollock on February 26, 2011, 05:34:20 PM ---Well,

Lets see now,  The Bad News was an I beamer and it sported nearly 700 Sq Inches I believe.  I beamers do look very cool, and Ty are you going to paint your Minado like either of the two that Tom Lay had ahold of?  Minado = pretiest plane ever to grace a control line circle!

Jim Pollock   H^^

--- End quote ---

Sorry, no I beam Bad News planes. Either built up "C" tube or foamers.

There were several I beam Impacts though!

Robby Hunt:
For Reals???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version